Just when you thought you’d seen it all when it comes to the best gear for fall, along comes today’s #OOTD to shake up how you layer up with a shirt jacket this season. Think of the best shirt jackets as a unique style transition through chilly weather, able to be worn right now as it gets slightly colder, and then effective enough to be layered up when the snow really starts to fall in earnest (for most of us, that is). And with that being said, that’s why we’re highlighting the ever-versatile, throwback-inspired Wallace & Barnes Stretch Canvas Shirt Jacket, a tough-yet-comfortable offering from J. Crew’s workwear-heavy, truly excellent Wallace & Barnes line. The great thing about the shirt jacket, as you’ll see, is the variety and versatility it gives. The best shirt jacket is able to be worn as a stylish blazer replacement to the office, especially when paired up with the slim Oxford shirt you’re going to see below. Think of this shirt jacket and this ensemble as your go-anywhere, do-anything outfit. It works to wear to the office before getting out of town on the weekend. It’s packed with the kind of cool, stylish-yet-classic touches that make it easy for a laidback date night. Want to grab a beer at your favorite brewpub? You’ll find these gear picks (particularly the rugged leather boots on display) to be just right. And before we go any further, know that we’re recommending … cargo pants, also from Wallace & Barnes. Don’t worry — these deliver the goods. Let’s get to it!
- The Shirt Jacket: Wallace & Barnes Stretch Canvas Shirt Jacket, $98 — When you want a shirt jacket that channels old-school cool & rugged style with modern wearability, you want this number from Wallace & Barnes.
- The Shirt: Mack Weldon 37.5 Performance Oxford, $88 — Pair up this newly classic Oxford shirt (made with sweat-preventing 37.5® Technology), to take on the day — no matter where you go. Big fan of its slim fit and feel (thanks to the brand for sending!).
- The Pants: Wallace & Barnes Ripstop Brigade Cargo Pants, $148 — OK, I know what you’re thinking … cargo pants?? Yes, yes indeed. Wallace & Barnes (of J. Crew fame) takes the cargo pant, slims it down, roughs it up & makes it highly functional for fall.
- The Boots: Wolverine Evans Boots, $400 — Given that we’re working with a rugged shirt jacket and cargo pants (yep!), a pair of the best leather boots from Wolverine only seems fitting, yes? Yes.
- The Watch: Timex Standard 40mm Leather Strap Watch, $79 — For only $79, you’re getting easily one of the best men’s leather watches out there, one that’s understated and yet reliably pairs up with this #OOTD.
- The Everyday Carry: WP Standard Canvas Travel Bag, $298 — Heading to the office and then out on a weekend trip? Trekking across town? Loading up your gear to get some work done at a local coffee shop? Grab this WP Standard canvas bag, one of the best daily bags for the price you can find.
- The Wallet: Tanner Goods Utility Bifold, $110 — Lest we forget, the right leather wallet belongs in your pocket (and your WP Standard canvas bag) no matter where you’re headed. Tanner Goods has you covered.
- The Hat: Ebbets Field Flannels x Faribault Vintage Ballcap, $60 — Now, the hat is optional here, but for chilly fall weather and casual fall weekends aplenty, there’s nothing like an American-made ballcap from Ebbets Field Flannels & Faribault.
OK, so we mentioned that we’d be spotlighting cargo pants in this ensemble … hopefully, that didn’t scare you away?? At any rate, the key here is recognizing that this particular #OOTD takes the principles and pieces you know and love (I.E. A classic Oxford shirt and rugged leather boots) and flips them around a bit. Instead of a navy cotton blazer, we’ve got the aforementioned cotton canvas shirt jacket. As opposed to classic chinos, we’re swapping in those cargo pants. The result is an outfit that feels fresh and modern, as ready to grab a fall Old Fashioned as it is to head to the office (provided you can wear this sort of gear there). Either way, this look is all about rugged versatility. Throw in a stylish leather watch and a rugged WP Standard canvas bag, and you’re even ready for a bit of light travel. Of course, the right accessories always elevate an outfit, hence an American-made ballcap for casually rugged fall style — accompanied by the right leather wallet, of course. With fall in full swing, the best thing you can do is shake up how you dress on the daily, and again, one of the best shirt jackets is here to help you do so in style. Now, let’s get out there and get to it!