A go-to pair of classic dark blue denim for any day of the week.
If you peruse the pages of The Style Guide with any frequency, there are classic men’s style brands (or newly classic men’s style brands!) that come up from time to time. Across the years, Mott & Bow has been one of those brands, a reliable producer of the best denim for men — including the utterly timeless Mott and Bow Crosby Denim as seen above. What makes them so special? That’s why we’re here, folks. (On that note, head to this link to read my Mott and Bow product review). From the brand’s classic denim shirts to its mobile, versatile classic dark blue denim, this quickly growing E-commerce brand (based in NYC) makes it surprisingly easy for guys to find a great-fitting pair of jeans, seeing as they offer fits ranging from Straight to Skinny. The Mott and Bow Crosby Denim are of the slim variety, and that should sit just right for most of us guys. And lest this all start to sound too complex or too pricey — they’re just jeans, after all — know that Mott and Bow offers a free try-on size option. And when you consider the agreeable pricing (the Mott and Bow Crosby Denim start at just $108), you’re getting a pair of the best men’s blue jeans for a downright steal.
SHOP: The Mott and Bow Crosby Denim
A fit that’s slim but not too slim, ideal for any season.
And whether or not you’ve tried a pair from them before, you should know that Mott and Bow denim doesn’t pull any punches in terms of style points or quality, either. Case in point: These stylish blue jeans are made from an agreeable 12.2oz. cotton denim & feature 2 percent elastane. In short, that means these are classic blue jeans through and through, neither too heavy (a la selvedge) or too lightweight and stretch (a la cheap jeans from a fast fashion retailer). Yes indeed, these are some of the best men’s jeans on the market — and the use of a pleasing 6-month wash. For the unitiated, that involves using a resin spray, hand scraping & drying across multiple steps — resulting in the classic Mott and Bow look and finish you see today. Because the Mott and Bow Crosby Denim are such a timeless pair of denim, that means you can wear them with everything from a charcoal Oxford shirt and classic suede chukka boots to a crisp white tee and your favorite pair of leather sneakers. And when fall rolls around, throw on a rugged chambray shirt, a classic shawl cardigan and your favorite pair of leather boots to head out for a pint (or heck, a day at the office). There’s really no wrong way to go about wearing the Mott and Bow Crosby Denim, I can guarantee that.
SHOP: The Mott and Bow Crosby Denim
A classic flannel shirt you should pre-fund ASAP from Taylor Stitch.
Behold, my friends, the latest rugged flannel shirt to grace the pages of The Style Guide — and while the calendar reads August, there’s never been a better time than the present to pre-fund the Taylor Stitch Yosemite Shirt. It’s a new, stone-cold classic from the Taylor Stitch Sea Ranch Collection, and in my humble opinion, it’s the perfect way to kick off the weekend. I certainly wish it was chilly enough to wear the Yosemite Shirt these next few days; as we speak, I’m en route to Chicago to celebrate the bachelor weekend of my great friend and college newspaper colleague Mr. Dillon Davis! On the docket? Cold beer, a Chicago Cubs game & plenty of time well-spent catching up with old friends. To follow along with all the fun, head to my Instagram. It’s a treat to be in Chicago so soon again after my last visit for Lollapalooza 2019 — during that trip, I was fortunate enough to check out Revolution Brewing as well as Dry Hop Brewers, and I’m sure more delicious Chicago craft beer is on tap this weekend. What’s on your weekend itinerary? Let me know on Twitter, and kick off your weekend with the best early fall style essentials and reads below.
- ‘Tis the season to shop for the best men’s chukka boots, correct? Correct. That’s why I had a blast covering the astoundingly stylish, rugged, brand-new Rhodes Felix Chukka Boots from Huckberry. Head to GearMoose to learn more, and then circle back to the blog to learn why you need a pair of Rhodes leather boots in time for fall.
- Let’s move onward from rugged chukka boots back toward something even more noticeable — your skincare routine. Specifically, I’ve had fun lately testing out and enjoying West Skincare, a brand offering up a “fewer, better products” philosophy that I think is right up your alley if you want to shake up your grooming essentials. Read my full feature at The Manual.
- We’ll close things out today by circling back to the best leather sneakers for fall. If you haven’t caught my feature on Rancourt & Co. for this very Web site, it would behoove you to do so. The Rancourt & Co. Carson Low are as easy to wear with slim faded denim as they are with chinos and a classic chambray shirt, and they’ll look even better as time goes on. OK, get to shopping!
