When you feel it in the air, you just know. That is to say, the sort of cool, crisp fall morning that calls out to be enjoyed with your favorite fall gear picks and a hot cup of coffee in hand as the mist rolls in — that’s quite the idllyic picture to paint, and maybe your weekend morning view looks a bit different (it does for me in Brooklyn!), but the best fall style essentials for a casual weekend can help you gear up any which way you slice it. So today, we’re going with the kind of cozy, casual gear that’ll work well for a weekend coffee date or a cool, laidback morning in equal measure — think of the rugged layers that a menswear hero like Daniel Craig wears in “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo,” for instance. That is to say, a rugged sweater from Wellen in a fittingly thick knit should wear mighty nicely with a classic chambray shirt for when it’s too cold to do anything but bundle up more. And the rest of these picks are able to go into town or host guests at home, too — take slim faded black jeans and pair them up with classic leather hiking boots to get a dose of functionality and style all at once. Of course, we’ve also got a cozy merino beanie and a tough leather watch standing tall on the accessories front. All you need for the morning is a great cup of coffee, and then in the evening, kick back with a sip of whiskey. This rugged #OOTD will do the rest. Cheers to fall!
Rugged fall style made easy with casually laidback (yet versatile!) picks.
- The Sweater: Wellen Headlands Sweater, $138 — Again, we’re going for the sort of rugged vibes you can only conjure on a chilly fall morning. This classic, vintage sweater from Wellen gets it exactly right.
- The Rugged Fall Shirt: Buffalo Jackson Harbor Chambray Shirt, $55 — Any old shirt simply won’t do. This rugged chambray shirt is perfect to throw on without overthiking it, wouldn’t you agree?
- The Denim: Flint and Tinder Stretch Selvage Jeans, $168 — There’s a difference between throwing on sweatpants (as stylish as they might be!) and then throwing on these slim selvage jeans. Flint and Tinder knows this, and gets it right.
- The Boots: Hanwag Bergler Boots, $400 — The key here is upgrading your rugged style essentials, starting with your new favorite pair of leather boots for plenty of consisten fall wear. Some of the best hiking boots you can buy right now, in fact.
- The Watch: VAER Watches Heritage Watch, $209 — This VAER Watches timepiece might just be the best casual watch to wear with this outfit — perfectly rugged in every way.
- The Fall Hat: Hill City Merino Cashmere Beanie, $48 — Pick up this exceedingly comfortable, cozy fall beanie cap to throw on for all your weekend errands — style points guaranteed.
- The Grooming Must-Have Guru Nanda Charcoal Toothpaste, $19.99 — Get a great deal on a six-pack of whitening toothpaste made with high-quality, functional charcoal and peppermint — your smile just got that much brighter.
- The Essential: Jumper Boxer Briefs, $25 — The little details, as we all know, make all the difference. And when it comes to the best boxer briefs on the market, Jumper easily takes care of business with solid, reliable basics.
Oftentimes, you needn’t overthink what to wear on a chilly fall morning or evening. In this instance, a vintage sweater from Wellen does the heavy lifting in terms of comfort and style, and it pairs up very well with arugged chambray shirt for style that’s effective, warm and laidback — all at once. To really solidfy the balance between casual, rugged and versatile, step out with a pair of slim selvage jeans, too. That is to say, this is the kind of look that can work nicely for a laidback morning or afternoon in town just as well as it can during an evening cocktail in front of the fire. Of course, should you need to get out and about, your new favorite pair of leather boots are more than ready to take on fall and winter weather. The accessories shown here also should get the job done, no matter what — take, for instance, the subtle style you get from wearing perhaps the best casual watch — it’s a surefire way to stand out quietly no matter the occasion. A merino beanie, comfortable boxer briefs and surprisingly effective charcoal toothpaste are all small details that make a big difference, too. When you take this outfit in total, I’d say it’s as ready for fall adventures as you are. In the meantime, follow along on my Instagram to see how I’m dressing for the season.
