A lightweight, durable pair of spring Chelsea boots.
Right off the bat, it might seem the stylish boots seen at the top of the page — the Danner Mountain 600 Chelsea Boots — are more suited for fall and winter than spring. Rest assured, that’s not the case. These are the lightweight hiking boots you need in your rotation, and they’ll look just as stylish as the brewpub for happy hour afterward this spring and summer (they’ll pair particularly well with slim light wash jeans, too). So, that’s how I’d encourage you to start your weekend — by picking up a pair of those Danner boots. From there, well, you can go just about anywhere.
That’s what I’m planning to do this weekend, at least. I’m hoping to check out a few noted spots in lovely Red Hook, a former maritime hub in Brooklyn that still retains its charm. Brunch at Fort Defiance is on tap, as is a stop at vintage menswear emporium Wooden Sleepers — I’ll be wearing my own pair of the Danner Mountain 600 Chelsea Boots, as it were. It’s been a rather quiet April on the travel front, but I’m gearing up for a big coastal trip next weekend — stay tuned there! And for now, check out all the new men’s style essentials and tips for spring below. Oh, and be sure to find me on Instagram, too. Cheers!
- If you want affordable grooming essentials that take all the little details into account, you want the Groundskeeper by Dollar Shave Club set of hard-working, spring-friendly men’s grooming essentials — and you’re in luck, because I covered it for GearMoose. Can’t go wrong with a seasonal grooming upgrade!
- As far as essential men’s sneakers go, there’s one particular style that can do a ton of heavy lifting for you — that would be a pair of the best white sneakers. From luxe leather options to hard-wearing canvas models from brands you know and love, read my full roundup over at The Manual.
- While we’re talking about upgrading and improving your spring style, it’s just as important to keep in mind that even your off-duty fits deserve an update. With that in mind, I’m going to direct you toward a full rundown of the best new men’s style gear as we discuss how to upgrade your casual spring style this season. From a classic slub tee to timeless high-top sneakers, we’ve got something for everybody — you’ll be the best-dressed guy at the bar this weekend.
That’s the end of today’s Friday Read, folks. Having fun yet? Still looking for something to read to wile away the day? Check out all of my tips on how to wear a classic T-shirt for spring, if you feel so inclined. Or, read about the stylish cotton blazer that’ll upgrade any outfit (but especially one featuring a classic chambray shirt and slim tan chinos). How does that sound? Just add a delicious spring beer and call it a day. Have a good one, folks!
The tough T-shirt that’s going to layer with ease all spring.
OK, it’s here — another glorious spring Friday. What are you wearing this weekend? It’s about high time you picked up the best T-shirt for spring and summer — the Flint and Tinder Heavy Slub Tee, as shown above. It’s going to layer up perfectly with all manner of men’s style essentials, not to mention stylish spring sneakers or your favorite pair of chukka boots. It’s as simple as that. So, that’s the T-shirt you’re wearing this weekend. What’s on your weekend agenda? Perhaps a visit to your favorite brewery or maybe even an evening of live music? My weekend is going to contain a little bit of both — I’m kicking off Friday night right by seeing hard-rocking British band Foals play my favorite venue in the city, Brooklyn Steel! And beforehand, I plan to stop by Grimm Artisanal Ales for a few choice pre-concert brews. It all sounds great on paper — I certainly can’t wait. The rest of the weekend will be filled with searching out the perfect cup of coffee (I’m looking forward to hitting up Mixtape Bushwick in that regard), along with writing for some of my favorite menswear sites. As of late, I’ve started up writing again for Effortless Gent, a classic Web site I still love, and you can view that work here. For the rest of ya, well, there’s a nice selection of weekend reads below. Thanks for reading!
- Which jacket blends heritage-quality style with spring-ready layering potential and unlimited wearability? Why, that’s be the Todd Snyder x Golden Bear Bomber, as covered by yours truly at GearMoose! Cheers.
- In my mind, our #OOTD series is always worth a second — or third — look. In that regard, I’d say it behooves you to learn how to wear your new favorite T-shirt this spring. This look won’t let you down, I guarantee it.
