A rugged winter shirt fit for all your winter weekend adventures.
Looking toward the weekend? Looking toward shopping some new winter style essentials? I know that’s a YES from me on both accounts. In fact, perhaps the rugged Topo Designs Wool Shirt is on your holiday wish list as seen above? It’s one of the best shirts for winter, apt for layering atop a rugged thermal shirt or heck, a cool concert tee. In fact, speaking of concert tees, I’m looking forward to perhaps picking up a new addition to my collection tonight — I’m heading out to Brooklyn Steel to see indie rockers San Fermin play my favorite venue in the city, with an opening-band assist from equally excellent Brooklyn indie rockers Wild Pink (the makers of one of my favorite albums last year!). When you add in the fact that newly opened brewery 18th Ward Brewing sits mere steps across the street from my favorite venue, well, I’d say that’s a recipe for a great start to the weekend, yes? Yes indeed! The rest of the weekend, I’ll be enjoying Prospect Park and a tasty Old Fashioned or two around the borough. I’ll also be sipping on some rich, delicious Driftaway Coffee — you might recall the brand from my Black Friday sales post, and if you want sustainable and ethical coffee delivered right to your door, there’s hardly a better brand to shop. Of course, it’s also prime holiday gifting season — with that in mind, I give you the best way to start your weekend: Another edition of The Friday Read. Enjoy, and cheers to December!
- Speaking of gift-giving right off the bat, I coverd 15 stylish gift ideas for men over at GearMoose, ensuring that you’ve got plenty of options — from outerwear to accessories — for the style-minded fella in your life (or yourself!).
- Let’s stick with GearMoose for a second, shall we? On that note, I wrote all about the best leather jackets for men, from brands like Filson and Taylor Stitch — if you haven’t experienced that first snowfall yet, then there’s hardly a more reliable layer than a tough leather jacket for pairing with your favorite henley and slim blue denim.
- Lastly, have we talked about a unique way to switch up your men’s shirting rotation? Well, I’m sure we have lately … but we haven’t talked about how an elbow patch shirt can upgrade your winter style — these shirts are fit to be worn on their own or atop a classic white T-shirt or a rugged henley in equal measure.
That’s going to wrap up today’s winter-centric, gift-centric start to the weekend — but wait, there’s more! If you’re still on the hunt for the best gifts for men to take care of the style-minded gentlemen on your list, you might want to check out my roundup of the best winter gear. Parkas, leather boots, tough shirting — it’s all taken care of when it comes to the top new winter style essentials, trust me. OK, that’s all for this weekend!
This jacket is seriously tough and rugged — perfect for a winter weekend.
Given that it’s a late November weekend, it’s understandable if you’ve got rugged winter style — and holiday gift shopping, for that matter — on the brain. Case in point: Perhaps the excellent Peregrine Bexley Jacket shown above is on your shopping list (or your holiday wish list). And if you weren’t ready for winter before, I’d wager that a rugged waxed jacket is going to help get you ready in a hurry. Again, Peregrine means business — so too, should your winter style. OK, let’s get to the rest of today’s Friday Read. First and foremost, I’m excited to close out a busy week in Brooklyn, which featured a show at the excellent Elsewhere venue in Bushwick by indie rockers Wild Nothing. Yes indeed, it’ll be high time for some much-needed rest and relaxation back home, including a late fall stroll through Prospect Park and an Old Fashioned or two at my favorite bar in Brooklyn. This week was exciting in other ways, too — the lineup was announced for The National Homecoming Festival, an incredible Cincy fest put on by (and celebrating!) my very favorite band … yes, of course, The National. I went to the first edition of the festival in April 2018, and for this go-round, I already have my tickets! Needless to say … I couldn’t be more thrilled to return to Ohio next year! Will I see you there? Let me know on Twitter. In the meantime, be sure to get your weekend started on the right foot with today’s Friday Read.
- In matters of style, first and foremost, one of the best men’s blazers can take your look from good to great, whether you pair it with your favorite henley or with a crisp Oxford shirt. And there’s something to be said for doing things a bit differently in that regard — like switching up the texture and fabric of your blazer. And on that note … I wrote about my favorite corduory blazers for The Manual, so you can dress for the season with ease.
