If you can believe it, we had to call an audible when it came to last week’s Friday Read given the hectic pace and scheduling of New York Fashion Week: Men’s. (Runway shows! Collection previews! Afterparties!). But I’m pleased to report that we’re back this week, and better than ever — well, hopefully. Who else is looking forward to the weekend? Was our guide to what to wear on Valentine’s Day this week helpful? You can be sure we’ll have more #OOTD content — and tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week — on the way very soon. On that note, did you catch last week’s Style Pick of the Week? The Taylor Stitch Winslow Jacket is about as good as it gets when it comes to adventure-ready weekend style. And speaking of weekend adventures… this weekend is an exciting, busy one as well. I’m hitting the road back to Grand Rapids to see childhood friends, enjoy Beer City U.S.A (!) and visit my family (including four nieces and nephews!). It’s going to be a jam-packed, super enjoyable weekend, dovetailing off my trip last February to Grand Rapids (and quickly becoming a tradition for me?). At any rate, you can catch all the action live on Instagram and Instagram Stories (of course). In the meantime, enjoy the weekend — cheers!
- So, the iconic, much-discussed and much-debated seminal indie album “In the Aeroplane Over the Sea” by Neutral Milk Hotel turned 20 last week; can ya believe it? It might have been just a bit before my time, but it’s an album worth studying & appreciating — as Pitchfork noted in its review upon its reissue some years ago … a perfect 10! What’s your take?
- The Winter Olympics are here — in the spirit of keeping you in the loop on the festivities, our pals at Esquire.com published the lazy person’s guide to the Winter Olympics; good enough, right?
- Perhaps you’ve seen this news already, but last week, L.L. Bean announced it was changing its return policy, a famously accommodating one at that; will you be taking more care of your Bean Boots from now on?
- Lastly, let’s talk what you’re drinking this weekend — the Samuel Adams Sam ’76 brew is my latest write-up over at GearMoose, and you might just want to track it down and raise a glass this weekend. Who’s with me?
Hopefully, the above features helped you start your weekend the right way — see you for tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week!
We’ve powered through the week and we’re staring down the weekend — that’s a heck of a good feeling, right? We kept busy at The Style Guide this week, serving you up an #OOTD that covers how to wear a crewneck sweater this winter (in a way that even works at the office, if you can believe it!). We also went behind the scenes on my latest men’s style road trip, this time to Florida for a birthday weekend at Disney World — a truly great time was had by all, to say the least! We stopped at countries “around the world” at Epcot, we checked out the wonders of Animal Kingdom and we even spent a jam-packed day at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter — not bad at all, right? I’m now looking forward to a laidback weekend, likely featuring some craft beers at Gold Star Beer Counter, plus some time spent in Prospect Park (and a likely trip to my favorite coffee-and-menswear spot in the city, Upstate Stock). Before we get to that, we’re rounding a day in the office — and helping you do the same — with some choice links for your perusal (and potential listening pleasure). Sound like a plan? Without further ado, let’s get this going.
- Esquire.com will kick off this edition of the Friday Read for us, namely the lauded (if struggling) retailer’s take on new dress shirts — stock up, maybe? Or maybe not?
- On a music-related note, this past week was a pretty big one for my favorite band, Ohio-born indie rockers The National — these well-dressed gentlemen took home the Grammy for Best Alternative Album! “Sleep Well Beast” was one of my favorite albums of this past year, and I think it’s a well-deserved accolade. Read more with the band’s Aaron Dessner at the link above.
- I absolutely love me a great pair of shoes — especially retro-inspired high-tops like the Converse Chuck 70 Wordmark, which I wrote about for GearMoose. Step into ’em, lace up and get ready to step out in style!
- I don’t know about you, but I found this Esquire.com piece on WeWork — the global “shared-space nerve center,” as Esquire says — to be quite fascinating. What say you?
That’s going to close out this week’s Friday Read — until the next one (and until tomorrow’s Style Pick — enjoy your weekend!)