- Whether you’re new to the world of taming your stubble or consider yourself a seasoned pro, it’d be handy to know about the best shave clubs for men — right? Enter my latest post for GearMoose covering the shaving essentials you can’t live without.
- Last but not least — do you have a spring getaway coming up? Are you wondering what to wear? Gear up with my suggestions for what to pack for a tropical spring break — it’s as easy as that.
Before you go, I’m going to point you toward one more handy, useful article — my guide on how to wear sneakers this spring. It’s as classic and essential as can be. Find it useful? Let me know on Twitter!
The one and only denim jacket you need for spring and summer, available right now.
I’ll come right out and say it — the one jacket you need to wear this weekend is the Flint and Tinder Type 2 Trucker Jacket. Seriously, it could be the best denim jacket on the market, and that’s really saying something. As sold by Huckberry (and available in the site’s section of Just Landed new gear), it belongs on your back for many spring and summer weekends to come. How could you not love the throwback style and yet modern cool that this thing brings to the table, right? At any rate, I digress — we’ve got work to do. Well, not a ton of work, seeing as it’s the start of a spring weekend and all. After quite a few weeks on the road (including a recent trip to wonderful Portland, Maine as seen on my Instagram), I’ll be hanging back in Brooklyn this weekend, enjoying a favorite cup of coffee and visiting with an old college friend up from Washington, D.C., and taking in all the city has to offer on the craft brewing front (I think a trip to Five Boroughs Brewing is in the cards). And if I had my way, well, I’d be wearing the Flint and Tinder Typer 2 Trucker Jacket for exploring many a great brewery — but a guy can dream, right? For adding to your own menswear wish list, check out my Friday news selections below. Thanks for reading!
- OK, so I mentioned the wildly popular show “Game of Thrones” up above in the headline … but I don’t watch the show (sorry!), so why did I call it out? Well, it’s got a menswear-specific tie-in. Namely, the John Varvatos x Game of Thrones collaboration just dropped, and I wrote about it for The Manual! Get even more of your GOT fix by reading up on the full offering.
- We’re well and truly into spring sneaker season — it’s with that in mind that I put together my own guide recently on the blog covering how to wear sneakers this spring. Can’t go wrong with an entry in our ongoing #OOTD series, can you?
- If you follow me on Instagram, you know I appreciate a tasty whiskey — in an Old Fashioned or on its own, on the rocks — as much as the next guy. In that regard, it was pretty neat to learn and write about Yellow Rose Outlaw Bourbon, one spirit you should serioulsy consider adding to your bar cart — read about why it’s so unique and essential (hint: It involves Texas corn!) over at GearMoose.With the weekend nearly upon us, I bet you’re ready to get going. Not so fast, my friends. Stick around for one more second to read about this spring’s must-buy boots (from Taylor Stitch naturally). And while you’re still here, you might want to read about the classic leather watch you need on your wrist … ASAP. OK, that’ll do it from me. Have a good one!
Your new favorite pants for spring — learn why below.
Huckberry might have said it best: “If there’s one thing you should never leave home without, it’s your pants.” I believe that to be quite true, and if you agree — which you should! — then it’s time to start this Friday with the Flint and Tinder 365 Pants. They’re some of the best men’s pants for spring, they’re a big favorite of mine, and they’re back and better than ever for a new season. Namely, the Flint and Tinder 365 Pants are all about fit this time around. Go with a roomier (but not baggy) Straight Fit, or keep things dialed in nicely with the Slim Fit iteration, which leans trim but doesn’t run too tight. I personally love the Olive colorway of the Flint and Tinder 365 Pants which you might have seen on my Instagram! So, that’s starting the weekend out nicely, I think. I wore a pair throughout the week this past week — and they proved really comfortable as I cruised around lovely Portland, Maine! You might have followed that trip on my Instagram, but it was quite the treat to check out some amazing craft beer breweries (Allagash Brewing and Austin Street Brewing come to mind!), capped off with a lovely stay at the excellent, sustainable Mercury Inn. See you soon, Portland!
