Hey there, my friends — let’s raise a glass to the weekend, yes? It’s been a jam-packed week in NYC, from a media event at my day job at NYC’s Coyne PR to some excellent rock shows on the side, including a long-awaited retun from my pals in the West Coast-based indie rock band Mainland. They played the legendary Mercury Lounge on Wednesday night as part of a sold-out tour alongside fellow rockers The Wrecks — talk about a great night of guitar-driven jams. And for what it’s worth, the latest Mainland release, the anthemic “I Found God,” is an excellent, high-voltage song packed with power and a poignant, moving music video to go along with it. A heck of a way to spend a Wednesday night, certainly! This weekend promises more fun, too — I’m heading upstate for a quick day trip to the lovely town of Beacon, home to the world-class Dia: Beacon art museum. It’ll be a nice getaway after a busy week, and I’m bringing my favorite fall style essentials with me, of course. For full coverage, be sure to check out my Instagram. What’s on the docket this weekend for you? On the style front, I’d say you should prep to dress for your next tailgate in style if you’re heading out to a ballgame. Taking things just a bit more casually? We’ve also got you set when it comes to weekend style essentials. Again, I hope you enjoy the weekend — and I hope it’s filled with great coffee, great brunch and great beer!
- It’s never too early to start shopping around for the best men’s holiday gifts — right? Right? Luckily, our pals at Huckberry have darn near everything you need for a great stocking stuffer (and beyond). Some initial favorites of mine? Ursa Major’s Essential Face Wipes, the cool and cozy Acorn Astronaut Slippers, Fulton & Roark Shave Cream, and of course, the Be Home Copper Bar Set. Fear not, though — we’ll cover plenty of holiday gift suggestions and Black Friday deals in the week ahead.
- If you’re on the hunt for a new timepiece — which you certainly should be — your search might just be ending … well, today. Martenero lovingly crafts durable, striking timepieces with heritage quality and a modern edge. The Kerrison, the brand’s latest effort is A) Assembled in New York and B) Made with some seriously cool design touches. We’re talking a crisp, simple and stylish everyday watch. It’s available for pre-funding on Kickstarter now and if I were you … I’d hop over to that page and hand over some money.
- While we’re talking all things Kickstarter, how about upgrading your everyday carry? Maybe with something as simple as the Minimal Mechanical Pencil? From Modern Fuel, this excellently designed mechanical pencil is simple enough to be essential — in short, it’s a pencil you’ll want to pre-fund now … before you find yourself using it all the time, everyday. Plege $340 or more and get the Collector’s Set, featuring one of each pencil. Tell me that’s not a great deal, ehh?
- Now, aside from menswear writing and live music, I’ve got another passion — that of excellent craft beer. It’s easy to find so many great spots serving up richly crafted beer in NYC, but October (a recently launched beer and music-centric publication) delves into a cool question: What if you only had two taps at your restaurant or bar? What would you serve? The examples seen in this feature are pretty neat, to say the least.
That’s going to do it for this week’s Friday Read — enjoy a nice weekend, shop a few of my fall men’s style essentials, and see you tomorrow for the Style Pick of the Week. Cheers!
Hello again and welcome to the weekend, Style Guide readers. It’s time to wrap up the week in style with The Friday Read, your look at all the essential #menswear news to know … plus, a few other fun pieces. Are you keeping up with our near-continual coverage of men’s fall style essentials? It’s certainly the right time to be on the lookout for wardrobe upgrades, from the best leather boots for fall to the right way to wear a vest this season. Yes indeed, fall in New York City calls to mind rugged menswear, but it also reminds me of my home in Michigan — seeing the colors change here in Brooklyn’s Prospect Park calls to mind beautiful strolls through the campus of my alma mater, Michigan State University. It’s not quite the same here out East, but it’s close enough. What’s on your fall weekend agenda? After a busy few weeks of traveling, I’m excited to have a second straight weekend in Brooklyn — I’m planning on exploring the neighborhood of Red Hook, what with cool spots like vintage menswear haven Wooden Sleepers. In the meantime, you can expect a new Style Pick of the Week tomorrow — have a great weekend, folks!
- Let’s talk stylish menswear — and a heck of a stylish giveaway — from a few brands we know and love, including perennial Style Guide favorites Grayers and SeaVees! The two brands are running a whopping $2,500 menswear giveaway through Sunday, November 12th. What’s on tap? Oh, man. The SeaVees x Grayers Tailgate Givewaway features full outfits from Grayers, two pairs of SeaVees sneakers and of course, other tailgating gear (like a Yeti cooler). What have you got to lose? Enter the giveaway here — and check out my own personal tips on how to dress for your next tailgate, while we’re talking sports and style.