- I mentioned above that we’d be telling you about the best men’s winter jackets for the season here, including one from the rugged gear purveyors at Filson. Well, ladies and gentlemen … that time has come. Specifically, I covered the excellent Filson Double Mackinaw Wool Jacket over at GearMoose, and you can rest assured that it’s ready to go anywhere this season (yes, even to Thanksgiving dinner!).
- Speaking of seasonal dressing — as in, dressing for Thanksgiving dinner — you might find this recent #OOTD covering what to wear on a chily fall day comes in mighty handy as you prep for the rest of November and December.
- As I mentioned above, it’s been a very, very exciting week in my neck of the woods, as The National Homecoming, the second iteration of the excellent festival put on by my favorite band, returns next May. Read about this terrific festival here.
OK, before you go away for the weekend … stick around with my guide to the best new menswear for fall and winter, why don’t you? I think you’ll find precisely what you’re looking for when it comes to winter style essentials, including a tough shirt jacket, some standout whiskey for fall and winter, and rugged leather boots aplenty. That’s where your weekend should start — where will it take you? Adventure in style & thanks for reading!
If you didn’t feel in the holiday spirit yet, well, step right this way with these rugged Rancourt boots.
Although I’ll be in Brooklyn this weekend (likely wearing a pair of rugged leather boots very similar to the excellent Rancourt & Co. leather boots shown above!), my mind is back on my home state of Michigan, and in particular, my alma mater, Michigan State University. I was just in East Lansing last weekend for a terrific time with old college friends, filled with beers at HopCat (a staple of my senior year) and Crunchy’s, along with some Michigan State football. It’s of course with football in mind that I’ll be enjoying craft beer back in my new home borough this weekend — it’s Michigan vs. Michigan State on Saturday, after all! It’s a rivalry that meant a lot to me as a student, and means even more now that I’m farther away from campus. I’ll be finding a sports bar in Brooklyn to hunker down for the game, likely followed by a round of (hopefully!) celebratory beers at the always-excellent Threes Brewing. If your plans involve college football as well, I wish you nothing but luck! And if they involve more frenzied pursuits — such as starting your holiday shopping early — then I’d suggest you A) Check out the below Friday Read and B) Check out the never-not-outstanding Huckberry 2019 Gift Guide, packed with gear like the above Rancourt & Co. leather boots, plus plenty of stylish stocking stuffers. In the meantime, the below reading and gear picks ought to get you started — agreed?
- Let’s get this weekend started accordingly the right way, yes? I’m talking, of course, about one of the best new beers to try now, covered by yours truly at GearMoose. That beer would be the rich, utterly satisfying Perrin Brewing S’more Stout, a fittingly inspired beer for cold Michigan (and New York) winters. I can’t wait to get my hands on some when I’m back in the Mitten State.
- Speaking of my home state of Michigan — as has been on my mind this week — it only makes sense that Shinola would come up in conversation here. In fact, over at GearMoose once more, I covered the Shinola Bronze Monster, a durable, tough-as-heck timepiece with plenty of style points built right in. Did I mention it draws design inspiration from Detroit’s Prohibition smugglers? Yes, it’s got plenty going for it, too. Wear it with your favorite henley and tough chore pants on a chilly winter weekend.
- OK, let’s keep it rolling when it comes to rugged weekend gear and perhaps more importantly, rugged winter boots. I covered the Danner Pub Garden Boots here on the blog just last week, and if you missed that feature, now’s your chance to catch up. They’re fit for the trail, the town, and indeed, the pub, easily. They’ll also wear particularly well with, say, a classic Barbour jacket and rugged work pants.
OK, those are all the style quick hits and men’s style news updates I’ve got for you this week. If you’re still searching for the best gifts for everyone on your list (and it never hurts to start as early as possible!), well, then head to my roundup of some of the best gear for November. From flannel shirts to chukka boots to the best whiskey glasses for the spirits lover, that post has something for everyone (if I do say so myself). OK, it’s time to get ready for some football. Cheers!