Just like that, it’s the very first Friday Read of 2018! It’s tough to believe that we’ve knocked out a proper week in January — how are you holding up? Earlier this week, we talked men’s style resolutions — we also continued our #OOTD series and got ya ready to start the new year in style with another edition of The List (covering the best men’s gear to buy for 2018). If that doesn’t get you fired up to start the new year right, I’m not sure what will. At any rate, it’s been a pretty busy week kicking off my day job in fashion PR, and I’ve also started to churn out some more #menswear entries for GearMoose — you can expect updates on those pieces in the coming weeks & months ahead! And most importantly, I’m looking forward to getting my apartment updated with a few key home goods that Santa gave me this Christmas … including, crucially, a wooden shoe rack that’ll hopefully give me much more space in my humble Brooklyn abode. After that, I intend to get out and explore a bit of Brooklyn (likely while enjoying a few tasty treats along the way). What are your weekend plans? Feel free to connect with me on Twitter any time — let’s get to the rest of today’s post!
- The holidays are over and we’re into the new year, but I like to keep that same holiday spirit and energy extended into the new year. One way to do that? Burning a nice scented candle — seriously. GQ.com offers up picks for the best candles for your space, all with a bit of cold weather-friendly vibes:
- Ever on the cutting edge of stylish, dependable — and sometimes ridiculous — footwear, Esquire.com serves up this list of the best sneakers of the past year, some of which you’d do well to research and buy now … hopefully at slightly lower 2018 prices? Good luck out there.
- Holiday travel season might have just ended, but I still think you should seriously consider picking up the Taylor Stitch Travel Pants. Think of the remarkable Travel Pants like an upgraded sweatpant, with a fit that darn near mirrors that of your favorite chinos. Read my latest on this stellar launch for GearMoose!
My friends, that’s all the quick reads we’ve got today. Enjoy your weekend, check back for tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week
and thanks for reading!
Alright, we made it to Friday — raise a glass! Or crack open a cold one and kick back. It’s the welcome end to a long week here in NYC, one that caps off a busy five days of work following my latest Style Guide trip to celebrate a Florida Thanksgiving with my family! It was a long weekend complete with an amazing Thanksgiving meal, plus many helpings of leftovers in the days following. I even got some shopping done for Black Friday — you can check out my Instagram in the coming days for more in that regard. And why should you follow along on Instagram, exactly? Well, I’m heading back down to Florida this weekend to visit my sister for the 97x Next Big Thing music festival in lovely Tampa Bay! I’m excited to hit the road tonight to take in a great, great weekend of live music featuring some seriously fun, seriously powerful bands (many of whom I’ve had the chance to see in and around NYC as of late!).
That includes the festival’s two main headliners, The Lumineers and Paramore, along with other highly enjoyable groups like Canadian pop-rockers Arkells, New Jersey’s own Bleachers, the always-fun MisterWives out of NYC, groovy indie rockers Portugal. The Man and upbeat dance rockers Saint Motel! That’s just the tip of the iceberg, though. It promises to be a sunny, fun weekend in Florida — I couldn’t be more excited to once again break out some warm weather style essentials, just as in past road trips to Florida, and it’s certainly a treat to embark on another Style Guide road trip centered around stellar music. Now, I know we can’t all be so fortunate as to head to warm weather every weekend … if you’ll be battling chilly temperatures, I’d recommend a stylish pair of boots like the Nisolo Andres Boots,our most recent Style Pick of the Week here on the blog. And if holiday shopping is in the cards for you — as it should be — then you’d do well to check out this site’s picks as to the best gifts for men. But more on that very, very shortly. For now, you can join me on Instagram to follow along with all the fun this weekend, and you should stick around tomorrow to check out our next Style Pick of the Week. Alright, now it’s off to catch my flight!
- OK, folks — have we got a heck of a deal for you. Launching today (that’s December 1st), the good folks at Nisolo — of Andres Boot fame — are offering a men’s holiday gift bundle and an equally stellar women’s holiday gift bundle that you’re not going to want to miss. Now through December 24th, customers (that’d be you!) can spend $35 to get $250 worth of shopping credit at “bundle” brands — in short, we’re talking five brands and five gift cards good for $50 at each brand. What’s in store at each brand? Well, we’ve got rugged outdoor gear from United By Blue, beautiful bags from ONA, high-quality tailoring from Ledbury and stylish men’s boots from Nisolo, among other highlight in the men’s gift bundle. Seriously, what’s not to love about that? Again, you can get the men’s holiday gift bundle and the women’s holiday gift bundle (for yourself or someone else!) through December 24th.
