You’ve snapped up your one, or two, or three-day music festival tickets, you’ve got your plane booked — or plans in place to hop on a train or take a drive — and your favorite time of the summer (or at least, my favorite time!) is quickly approaching. Now, what are you going to wear to that music festival? Allow me. If you follow me on Instagram, perhaps you’re aware that I’m a HUGE fan of music festivals and live music in general — and the more you see out there, the more you realize that some folks … really don’t know how to dress for a music festival. Sad, but true.
The key in dressing for a music festival involves nailing that tricky balance between form and function. Luckily, several of your favorite men’s style essentials for daily wear can work at a music festival, too. From a rugged denim shirt to a stylish rain jacket and some Todd Snyder x Champion shorts, the below pieces are certainly more stylish than what other festivalgoers are likely wearing — and these are the sorts of pieces that can help you explore a new festival city in the meantime, too. We’ve got comfortable sneakers in the mix, plus a casual Timex watch and of course, the sunscreen you need for the day. It all comes together in an unexpected, highly functional-yet-fashionable package that can carry you through from the afternoon side stage set to a headlining show by The Strokes. Who’s ready for a beer and some live music, ehh? Let me know what festivals you’re attending this summer — and what you’re packing — on Twitter. Thanks for reading!
- The Henley: Outerknown Sojourn Henley, $58 — Every guy needs a classic short-sleeve henley. This is a major upgrade from the sea of neon tank-tops and sports jerseys that seem to be dominating festivals these days, right?
- The Shirt: Billy Reid Denim Shirt, $195 — This rugged denim shirt from Billy Reid is crucial for polished festival style. Easy to layer on a breezy day & perfect to wear unbuttoned atop your henley if it gets too hot. Heck, I wore this very shirt to Austin City Limits and loved it!
- The Jacket: Topo Designs Wind Jacket, $149 — Now, you might not need this stylish rain jacket from Topo Designs, but if the weather takes a turn? You’ll be glad you brought it.
- The Shorts: Todd Snyder x Champion Warm-Up Shorts, $88 — This next move is really up to you — if it’s too breezy for these stylish Todd Snyder x Champion shorts, go with slim dark denim. If the temperature’s just right? These retro-inspired shorts provide all-day comfort and leisurely style — yet, they’re not baggy basketball shorts.
- The Sneakers: Tread By Everlane Trainers, $98 — Timeless, minimal and sustainably crafted, these new Everlane sneakers are a super-comfortable pair to keep you on your feet all day. If rain happens to be in the forecast, pack some rugged Blundstone boots instead.
- The Watch: Timex Archive Waterbury United Watch, $115 — Leave the expensive dive watch at home — this classic Timex watch is durable and festival-ready, understated yet subtly stylish.
- The Sunglasses: Ombraz Armless Sunglasses, $140 — For festival conditions that can go from cloudy to sunny quicker than you can say “indie rock,” reach for these durable sunglasses from Huckberry.
- The Grooming Essential: Salt & Stone Sunscreen Lotion, $18 — Repeat after me: I will wear this Salt & Stone sunscreen to my next festival. (Trust me: Getting sunburned on day one is no fun! It’s a summer grooming must-have).
So, that’s all the gear to wear to a music festival. What’s your take? To me, classic picks like a short-sleeve henley and a rugged denim shirt from Billy Reid are sizable upgrades over what most of the festival population might be wearing (cargo shorts and sports jersey on teens seem to come to mind! And yet, we’re not overdoing it — casual-but-cool pieces like the aforementioned Todd Snyder x Champion shorts help keep you comfortable yet put-together. The same can be said for those Everlane sneakers, geared to provide all-day performance on your feet (again, if it gets rainy or muddy, swap in a pair of Blundstone boots and be sure to grab a critical stylish rain jacket from Topo Designs.
Unfortunately, I can’t help you save when it comes to the price of craft beer and bites at these music festivals, but hopefully, affordable accessories like the Timex Archive Watch and your durable Ombraz Sunglasses help take away the sting a little bit. Throw some Salt & Stone sunscreen in your favorite weekender bag, then get ready to hit the road this season. The only challenge now is planning your festival schedule. Good luck out there!