Alright, so before we go, I’ve got one last look at some early fall menswear essentials that are going to come in mighty handy as the weather gets cold (OK, so perhaps it’s technically still late summer). That being said, here’s my guide as to what to wear on a chilly summer night, featuring tough moc toe boots, a rugged overshirt and even a classic tee. Hope it comes in handy no matter where your weekend takes you. Thanks for reading!
Lace up the Nisolo Travel Derby any time you need comfort and style in spades.
Ever stumble across a pair of shoes so suited for travel and everyday wear it makes you wonder why you haven’t had a pair in your footwear rotation before? I’m talking, of course, about your new favorite shoes for any day of the week: The excellent Nisolo Travel Derby, an exceedingly lightweight, highly versatile, supremely stylish pair of men’s shoes fit for the office, the road or some much-needed weekend downtime. Crucially, you can snag them via the brand’s Web site or via Huckberry. What makes these shoes so unique and essential compared to anything else you’ve got in your current lineup? Well, seeing as we’re moving toward August into September (gasp!), the Nisolo Travel Derby is the perfect style of shoe to help you step from one season into the next. Note the rich, early fall-friendly colorways and the textured suede upper, for one — those two design traits fit right in with seasonal transitions. And as far as Nisolo is concerned, there’s more where that came from.
SHOP: The Nisolo Travel Derby
Comfortable, durable, ready for a new season (and the current one).
If you know anything about the brand, you know they specialize in striking designs that are just different enough — take the minimal lacing and the XL Extralight foam outsole. That construction makes them exceedingly easy to wear on the road, for one. They’re also, simply put, some of the best travel shoes for men — the light weight and laidback wearability makes them a natural fit for wearing with everything from olive chinos and a classic chambray shirt to black denim, a classic white T-shirt and a denim jacket (we love denim around here, this is true). Y’know what’s even better than that critical dependability in terms of style? The fact that the Nisolo Travel Derby just so happens to be made ethically in Mexico at the brand’s factory — these are some of the best men’s shoes you can slide your feet into, especially as we cruise through August.
SHOP: The Nisolo Travel Derby
If it makes you jump out of your seat a bit to see the words “early fall” in a headline, know that I’m every bit as surprised by the end of summer as you. In that regard, we’ve been telling you all about the men’s style essentials to get you ready for the next season across these past few weeks, and today is no different. Our #OOTD focuses on the kind of gear you’re going to want to start slowly incorporating into your fall lineup, from a vintage-inspired chambray shirt to rugged leather boots and, simply put, the perfect pants to wear for early fall. This season is all about gear that can work with you in multiple situations. That’s why (as you’ll see), we’re incorporating a heavyweight pocket tee from our pals at Filson into the mix, seeing as you can wear it on its own during the day to grab a weekend coffee, then layer it up at night to grab cocktails at that new speakeasy in town. We’re also including a tough bag for your everyday carry, not to mention one of the best men’s watches you’ll find anywhere. Jumping into fall doesn’t have to be something you do all at once — mixing and matching the kinds of pieces that work in multiple seasons (and style situations!) is the way to go. So, ideally, this post can help you start to leave summer in the rearview mirror (sadly!) and look toward a crisp, cool, fun fall. Have questions for me on fall style tips? Reach out on Twitter.
Pairing a classic chambray shirt with a classic summer T-shirt — and classic leather boots. Get the idea?
- The Shirt: Dickies 1922 Chambray Shirt, $190 — To be sure, we’ve been recommending pieces like a classic chambray shirt a lot lately — it’s the perfect layer to take you into the early part of next month, and this Dickies 1922 shirt is based on an old archival style. Utterly classic.
- The T-shirt: Filson 8oz. Solid Pocket Tee, $55 — Leave it to Filson to craft a timeless pocket tee in a substantial fabric, perfect to wear on its own or layer underneath your new favorite shirt.
- The Pants: Proof Rover Pants, $98 — A fitting hybrid between chinos and jeans is what this time of year calls for, and these might be the perfect pants to wear for early fall (and beyond). Easy to move around in, extremely breathable & also well-made.