Essential, rugged moc toe leather boots for plenty of occasions.
Let’s step into Friday the right way — with the lowdown on some of the best men’s leather boots for fall. More specifically, the exceptionally rugged and tough Quoddy Bowhunter Boots, some of the toughest and most stylish boots to wear with olive chinos (as shown above), light wash denim (yes, for fall!) or your favorite corduroy pants as we roll into another fall weekend. They’re the kind of stylish leather boots I’ll be wearing this weekend, in fact. On that note: It’s tough to believe it’s November, and even more difficult to believe … it’s been about three years since I visited my alma mater, Michigan State University in East Lansing! The time’s flown since I’ve been back, and together with some former student newspaper friends from The State News, I’ve decided it’s high time I ventured back to the Midwest for a Spartan football game, some tasty beers at HopCat, and a crucial brunch at Beggar’s Banquet — all favorite pursuits during my college days! I have a special place in my heart for the lovely MSU campus & the friendships and memories I made along the way — it’ll be wonderful to return home! There will of course be tailgating and cold beer aplenty throughout the weekend once I arrive on an early-morning flight into Detroit, and I’m also seriously looking forward to taking in some classic Michigan fall weather as my beloved Michigan State Spartans play Illinois. Naturally, I’ll be wearing some of my favorite fall style essentials along the way — what about your weekend plans? Let me know on Twitter, be sure to check out tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week, and kick off your weekend nice and early with today’s Friday Read. Go Green!
- If you follow my writing work at The Manual, perhaps you’re familiar with the Everlane Uniform Collection, a well-curated set of daily men’s style essentials made to be worn, well, on the daily and also mixed-and-matched at will. And if not? I wrote about the Everlane Uniform Collection for the site, so you can get up to speed in a hurry.
- Let’s shift to more handy and helpful everyday carry gear. It can be relaxing, meditative and cathartic to stroll around your favorite park (mine happens to be Prospect Park) with your favorite tunes on repeat (The Walkmen, anyone?) — add a new favorite copper flask into that equation, and you’ve got the recipe for a lovely fall afternoon. To wit: Bring the Whiskey Leatherworks Copper Flask to your next camping trip, your next day hike, or your next bonfire — but first, read my latest briefing for GearMoose.
- Wondering about the best jacket for fall and winter, one that you can wear on the aforementioned park stroll or camping trip? We’re going to turn back toward GearMoose and specifically, the pleasingly rugged Filson Cover Cloth Aberdeen Jacket, the sort of tough jacket to wear with ease alongside your favorite henley and classic camp pants. Again, just add in the Whiskey Leatherworks Copper Flask and call it good, OK? Bingo!
So, that’s the end of today’s brief-yet-hopefully enlightening Friday Read. Because weekend fun is never done, though, I’m going to leave you with my recommendation for perhaps the best fall jacket, one you can wear with ease atop your favorite Oxford shirt alongside slim faded denim. It’s a surefire combo for all your top casual fall pursuits, from apple orchard visits to brewery tours & beyond. Cheers to the weekend, my friends!
The perfect boots (from Huckberry’s fall catalog!) to break in all season — courtesy of Helm Boots, of course.
This assuredly won’t be the last you see of the Helm Boots Hollis Boots as shown above — in fact, they’re just the latest and greatest pair of must-buy boots for fall and winter, and they’re being served up here via the Huckberry Fall Catalog (more on all of that in just a second). The long and short of it is that you should expect nothing less than the best when it comes to your cold-weather gear — the sort of gear that works for fall and winter weekends aplenty. November is a big month on the style front, a time to stretch your legs in some new denim, break in some of the best new leather boots, and generally enjoy the approaching holiday season (we’re past Halloween, after all!). Coming off of a long weekend trip to Boston (as seen on my Instagram), I’m looking forward to once again enjoying a classic Brooklyn fall weekend — for me, that means strolls through Prospect Park and Marine Park in the borough, plus a visit to the recently opened Evil Twin Brewery in Queens! Evil Twin has been a revered and nearly mysterious gypsy brewer (without a permanent brewing space) for some time in the city now, and it’s only fitting that this newly opened location appears to have been worth the wait. To put it lightly: I’m wildly excitedd to visit! And if it reflects as well on the brewery’s innovative and richly crafted beer as it should (Molotov Cocktail, anyone??), I’d say it’ll be a hallowed new addition to the Brooklyn craft beer scene. The options for great beer abound in the city, as does the opportunity to enjoy prime fall weather. What are your weekend plans? Hopefully, your weekend involves great food, delicious craft beer, strong coffee and perhaps some winning football. Connect with me on Twitter, and check out the below Friday reads in the meantime. Let’s do this!