What happens to be on your weekend agenda? I’m looking forward to indulging in one of my passions — no, not craft beer … James Bond! I’ll be heading to the James Bond Spyscape in NYC here on Saturday, as fitting a stop as any while we await more news on James Bond 25 (tentatively titled “Eclipse” … or is it?). Either way, I really can’t wait! Again, be sure to follow my Instagram to keep up with all the fun. As for the rest of the weekend? Well, let’s get it going with the lowdown on all the new men’s style essentials you need for spring — along with my required reading picks of the week, of course.
- Whenever I’m in doubt, I usually turn to the style-forward purveyors at Esquire to set me straight, in matters ranging from business casual style to seasonal upgrades. In this case, the site recently put together a guide on what to wear to work this spring — no better place to get your spring office style than the Esquire team, in my mind.
- If you follow me on Instagram, perhaps you’re aware that, unfortunately, I don’t wear a tie too often — part personal preference, part the nature of my casual office. However, if I had to wear a tie on the daily (maybe one day!), I’d wear one of my picks for the best ties for men, as I rounded up recently at The Manual. Cheers!
- Let’s take it back a couple weeks to this list of all the best new spring style essentials — how many of them have you picked up? From stylish shirting to tough outerwear, does it get any better? Answer: Nope, no it doesn’t! Read the full rundown here.
Let’s cover off on one last item of business before the weekend, shall we? Before you go, read all about my guide to dressing for spring rain. OK, that’s it from me! Cheers to the weekend!
Happy Friday, folks! We made it through another week, but I’m not done with my work just quite yet. Namely, we’re kicking off today’s post by telling you about the one product — just one — that can give your fresh spring haircut a lift (as seen above!). That would be the excellent V76 by Vaughn Texture Clay, an American-made men’s grooming essential that provides a medium hold and nice separation while moisturizing your hair. Say adios to your old winter ‘do — I’ve loved trying out the Texture Clay this week (as you might have seen on my Instagram), and I can’t recommend it enough. The Blue Cedar fragrance is mighty pleasing, and it’s also made without parabens. Simply perfect. Now, to other matters in menswear.
We’ll have another Style Pick of the Week coming tomorrow, so stay tuned. In the meantime, it’s pretty neat to be able to cross another city off my travel bucket list this fine spring weekend — for me, that’d be Portland, Maine, a City I’ve long wanted to explore for its reputed beer scene and small-town Northeast feel. I happen to be trekking there this weekend to enjoy the likes of great Northeast coffee & Allagash Brewing beer, to go along with a show (always a show!) by remarkable up-and-coming pop star Maggie Rogers! I’ve previously seen Maggie play two sold-out shows back in August 2017 at the wonderful Brooklyn Steel, and this Saturday night show at the State Theatre should be no less remarkable! I particularly love her debut album, “Heard It In A Past Life,” and am so excited for what should be a transcendent evening (truly!).
Have any suggestions as to what I should do in Portland? Hit me up on Twitter (find me via @BoKnowsClothes!). Make no mistake though, we’ll be busy on the blog all the meanwhile. To wit: we’ve got plenty of men’s style content for you to enjoy on this lovely weekend, from the best spring rain jacket to a full list of seasonal menswear essentials. Get your weekend going below — and maybe spin some tunes from Maggie Rogers while you’re at it! Cheers!
- Do white jeans feel like a style risk? Well, that’s understandable — and that being said, spring and summer presents a prime opportunity to try out a pair (seriously!). So, without further ado, read about my favorite pairs of white jeans over at The Manual. Cheers!
- It’s worth refreshing your style and your beer fridge in equal measure for spring. That being said, it’s awfully nice to crack open a beer that’s packed with flavor & hops, even as the weather warms up. On that note, there’s no better beer embodying this currently than the Lagunitas Hop Stoopid Ale — check out my rundown of this excellent beer for GearMoose.
- If you know me, you know I love — and frequently recommend — a stylish pair of men’s sneakers for spring. And for my money’s worth, it doesn’t get any better or more unique than the ZDA Handball Trainers, which I wrote about recently for GearMoose. Wear ’em with light was jeans and a white skin tee. Read and enjoy, folks!
That’s all from me for now — again, check back for tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week covering spring style essentials. Thanks for reading!
A rugged, refined pair of iconic Chelsea boots — perfect for Friday and beyond.
