Lace up the Nisolo Travel Derby any time you need comfort and style in spades.
Ever stumble across a pair of shoes so suited for travel and everyday wear it makes you wonder why you haven’t had a pair in your footwear rotation before? I’m talking, of course, about your new favorite shoes for any day of the week: The excellent Nisolo Travel Derby, an exceedingly lightweight, highly versatile, supremely stylish pair of men’s shoes fit for the office, the road or some much-needed weekend downtime. Crucially, you can snag them via the brand’s Web site or via Huckberry. What makes these shoes so unique and essential compared to anything else you’ve got in your current lineup? Well, seeing as we’re moving toward August into September (gasp!), the Nisolo Travel Derby is the perfect style of shoe to help you step from one season into the next. Note the rich, early fall-friendly colorways and the textured suede upper, for one — those two design traits fit right in with seasonal transitions. And as far as Nisolo is concerned, there’s more where that came from.
SHOP: The Nisolo Travel Derby
Comfortable, durable, ready for a new season (and the current one).
If you know anything about the brand, you know they specialize in striking designs that are just different enough — take the minimal lacing and the XL Extralight foam outsole. That construction makes them exceedingly easy to wear on the road, for one. They’re also, simply put, some of the best travel shoes for men — the light weight and laidback wearability makes them a natural fit for wearing with everything from olive chinos and a classic chambray shirt to black denim, a classic white T-shirt and a denim jacket (we love denim around here, this is true). Y’know what’s even better than that critical dependability in terms of style? The fact that the Nisolo Travel Derby just so happens to be made ethically in Mexico at the brand’s factory — these are some of the best men’s shoes you can slide your feet into, especially as we cruise through August.
SHOP: The Nisolo Travel Derby
If it makes you jump out of your seat a bit to see the words “early fall” in a headline, know that I’m every bit as surprised by the end of summer as you. In that regard, we’ve been telling you all about the men’s style essentials to get you ready for the next season across these past few weeks, and today is no different. Our #OOTD focuses on the kind of gear you’re going to want to start slowly incorporating into your fall lineup, from a vintage-inspired chambray shirt to rugged leather boots and, simply put, the perfect pants to wear for early fall. This season is all about gear that can work with you in multiple situations. That’s why (as you’ll see), we’re incorporating a heavyweight pocket tee from our pals at Filson into the mix, seeing as you can wear it on its own during the day to grab a weekend coffee, then layer it up at night to grab cocktails at that new speakeasy in town. We’re also including a tough bag for your everyday carry, not to mention one of the best men’s watches you’ll find anywhere. Jumping into fall doesn’t have to be something you do all at once — mixing and matching the kinds of pieces that work in multiple seasons (and style situations!) is the way to go. So, ideally, this post can help you start to leave summer in the rearview mirror (sadly!) and look toward a crisp, cool, fun fall. Have questions for me on fall style tips? Reach out on Twitter.
Pairing a classic chambray shirt with a classic summer T-shirt — and classic leather boots. Get the idea?
- The Shirt: Dickies 1922 Chambray Shirt, $190 — To be sure, we’ve been recommending pieces like a classic chambray shirt a lot lately — it’s the perfect layer to take you into the early part of next month, and this Dickies 1922 shirt is based on an old archival style. Utterly classic.
- The T-shirt: Filson 8oz. Solid Pocket Tee, $55 — Leave it to Filson to craft a timeless pocket tee in a substantial fabric, perfect to wear on its own or layer underneath your new favorite shirt.
- The Pants: Proof Rover Pants, $98 — A fitting hybrid between chinos and jeans is what this time of year calls for, and these might be the perfect pants to wear for early fall (and beyond). Easy to move around in, extremely breathable & also well-made.
- The Boots: Red Wing Heritage Rover Boots, $269.99 — The key to moving this outfit from summer into early fall? Rugged leather boots from Red Wing Heritage, the kind that are still lightweight and versatile enough to wear with the Proof Rover Pants.
- The Watch: Lum-Tec M84 Automatic Watch, $1,095 — Yes, we’ve been featuring this rugged Lum-Tec watch a fair amount on the blog as of late, all owing to the fact that it’s simply one of the best men’s watches on the market, and perfect for this outfit.
- The Belt: Arcade Belt Co. Norrland Woven Belt, $38 — Finding a functional, rugged belt is no small task, but Arcade Belt Co. comes through with one of the best men’s belts we’ve seen — this is no flimsy, thin leather belt that you’d pick up by the check-out rack at a fast-fashion shop, mind you.
- The Everyday Brief: Boarding Pass NYC Flight Brief, $199 — Thinking about taking this show on the road? Even if it’s just to knock out some work at your local coffee shop, this rugged, durable & yet refined flight brief is perfect for your everyday carry.