OK, so you might think you’ve got it all figured out when it comes to wearing your favorite pair of dark blue denim. In fact, the right pair of slim blue jeans are a certified menswear classic (especially a pair from Mott and Bow as seen in today’s #OOTD), but there’s plenty that you can do to switch up how to wear jeans this fall. How is that possible? Bear with me here. As you very well know from perusing the pages of this very Web site, classic blue jeans are like the Swiss Army Knife of pants, able to be worn in ways both business casual and entirely laidback. Today’s #OOTD harnesses a bit of both, starting with ever-so-slightly faded Mott and Bow denim (apt for the weekend or a casual work week) and carrying on through to the gear they’re being paired with — as you’ll see, a classic Western shirt and a refined suede jacket do some heavy lifting when it comes to switching up things from the routine. In short, it’s touches like those that can elevate your favorite pair of blue denim from good to great, from the weekend back to the office and beyond. Seems to be good to be true? You haven’t seen anything quite yet.
Classic blue Mott & Bow denim to go along with seriously stylish seasonal essentials.
- The Slim Blue Jeans: Mott and Bow Crosby Denim, $108 — Yes indeed, we’ll start things off with some of the best men’s blue jeans out there, plain and simple. The Mott and Bow Crosby Denim feature a slightly faded wash for when you want jeans to wear to the office or on a weekend.
- The Jacket: Todd Snyder Dylan Suede Snap Jacket, $995 — So, we’re forking over a bit more cash to invest in a new fall style essential — this Todd Snyder jacket is one of the best men’s jackets for the season, and it’ll stay that way for years. Rugged and yet stylish enough for a casual fall Friday & plenty of weekend wear.
- The Shirt: Billy Reid Western Snap-Front Shirt, $225 — Is this Billy Reid shirt expensive? Yes. Is it a classic Western shirt done in an upgraded, visually interesting manner? Also, yes. Perfect when you want to switch up your typical shirting rotation.
- The Classic Desert Boots: Rhodes Footwear Dylan Chukka Boots, $165 — Expect nothing less than the best when it comes to classic desert boots as sold by Huckberry. These are the perfect casual leather boots for any day of the week.
- The Watch: VAER Watches Heritage Watch, $209 — With an #OOTD like this one, your accessories need to stay on-point. Enter this rugged leather watch from VAER Watches, easily.
- The Belt: Taylor Stitch Stitched Belt in Whiskey Eagle, $88 — Surprisingly, the right leather belt can make all the difference — and unsurprisingly, the Taylor Stitch Stitched Belt is one of the best on the market.
- The Socks: Hill City Performance Socks, $14 — To complement this ensemble, reach for richly crafted, comfortable, performance-minded socks from Hill City — made to help you stay cool on your feet all day long.
- The Everyday Carry: Filson Ballistic Nylon Dryden Briefcase, $175 — Whether it’s a trek to the office you’ve got in mind, or a trek to your favorite coffee shop, the Filson Dryden Briefcase can make all the difference in hauling your everyday carry essentials.
Although at first they might seem pedestrian or too casual, there’s actually a lot that you can do to make the best men’s blue jeans work for you in a way that’s upgraded and seriously stylish — take this ensemble, for starters. The reason this look works so well for everything from casual Friday to a first date to a brewery visit? It all starts with slim blue jeans that are worth investing a little extra — gone are baggy or bootcut jeans, naturally. And we’re not just throwing on any old shirt, either — the truly excellent Billy Reid shirt shown above is stylish, rugged and exceptionally versatile. Match it up with one of the best men’s jackets this writer has ever seen (a stylish and refined Todd Snyder trucker jacket), and you’ve got the makings of a look that’s made to impress, whether at the office or on the road. Things only get better when you look at the rest of these gear picks, from the dependable Filson Dryden Briefcase for your everyday carry right on through to the Taylor Stitch Stitched Belt
— when you take care of the small details, the bigger details (like your classic desert boots) tend to take care of themselves. Accent everything with an office or date-ready rugged leather watch, then top it off with subtly stylish Hill City socks, and you’ve got your new favorite #OOTD for the work week or the weekend. Don’t believe me? Give it a try yourself.