- We’ve talked recently about the best men’s cardigans to buy now — ’tis the season, indeed. Well, get your credit card handy and add to your shopping list as soon as you can, because Kinross Cashmere is making one stylish handsome, refined cardigan to add to your list. That is to say, the brand’s entire line of cashmere and cashmere-blend sweaters is perfect … but I love the Contrast Double Rib Button Front Cardigan the best. Shop away!
- As always, Esquire.com is here with more interesting writing for your reading pleasure. The site is digging into why Daylight Savings Time is … actually not all that beneficial. Huh. An interesting read, certainly,
- Want to switch up your black tie look? Considerably, that is to say? Here, it’s covered — the Jack Sharp by Snoop Dogg X Collection by Michael Strahan Jacket is fun, holiday-friendly, affordable and … well, vouched for by Snopp Dogg. Super smooth, nicely tailored and just a bit tongue-in-cheek. A fun little holiday party move, ehh? (If you’re searching for even more guidance on the #menswear to wear to a holiday party, head here).
With that … let’s wrap this thing up! Have a great weekend, and be sure to follow along on my Instagram for complete coverage of all my Brooklyn weekend adventures (nudge, nudge).
Thanks for reading!
Hey there, folks — it’s Friday! And it’s time to wrap up the work week here and jet off into the weekend (preferably dressed in casual weekend style). The start of November means a few things, at least for me personally … namely, it’s a month that’s VERY closely associated with my favorite song by my favorite band (that’d be “Mr. November” by The National). Does that stellar song top my list of things to look forward to this month? Well, of course not … but it’s a fun one nonetheless. We’ve also got Thanksgiving on the horizon, along with Black Friday shopping aplenty; you can expect a full rundown of stylish men’s gear to buy for that occasion here in the next few weeks. For now though, I’m happy to be at home in Brooklyn this weekend. My fall travels have taken me out to Portland and south to Nashville, along with a quick Northeast jaunt to Boston to see, as luck would have it … The National! But my focus is solely on the homefront this weekend. I’m planning on swinging by my favorite menswear and coffee shop, Upstate Stock, to check out plenty of finely crafted #menswear, and I’m also hoping to make my way to a local sports bar to cheer on my beloved Michigan State Spartans as the battle the Penn State Nittany Lions in a college football showdown. What’s on your weekend agenda? Before you dive in, check out the below men’s style news for your reading pleasure. Cheers!
- Want a simply designed, yet simply unbeatable, windbreaker? The GoRuck Simple Windbreaker (would ya look at that!) is the one to buy now! Read more via my latest GearMoose post, and check out my own guide on how to wear a bomber jacket for more inspo.
- Make no mistake, I’m not necessarily a hiking enthusiast, per se — but I know great outdoor gear (and rugged style essentials) when I see it on the market. Interestingly enough, Gear Patrol makes the case that you shouldn’t buy new outdoor gear … how about that? What’s your take on that?
- Now, I sure do love me a stylish men’s henley — and if you happened to catch my feature for The Manual on the best men’s henleys, you know that all too well! Get yourself one before it’s too late, my friends.
Alright, my friends … that’s all the #menswear I’ve got for ya today!
Enjoy the weekend, and check back for tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week!
From fall weather finally starting to arrive in NYC to recent entries here on the blog — like this week’s rundown of the best men’s shirts for fall — the best season for all of us #menswear fans is truly starting to take shape. How’s your week ending, and how’s your weekend looking? If you’re going traipsing through an apple orchard, hiking in your local park or perhaps just knocking back a few fall beers at your favorite brewery, I’d suggest you dress in rugged fall style, perhaps with a classic flannel shirt? Ehh? I’m looking forward to getting out and about this weekend, too — in fact, I’m heading to Chicago once again as we speak! I’ll be catching up with old college friends and enjoying the city’s craft beer & menswear scenes, per usual. I had an excellent time visiting Chicago this past summer — and taking in Lollapalooza Chicago — and I know more great times are in store soon. Have suggestions on Chicago activities for me? Hit me up on Twitter, or check out The Style Guide Facebook page! For now, let’s get the weekend going, shall we?
- I guarantee you that you need one — a stylish field jacket, that is! Shop my picks for the best men’s field jackets for GearMoose recently, my friends.
- Y’all are familiar with the excellent #menswear coming out of Bridge & Burn, right? I visited the brand on a West Coast trip to Portland last month, and I’ve also interviewed founder Erik Prowell here on The Style Guide. That being said, I’d encourage you to shop my favorite picks from Bridge & Burn, as covered on The Manual recently! Cheers!