- The Boots: Red Wing Heritage Rover Boots, $269.99 — The key to moving this outfit from summer into early fall? Rugged leather boots from Red Wing Heritage, the kind that are still lightweight and versatile enough to wear with the Proof Rover Pants.
- The Watch: Lum-Tec M84 Automatic Watch, $1,095 — Yes, we’ve been featuring this rugged Lum-Tec watch a fair amount on the blog as of late, all owing to the fact that it’s simply one of the best men’s watches on the market, and perfect for this outfit.
- The Belt: Arcade Belt Co. Norrland Woven Belt, $38 — Finding a functional, rugged belt is no small task, but Arcade Belt Co. comes through with one of the best men’s belts we’ve seen — this is no flimsy, thin leather belt that you’d pick up by the check-out rack at a fast-fashion shop, mind you.
- The Everyday Brief: Boarding Pass NYC Flight Brief, $199 — Thinking about taking this show on the road? Even if it’s just to knock out some work at your local coffee shop, this rugged, durable & yet refined flight brief is perfect for your everyday carry.
- The Grooming Essential: West Skincare Recovery Cream, $55 — If you’re not yet acquainted with West Skincare, consider this your introduction. This is active skincare made for guys who need active recovery, and this cream in particular is designed to hydrate and restore skin.
Now, if you’re not feeling ready for early fall yet, well, consider this a helpful guide to get started. When you start out wearing a classic chambray shirt, especially the rugged Dickies vintage shirt above, you’re setting yourself up for success — it’s perfectly casual and versatile enough for summer and fall. The same can be said of the equally rugged Filson pocket tee, again the type of tee you can wear all on its own or under any shirt you’d like. Throw in quite possibly the perfect pants to wear for early fall, and you’ve got a winning base for an outfit that’s geared to sip on an Old Fashioned, crack open a cold beer or visit your local park. In fact, that’s where rugged leather boots from Red Wing Heritage can come in mighty handy — they’re extremely tough & versatile enough for multiple seasons. And when you accessorize with a rugged Lum-Tec watch, you’re keeping the outfit squarely in casual, go-anywhere territory. The only thing to do now? Grab your Boarding Pass NYC flight brief, accessorize with a functional, rugged belt and your everyday carry, then finish off your look with West Skincare’s Active Recovery Cream. OK, now who’s ready for early fall?
The breezy, cool outer layer to wear for crisp late summer & early fall nights.
Does it feel a bit strange to be looking toward Labor Day and thinking about early fall gear like rugged leather boots, overshirts and the like? Well, we’re not ready to close the book on summer quite yet, and neither is Faherty Brand — take the Faherty Brand Pacific Poncho, for instance. It’s the perfect layer with which to end summer, given its hybrid styling potential and the laidback, West Coast appeal for which Faherty Brand is known, of course. Made from breezy brushed cotton and featuring the enduringly cool Dusty Colorado print, think of the Faherty Brand Pacific Poncho as the upgraded take on the sort of pullovers you’d see at your local skate park (you know what I mean). Indeed, Faherty Brand has translated the things that make the brand a year-round essential — check out the Faherty Brand Brushed Flannel, to start — into unstoppable transitional pieces. Yes, that’s right — unstoppable.
SHOP: The Faherty Brand Pacific Poncho
This surprisingly stylish poncho is the sort of outer layer to pack in your weekend bag for a Labor Day getaway (or any early fall trip, for that matter), and the Faherty Brand Pacific Poncho also provides more than just something to throw on at a bonfire. That is to say, it’s stylish enough to be worn with dark denim and a charcoal Oxford shirt to grab a beer on the town, and chambray detailing gives it even more visual interest. Don’t sleep on this sort of layer, either – consider it an upgraded over an athletic logo hooded sweatshirt, and a huge one at that. When it gets a bit chilly in early fall, you can also layer it under a rugged denim jacket — no sweat. So you see, shifting from summer into early fall needn’t be a chore, and the Faherty Brand Pacific Poncho proves that.
SHOP: The Faherty Brand Pacific Poncho
Meet some of the best new sneakers you can get your … feet … on this season.