Just when you thought you’d seen it all when it comes to the best gear for fall, along comes today’s #OOTD to shake up how you layer up with a shirt jacket this season. Think of the best shirt jackets as a unique style transition through chilly weather, able to be worn right now as it gets slightly colder, and then effective enough to be layered up when the snow really starts to fall in earnest (for most of us, that is). And with that being said, that’s why we’re highlighting the ever-versatile, throwback-inspired Wallace & Barnes Stretch Canvas Shirt Jacket, a tough-yet-comfortable offering from J. Crew’s workwear-heavy, truly excellent Wallace & Barnes line. The great thing about the shirt jacket, as you’ll see, is the variety and versatility it gives. The best shirt jacket is able to be worn as a stylish blazer replacement to the office, especially when paired up with the slim Oxford shirt you’re going to see below. Think of this shirt jacket and this ensemble as your go-anywhere, do-anything outfit. It works to wear to the office before getting out of town on the weekend. It’s packed with the kind of cool, stylish-yet-classic touches that make it easy for a laidback date night. Want to grab a beer at your favorite brewpub? You’ll find these gear picks (particularly the rugged leather boots on display) to be just right. And before we go any further, know that we’re recommending … cargo pants, also from Wallace & Barnes. Don’t worry — these deliver the goods. Let’s get to it!
Rugged essentials to shake up your everyday style.
- The Shirt Jacket: Wallace & Barnes Stretch Canvas Shirt Jacket, $98 — When you want a shirt jacket that channels old-school cool & rugged style with modern wearability, you want this number from Wallace & Barnes.
- The Shirt: Mack Weldon 37.5 Performance Oxford, $88 — Pair up this newly classic Oxford shirt (made with sweat-preventing 37.5® Technology), to take on the day — no matter where you go. Big fan of its slim fit and feel (thanks to the brand for sending!).
- The Pants: Wallace & Barnes Ripstop Brigade Cargo Pants, $148 — OK, I know what you’re thinking … cargo pants?? Yes, yes indeed. Wallace & Barnes (of J. Crew fame) takes the cargo pant, slims it down, roughs it up & makes it highly functional for fall.
- The Boots: Wolverine Evans Boots, $400 — Given that we’re working with a rugged shirt jacket and cargo pants (yep!), a pair of the best leather boots from Wolverine only seems fitting, yes? Yes.
- The Watch: Timex Standard 40mm Leather Strap Watch, $79 — For only $79, you’re getting easily one of the best men’s leather watches out there, one that’s understated and yet reliably pairs up with this #OOTD.
- The Everyday Carry: WP Standard Canvas Travel Bag, $298 — Heading to the office and then out on a weekend trip? Trekking across town? Loading up your gear to get some work done at a local coffee shop? Grab this WP Standard canvas bag, one of the best daily bags for the price you can find.
- The Wallet: Tanner Goods Utility Bifold, $110 — Lest we forget, the right leather wallet belongs in your pocket (and your WP Standard canvas bag) no matter where you’re headed. Tanner Goods has you covered.
- The Hat: Ebbets Field Flannels x Faribault Vintage Ballcap, $60 — Now, the hat is optional here, but for chilly fall weather and casual fall weekends aplenty, there’s nothing like an American-made ballcap from Ebbets Field Flannels & Faribault.
OK, so we mentioned that we’d be spotlighting cargo pants in this ensemble … hopefully, that didn’t scare you away?? At any rate, the key here is recognizing that this particular #OOTD takes the principles and pieces you know and love (I.E. A classic Oxford shirt and rugged leather boots) and flips them around a bit. Instead of a navy cotton blazer, we’ve got the aforementioned cotton canvas shirt jacket. As opposed to classic chinos, we’re swapping in those cargo pants. The result is an outfit that feels fresh and modern, as ready to grab a fall Old Fashioned as it is to head to the office (provided you can wear this sort of gear there). Either way, this look is all about rugged versatility. Throw in a stylish leather watch and a rugged WP Standard canvas bag, and you’re even ready for a bit of light travel. Of course, the right accessories always elevate an outfit, hence an American-made ballcap for casually rugged fall style — accompanied by the right leather wallet, of course. With fall in full swing, the best thing you can do is shake up how you dress on the daily, and again, one of the best shirt jackets is here to help you do so in style. Now, let’s get out there and get to it!
