The dependable sneakers to wear all summer long.
Looking to get acquainted with perhaps the perfect pair of summer sneakers? A pair that’s going to outfit you for anything and everything you need, from outdoor grilling to early morning training? It is Memorial Day weekend, after all. In that vein, turn toward the OluKia ‘Inana Sneakers (as seen above) this weekend — they’re some of the best new sneakers to throw on your feet. Now that you’ve got your stylish sneakers sorted out for the weekend, let’s turn toward the matter at hand — as we mentioned, it’s Memorial Day weekend! This long weekend marks the official (unofficial?) start of summer, plus a great opportunity to head to the beach or pool, open up your cabin for the season, and naturally … shop some of the best summer style essentials around. My travels won’t quite be taking me to a lake, though.
A legendary band returns to the U.K. for the first time in four years this weekend.
I’m actually heading across the pond yet again this year to take in the newly icnonic All Points East Festival, headlined by none other than world-famous rockers The Strokes! My last trip overseas took me to chilly Dublin, but I expect a warm London weekend brought in by an iconic rock band this time around. The Strokes were a seminal band for me during college and beyond, and it didn’t hurt that they defined the sound of the early-’00s NYC rock revival! It’s fitting that they’re joined at this festival by none other than post-punk rock champions Interpol (another favorite!) and … *cue the applause* Jack White’s The Raconteurs! It’s an action-packed lineup for one heck of a great price at All Points East, and the perfect chance for me to explore London (and particularly the cool Shoreditch neighborhood near the festival) for a few days. Care to follow along? Head to my Instagram or my Twitter to check out all the action. Maybe throw on some tunes by The Strokes as you do. Now, that’s all I’ve got today — I’ve got a flight to catch!
- If ever you peruse the pages of this blog, or the pages of one of my other favorite sites (GearMoose!), you might know I love recommending a stylish polo for summer. In that same vein, I wrote about the Wellen Hemp Polo, a sustainable and well-made menswear essential that’s going to keep you cool, yet sharp, as the thermostat climbs.
- Every week, we (and by we, I mean me) try to tell you about the men’s basics that aren’t so, well, basic. On that front, I can’t recommend the Taylor Stitch Heavy Bag Tee enough — I wrote about it recently here on the blog, and it’s surely worth your time if you want a dependable summer T-shirt that gets the job done.
- Style and toughness is the name of the game when it comes to the best men’s dive watches — wouldn’t you agree? It’s with that approachable aim in mind that I wrote about my favorites for my friends at The Manual. Taking on summer just got a whole lot more stylish.
So with that, it’s time to wrap up today’s edition of The Friday Read — before you head out for Memorial Day weekend, I’d advise you to check out my #OOTD (quickly!) on the best travel gear to wear for spring and summer. You won’t regret it. Until tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week, cheers!
The slim denim you need for the weekend ahead.
Are you geared up and ready for the weekend? Surely not yet, right? Or at least, not without a pair of slim light wash denim from Mott and Bow, correct? This brand makes comfortable, premium jeans that are as fit for a casual Friday (like today!) as they are for your weekend escapades — in fact, I might just be wearing mine soon as I hit the road. That’s right, I’ve got another very, very exciting trip upcoming! I’ll be heading back to Portland, Oregon (I was last there in September 2017 to see Future Islands play!) this weekend, and the occasion is just as special this time around. I absolutely love this city for its mix of old and new, with a refreshing contemporary-yet-authentic vibe (don’t believe those who compare it to “Portlandia” … all the time, at least). I’ll be heading to this great Northwest city to see one of my favorite bands, lauded California indie rockers Local Natives,play what should be a wonderful live show behind their excellent recent album “Violet Street” — it’s assuredly one of my favorites this year so far, and they always put on an astounding show! Of course, you can follow along with me on Instagram as I hit up spots like Hopworks Brewery, Blue Star Donuts and Courier Coffee (not necessarily in that order). What’s on tap for your weekend? Any suggestions for Portland must-do’s? Let me know on Twitter, and get your weekend started the right way … now!