- The Grooming Essential: West Skincare Recovery Cream, $55 — If you’re not yet acquainted with West Skincare, consider this your introduction. This is active skincare made for guys who need active recovery, and this cream in particular is designed to hydrate and restore skin.
Now, if you’re not feeling ready for early fall yet, well, consider this a helpful guide to get started. When you start out wearing a classic chambray shirt, especially the rugged Dickies vintage shirt above, you’re setting yourself up for success — it’s perfectly casual and versatile enough for summer and fall. The same can be said of the equally rugged Filson pocket tee, again the type of tee you can wear all on its own or under any shirt you’d like. Throw in quite possibly the perfect pants to wear for early fall, and you’ve got a winning base for an outfit that’s geared to sip on an Old Fashioned, crack open a cold beer or visit your local park. In fact, that’s where rugged leather boots from Red Wing Heritage can come in mighty handy — they’re extremely tough & versatile enough for multiple seasons. And when you accessorize with a rugged Lum-Tec watch, you’re keeping the outfit squarely in casual, go-anywhere territory. The only thing to do now? Grab your Boarding Pass NYC flight brief, accessorize with a functional, rugged belt and your everyday carry, then finish off your look with West Skincare’s Active Recovery Cream. OK, now who’s ready for early fall?
The breezy, cool outer layer to wear for crisp late summer & early fall nights.
Does it feel a bit strange to be looking toward Labor Day and thinking about early fall gear like rugged leather boots, overshirts and the like? Well, we’re not ready to close the book on summer quite yet, and neither is Faherty Brand — take the Faherty Brand Pacific Poncho, for instance. It’s the perfect layer with which to end summer, given its hybrid styling potential and the laidback, West Coast appeal for which Faherty Brand is known, of course. Made from breezy brushed cotton and featuring the enduringly cool Dusty Colorado print, think of the Faherty Brand Pacific Poncho as the upgraded take on the sort of pullovers you’d see at your local skate park (you know what I mean). Indeed, Faherty Brand has translated the things that make the brand a year-round essential — check out the Faherty Brand Brushed Flannel, to start — into unstoppable transitional pieces. Yes, that’s right — unstoppable.
SHOP: The Faherty Brand Pacific Poncho
This surprisingly stylish poncho is the sort of outer layer to pack in your weekend bag for a Labor Day getaway (or any early fall trip, for that matter), and the Faherty Brand Pacific Poncho also provides more than just something to throw on at a bonfire. That is to say, it’s stylish enough to be worn with dark denim and a charcoal Oxford shirt to grab a beer on the town, and chambray detailing gives it even more visual interest. Don’t sleep on this sort of layer, either – consider it an upgraded over an athletic logo hooded sweatshirt, and a huge one at that. When it gets a bit chilly in early fall, you can also layer it under a rugged denim jacket — no sweat. So you see, shifting from summer into early fall needn’t be a chore, and the Faherty Brand Pacific Poncho proves that.
SHOP: The Faherty Brand Pacific Poncho
Meet some of the best new sneakers you can get your … feet … on this season.
It’s official — the above New Movements sneakers are part of a quickly growing crop of new menswear essentials you can get your hands (or feet) on this season, and that’s a fact. The New Movements Model NM Sneakers are some of the best men’s sneakers to buy right now, and it’s all thanks to the unique design & silhouette, sure to shake up your footwear rotation just in time for the end of summer and the start of (early) fall. If you shop the digital pages at Huckberry, it’s no secret that the lauded menswear retailer puts an emphasis on gear that’s both style-forward and sustainable — these New Movements sneakers fit the bill quite nicely in that regard. But something that’s a little less well-known? Portugal is a hotbed for great footwear at the moment, and that’s where the New Movements Model NM Sneakers are made. What makes these so special? Let’s start with the fact that the outsole is made from recycled tires — sustainable through and through. We also mentioned the silhouette — these sneakers are bold enough to make a statement, thanks to the thicker, rippled outsole. Yet, these aren’t fashion-adjacent “ugly sneakers” in the slightest — the New Movements Model NM Sneakers are sleek & versatile, for starters.
SHOP: The New Movements Model NM Sneakers
One of four highly versatile colors in which you can buy these stylish men’s sneakers.