Looking for a new way to dress for the office this fall? Or rather, an upgraded way that makes use of fall style essentials you know and love? We’ve got you all sorted out today on the blog, and it starts with a classic flannel shirt — yes, the beloved rugged style staple is going to be the centerpiece of a perfectly casual-yet-versatile office look. That age-old question “How to dress for the office?” … well, here’s your answer. You’ll recognize style moves with which you’re already well-acquainted, including the use of the exceptional Flint and Tinder 365 Pants to add a bit of clean & tailored style. The real kicker here though (literally) might just be the stylish high-top sneakers we’re recommending you swap in, as opposed to rugged leather boots or refined dress shoes. That gives this look more of a laidback-yet-polished air, exactly the vibe to go for if your post-office plans include happy hour or a weekend getaway. Elsewhere, you’ll recognize the staples of classic office style, from an office-ready fall sweater to a refined leather watch — these are gear picks that won’t quit, and they’ll ensure you stand out subtly and stylishly, no questions asked. If it gets chilly on you in the morning? Throw on something like the Billy Reid Bond Peacoat to fight the fall chill. OK, time to get to work.
Can you wear sneakers and a flannel shirt to the office? When it’s done like this #OOTD, yes, yes you can.
- The Flannel Shirt: Todd Snyder Scotch Plaid Flannel, $178 — Yes, you can wear a classic flannel shirt to the office. Particularly if it’s this slim-fitting flannel shirt from menswear master Todd Snyder. Versatile without going full-on outdoors.
- The Sweater: Grayers Bleecker V-Neck Sweater, $79 — If you know where to look, you can find an office-ready fall sweater — like this option from Grayers. It’s a hot seller, so act quickly. Ideal for a chilly fall day (and a chilly office).
- The Pants: Flint and Tinder 365 Pants, $98 — Some of the best-selling pants at Huckberry assuredly belong as part of this #OOTD, particularly in an office-friendly slim cut and a deep, fall-centric Laurel Green color. The Flint and Tinder 365 Pants are a nice way to offset your classic V-neck sweater (also available in Straight fit).
- The Sneakers: Nisolo Cortez Mid-Top Sneakers, $168 — Especially on a casual fall Friday, you can’t go wrong with stylish high-top sneakers. These rich leather Nisolo sneakers are a nice way to switch things up from your favorite leather boots.
- The Office-Ready Watch: Carpenter Watches G4 Brooklyn Gent, $795.98 — Finding the right watch to wear to the office just got a heck of a lot easier — take this refined leather watch from Carpenter Watches, for instance.
- The Classic Leather Belt: Taylor Stitch Stitched Belt, $88 — If you read the blog on the regular, you know the best accessories really do make the difference. And this Taylor Stitch leather belt really is the best of the best — especially for the office.
- The Everyday Bag: Filson Dryden Ballistic Nylon Briefcase, $175 — Because you could be hauling everything from your laptop to a couple notebooks to some handy everyday carry essentials, you need this tough Filson briefcase.
- The Grooming Essential: Taconic Shave Urban Woods Beard Oil, $14 — Keep your beard in fine form for a day at the office with this handsome beard oil from Taconic Shave — don’t underestimate its utility for fall.
Now, although there’s no telling what your day might send your way, dressing for the office doesn’t have to be a drag — that’s especially the case when you consider the fact that you’re starting from the get-go with a slim-fitting flannel shirt from iconic designer Todd Snyder — there’s no better way to go for fall. Consider as well that you’re layering up the right way with an office-ready fall sweater in a neutral grey, offset nicely those rich, Laurel Green-colored Flint and Tinder 365 Pants. They’ve got the comfort of jeans and the style points of chinos (and they’re some of the best pants for the office I’ve tried myself). And while you can certainly break out tough leather boots or refined chukka boots, the real key to nailing fall office style comes when you step out in stylish high-top sneakers instead. They deliver comfort and unique styling potential, and these Nisolo sneakers are also ethically made. In keeping with the casual-yet-polished nature of this outfit, I’m also recommending a refined leather watch, seeing as the right everyday carry essentials can get your mind in a great spot for your next big meeting. To keep your laptop and assorted goods safe, haul it all in a tough Filson briefcase, and accentuate the rest of your outfit with a dressy-yet-rugged Taylor Stitch leather belt (it’s a personal favorite). And if you’re among the bearded among us (like yours truly!), you’d do worse to keep your beard in shape with beard oil from Taconic Shave. OK, are you all set for a big day at the office? Keep up with all my style tips on Instagram. Good luck out there!