- We’ve had lots of content going up on the blog lately, but among the menswear I’m recommending you pick up for fall, the SeaVees x Huckberry Coronado Boot is a unique shoe that’s part sneaker, part boot and plenty stylish. Read more here.
- Finally — and outside of the menswear realm — taking care of yourself, your well-being and your work life is, to say the least, vitally important. That being said, there’s a new supplement on the market that can help you along on that front. ALTA, a vegan supplement delivered in crisp packaging via the brand’s subscription model, is doing it right with ALTA Focus and Mood supplements, newly launched and ready to help you power through whatever’s on your plate. I’ve tried out the Focus supplement recently, and can definitely recommend it (and thank you to the brand for sending!). Will you be giving it a shot soon?
That’s all I’ve got today, my friends. Need new fall boots? Shop away. Want a stylish shirt for fall? This post should have you covered.
And with that — thanks for reading!
TGIF and congrats are in order, right? We made it — no, powered through — another week of #menswear here at The Style Guide. Have you been keeping up? I’ve enjoyed ramping up a recent new series on the blog, our ongoing See Now, Buy Now entries, which cover all sorts of men’s style essentials to see now and … buy now. Don’t forget to check out our fall style wish list, either — ’tis the season! Want to see something different on the blog in the way of content? Let me know in the comments or on Twitter and I’ll get right on it! In the meantime, it’ll be an exciting and busy Brooklyn weekeend — I’m hosting my mom, dad and sister for a weekend of stylish Brooklyn exploration!
We’ve got a Broadway show on tap, plus some stops at the New York Food and Wine Festival and likely a few pints at some of Brooklyn’s best craft beer spots (lookin’ at you, Other Half Brewing Company). Where will your weekend adventures take you? Be sure to dress in fall travel style, will ya? Have a great weekend!
- Have you caught one of the latest #OOTD write-ups here on the blog? We’re calling it out specifically today simply because it’s such a crucial — and fun — menswear move to make this season. Yes indeed, the right flannel shirt can work in casual style situations galore, from your next bonfire to a fall hike to dressing in style for a tailgate. Read the #OOTD to learn how to style the Filson Vintage Flannel Shirt, folks.
- If you, like me, often find you have trouble taking care of your keys, check out the Key Titan. I covered this everyday carry essential for GearMoose recently, and the Key Titan surely looks like it’d be an excellent way to stay organized (and y’know, avoid having to call a locksmith).
- We’ve talked a lot this season about essential fall gear, from a stylish indigo shirt jacket to a tough denim trucker jacket. You can add one more piece to your fall style wish list, though — the American Giant Mechanic’s Jacket is a heck of a well-crafted coat, and I covered it recently for The Manual. Shop away!
Alright, my friends. We’re all done for this week — unless you count tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week, or Sunday’s See Now, Buy Now entry. So, plenty more rugged menswear for fall is on the way!
My friends, it’s another big Friday at The Style Guide — as seems to be the case lately. It’s been a busy fall of travel for your #menswear author and editor already, what with stylish trips to Portland and Nashville already in the books. And as luck would have it, I’m en route back from yet another #menswear and music-centric trip as we speak! Last night, I made the relatively quick hop up to Boston from NYC to see my favorite band, lauded indie rockers The National, kick off their fall U.S. tour! I took in a great, great show — nearly beyond words — and even grabbed a few craft beers at the excellent Tip Tap Room, too.
As if that wasn’t incredible enough, my trip back to Brooklyn comes just as the band arrives in New York City for an evening show at the elegant Forest Hills Stadium in Queens — where you’ll find me this evening! You can look for full details on both shows and the weekend itself in a #menswear post coming to the blog on Monday, and in the meantime, you can follow along on Instagram for up-to-the-song updates. Need something to read while you kick off your own weekend? We’ve got you covered below, and we’ve got you covered with your shopping, too. You can — and should — shop the best men’s jackets for fall, pick up stylish travel gear via the Bespoke Post Wander Box and perhaps add to your fall wardrobe with the stellar Flint and Tinder Flannel-Lined Waxed Trucker before the weekend kicks off. So, that’s taken care of — onto the reading picks below! Cheers and rock on.
- An easy-to-wear, easy-to-layer, rugged shirt jacket is a fall style essential — pair it with a slim striped henley and tan chinos, plus leather boots … or take it to the next level and slide it on underneath a field jacket. Those are just two of my suggestions, though — if it’s a stylish shirt jacket you seek, you’d best get started with my picks for the best men’s shirt jackets from GearMoose.