- Wearing a casual T-shirt this holiday season doesn’t have to be sloppy. Over my Thanksgiving trip to Florida, I found myself reaching for a Barking Irons tee time and again, featuring soft fabric and a retro fit. If that sounds good to you, you might want to pick up the “War Is Over” Tee from Barking Irons, or one of the brand’s other sharp graphic tees. They’d make a great gift for the guy who appreciates standout casual style, too.
- Let’s talk a bit of grooming today on the blog, and specifically, how to keep your teeth in prime shape during the holiday season. Between red wine, chocolate, craft beer and more, keeping your teeth white can be a tall order. So, I’ve been testing out LusterPremiumWhite and the brand’s PowerWhite Deep Stain Eraser Flouride Toothpaste (courtesy of the brand) these past few weeks, and I truly can’t recommend the brand enough! It even helped me soar through my last dentist appointment with flying colors (well, sort of). Grab a tube now.
And with that, I say goodbye until … tomorrow!
Enjoy the weekend!
Hey there, folks — it’s Friday! And it’s time to wrap up the work week here and jet off into the weekend (preferably dressed in casual weekend style). The start of November means a few things, at least for me personally … namely, it’s a month that’s VERY closely associated with my favorite song by my favorite band (that’d be “Mr. November” by The National). Does that stellar song top my list of things to look forward to this month? Well, of course not … but it’s a fun one nonetheless. We’ve also got Thanksgiving on the horizon, along with Black Friday shopping aplenty; you can expect a full rundown of stylish men’s gear to buy for that occasion here in the next few weeks. For now though, I’m happy to be at home in Brooklyn this weekend. My fall travels have taken me out to Portland and south to Nashville, along with a quick Northeast jaunt to Boston to see, as luck would have it … The National! But my focus is solely on the homefront this weekend. I’m planning on swinging by my favorite menswear and coffee shop, Upstate Stock, to check out plenty of finely crafted #menswear, and I’m also hoping to make my way to a local sports bar to cheer on my beloved Michigan State Spartans as the battle the Penn State Nittany Lions in a college football showdown. What’s on your weekend agenda? Before you dive in, check out the below men’s style news for your reading pleasure. Cheers!
- Want a simply designed, yet simply unbeatable, windbreaker? The GoRuck Simple Windbreaker (would ya look at that!) is the one to buy now! Read more via my latest GearMoose post, and check out my own guide on how to wear a bomber jacket for more inspo.
- Make no mistake, I’m not necessarily a hiking enthusiast, per se — but I know great outdoor gear (and rugged style essentials) when I see it on the market. Interestingly enough, Gear Patrol makes the case that you shouldn’t buy new outdoor gear … how about that? What’s your take on that?
- Now, I sure do love me a stylish men’s henley — and if you happened to catch my feature for The Manual on the best men’s henleys, you know that all too well! Get yourself one before it’s too late, my friends.
Alright, my friends … that’s all the #menswear I’ve got for ya today!
Enjoy the weekend, and check back for tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week!
Is it just me, or has it been a long week? For your Style Guide author at least, it took a bit to recover from a fun trip out West to the lovely city of Portland! That’s a long flight back to Brooklyn, but while in the City of Roses, I visited som excellent craft breweries, dined at a few great restaurants and took in a live show by the excellent synth pop band Future Islands! Again, you can read my trip recap and get some travel style tips of your own at that link. All very cool, exciting things to do on the road — and a nice way to cap off a month of travel, which also included a weekend trip to Nashville! Given all the hustle and bustle over these past few weeks, I’m definitely looking forward to a relaxing weekend exploring Brooklyn and of course, working on more #menswear content while listening to some excellent tunes and perhaps enjoying a refreshing cold brew. On that note, The Killers released a new album, “Wonderful Wonderful,” last week — despite some mixed reviews, it’s on track to be the band’s first No.1 album in the U.S. How about that? Maybe give that a listen as you dive into the below men’s style news? And most importantly, enjoy the weekend and check out tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week. Cheers!