- As I mentioned above, Huckberry just launched the new Huckberry Fall Catalog, and it’s packed to the gills with stylish shirting, tough outerwear, rugged leather boots and an all-around sense of adventure that only Huckberry can truly bring to the table. The guys and gals at Huckberry always know how to stock and sell gear that goes and goes when it comes to fall and winter pursuits — if you’re not at least taking a quick spin through the catalog, you’re missing out on a bevy of men’s style essentials (take it from me).
- If it hasn’t started to hit you yet, it will soon enough — that is, the chilly weather of late fall (and eventually, winter!). Before it gets too late, grab one of the best men’s parkas via my latest feature for The Manual, will ya? There are picks at nearly every price point and style, from an above-the-waist hooded parka from Howler Brothers to a beastly, military-inspired Nobis parka. OK, time to get shopping.
- So, you know what you’re going to wear to bundle up on a fall or winter weekend — what are you sipping on? How about some new Elijah Craig rye whiskey, yes? It’ll make for a simple and lovely pour on the rocks or in an Old Fashioned — and you can get the full rundown via my latest for GearMoose.
- Let’s keep things rolling when it comes to the best men’s jackets for fall and winter, alright? I had the chance to cover the excellent, perfectly rugged Relwen Channel Stretch Boarder, a tough, dependable jacket fit for travel and plenty of exploration through the great outdoors (yes, even in nasty weather). Head over to GearMoose to check it out.
Before the weekend hits, make sure you’re geared up accordingly — that is to say, make sure you’ve got access to plenty of the best style essentials for fall and winter (especially now that it’s *gasp* November!). I think you’ll find the list I’ve linked there, from high-top sneaker boots to an iconic leather jacket, you’ve got everything you need for a fall and winter weekend. OK, that’s all I’ve got for you today. Cheers to a fall weekend!
It’s high time you laced up some of fall’s best boots for a great weekend.
It’s sometimes shocking how on-the-nose a product title can be when looking at the best fall gear for men — for example, the Red Wing Heritage Weekender Chukka, as shown above, should be on your feet for each and every fall weekend adventure you can dream up. They’re simply some of the best leather chukka boots you can get for your hard-earned cash, and if I was you, I’d make a point to snap them right up. That being said, they’re the kind of boots I’d pick up for a fall adventure of my own … kind of like the one I’m on as we speak! We’re coming to you from the lovely, fall-friendly confines of Boston, where I trekked last afternoon on a mid-fall getaway … complete with a rock show by my heroes, The National! I’ve been able to make it a point and a priority to crisscross the country (and the globe!) to see them on an incredible tour behind their latest album, “I Am Easy To Find” — these shows have been nothing short of lifechanging, from Nashville to Montreal across the pond to Madrid (and back to Brooklyn’s Prospect Park, of course). Last night’s show at Boston University’s Agganis Arena was nothing short of incredible either, including a banner run of cuts off of “I Am Easy To Find” — including fan favorite “Rylan” — and recent classics like “The System Only Dreams In Total Darkness.” At this point, I’d be hard-pressed to pass up any opportunity to see this world-beating band, especially if it only means a relatively quick train ride up the East Coast!
That being said, I’ve got plenty more on my Boston agenda as I set out to explore from the ecletic, modern FOUND Boston Common Hotel. I already had the chance to enjoy a delicious Old Fashoned pre-show at the seriously cool Deep Ellum near the Boston University campus, and my travels today will take me out on foot to spots like Trillium Brewing, fueled up by coffee from The Thinking Cup. I’ll also be checking out the menswear on tap at SAULT New England, naturally. Before I head back tomorrow, do you have any must-see spots I should hit? Let me know on Twitter! And in the meantime, let’s carry on with today’s roundup of essential weekly menswear news from yours truly.