- I love the work being done on the sneaker front by CLAE — if you followed along with my fall trip to Nashville, you know that I brought the Gregory Mid with me, and you know that the brand blends the sporty and the classic with comfortable technology. Such is the case with the High and Lows x CLAE launch — the brand teamed with the lauded international retailer on a cool Chelsea boot revamp known as the Richards Zip Vibram Boot. Available in two color options, we’re talking water-resistant, sporty style and details like a heavy-duty pull tab for extra durability. Not a bad job at all by CLAE! (And to see how I style the rest of my sneaker collection — from CLAE and beyond — head to my Instagram).
Lastly, you can head back here tomorrow to check out the latest Style Pick of the Week — and on Sunday, we’ll get into an all-new See Now, Buy Now entry covering more rugged menswear for fall. It’ll be great, folks!
Thanks for reading,
Is it just me, or has it been a long week? For your Style Guide author at least, it took a bit to recover from a fun trip out West to the lovely city of Portland! That’s a long flight back to Brooklyn, but while in the City of Roses, I visited som excellent craft breweries, dined at a few great restaurants and took in a live show by the excellent synth pop band Future Islands! Again, you can read my trip recap and get some travel style tips of your own at that link. All very cool, exciting things to do on the road — and a nice way to cap off a month of travel, which also included a weekend trip to Nashville! Given all the hustle and bustle over these past few weeks, I’m definitely looking forward to a relaxing weekend exploring Brooklyn and of course, working on more #menswear content while listening to some excellent tunes and perhaps enjoying a refreshing cold brew. On that note, The Killers released a new album, “Wonderful Wonderful,” last week — despite some mixed reviews, it’s on track to be the band’s first No.1 album in the U.S. How about that? Maybe give that a listen as you dive into the below men’s style news? And most importantly, enjoy the weekend and check out tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week. Cheers!
- Let’s kick things off with news of an important giveaway — perhaps the most important giveaway you’ll enter all week! No, definitely the most important giveaway you’ll enter all week. GearMoose is giving you the chance to win a Taylor Stitch giveaway featuring pieces from the stellar Good Acre Collection. That includes a durable Chore Shirt or two, hard-wearing Chore Pants and plenty, plenty more — enter the Taylor Stitch giveaway at GearMoose and you’ll (hopefully) be rewarded! A heads-up — it runs for two weeks, so you’ve got plenty of time to again, enter this stellar Taylor Stitch giveaway.
- What’s more quintessentially American than the crewneck sweatshirt? With athletic roots and a heritage that’s decidedly not high-fashion, this staple has stuck around for decades — and the stylish crewneck sweatshirt is being brought back in all kinds of forms by designers and brands new and old. You probably even know some (including the Todd Snyder x Champion Classic Pocket Sweatshirt, yes?). That’s why it was such a treat to write about the best men’s crewneck sweaters for The Manual — shop away and enjoy!
- With roots in sporty and collegiate style — at least where I’m from in the Midwest — a stylish hooded sweatshirt can be tough to come by. But a hooded bomber jacket is an easy, grab-and-go piece that can actually look pretty smooth in more casual style situations — don’t take my word for it, though. Style Girlfriend tells you all about how to wear a hooded bomber the right way this season. It can indeed be done, friends!
- Let’s end on another music-related note. Here in Brooklyn earlier this week, I had the pleasure of seeing the fantastic, fun and bright British pop duo Oh Wonder. They dropped their second album, “Ultralife,” earlier this summer, as it were — it’s filled with vibrant hooks, beautiful singing by Josephine Vander Gucht and some great live tracks. It’s an unexpected second album from a duo that never intended to make an album in the first place, and this Toronto Star profile captures the innovative, fun spirit that went into this album (and a heck of a show at Brooklyn Steel!).
We’re going to get the weekend started a little early today, my friends — we’ve got the Michigan State-Iowa football game coming up tomorrow, and I’d wager that we’ve got some men’s style and craft beer adventures around Brooklyn on the way, too. Follow along on Instagram for more, check back tomorrow for a new Style Pick of the Week and make sure you see us on Sunday for another See Now, Buy Now entry — #SundayFunday style.
Thanks for reading!
Let’s turn the page on another week and hop right into the weekend here on The Style Guide. With another Friday Read comes another step closer toward fall. From football tailgates to breaking in new Chelsea boots all the way through to knocking back a rich IPA or an Oktoberfest beer at your local haunt, it’s a great time to prep for the season with perfectly rugged fall style. We’ve been talking a lot about those themes on the blog, from a new way to wear your denim jacket to the best men’s boots for fall, too.
