Editor’s note: Expect these posts once a week on Fridays — consider this a jumpstart on reading for your weekend downtime. Expect a mix of style and …. non-style (?) content. For more entries, click here.What have you been up to this week? Been busy? Same! (Of course, I assume you replied ‘Yes’ there). Personally, I’m looking forward to taking in my first New York baseball game (a Subway Series showdown between the Mets & Yankees), and of course, getting some writing done on this here blog. Anything you’d like to see on The Friday Read? Let me know for next week, because this week’s all set below for your perusing pleasure.
- Do you have your summer watch game down yet? My buddy Joe over at Dappered takes a look at 10 summer watches that can withstand some fun in the sun. (My own pick for a durable warm-weather watch can be found here).
- GQ offers a quick-hit piece on fast-fashion retailer Uniqlo’s first foray into the world of sneakers — cheap, yet colorful and sure to see plenty of use.
- This next one’s a two-parter — some audio and some text & photos. The incredible design-oriented podcast 99% Invisible explores the difficult and dangerous world of the men who dig tunnels beneath New York City (I told you there’d be more than just style pieces in these things, didn’t I?).
- Long Read of the Week: For all you sports-minded folk (and specifically NHL fans), Narrative.ly pens a really neat retrospective on the departure of the New York Islanders from the Nassau Coliseum.
Need more style content to tide you over?
- I penned a piece over on VOUCH Mag rounding up comfortable jogger pants (divisive to be sure, but streamlined and stylish).
- If you haven’t bought your spring or summer blazer yet, some affordable and stylish picks can be found here.