- Let’s kick things off with news of an important giveaway — perhaps the most important giveaway you’ll enter all week! No, definitely the most important giveaway you’ll enter all week. GearMoose is giving you the chance to win a Taylor Stitch giveaway featuring pieces from the stellar Good Acre Collection. That includes a durable Chore Shirt or two, hard-wearing Chore Pants and plenty, plenty more — enter the Taylor Stitch giveaway at GearMoose and you’ll (hopefully) be rewarded! A heads-up — it runs for two weeks, so you’ve got plenty of time to again, enter this stellar Taylor Stitch giveaway.
- What’s more quintessentially American than the crewneck sweatshirt? With athletic roots and a heritage that’s decidedly not high-fashion, this staple has stuck around for decades — and the stylish crewneck sweatshirt is being brought back in all kinds of forms by designers and brands new and old. You probably even know some (including the Todd Snyder x Champion Classic Pocket Sweatshirt, yes?). That’s why it was such a treat to write about the best men’s crewneck sweaters for The Manual — shop away and enjoy!
- With roots in sporty and collegiate style — at least where I’m from in the Midwest — a stylish hooded sweatshirt can be tough to come by. But a hooded bomber jacket is an easy, grab-and-go piece that can actually look pretty smooth in more casual style situations — don’t take my word for it, though. Style Girlfriend tells you all about how to wear a hooded bomber the right way this season. It can indeed be done, friends!
- Let’s end on another music-related note. Here in Brooklyn earlier this week, I had the pleasure of seeing the fantastic, fun and bright British pop duo Oh Wonder. They dropped their second album, “Ultralife,” earlier this summer, as it were — it’s filled with vibrant hooks, beautiful singing by Josephine Vander Gucht and some great live tracks. It’s an unexpected second album from a duo that never intended to make an album in the first place, and this Toronto Star profile captures the innovative, fun spirit that went into this album (and a heck of a show at Brooklyn Steel!).
We’re going to get the weekend started a little early today, my friends — we’ve got the Michigan State-Iowa football game coming up tomorrow, and I’d wager that we’ve got some men’s style and craft beer adventures around Brooklyn on the way, too. Follow along on Instagram for more, check back tomorrow for a new Style Pick of the Week and make sure you see us on Sunday for another See Now, Buy Now entry — #SundayFunday style.
Thanks for reading!
Let’s turn the page on another week and hop right into the weekend here on The Style Guide. With another Friday Read comes another step closer toward fall. From football tailgates to breaking in new Chelsea boots all the way through to knocking back a rich IPA or an Oktoberfest beer at your local haunt, it’s a great time to prep for the season with perfectly rugged fall style. We’ve been talking a lot about those themes on the blog, from a new way to wear your denim jacket to the best men’s boots for fall, too.
If all of that #menswear doesn’t get you excited, I’m not sure what will! I know I’m excited to break out some new seasonal favorites — you can follow me on Instagram for more there. And in the meantime, you might want to tag along this coming weekend; I’ll be hitting the road in style once again, this time on a West Coast trip to lovely Portland! It’s coming on the heels of a big fall event at my day job, so the trip is perfectly timed for a little rest, relaxation, craft beer, fall menswear and of course, some live music. Who exactly is on the docket? Why, passionate, energetic and plain fun synth pop band Future Islands! Give their new album, “The Far Field,” a spin as you relax with your weekend coffee and a few prime pieces of men’s style news — which, as always, you can find below!
- As we talked about earlier, it’s the perfect season for a great pair of stylish leather boots — right? Right. And my picks for The Manual covering the best leather boots for men might just take the cake. At least, that’s what I think! Read up now, folks.
- Fancy getting out of the city on a hike? I know I could use a getaway every now and then — and if you’re more outdoors-minded than this city dweller, one of the best pairs of men’s hiking pants, as written about by yours truly, could very well be of interest. Get out there and get to it!
Alright, we’re keeping it short and sweet today — although if I had to make one last recommendation, it’d be to read this neat Esquire rundown of why you need a denim shirt in your fall men’s style rotation. Get it? Got it? Good.
Happy Friday and enjoy the weekend!