Quick, what’s the most classic piece of outerwear you can think of? If it doesn’t come to mind right away, perhaps a Schott NYC leather jacket isn’t very far down your list — and it’s the rugged jacket that’ll serve as the centerpiece of today’s #OOTD, to boot. The right leather jacket can serve as more than a thin outer layer — it can add some serious durability, toughness and sleek style to any fall-centric look or occasion (especially if that occasion involves a rock concert or a weekend whiskey bar outing). So, we’ll kick things off with one of the best leather jackets you can possibly buy, and we’ll layer it up with all the right fall style essentials you can possibly shake a stick at. As you’ll see, a rugged flannel shirt adds a bit of grunge-inspired style (sorry, had to go there!), while an organic cotton henley adds even more warmth and fall-ready durability. Naturally, if you’re going for edgy and rock-inspired style, you could do worse than stepping out in some black Chelsea boots. The key thing to keep in mind is that you’re going to get a ton of use out of this investment-worthy leather jacket, and that makes it a reliable option even on a work day aside from this #OOTD (yes, paired with a white Oxford shirt and slim back chinos). With all of that being said, I’ll leave you to check out the rest of this fall-ready ensemble.
A sleek and classic leather jacket, matched up with the right fall style essentials.
- The Leather Jacket: Schott NYC Lightweight Motorcycle Jacket, $750 — Fall is a surprisingly great time to wear one of the best leather jackets on the planet — go figure! This Schott NYC leather jacket is an investment-worthy icon.
- The Flannel Shirt: Knowledge Cotton Checked Flannel Shirt, $145 — Pairing up a rugged flannel shirt with a classic leather jacket is a timeless style move for fall — get this perfect flannel shirt to get started.
- The Henley: Flint and Tinder Organic Slub Henley, $62 — Keep things simple, subtly stylish and rugged with this organic cotton henley from Flint and Tinder — ideal for a fall night out.
- The Denim: Flint and Tinder Defender Denim (Slim Fit), $138 — Slim dark blue jeans are a highly effective, classic pairing with one of the best leather jackets for early fall — no questions asked. And this pair of raw denim only gets better with age.
- The Watch: Lum-Tec M82 Automatic Watch, $875 — A tough leather watch is the only way to go with the rest of this outfit’s gear picks. Lum-Tec comes through in the clutch, no doubt about it.
- The Boots: Red Wing Heritage Weekender Chelsea Boots, $240 — Is it a no-brainer to wear tough black Chelsea boots from Red Wing Heritage with a rugged flannel shirt and a classic leather jacket? Yes, perhaps. But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do it.
- The Socks: Burlix Moving Mid-Calf Socks, $15 — Your search for the best men’s socks might just be over. I’ve had the pleasure of testing Burlix socks over these past few weeks, and they provide plenty of comfort & shock absorption with rugged boots.
- The Grooming Essentials: Living KOA Full Grooming Set, $79 — If you’re investing in the best when it comes to your classic leather jacket and slim denim, you might as well invest in your skincare on all fronts. The Full Grooming Set shown here makes it very easy to do that.
As one would expect, the difference here is in the details — and namely, the difference comes right at the start of this rugged fall ensemble, led off by one of the best leather jackets in the world. Yes, the world! It’s the perfect foil to perhaps the perfect flannel shirt, blending edgy and classic style seamlessly. From the brewery to a rock concert to the dive bar, this look has you covered. Heck, when you pair things up with an organic cotton henley from Flint and Tinder, you’ve got prime fall style on lock — and we haven’t even talked about the inky blue, raw denim you’re going to be wearing to complement this look. And to that end, you’d do well to step out in equally fitting black Chelsea boots from Red Wing Heritage— together, this combination has roots in the past and yet, remains perfectly modern at the same time. All of this is to say, you’ve unlocked unbeatable weekend style now. And while you might not think of a tough leather watch as being essential to this outfit, rest assured that it is (the difference lies in the details, after all). And on that front, Lum-Tec has you covered. Of course, a great fall #OOTD is nothing without grooming essentials to keep your skin sharp — and the best men’s socks on the market offer plenty of comfort when worn with tough Red Wing Heritage boots. It all comes together quite nicely, wouldn’t you say? No doubt about it. Good luck out there, folks — cheers!
