There’s no doubt that things have been a bit — OK, a heck of a lot — different these past several weeks around The Style Guide, and I’m sure that’s the case in your neck of the woods, as well. The opportunity for those classic spring outings (lazy afternoons at your favorite brewery, backyard BBQ’s, park walks) has become, well, a lot harder to come by — unless you’re making a point to BBQ at home with the family or take hikes with your partner or the fam, that is. And yet, we’ll press on in terms of the best spring style essentials for this new situation — and beyond. Specifically, let’s talk about a casual menswear staple you can wear to work from home or explore a (secluded) park on the weekends: I’m talking, of course, about one of the best men’s henleys. To be even more specific, I’m talking about one of the best short-sleeve henleys, a reliable-as-can-be layer that you can wear on its own or underneath your new favorite denim jacket. The rugged Reigning Champ henley in question could just be the casual spring basic you’ve been searching for, what with a tailored fit and the ability to be worn with tough leather boots and slim black denim (in the case of this #OOTD, at least). We’ve gone ahead and included other versatile gear picks for the season, including a durable everyday carry bag for when you’ve got to get organized in your workshop or on your hike. It’s a shame that, for now, this outfit might not work a ton of places, but rest assured, the time will come for you to wear a classic henley to get a refreshing beer — and when that time rolls around, this is the #OOTD you’ll need to wear.
- The Henley: Reigning Champ Pima Jersey Henley, $70 — Start things off the right way with a classic rugged henley in an athletic fit from Reigning Champ, ideal to layer underneath your favorite denim jacket this spring (even if the most you’re doing is taking a solitary stroll or hanging on your back porch).
- The Classic Denim Jacket: Buck Mason Denim Two-Pocket Field Shirt, $145 — What works best to layer up atop a classic rugged henley? Well, how about an equally timeless, stylish denim jacket (or rather, the Denim Two-Pocket Field Shirt, technically) from Buck Mason? An ideal spring style move.
- The Denim: KATO Slim Pen 4-Way Stretch Selvedge, $248 — If you’ve been wearing sweatpants a bit too much, why not ease back into the denim game with some slim stretch selvedge jeans (yes, we’re going denim-on-denim — and keep in mind, the stretch selvedge is the key to comfort and mobility). Start wearing this stylish pair of black denim now, then break ’em in all spring.
- The Boots: Taylor Stitch Ranch Boots, $348 — Perhaps the most ideal pairing with the rest of these rugged menswear picks? Why, some equally rugged leather boots from my friends at Taylor Stitch. Slip ’em on, then get out there and get some fresh air.
- The Watch: Szanto Roland Sands Icon Signature Watch, $225 — This classic stainless steel watch is the right move to make if you’re going for rugged spring style (which, news flash, we are!). Szanto makes some of the most functional watches you can buy, including this handy number.
- The Belt: Red Wing Heritage Pioneer Belt, $89 — As with any #OOTD, the accessories surely matter — this stylish leather belt is made with the same care as your favorite leather boots from Red Wing Heritage, and that’s just a fact.
- The Socks: American Trench Retro Stripe Socks, $12.50 — Don’t sleep on the need for classic, stylish socks — especially some retro-inspired, American-made socks from, yes, American Trench.
- The Everyday Carry: Filson Ripstop Nylon Travel Pack, $75 — Taking off on a solitary hike? Heading out on a (socially distanced) park walk? Heck, looking to keep your home workshop organized? Use this durable nylon travel pack from the good folks at Filson.
Alright, my friends … doesn’t this #OOTD make you want to get out there and explore? Even just a bit? Rest assured, it still works for plugging in at home, working a bit in the yard, taking that solitary walk or a stroll with your partner … the best style should adapt to new situations, and I’d wager there’s not a place at the moment where a classic rugged henley (especially of the short-sleeve variety) wouldn’t work out nicely. That’s definitely the case when layered up accordingly with a stylish denim jacket in a unique cut and construction from Buck Mason, and the entire look gets an even cooler (yet comfortable!) edge with some slim stretch selvedge jeans for the utmost in comfort and timeless appeal. Heck, you can break those jeans in around the house, and then keep wearing them, well, the rest of the year. I’d say that’s also the case when it comes to rugged leather boots from Taylor Stitch, and to be specific, ones that slip on and off for ease of use. When this whole ensemble is paired up with the rugged necessities — like one of the most functional watches — it seems to me like working from home could even be … stylish AND enjoyable? Keep organized all the while with a durable nylon pack from Filson. And lest we forget … again, stylish socks make all the difference at home, so American Trench is your best bet. Taken together, this outfit is classic, cool-yet-edgy, and ready for some (socially distanced) exploration. When the time comes to venture to your favorite brewery or bar, well, you know exactly what to wear. Stay safe and thanks for reading!