Wait a second … what do the above topics in that headline have to do with each other? Well, they’re the subject of today’s Friday Read on The Style Guide — at least, partially anyway. We’re capping off a great transitional week of weather here in NYC — did you catch this week’s #OOTD on how to wear a rugged overshirt for fall? It’s a great one, if I do say so myself. Perhaps my Instagram can be of service if you want some real-time #menswear tips, too? And if you follow me on the ‘Gram or on Twitter, you saw my early fall weekend trip to Nashville — but more on that in a second. How’s your fall style wish list coming along? Quite nicely, I’d hope? If you have yet to get started, I’d point you toward my rundown of rugged fall style gear, published late last month on the blog. And if you want a pair of stylish leather boots to tide you over, I’d assuredly point you toward this site’s See Now, Buy Now series. Shopping isn’t the only thing on tap for me this weekend, though.
You know that we’re really, truly closing out summer and starting fall when it’s time for The Meadows NYC, a popular (and growing!) music and arts festival in its second year at Citi Field in Queens. This year’s Sunday lineup — my day of choice — packs in a diverse crowd of personal favorites, from Foster to the People to DREAMERS to Canadian pop rockers Arkells to a must-see classic, the Red Hot Chili Peppers. So, that’s where Sunday will take me — but in the meantime, I’d urge you to check out tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week. Oh, and if we’re lucky, an all-new Sunday style post in our See Now, Buy Now series is coming down the pipeline, too. That’s all I’ve got for now — see you out there!
- Let’s kick this off with a great deal for you — sound like a plan? Perennial Style Guide favorites Frank and Oak, makers of elevated, premium basics and expertly crafted tailoring, are offering you 20 percent off first-time orders of $50 or more until September 30th with the code SEPT20. Yep, that’s right — 20 percent off. Who’s into that? It’s a nice deal considering that the code will knock a solid chunk of change off the brand’s stylish shirting and lightweight sweaters, both of which should absolutely be on your shopping list when it comes to early fall style essentials. Again, use the code SEPT20 to get 20 percent off first-time orders of $50 or more. That’s a deal that bears repeating.
- Mr. Todd Snyder makes the type of clothing that you can put on and forget about — it’s just that stylish and easy to wear. He mixes rugged menswear with easygoing pieces and excellent fabrication — and that’s certainly the case with the Todd Snyder Italian Boucle Shirt Jacket, my latest feature for GearMoose! Blending the best of cool, continental style, this piece would look right at home over a classic Oxford shirt or a grey chambray shirt — add your favorite pair of dark denim, and you’re all set!
- As I said above, I spent the past weekend exploring the outstanding city of Nashville — among those highlights were stops through imogene + willie, a standout purveyor of finely crafted denim — and a couple trips to the very cool, industrially appointed Barista Parlor. You can catch my full trip recap and get some men’s travel style tips of your own within the very same post!
- Last but not least today: What’s an “outdoor shirt” exactly? Well, it’s a rugged piece of outerwear that can work as a shirt, as a jacket … or both. And I wrote about the 20 best outdoor shirts for guys as we head into fall — once again, over at GearMoose. Read up now, and then learn how to wear a rugged overshirt this fall here at The Style Guide.
That’ll wrap up this week’s Friday Read — again, we’ll see you for tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week, and Sunday’s See Now, Buy Now feature!
Alright, folks — welcome back to the Friday Read and the capper on another week here at The Style Guide. From our Fall Style Wish List to a look at the best denim jacket to wear for the season — plus, a look at a stylish hooded sweatshirt for fall — it certainly was a busy, jam-packed week. And these busy #menswear times are set to continue this weekend, as it were; I’m on the road to Nashville to take in a full weekend in and around a great Southern city. You can expect a full recap coming Monday — from checking out spots like Pinewood Social to seeing what should be a great rock show by Young the Giant and Cold War Kids, I’m absolutely thrilled to take in the city. Any tips on things to do or places to go in Nashville? Feel free to hit me up on Twitter! And in the meantime, there’s more music on the way — my favorite band, indie rock heroes The National, dropped an incredible new record today in “Sleep Well Beast.” I won’t spoil it if you haven’t had the chance to listen, but it’s …. absolutely expectional. And with that, I have a rock show to prepare for! Stick around for the below reads today — have a great one, and cheers!
- And last but not least, because we’re keeping this one brief today — have you seen the latest edition of The List by your Style Guide author? In short, it covers all the rugged gear to shop for fall — I guarantee you that you’ll enjoy it.
OK, folks — I’m signing off early today! Enjoy the weekend and we’ll talk to you soon.