Quick, think of the array of stylish men’s shirts you’ve likely got in your closet for fall. From a classic Oxford shirt to your favorite chambray shirt, perhaps you feel like you’ve got plenty of options, right? Particularly when it comes to casually rugged fall style, too? Well, think again, because I’d wager you don ‘t yet have a classic Western shirt like the Levi’s x Outerknown Wellthread Western Shirt — it’s the centerpiece of today’s #OOTD, and it’s the perfect shirt to carry you through many a fall style situation. To wit: The Western shirt is a somewhat overlooked style staple (at least in my book), one that often calls to mind denim-on-denim — and not done the right way, either. But the Western shirt is a prime fall style move, especially when worn as you’ll see it today. What do we mean specifically? Well, the Levi’s x Outerknown Wellthread Western Shirt is different than your typical Western shirt, made from textured fabric in a pleasing fall color — the kind that’s going to stand out whether you wear this look on a weekend coffee date, a brewery outing or an upstate weekend getaway (or some combination of all three, at that). The point is that the best Western shirt out there is visually interesting, slightly edgy & thoroughly classic — exactly what you need to add to your rotation of fall style essentials. Let’s get to the full #OOTD below.
Rugged gear picks to shift how you think about wearing a Western shirt.
- The Western Shirt: Levi’s x Outerknown Wellthread Western Shirt, $128 — Shaking up the way you wear your Western shirt often starts with reaching for a different option altogether — and Levi’s x Outerknown deliver a stylish, sustainable, rugged AND visually interesting choice here.
- The Henley: Wellen Hemp Long-Sleeve Henley, $39.98 — Rugged, classic and every bit as sustainable as the Western shirt you’re pairing it with, this is your new favorite henley for fall.
- The Pants: Taylor Stitch Camp Pants, $128 — Now, your choice of rugged fall pants is entirely up to you here — you could also go with slim tan chinos or classic blue denim, but it’s tough to top the versatile appeal of the Taylor Stitch Camp Pants.
- The Jacket: Taylor Stitch Long Haul Jacket in Indigo Waffle, $188 — Let’s go for two in a row when it comes to rugged Taylor Stitch gear. The Taylor Stitch Long Haul Jacket has long been a personal favorite, and this richly textured take is no different. Perfect to wear with your new favorite henley for fall.
- The Boots: Astorflex Bootflex Boots, $195 — Are these Astorflex Bootflex Boots some of the best leather boots for fall? Yes. Will you want to wear them all the time, even aside from this #OOTD? Also, yes. The perfect pair of fall footwear.
- The Watch: VAER Watches Heritage Watch, $176.98 — Only one of the best men’s leather watches will do in this case, and this rugged VAER watch is a perfect complement to the rest of these fall style essentials.
- The Beard Oil: Duluth Trading Co. Spit and Polish Beard Oil, $19.95 — Fall is as great a time as any to get your facial hair in fine form, and Duluth Trading Co. has come through with an excellent new beard oil to help you do just that.
- The Grooming Essential: Duke Cannon Trench Warfare Natural Charcoal Deodorant, $12 — I’ve long been a fan of Duke Cannon’s rugged and essential grooming products, and this highly effective natural charcoal deodorant is no different. The perfect way to round out an #OOTD.
So, are you onboard with the Levi’s x Outerknown Wellthread Western Shirt and the potential it brings to the table? While at first simple, these top gear picks really are as good as it gets, and they’re as primed for a weekend of fall adventures, from your favorite park to a new art museum and evening cocktails, as you are. Layer up with your new favorite henley for fall and then get out there — that combo offers protection from the elements should you need it, and the Taylor Stitch Long Haul Jacket is a crucial fall outerwear pick-up. It adds a ton of visual interest to this look, and the Taylor Stitch Camp Pants are a necessary fall accessory in this instance — they’re ready to get outdoors or go all around town, and look great while doing it. With an #OOTD like this, there’s also no better fall footwear option than some of the best leather boots for fall, guaranteed. What’s more, essential accessories like one of the best men’s leather watches help drive home the true versatility and style of this outfit — you’re going to stand out the right way, truly. To keep your mug fresh, turn toward a standout new beard oil from Duluth Trading Co. (a move you won’t regret, trust me) and then be sure to use an equally excellent natural charcoal deodorant from Duke Cannon — got all of that down? Great: It’s time to get out there and enjoy fall.