- I’m a big proponent of the small details that make a big difference in terms of how you compose and compile your #OOTD — take everyday carry essentials, for instance. On that note, I rounded up a few favorites that’ll keep your gear sharp and in check on the daily; as luck would have it, you can check out that roundup at GearMoose.
- The right gear for fall and winter isn’t too hard to find if you know precisely where to look — that is to say, for my money’s worth, you should be looking toward the new Madewell Men’s fall collection. From stylish flannel shirts to durable accessories, all your bases are covered — you can get the full scoop over at The Manual, naturally.
- We mentioned Red Wing Heritage up at the start of this post, and with good reason — they’re making some of the best men’s boots you can find (to say the very least). It’s on that note that I’m directing you toward my roundup of the best new men’s gear for October and November, led off by … yes, you guessed it … a pair of rugged Red Wing Heritage boots! Get to shopping, and then enjoy breaking those boots in all season long.
OK, so that’s all I’ve got for you today. OK, well, not quite. Because a guy can never have too many pairs of stylish leather boots, I’m going to direct you back toward my post on the best chukka boots to buy for fall (a word to the wise: They’re coming at you courtesy of Huckberry and Rhodes Footwear). They’re so essential, so durable, so tough and yet versatile … they’ll become your new favorite pair of chukka boots, and I can nearly guarantee it. Now, if you’ll excuse me … I’ve got some Boston exploration to take care of! Enjoy your weekend, and thanks for reading.
Start your weekend the right way — with this rugged Relwen blazer, of course.
Does it seem right to be on the verge of another fall weekend? Where has the time gone?? The season is flying by, and I hope you’re well and properly geared up with the right fall style essentials — kind of like the excellent, perfectly rugged and highly versatile Relwen Sweater Trap Blazer as shown above. It’s the perfect jacket for fall travel and to wear to the office … or evening drinks … or brunch … all at once. It’s the kind of rugged fall jacket I look forward to wearing on Brooklyn weekends like this one, in fact. Speaking of Brooklyn weekends, to me, it doesn’t get much better than crisp fall weather, delicious craft beer, and high-energy indie rock music. All of those things are helpfully coming together in one place during the beer and music-themed OctFest, hosted by Pitchfork and one of my favorite craft beer outlets, October! It’s packed with powerful headliners, including Parquet Courts, and I’m also excited to taste out delicious craft beer in the process (and in the meantime, I’ll be enjoying some beer in my humble abode from the Trail Keg Half-Gallon Growler, too). You can also be sure I’ll be wearing some of my favorite fall gear — on that front, you can follow along with all of the fun via my Instagram to see how I’m taking on the weekend. For now, today’s Friday Read is below — cheers!
- Let’s get things started off right for the weekend — and given that it’s October, you need a new favorite henley in your rotation. The good news? I covered the best men’s henleys over at The Manual, with appearances from Taylor Stitch & Flint and Tinder, to boot. Layer accordingly.
- We talked above about essential fall layers — and on that note, I wrote all about one of the best jackets for fall over at GearMoose. The jacket in question? The Flint and Tinder Quilted Waxed Field Jacket, as sold by our pals at Huckberry. There’s nothing better to wear with slim indigo denim and rugged leather boots, this is true.
- As crucial as it is to outfit yourself with the best new fall gear, there’s something to be said for stocking your fridge with some of the best beer for fall — truly. While I’ve long been a fan of craft beer in and around Brooklyn, I surely wouldn’t mind trying the new Budweiser x Jim Beam Reserve Black Lager, and to that end, I covered it for GearMoose. Bottoms up!
Last but not least, I’ll leave you with one more recommended piece of men’s style reading for the weekend. Specifically, I’ve done my best to round up all of my favorite gear for fall, from shirt jackets to watches to new leather boots — follow along with that list, and you’ll be all set for the season. Alright, now let’s get ready for the weekend. Cheers!