So, another cold winter day dawns, and there you stand, looking at your closet inquisitively. It’d be nice to have a sweater that mixes things up from the routine, something that stands out quitely and stylishly for its versatility and toughness … my friends, I’ve found that classic sweater for you. But what to wear it with? That’s why we’re here today to talk how to wear a shawl collar cardigan, and specifically, the excellent Faherty Brand sweater shown below — it’s refined enough for the office (more on that in a second), yet equally at home when out and about this winter. The best shawl collar cardigan on the market? Well, it’s certainly up there. The rugged shawl cardigan is a layering favorite of menswear luminaries like Daniel Craig (we’re big fans of his here), and we’re drawing a bit of inspiration from him as to how we style your new favorite sweater this winter. So, you’re going to find handy cold-weather essentials like a rugged waxed quilted parka, plus must-haves like the best men’s pants for winter weather (but they’re far from snow pants, rest assured). Other winter-friendly pieces, like the remarkably tough Nicks Boots Falcon Boots, are going to carry you through the season handily and in style. But as we’ve said before, you’ve got to kick it off the right way — with perhaps the best shawl collar cardigan around. From there, the possibilities are endless. OK, let’s dive in.
- The Shawl Cardigan: Faherty Brand Marled Cotton Cardigan, $228 — The thing with figuring out how to wear a shawl collar cardigan … is that it’s all got to start with the right shawl cardigan. In fact, it’s got to start with one of the best shawl cardigans. Faherty Brand achieves that aim quite nicely.
- The Winter Jacket: Flint and Tinder Quilted Waxed Field Jacket, $348 — Listen, when your main layer is one of the best shawl cardigans, you’ve got to ensure the rest of your winter #OOTD is on-point. To wit. The Flint and Tinder Quilted Waxed Field Jacket is remarkable, and one of the toughest winter jackets you’re apt to find.
- The Classic Shirt: Western Rise TechWool Flannel Shirt, $119 — Most flannel shirts aren’t like the Western Rise TechWool Flannel Shirt. Made with a unique moisture-wicking fabric that blends durability and performance, this could be one of the best winter shirts for layering.
- The Pants: Proof Rover Pants, $98 — Listen, let’s not pull punches here — you need some of the best men’s pants for winter weather, the kind you can wear to the office and on the road. The Proof Rover Pants are just those pants. (In fact, you should read why they’re my favorite pants — plain and simple).
- The Rugged Leather Boots: Nicks Boots Falcon Boots, $445.98 — Listen, when it’s tough out there … you need the best boots for winter. Enter the uniquely rugged, exceptionally tough Nicks Boots Falcon Boots. These are one-of-a-kind, winter-ready boots.
- The Watch: 5.11 Tactical Field Watch, $169.99 — For a shade under $170, you’re getting one of the best casual watches (and one of the toughest casual watches), built with a rugged 44mm case and a scratch-resistant mineral crystal face. Winter weather doesn’t stand a chance.
- The Hat: Wills Cashmere Ribbed Beanie, $75 — It’s not getting any warmer out there, so to make your winter days (slightly) more pleasant, you might as well wear a stylish cashmere beanie … right?
- The Everyday Bag: Tanner Goods Simple Tote, $130 — Although the name might not make it sound that way, the Tanner Goods Simple Tote packs one heck of a punch — it’s one of the most durable everyday bags your author has seen, and given its ‘simple’ and easy-to-transport design, Tanner Goods has a winner on its hands (and yours).
- (Not Pictured) The Gloves: Hestra Deerskin Wool Gloves, $120 — Listen, it’s not the time to mess around with winnter weather. These Hestra gloves are well-reviewed, sleek-yet-stylish, and highly durable — making them some of the best winter gloves for men that you can buy.
From the small accessories that make a big difference (like the best winter gloves for men) to the small details that actually come in quite handy (witness one of the more durable everyday bags out there), I’d say this #OOTD is primed to take on the season in style. From the office — thanks to the Western Rise TechWool Flannel Shirt — to the speakeasy and your favorite coffee shop, wearing one of the best shawl cardigans really can take you just about anywhere. The key here is ensuring you’re looking sharp both in and out of the elements, so a tough winter jacket like the Flint and Tinder Quilted Waxed Field Jacket is going to be your best friend when it comes to winter layering. Naturally, winter-ready boots are going to keep you safe and dry, no matter how snowy it gets out there. Of course, the seemingly insignificant details shouldn’t be overlooked — that’s why you’re wearing one of the toughest casual watches, after all. And when you mix it all up with some of the best men’s pants for winter weather, your entire look is complete in a way that’s both office-friendly and yet rugged & adventure-ready. But going back to what we’ve said before, the right shawl cardigan makes it all go round. Check it out for yourself, then let me know how you feel on Twitter. Thanks for reading!