So, we’ve reached Friday. How are you stepping out in style? Potentially with the Tricker’s Stephen Chelsea Boots on, I should hope. There’s nothing like a stylish pair of Chelsea boots for spring, particularly ones made with wax-impregnated leather to fight off breezy, stormy weather — I can’t recommend these ones from Tricker’s enough. And with that being said, they’re going to set you up the right way in time for the weekend.What’s on your weekend agenda? In my neck of the woods, well, I won’t exactly be needing the Tricker’s Stephen Chelsea Boots any time soon, as it were — I’m capping off the last weekend of my family’s Turks and Caicos trip (as seen on my Instagram!) to celebrate my dad’s 60th birthday! It’s been a sun-filled, relaxing week on the beautiful beaches and in the lovely, bright blue water of this seriously great island. I’ll be returning to NYC on Sunday, but in the meantime, I’ll be focused on soaking up as much of the sun as possible. Again, you need two things to get your own weekend going the right way: The Tricker’s Stephen Chelsea Boots, and the below menswear news items from this week’s Friday Read. Let’s go to it!
- Want a jacket that blends heritage-quality style with spring-ready layering potential and unlimited wearability? That’d be the Todd Snyder x Golden Bear Bomber, as covered by yours truly at GearMoose! Cheers.
- There’s the right way to wear your Oxford shirt, then there’s perhaps the best way to wear your Oxford shirt. As it were, I covered a new way to wear this men’s style essential earlier this season on the blog — get the #OOTD right now.
- As we move into spring, there are going to be certain pieces you’re going to want to invest in to step up your game — the men’s style essentials that stand the test of time & trends. That being said, I wrote for Effortless Gent about seven of my favorite, must-have menswear picks, from beautiful, investment-level sneakers to a pair of the best men’s chinos to buy now. Put it this way: If you only had to buy one of these classic items in each critical category, well, my picks are the ones to buy.
Still on the hunt for one final, last thing to read (for now)? We’ve got you covered here on the blog. In fact, we’ve really got you covered — read on to find out about the best men’s style essentials for early spring. OK, that should do it. Cheers!
Get geared up for spring with these stylish Chelsea boots from Astorflex and Huckberry.
First off, my friends: Thanks for joining us for another edition of The Friday Read. If you’ve just about had it with winter, well, you’re not alone — I have, too. That’s why I’d recommend investing in some of the best spring boots — the Astorflex Bitflex Chelsea Boots as seen above. They’re a favorite of the blog (as seen in this post). And the even better news is, this new pair of Chelsea boots just got an upgrade, all thanks to the tough nubuck upper. They’re sure to become (quite possibly) your new favorite pair of boots, to make a long story short.
So, to business! Today, we’ve got lots of ground to cover — it’s time for a weekend trip of a different nature for yours truly! Well, nearly time. Tomorrow morning, the Hayhoe family is taking our traditional March family trip (celebrating my dad’s 60th this time!) to a far more exotic destination than I’ve traveled of late: The sandy beaches and crystal-clear water of Turks and Caicos! It’s a far cry from Dublin, but I couldn’t be more thrilled to ditch my winter style essentials — seriously — and take in some rays. Want to see how I transition from the winter to the warmth of Turks and Caicos? It’ll be a tough task, but head to my Instagram for more. Oh, and the rest of your Friday Read is below!
- For GearMoose, I wrote about an iconic jacket from an iconic brand that you need for spring — specifically, a rough-and-tumble Filson piece perfect for transitional style.
- If you ask me, I think it’s worth revisiting this post on the best early spring style essentials, from transitional outerwear to the best flannel shirt to comfortable bedding. Chilly, breezy weather is going to be with us for a while, so that’s certainly one way to tackle it — that’s all there is to it.
- Speaking of early spring style essentials, there’s one style of jacket I think you’re going to get a lot of usage out of for the coming season — the classic trucker jacket. On that note, I wrote about the best men’s trucker jackets for my friends at The Manual — give it a read!
That’s going to close up shop for me today — I’ve got some last-minute packing to do, and some sunshine to anticipate! If you still want one last item to read before you start the weekend, you’d do well to check out this piece on the best leather belt to buy now. Now meaning, well, right this instant. Let me know on Twitter if you pick it up. Thanks for reading!