- The good folks at Banana Republic are keeping you cool this summer with a unique new partnership: The Banana Republic Core Collection, formed in partnership with star QB Jared Goff of the Los Angeles Rams, features a prime mix of classic silhouettes (think chinos and travel-friendly blazers) merged with performance fabric — and per usual, I wrote about it for The Manual! Stay cool out there.
- If you follow me on Instagram, you know I love — LOVE — a stylish pair of leather boots. Especially a stylish pair of Taylor Stitch leather boots, right? On that note, I covered the newly launched Taylor Stitch Moto Boots for GearMoose; talk about a winning pair of investment-level footwear, yeah? No kidding.
OK, my friends. That’s all from me today, but I’ll leave you with one last guide as to what to wear this spring — hit that link for more. And for now, I’ve got a flight to catch! Cheers.
We’ve had quite a lot going on around The Style Guide as of late, from a recent trip to Detroit (Editor’s note: Check out my amazing girlfriend Laura’s guide to things to do in Detroit!) to quite a few neat #menswear events here in NYC — one of which you’ll learn about below! Along the way, I’ve carved out some to listen to some new tunes — the new CHVRCHES album “Love is Dead” has been on heavy rotation — and I’ve tried some tasty new beer to kick off summer. On that note, Corona Premier is a pleasingly light, easy-to-drink beer that still harnesses some nice flavor (thanks to the brand for sending over some test brews!). While I love a hefty New England or West Coast IPA — of which you can find a good deal of in Brooklyn — I’ve still got a soft spot for a Corona and a day spent catching some sun.
But, back to business. Let’s talk about the watch you need for summer adventures. Or conversely, the classic white tee to wear with everything this season. Or perhaps, a stylish short-sleeve shirt is more your speed this weekend. Whatever tickles your fancy, hopefully, we can help you find it. On that note, we’re looking into a few handy, helpful seasonal style matters today, a new outerwear brand and classic pocket tees among them. So for now, I’ll say farewell. Happy reading, happy shopping … oh, and cheers!
- Have you heard of or used Stitch Fix? I was able to give this personal styling service a try last fall via my Instagram and blog, but at any rate, GQ.com took a closer look at the inner workings of this fast-moving platform recently. You decide whether the service is for you, I’d say.
- I had the chance last week to check out the launch of North & Mark, a highly functional, highly stylish outerwear brand that makes its gear in NYC and draws inspiration from the Windy City. From four-way stretch blazers — tailored but easy to wear over a classic white tee to the office — to clean and classic overcoats and a heck of a stylish belted trench coat, this is one brand that’s certainly going to help you up your outerwear game when the weather calls for it.
- Esquire.com has been tracking the best songs of 2018 (so far), and I’m having a tough time picking my favorite from this list. For this self-proclaimed Indie Rock Dad (Editor’s note: Actually not a father!), it just might be “What a Time to be Alive” by revered North Carolina rockers Superchunk. What’s your pick from that list?
- Perhaps most helpfully for y’all, I wrote up some of the best men’s pocket tees for GearMoose.com. My favorite from this list? The Taylor Stitch Heavy Bag Tee, naturally.
That’s going to do it for today’s Friday Read. Still need something to read or something to shop? Start with my list of the best summer style essentials. Then, read why you need this timeless navy polo in your closet for summer. All set? All set.
The only thing standing between you and the weekend is today’s edition of the Friday Read. Well, not quite. Perhaps you’ve got a day on the old job ahead of you as power right on through into mid-April. If you missed the happenings this week at everyone’s favorite menswear blog (The Style Guide, of course), then we’re here to fill you in. We talked the best way to wear chukka boots this spring, and we also talked about one of the best pairs of spring chinos to buy now. So, there was certainly a lot going on in terms of style this week. Elsewhere in Brooklyn and beyond, I’m way excited to welcome my amazing girlfriend Laura to the borough and to the Big Apple for the very first time! While we’re here, she’s a marvelous photographer (and a wonderful human!), and you’d do well to check out her photography work. We’ve got lots on the docket, including exploring Prospect Park and Central Park, plus grabbing a classic NYC brunch and record shopping at the legendary Rough Trade in Brooklyn. And of course, it’ll be business as usual here on the blog, complete with tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week. For now, I’ll leave you to start your weekend with these choice reads. Thanks for supporting The Style Guide, and we’ll catch you on the flip!