And again, that sleek design and versatile approach is exactly what you should be looking for when searching for the best sneakers for men — particularly as we close out summer and move into early fall. On that note, these stylish sneakers can do it all, from that last summer BBQ (paired with chino shorts and your favorite T-shirt), all the way through to a visit to your favorite brewery (denim jacket & black jeans on lock). The Italian leather upper also gives them an air of business casual readiness; try any colorway of these New Movements sneakers with tan chinos, a white Oxford shirt and a navy blazer. What could be more important than all of those qualities? Why, the sustainability quotient we mentioned earlier. On that note, New Movements excels — the purchase of a pair of New Movements sneakers means that the brand will pledge to remove a kilogram of microplastics from the world’s oceans. Plus, as mentioned above, the use of recycled and all-natural materials can’t be beat. Yes indeed, these New Movements sneakers are going to carry you from summer into fall — with ease and style, at that.
SHOP: The New Movements Model NM Sneakers
Get ready for fall with these transitional leather boots from Yogi (as sold by Huckberry, of course).
Much as in the photo above, we’re sitting on the verge of the weekend — and sitting on the verge of fall in a few weeks (post-Labor Day, that is). And all of this is to say, it’s never too early to start thinking about buying a pair of the best leather boots for the season. In fact, those ones above come from Yogi, a unique brand making high-quality boots that won’t quit — no matter where you go this weekend. For me, this weekend represents a much-needed chance to kick back and relax in Brooklyn, something that’s been sporadic at times between trips to Madrid, Chicago & London this summer! Make no mistake though, I’d do it all again — to say the very least! As for my plans this weekend, I plan on checking out Five Boroughs Brewing, a Brooklyn-based brewery that’s been on my “to-do” list for quite some time! I’ll also be getting a much-needed iced coffee at another of my favorite Brooklyn spots, the quaint Milk and Honey. What about you? I’m a huge fan of the Brooklyn craft beer and coffee scenes, so if you happen to be in NYC and need suggestions, let me know on Twitter! And to start the weekend right, we’ve got the below Friday tips & tricks ready to go in the meantime.
- We’ve talked previously about a stylish new blazer for these last few weeks of summer — if that happened to pique your interest, you’re in luck. You can check out more on the Grayers Dylan Blazer via this very Web site. And the even better news? It’s easily wearable with dark denim and a classic Oxford shirt through September — trust me on that.
- Speaking of classic style, there’s really no way to go wrong when it comes to the best new sneakers for men — especially a pair of vintage-inspired Nike kicks. I’m talking, of course, about the Nike Cortez ’72 S.D., a set of sleek, streamlined sneakers that should be enough to amp up casual outfits (like light wash jeans and a short-sleeve henley) as easily as slightly more formal looks (like tan chinos and a classic chambray shirt). You can get the full scoop via my latest for GearMoose.
- Last but certainly not least today, let’s dig into the music world a bit, shall we? Once I find a feature I love, I like to go back and peruse it from time to time. That’s been the case lately with this GQ feature on The Strokes’ Julian Casablancas, a one-time (and forever) rock legend who’s branched out in recent years with his band the Voidz, a decidedly more experimental outfit. The piece is a few years old (2014!), but it’s a fascinating read to start off your weekend right — cold beer in hand, preferably.
OK, that’s going to close the books on today’s Friday Read. If you need one last item to get you going before the weekend, then I’d point you toward my favorite men’s style and gear picks for August. All good? All good!
A new take on the classic leather sneaker silhouette.
Still on the hunt for critical end-of-summer gear via our See Now, Buy Now series here on the blog? Good thing, then — we’ve got exactly what you need in store today. Crucially, we’ll tell you all about a must-have pair of the best men’s sneakers, and one crafted with exceptional care and attention to detail right in the United States — the Rancourt & Co. Carson Low just so happen to be that pair, in fact. These stylish leather sneakers are so much more than a typically minimal pair of sneakers — they’re packed with substance and character, and they’re the perfect sneakers to wear as summer heads toward Labor Day. Does that sound like a lot of hyperbole? Perhaps, but again … the Rancourt & Co. Carson Low Sneakers are truly one-of-a-kind. We’ve talked in the past about Rancourt & Co. on the site, particularly about the brand’s rugged, made-in-Maine leather boots, and you can rest assured that this particular pair of kicks live up to the Rancourt name more than ably.
SHOP: The Rancourt & Co. Carson Low
These handsome leather sneakers are precisely the kind of pair you’d expect to be sold as a Huckberry exclusive, given their rugged styling potential and use of materials like rich bison leather from Maine’s own Tasman Tannery. The Rancourt & Co. Carson Low also feature construction that’s more akin to your favorite pair of boots, thanks to the Vibram Strighton outsole, solid brass eyelets and a soft leather lining. That rich craftsmanship also lends them an air of versatility — you can wear them with dark blue denim, a classic Oxford shirt and a navy cotton blazer to the office this month, then keep ’em handy to pair up with a rugged crewneck sweater and tan chinos come early fall. Indeed, these are some of the best men’s sneakers you can find — but you’d best act quickly, seeing as they’re sellilng pretty fast.
