Alright folks, here we go with another take on the #OOTD. There comes a time in your life when duty calls — when you want to get out of the house to head to brunch, or grab a cocktail, or pick up some more coffee, or reload for that home proejct — and it’s just got to be done in spite of the weather. That’s why we’re here: To tell you how to dress for a casual winter weekend, helped along by plenty of seasonal style essentials. The right winter weekend #OOTD ties everything together with functionality and style in mind — so, for fighting windy weather and snowstorms, you’ll find a rugged waxed jacket to take on the elements. Other layers come in handy once you’ve bellied up to the bar and taken off said jacket — take, for instance, one of the best new flannel shirts (more on that one in a moment). And classics like slim dark blue jeans never fail — inside or outside, coffee date or a quick trip into town. All these picks are more crucial than you think, including Red Wing Heritage boots for dependability and durability on slippery streets. The goal here should be gear picks that look great and don’t miss a beat from day-to-night, so you’ll also find crucial layers like one of the best men’s henleys. Check out the full look below, and let me know in the comments if you think we (and by we, I mean me) hit our goal. Cheers!
- The Jacket: Peregrine Waxed Bexley Jacket, $299 — No matter where you go on a winter weekend, you need one of the best winter jackets to get you there in one piece. This rugged waxed jacket is a surefire winner.
- The Stylish Flannel Shirt: Faherty Brand Knit Seasons Shirt, $138 — As crucial as it is that you wear the right winter jacket, it’s equally important that you wear the right flannel shirt — as in, this pleasingly rugged Faherty Brand flannel shirt.
- The Henley: Taylor Stitch Heavy Bag Henley, $68 — There’s not a doubt in my mind that one of the best men’s henleys can serve as an ideal and rugged base layer — this Taylor Stitch henley checks the right boxes.
- The Slim Denim: Mott and Bow Slim Wooster Denim, $118 — Because it’s a casual winter weekend, some slim dark blue jeans — especially this pair from Mott and Bow — are the right way to go. No sweat.
- The Boots: Red Wing Heritage Wacouta Boots, $270 — For stomping through snow and slush in pursuit of brunch, grab these rugged Red Wing Heritage boots, then wear ’em all winter.
- The Watch: DuFrane Watches Barton Springs Diver, $467.98 — When winter weather really ramps up, you need a rugged casual watch that can take a beating — and look good doing it. Hence, this handsome timepiece from DuFrane Watches.
- The Hat: Mott and Bow Walker Ribbed Beanie, $60 — Yes indeed, the good folks at Mott and Bow are now making one of the best winter hats — a perfect complement to your slim dark blue jeans.
- The Daily Carry: Fjallraven Totepack No. 2, $131.98 — Again, no matter where you’re headed, your everyday carry essentials could use a tough everyday bag like this Fjallraven Totepack.
Ready to brave the elements? As taxing as that might sound at the moment, I know I am — it all comes down to starting with the right layers, and then building from there. In this case, the right layers just so happen to include a rugged waxed jacket that’ll fight off winter’s worst pretty handily. Layering a Faherty Brand flannel shirt is the right way to go for both warmth and style, plus a bit of versatility — that’s the sort of shirt you can wear to a casual lunch or a trip to your favorite bar in equal measure. You could also argue that if you’re not wearing a Taylor Stitch henley as your base layer, you’re not doing it right this season — that’s debateable, but there’s an argument to be made for making a rugged henley part of your menswear rotation. Naturally, Mott and Bow denim never fails in terms of style points or dependability — the same could be said for those go-anywhere Red Wing Heritage boots, all the better to beat out winter snow. Your accessories are also going to seal the deal here, from one of the best winter hats to a tough everyday bag that’ll keep your gear safe and sound. Of course, no look is complete without a rugged casual watch — that’s the right way to finish off this look. Where will this ensemble take you? Let me know on Twitter.