- I’m all about experiential vacations that go beyond the ordinary. Such is the case with a new chance to stay in the old, famed Pabst Blue Ribbon brewery in the beer-friendly town of Milwaukee. That sounds like a trip I can get behind — my pals at The Manual have the full scoop.
- Who can resist an affordable, stylish watch? The great folks at Esquire.com have done their best to round up the best affordable watches for men, so give that a read before you make your next timepiece purchase. For my money, I think this affordable Timex watch as covered here on the blog might be your best bet for casual weekend style this season.
- Looking for an easy way to give your spring weekend style a shot in the arm? Just add a simple, easygoing and yet versatile layer like the Grayers Dalton Terry Crew (last week’s Style Pick of the Week entry). It really gets no better, folks. Wear it with light wash denim, white canvas sneakers and a slub T-shirt for off-duty style that just gets a lot of things right.
- Lastly, let’s talk one more dose of shopping today. Are you in need of new high-top sneakers for spring? Of course you are. My latest post for The Manual covers that topic precisely. Not a bad read, if I do say so myself!
That’s going to do it for today’s Friday Read. Enjoy the weekend and follow along with my adventures on Instagram and Twitter.
OK, Friday’s arrived once again — who’s amped?? It’s been a busy five-day work week here, not to mention a week packed with a heck of a lot of blog content. From my piece on the best weekender bag for spring travel (or, one of the best) to yet another look at casual winter layering via our #OOTD series, there’s been a lot of content to sink into these past few days. Closing out the week has me all the more excited for this weekend — in addition to prepping for a pretty big international (yep, international!) jaunt late next week, I’m pretty thrilled to be able to hit up a few choice spots for the much-lauded, much-loved NYC Beer Week. It’s a celebration of great craft beer, breweries and brewpubs around the city — think local, drink local, as it were. That means I’ll be checking out Marshall Stack in NYC’s Lower East Side tonight for a tap takeover by Gun Hill Brewing, a Bronx establishment that brews tasty concoctions like the solid Gun Hill IPA and the excellent Void of Light, a foreign stout. In short, what’s better than checking out a potential new favorite spot while enjoying a few much-loved beers? Not much — that’s the spirit of NYC Beer Week in a nutshell! It’s also, of course, the Big Ten Men’s Basketball Tournament here in New York City; with any luck, I’ll be at Madison Square Garden watching my beloved Spartans play for the Big Ten Tournament title on Sunday, too. Fingers crossed until then. Be sure to follow along on Instagram for all the action, and good luck wrapping up your week!
- Let’s kick things off by reimagining your sneaker closet. Premium sneaker brand KOIO — masters of crisp, easy-to-wear Italian-made sneakers — are back with a neat collab with ceramic artist Ben Medansky. The just-dropped Koio x Ben Medansky collab set of kicks draws inspiration from Medansky’s seriously cool ceramics work (right down to a piece of pottery threaded through the laces). These low-top sneakers also feature a striking blue sole and patterned leather based speckled ceramic pottery. They’re like a work of art for your feet, and a welcome change of pace from plain white leather sneakers (which Koio also happens to do very well). They’re extremely limited in terms of quantities — only 50 pairs were made — so act fast!
- Speaking of sneakers … surely you know GREATS, right? The Brooklyn purveyors of classic, very affordably priced sneakers are continuing to make waves in the footwear industry — and if you’re based out West, you’ll now be able to make the brand your own! That’s right, GREATS just opened its first store in California, great news for sneakerheads out in Cali. The shop is located at 1505 Abbot Kinney Blvd in Venice, and it opened back in February. As the brand says, it “marks a unique pivot in the digitally-native brand’s growth.” What does all of that mean for you? It means that if you live in Venice or LA, your sneaker game just got a BIG upgrade.
- In the way of non-footwear upgrades, let’s talk winter skincare. If your skin could use a refresh right about now, I think we’re in the same boat. Ao Skincare, out of New Zealand, could be just the brand to reach for the next time you want to amp up your grooming routine. They combine nature and science, using unique cold-processed formulas that result in some seriously excellent product (I’ve been testing out the brand these past few months). Let me know in the comments if you’re going to give ’em a shot yourself?