If all of that #menswear doesn’t get you excited, I’m not sure what will! I know I’m excited to break out some new seasonal favorites — you can follow me on Instagram for more there. And in the meantime, you might want to tag along this coming weekend; I’ll be hitting the road in style once again, this time on a West Coast trip to lovely Portland! It’s coming on the heels of a big fall event at my day job, so the trip is perfectly timed for a little rest, relaxation, craft beer, fall menswear and of course, some live music. Who exactly is on the docket? Why, passionate, energetic and plain fun synth pop band Future Islands! Give their new album, “The Far Field,” a spin as you relax with your weekend coffee and a few prime pieces of men’s style news — which, as always, you can find below!
- As we talked about earlier, it’s the perfect season for a great pair of stylish leather boots — right? Right. And my picks for The Manual covering the best leather boots for men might just take the cake. At least, that’s what I think! Read up now, folks.
- Fancy getting out of the city on a hike? I know I could use a getaway every now and then — and if you’re more outdoors-minded than this city dweller, one of the best pairs of men’s hiking pants, as written about by yours truly, could very well be of interest. Get out there and get to it!
Alright, we’re keeping it short and sweet today — although if I had to make one last recommendation, it’d be to read this neat Esquire rundown of why you need a denim shirt in your fall men’s style rotation. Get it? Got it? Good.
Happy Friday and enjoy the weekend!
Wait a second … what do the above topics in that headline have to do with each other? Well, they’re the subject of today’s Friday Read on The Style Guide — at least, partially anyway. We’re capping off a great transitional week of weather here in NYC — did you catch this week’s #OOTD on how to wear a rugged overshirt for fall? It’s a great one, if I do say so myself. Perhaps my Instagram can be of service if you want some real-time #menswear tips, too? And if you follow me on the ‘Gram or on Twitter, you saw my early fall weekend trip to Nashville — but more on that in a second. How’s your fall style wish list coming along? Quite nicely, I’d hope? If you have yet to get started, I’d point you toward my rundown of rugged fall style gear, published late last month on the blog. And if you want a pair of stylish leather boots to tide you over, I’d assuredly point you toward this site’s See Now, Buy Now series. Shopping isn’t the only thing on tap for me this weekend, though.
You know that we’re really, truly closing out summer and starting fall when it’s time for The Meadows NYC, a popular (and growing!) music and arts festival in its second year at Citi Field in Queens. This year’s Sunday lineup — my day of choice — packs in a diverse crowd of personal favorites, from Foster to the People to DREAMERS to Canadian pop rockers Arkells to a must-see classic, the Red Hot Chili Peppers. So, that’s where Sunday will take me — but in the meantime, I’d urge you to check out tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week. Oh, and if we’re lucky, an all-new Sunday style post in our See Now, Buy Now series is coming down the pipeline, too. That’s all I’ve got for now — see you out there!
- Let’s kick this off with a great deal for you — sound like a plan? Perennial Style Guide favorites Frank and Oak, makers of elevated, premium basics and expertly crafted tailoring, are offering you 20 percent off first-time orders of $50 or more until September 30th with the code SEPT20. Yep, that’s right — 20 percent off. Who’s into that? It’s a nice deal considering that the code will knock a solid chunk of change off the brand’s stylish shirting and lightweight sweaters, both of which should absolutely be on your shopping list when it comes to early fall style essentials. Again, use the code SEPT20 to get 20 percent off first-time orders of $50 or more. That’s a deal that bears repeating.
- Mr. Todd Snyder makes the type of clothing that you can put on and forget about — it’s just that stylish and easy to wear. He mixes rugged menswear with easygoing pieces and excellent fabrication — and that’s certainly the case with the Todd Snyder Italian Boucle Shirt Jacket, my latest feature for GearMoose! Blending the best of cool, continental style, this piece would look right at home over a classic Oxford shirt or a grey chambray shirt — add your favorite pair of dark denim, and you’re all set!
- As I said above, I spent the past weekend exploring the outstanding city of Nashville — among those highlights were stops through imogene + willie, a standout purveyor of finely crafted denim — and a couple trips to the very cool, industrially appointed Barista Parlor. You can catch my full trip recap and get some men’s travel style tips of your own within the very same post!
- Last but not least today: What’s an “outdoor shirt” exactly? Well, it’s a rugged piece of outerwear that can work as a shirt, as a jacket … or both. And I wrote about the 20 best outdoor shirts for guys as we head into fall — once again, over at GearMoose. Read up now, and then learn how to wear a rugged overshirt this fall here at The Style Guide.
That’ll wrap up this week’s Friday Read — again, we’ll see you for tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week, and Sunday’s See Now, Buy Now feature!