Perhaps you’ve had the save-the-date on your calendar or on your fridge for a while — the antipation of a fall wedding growing by the day. But the age-old question looms: What am I going to wear to this shindig? Perhaps it’s outdoors on a rolling farm or a large estate, maybe it’s downtown followed by a reception long into the night — either way, you need the right gear picks (including one of the best men’s blazers) to carry you through the only way you know how … in style. An since dressing for a fall wedding also involves nodding to the season without going overboard, you’ll find, stylish, classic picks like a textured cotton shirt and a stylish wool tie, all the better to take on what could be a chilly wedding. At the least, it’s going to be slightly breezier than average, so I think you’ll find the Taylor Stitch Gibson Jacket is well-suited to fall’s demands (and perhaps for traveling a long way to said wedding, too). The other picks in this #OOTD, as you’ll see are geared to help you tackle the season in style, including classic chukka boots and some tailored chinos to tie everything together nicely. This is all dependent on the dress code, of course, but I think with this ensemble, you’ll stay put-together without one-upping anyone (or sacrificing comfort). What more can you ask for, really?
The right mix of versatile, casual gear for a fall wedding.
- The Jacket: Taylor Stitch Gibson Jacket, $298 — Looking for the perfect fall travel jacket … even the sort you can wear on the plane and then wear to a fall wedding? Well, here you go. The Taylor Stitch Gibson Jacket is one of the best men’s blazers on the market.
- The Shirt: Wellen Organic Hemp Denim Shirt, $78 — Whether you go with a classic denim shirt or not can depend on the wedding itself, but this textured cotton shirt pairs very well with the colder climes of fall (in most places, that is).
- The Tie: Neck & Tie Co. Matrix Necktie, $29 — It seems some times, a tie is optional at a fall wedding — but it’s always nice to go more tailored, and this stylish wool tie is a handsome change of pace given the season.
- The Pants: Proof Nomad Pants, $78 — Does any guy ever look bad in tailored grey chinos? Nope, no sir. This cool color palette works well for fall, allowing those classic chukka boots to really pop. Speaking of …
- The Dress Boots: Rhodes Felix Chukka Boots, $198 — Can your wear suede chukka boots to a fall wedding? Of course — especially when they’re sleek and yet versatile, a la the Rhodes Felix Chukka Boots.
- The Watch: Armogan Regalia Watch, $220 — When you want to look your best, a classic leather dress watch is simply the only way to go — that’s all there is to it.
- The Grooming Essential: Alder New York Everyday Face Moisturizer, $32 — The advent of chilly weather means you need to keep your face looking fresh. Alder New York can help with that.
- The Travel Essential: Bellroy Dopp Kit, $55 — Hitting the road for a wedding is no excuse not to look your best — take along this stylish dopp kit to carry all your grooming essentials, will you?
So, as we said, a fall wedding can tie in multiple demands when it comes to style — perhaps you’re traveling a long way, or dealing with some unexpectedly chilly weather. Either way, the perfect fall travel jacket is going to help you tackle both those extremes — not to mention the wedding ceremony itself. That mix of versatility is key if you want to pack light (and really, who doesn’t?). That’s also an area in which a classic denim shirt can add some casual flair, while also still dressing up nicely thanks to a stylish wool tie — make no mistake, it’s all about texture and fall-ready style. In that case, classic chukka boots in a rich suede are possibly the perfect pair of fall boots for the occasion. We’re talking timeless style, seasonally friendly texture and a relatively sleek look that won’t quit — yes, even out on the dance floor. Because looking great is often all about the little things, a classic leather dress watch is a fitting way to tie this outfit together. Before you leave for the night, reach for a classic face moisturizer from Alder New York, and be sure to pack it all in your stylish dopp kit. From A-to-Z, top-to-bottom, this is the right way to dress for a fall wedding — guaranteed. What do you say? Let me know on Twitter.