Do you plan to pick up a pair of the Rancourt & Co. Carson Low? How would you style them for late summer and early fall? Let me know on Twitter.
Does the phrase “chilly summer night” strike fear into your heart? Does that phrase seem more apt to describe early fall than late summer? Well, that might be the case … but think of this #OOTD as a primer to transition from one season into the next. And in this case, the rugged overshirt in question is one that’s uniquely versatile & easily wearable after the sun goes down, no need to worry about overheating. In fact, the Flint and Tinder Bedford Camp Shirt is simply darn handy to keep around no matter the off-duty occasion, from hosting a backyard BBQ to pitching a tent under the stars — would you expect anything less from Flint and Tinder, after all? And I think you’ll find the way it’s being worn is similarly versatile and unique without going over the top (it’s still a bit warm out there, after all). So, it’s not a full-on flannel shirt, but neither is the Flint and Tinder Bedford Camp Shirt a breezy linen shirt. In fact, this ensemble is really ready for going off-trail, and yet at the same time, you can wear these gear picks out for a crisp end-of-summer cocktail if need be. It’s all just right when it comes to layering up. How would you wear the Flint and Tinder Bedford Camp Shirt? Check out the full rundown of style essentials for late summer below, then let’s hit the road.
A tough overshirt pairs up quite well with slim dark denim and a classic tee to close out summer — no matter where you go.
- The Overshirt: Flint and Tinder Bedford Camp Shirt, $168 — Part overshirt, part versatile outdoor jacket, all style — soft-washed Bedford cotton and a pleasingly unique Hickory color make this rugged overshirt a must-have for late summer.
- The Classic Tee: Taylor Stitch Heavy Bag Tee, $45 — Plain and simple, Taylor Stitch will never let you down — and neither will the sustainable, rugged Taylor Stitch Heavy Bag Tee, a perfect solo layer during the day — and equally perfect at sunset.
- The Denim: Flint and Tinder Defender Denim, $138 — Rugged dark blue denim also, similarly, never fails — especially when worn in pursuit of your favorite craft beer or more firewood, right? The Flint and Tinder Defender Denim just work.
- The Rugged Boots: Red Wing Heritage 6-Inch Classic Moc Boots, $290 — Make no mistake, we’ve talked about these Red Wing Heritage boots on the blog before — time to break ’em back out of the closet. The perfect combo of durability & style.
- The Watch: Lum-Tec M84 Automatic Watch, $1,095 — Before you balk at the price of this rugged leather watch, just know that it’s an everyday watch you can wear starting now … and heck, through next winter. Lum-Tec gets it right.
- The Socks: Orvis Invincible Extra Cotton Socks, $49 (Three-pack) — Want exceedingly comfortable socks that can stand up to anything provide a heck of a lot of cushioning in the process? These Orvis socks do just that.
- The Hat: Stetson Chapman Hat, $155 — To be sure, a classic Stetson hat undoubtedly isn’t for everyone … but given that this outfit screams “rugged outdoor adventure” (or heck, “whiskey distillery visit,”), it just works.
- The Tough Everyday Bag: Filson Duffel Backpack, $245 — Does this exceptional Filson Duffel Backpack qualify as an “everyday bag,” per se? Maybe? It depends on where you take it — and for all of summer’s last adventures, it certainly fits the bill.
The thing about the end of summer is that when you gear up with the proper pieces, it can actually be enjoyable to start making the transition between seasons — take the Flint and Tinder Bedford Camp Shirt, for instance. It’s a soft-washed camp shirt that’s ideal for just that: Outdoor camping and hiking, plus day trips and brewery visits aplenty. You’re also getting a dash of versatile summer style with the Taylor Stitch Heavy Bag Tee, easy to wear during the day, and then fit to throw on the Flint and Tinder Bedford Camp Shirt atop when the sun dips down. Rugged dark blue denim also acts as a fine go-between from day to night, and this particular pair will get better the more you wear them (and trust me). Take it all in stride with a pair of trusty Red Wing Heritage boots, another menswear essential that goes from the trail to the town with ease. Of course, this #OOTD would be nothing without a rugged leather watch from Lum-Tec — this thing can take a beating, and then some. We’re topping it all off with a classic Stetson hat to keep the sun off your face while giving this ensemble some rugged appeal. And to haul whatever it is you happen to need on the everyday carry front? Load up the Filson Duffel Backpack. If you put all of these components together, you’re going to be more than ready to close out summer & head toward fall.