It’s official — the above New Movements sneakers are part of a quickly growing crop of new menswear essentials you can get your hands (or feet) on this season, and that’s a fact. The New Movements Model NM Sneakers are some of the best men’s sneakers to buy right now, and it’s all thanks to the unique design & silhouette, sure to shake up your footwear rotation just in time for the end of summer and the start of (early) fall. If you shop the digital pages at Huckberry, it’s no secret that the lauded menswear retailer puts an emphasis on gear that’s both style-forward and sustainable — these New Movements sneakers fit the bill quite nicely in that regard. But something that’s a little less well-known? Portugal is a hotbed for great footwear at the moment, and that’s where the New Movements Model NM Sneakers are made. What makes these so special? Let’s start with the fact that the outsole is made from recycled tires — sustainable through and through. We also mentioned the silhouette — these sneakers are bold enough to make a statement, thanks to the thicker, rippled outsole. Yet, these aren’t fashion-adjacent “ugly sneakers” in the slightest — the New Movements Model NM Sneakers are sleek & versatile, for starters.
SHOP: The New Movements Model NM Sneakers
One of four highly versatile colors in which you can buy these stylish men’s sneakers.
And again, that sleek design and versatile approach is exactly what you should be looking for when searching for the best sneakers for men — particularly as we close out summer and move into early fall. On that note, these stylish sneakers can do it all, from that last summer BBQ (paired with chino shorts and your favorite T-shirt), all the way through to a visit to your favorite brewery (denim jacket & black jeans on lock). The Italian leather upper also gives them an air of business casual readiness; try any colorway of these New Movements sneakers with tan chinos, a white Oxford shirt and a navy blazer. What could be more important than all of those qualities? Why, the sustainability quotient we mentioned earlier. On that note, New Movements excels — the purchase of a pair of New Movements sneakers means that the brand will pledge to remove a kilogram of microplastics from the world’s oceans. Plus, as mentioned above, the use of recycled and all-natural materials can’t be beat. Yes indeed, these New Movements sneakers are going to carry you from summer into fall — with ease and style, at that.
SHOP: The New Movements Model NM Sneakers
Get ready for fall with these transitional leather boots from Yogi (as sold by Huckberry, of course).
Much as in the photo above, we’re sitting on the verge of the weekend — and sitting on the verge of fall in a few weeks (post-Labor Day, that is). And all of this is to say, it’s never too early to start thinking about buying a pair of the best leather boots for the season. In fact, those ones above come from Yogi, a unique brand making high-quality boots that won’t quit — no matter where you go this weekend. For me, this weekend represents a much-needed chance to kick back and relax in Brooklyn, something that’s been sporadic at times between trips to Madrid, Chicago & London this summer! Make no mistake though, I’d do it all again — to say the very least! As for my plans this weekend, I plan on checking out Five Boroughs Brewing, a Brooklyn-based brewery that’s been on my “to-do” list for quite some time! I’ll also be getting a much-needed iced coffee at another of my favorite Brooklyn spots, the quaint Milk and Honey. What about you? I’m a huge fan of the Brooklyn craft beer and coffee scenes, so if you happen to be in NYC and need suggestions, let me know on Twitter! And to start the weekend right, we’ve got the below Friday tips & tricks ready to go in the meantime.
- We’ve talked previously about a stylish new blazer for these last few weeks of summer — if that happened to pique your interest, you’re in luck. You can check out more on the Grayers Dylan Blazer via this very Web site. And the even better news? It’s easily wearable with dark denim and a classic Oxford shirt through September — trust me on that.
- Speaking of classic style, there’s really no way to go wrong when it comes to the best new sneakers for men — especially a pair of vintage-inspired Nike kicks. I’m talking, of course, about the Nike Cortez ’72 S.D., a set of sleek, streamlined sneakers that should be enough to amp up casual outfits (like light wash jeans and a short-sleeve henley) as easily as slightly more formal looks (like tan chinos and a classic chambray shirt). You can get the full scoop via my latest for GearMoose.
- Last but certainly not least today, let’s dig into the music world a bit, shall we? Once I find a feature I love, I like to go back and peruse it from time to time. That’s been the case lately with this GQ feature on The Strokes’ Julian Casablancas, a one-time (and forever) rock legend who’s branched out in recent years with his band the Voidz, a decidedly more experimental outfit. The piece is a few years old (2014!), but it’s a fascinating read to start off your weekend right — cold beer in hand, preferably.
OK, that’s going to close the books on today’s Friday Read. If you need one last item to get you going before the weekend, then I’d point you toward my favorite men’s style and gear picks for August. All good? All good!