So, you’ve just landed that crucial spring happy hour or weekend patio party invite. Nice! You’ve got your favorite beer in hand (and in the fridge), but what are you going to wear? Allow me. We talk often at The Style Guide about stepping up your off-duty dressing in ways that are subtly stylish, so that it doesn’t quite feel like you’re off-duty (no gym shorts or baggy sweats here). The key comes with upgrading your men’s style essentials in small ways that’ll help you stand out as you wait to snag a beer at the cooler — polished, sharp and not sloppy. So, a classic T-shirt from Buck Mason is the base layer to wear that’s not so basic — and we’re mixing it up with a rugged cotton overshirt from Topo Designs — all the better to add some visual interest to this casual, happy hour-ready look. The rest of this ensemble is all about classic comfort and style, from Mott & Bow denim to some seriously unique sneakers (a silhouette playing off the original high-top basketball sneakers!). A rugged, casual watch rounds things out, too. So, what does it look like, exactly? Check out the full look below, then let me know what you’re wearing to happy hour over on Twitter. Thanks for reading!
- The Stylish T-Shirt: Buck Mason Slub Curved Hem Tee, $32 — When is a classic T-shirt more than just a T-shirt? When it’s made by Buck Mason and features design details like a cool curved hem — it’s the perfect T-shirt for spring and summer.
- The Shirt: Topo Designs Dirt Shirt, $89 — Made with durable stretch organic cotton in a pleasingly washed-out spring color, the “Dirt Shirt” (as seen here on my Instagram) is a winning layer on breezy spring days.
- The Classic Denim: Mott & Bow Slim Stone Denim, $118 — Slim grey denim is an unexpected style serve, and this pair of essential Mott & Bow denim should be plenty comfortable for all-day style.
- The Sneakers: Colchester High-Top Sneakers, $79.98 — Like we mentioned above, these right here are the original high-top basketball sneakers — but they’re updated for the modern man, and plenty stylish for a spring or summer happy hour.
- The Watch: DuFrane Watches Barton Springs Diver, $491.98 — What could be a better complement to this #OOTD than a rugged, casual watch? Especially this handsome timepiece from DuFrane Watches.
- The Belt: Vintage Bison Calhoun Belt, $95 — It’s hard to top a ridiculously high-quality, ridiculously well-made leather belt like this one — wear it all the time (but especially with Mott & Bow denim), and it’ll get better with age.
- The Everyday Bag: Bleu De Chaffe Musette Gaston Bag, $258 — Maybe you won’t need this bag, but if you’re out and about all day, it pays to leave your house with an entirely unique everyday bag handcrafted in France — each bag is truly one-of-a-kind.
- The Spring Ballcap: Alex Mill X Field Canvas Cap, $40 — Ballcaps certainly aren’t for everyone, but if you want to add some understated, subtle spring style — and protection from the sun — to this look, reach for this sharp Alex Mill ballcap here.
Alright, who’s up for another beer? The key with dressing for something that seems straightforward on the surface — just a spring happy hour, right — is, again, upgrading those style staples accordingly. So, let’s start with a classic T-shirt from Buck Mason, the perfect way to step up in subtle style. It’s easy to layer with an easygoing-yet-rugged Topo Designs shirt, which acts as a light overshirt thanks to its organic stretch cotton — perfect to wear as the sun goes down. That combo wears all the better alongside a pair of Mott & Bow denim, which should prove to be the right mix of sharp and casual — the same can be said of your Colchester High-Top Sneakers, which toe the same line with subtle style. I’m also all about accessorizing accordingly, even for grabbing some beers — a rugged, casual watch can even act as an interesting conversation starter (at least, I think so). Throw on a trusty leather belt, then grab a unique everyday bag to hold any pre-happy hour extras you might want to pick up. Finally, although throwing on a hat is optional, there’s nothing quite like a classic ballcap — especially one that’s emblazoned with an interesting, non-athletic logo. I think this #OOTD could be a new happy hour go-to. What do you think? Again, let me know on Twitter.