If you thought you knew everything about how to wear chinos for summer, I’m here to tell you to think again. Namely, the best men’s chinos are, first and foremost, going to shake up exactly how you pull together the rest of the look — one great piece can’t help but elevate the rest of your game. Of course, when you kick off your #OOTD with Todd Snyder slim-fit chinos, things get a whole lot cooler (and better) from there. We’ve talked plenty on the blog about how to wear chinos, but now that we’re essentially entering July (gasp!), maybe you want to switch things up a bit. Today, I’ll give you a few pointers on how to do just that. While you could easily wear, say, one of the best Oxford shirts and a navy cotton blazer with this look, we’ll be taking it a more casual, rugged direction. For instance: A stylish lightweight short-sleeve shirt does the heavy lifting here, and a more traditional summer jacket is swapped out with a durable chore jacket for unique summer style. Naturally, we’ll dive into some stylish everyday carry essentials and other gear picks that are crucial to giving this look its seriously cool, modern appeal. But lest we forget: You’ve got to get the best chinos for men to make it all work, so let’s start there. Enjoy the full ensemble below, folks.
- The Chinos: Todd Snyder Slim-Fit Tab Front Stretch Chinos, $118 — Trust me — any summer #OOTD should start with the best men’s chinos, and these Todd Snyder chinos fit that definition perfectly. Dressy-yet-laidback, highly versatile … some of the best pants for men this season, easily.
- The Stylish Short-Sleeve Shirt: Buck Mason Draped Twill Shirt, $85 — Just as reliably as Buck Mason makes one of the best denim shirts, so to do they come through with one of the best short-sleeve shirts for summer.
- The Summer Jacket: Freemans Sporting Club Chore Jacket, $330 — To shake things up a bit, reach for a rugged chore jacket, one made from lightweight Japanese denim, to layer up on breezy summer days and nights.
- The Perfect Summer Shoes: Nisolo Chamberlain Penny Loafers, $124 — This #OOTD mixes high and low, like a rugged chore jacket alongside slim chinos, so best keep mixing it up with these stylish leather loafers.
- The Watch: VAER Watches C5 Heritage Leather Watch, $250 — You know what this ensemble needs? A stylish leather watch, one that’s going to add some rugged polish to this look (which itself is suited for date night at home or to-go cocktails).
- The Belt: Billykirk No. 117 Mechanic’s Belt, $99 — We’re all about the accessories here on the blog, and the best leather belt is a must-have — especially when it’s made by Billykirk. Go ahead and mix your leather shades here — I won’t tell a soul.
- The Sunglasses: Roav Lennox Foldable Sunglasses, $175 — Yes, that’s right — you can fold these stylish sunglasses up and take ’em with you on the go. Are they the coolest sunglasses I’ve seen in some time because of that? Yessir.
- The Summer Sipper: Proper No. Twelve Irish Whiskey, Price Varies — Let’s talk whiskey for one second. While I love a summer beer as much as the next guy, I’ve found Proper No. Twelve to be a surprisingly enjoyable summer sipper when enjoyed on the rocks or with some club soda. Perhaps you’ll feel the same about Connor McGregor’s whiskey brand, no?
Alright, so perhaps this #OOTD is now changing how you think about, well, how to wear chinos this summer, right? Critically, it all starts with some Todd Snyder chinos that balance dressy and casual style quite nicely (if I do say so myself). We’ll take it a step further with something that’s perhaps expected, but no less cool — one of the best short-sleeve shirts for summer, courtesy of our pals at Buck Mason. How do you shake things up even further beyond that? Go for a rugged chore jacket to give this look some extra edge, then slide right into stylish leather loafers for a nice change of pace (seriously, Nisolo makes some of the most sustainable men’s footwear out there, too). Naturally, this look calls for stylish accessories that stand out in the right way — enter the best leather belt from Billykirk, then accent it with a stylish leather watch from VAER Watches for all-day style and durability. And for functional day-to-night style on the go (socially distanced), I think you’ll certainly find some unique, foldable sunglasses are just the right move here. Pop ’em in the pocket of your denim chore jacket when the sun goes down. Of course, what’s this look missing? Why a fine summer sipper in the form of Proper No. Twelve whiskey — how’s that sound? Can’t get any better. If you’ve got thoughts on this look, head to Twitter to give me your take. Thanks for reading — stay stylish!