Alright, folks — that’s all for today’s Friday Read. Catch you for the Style Pick of the Week tomorrow!
Thanks for reading,
If you can believe it, we had to call an audible when it came to last week’s Friday Read given the hectic pace and scheduling of New York Fashion Week: Men’s. (Runway shows! Collection previews! Afterparties!). But I’m pleased to report that we’re back this week, and better than ever — well, hopefully. Who else is looking forward to the weekend? Was our guide to what to wear on Valentine’s Day this week helpful? You can be sure we’ll have more #OOTD content — and tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week — on the way very soon. On that note, did you catch last week’s Style Pick of the Week? The Taylor Stitch Winslow Jacket is about as good as it gets when it comes to adventure-ready weekend style. And speaking of weekend adventures… this weekend is an exciting, busy one as well. I’m hitting the road back to Grand Rapids to see childhood friends, enjoy Beer City U.S.A (!) and visit my family (including four nieces and nephews!). It’s going to be a jam-packed, super enjoyable weekend, dovetailing off my trip last February to Grand Rapids (and quickly becoming a tradition for me?). At any rate, you can catch all the action live on Instagram and Instagram Stories (of course). In the meantime, enjoy the weekend — cheers!
- So, the iconic, much-discussed and much-debated seminal indie album “In the Aeroplane Over the Sea” by Neutral Milk Hotel turned 20 last week; can ya believe it? It might have been just a bit before my time, but it’s an album worth studying & appreciating — as Pitchfork noted in its review upon its reissue some years ago … a perfect 10! What’s your take?
- The Winter Olympics are here — in the spirit of keeping you in the loop on the festivities, our pals at Esquire.com published the lazy person’s guide to the Winter Olympics; good enough, right?
- Perhaps you’ve seen this news already, but last week, L.L. Bean announced it was changing its return policy, a famously accommodating one at that; will you be taking more care of your Bean Boots from now on?
- Lastly, let’s talk what you’re drinking this weekend — the Samuel Adams Sam ’76 brew is my latest write-up over at GearMoose, and you might just want to track it down and raise a glass this weekend. Who’s with me?
Hopefully, the above features helped you start your weekend the right way — see you for tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week!
We’ve powered through the week and we’re staring down the weekend — that’s a heck of a good feeling, right? We kept busy at The Style Guide this week, serving you up an #OOTD that covers how to wear a crewneck sweater this winter (in a way that even works at the office, if you can believe it!). We also went behind the scenes on my latest men’s style road trip, this time to Florida for a birthday weekend at Disney World — a truly great time was had by all, to say the least! We stopped at countries “around the world” at Epcot, we checked out the wonders of Animal Kingdom and we even spent a jam-packed day at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter — not bad at all, right? I’m now looking forward to a laidback weekend, likely featuring some craft beers at Gold Star Beer Counter, plus some time spent in Prospect Park (and a likely trip to my favorite coffee-and-menswear spot in the city, Upstate Stock). Before we get to that, we’re rounding a day in the office — and helping you do the same — with some choice links for your perusal (and potential listening pleasure). Sound like a plan? Without further ado, let’s get this going.
- Esquire.com will kick off this edition of the Friday Read for us, namely the lauded (if struggling) retailer’s take on new dress shirts — stock up, maybe? Or maybe not?
- On a music-related note, this past week was a pretty big one for my favorite band, Ohio-born indie rockers The National — these well-dressed gentlemen took home the Grammy for Best Alternative Album! “Sleep Well Beast” was one of my favorite albums of this past year, and I think it’s a well-deserved accolade. Read more with the band’s Aaron Dessner at the link above.
- I absolutely love me a great pair of shoes — especially retro-inspired high-tops like the Converse Chuck 70 Wordmark, which I wrote about for GearMoose. Step into ’em, lace up and get ready to step out in style!
- I don’t know about you, but I found this Esquire.com piece on WeWork — the global “shared-space nerve center,” as Esquire says — to be quite fascinating. What say you?
That’s going to close out this week’s Friday Read — until the next one (and until tomorrow’s Style Pick — enjoy your weekend!)