It’s everyone’s absolute favorite day of the week — Friday — and time for everyone’s absolute favorite blog feature, The Friday Read. We’ve been quite busy these past few weeks, telling you all about the best hiking boots to buy now, plus the best men’s gear to close out winter; it’s hard work to keep the lights on (figuratively speaking, at least). What’s on your radar in terms of gear purchases for these next few weeks of cold weather? There’s at least some light at the end of the tunnel — before you know it, I’m sure we’ll be talking about your spring style wish list and all the gear you can’t wait to break out for the weeks and months ahead. For now though, we’ve got some work to do. I’m back in Brooklyn this weekend after a winter trip to Grand Rapids, which was filled with cold beer, winter style essentials and great times with my family and friends. It’s not too often that I get to take those types of trips, so I certainly welcomed it. If you didn’t catch all the action on my Instagram, I’d suggest you check it all out (and maybe give me a follow — nudge, nudge). In the meantime, we’ve done the easy work of starting the weekend for you — let’s talk a bit of music, plus some highly durable (and coveted) outerwear. Cheers to the weekend!
- One look at the photos here is all you need to know — the Engineered Garments x Barbour collaboration truly is something special, blending the unique touch that both brands have for taking quality heritage staples and mashing them up just ever so slightly. The one catch is that pieces from the collaboration don’t drop until fall 2018 — hey, a guy can dream until then, right?
- If you follow The Style Guide regularly, you’re well aware of my passion for music (along with #menswear). That passion is perhaps no better exemplified than by the well-tailored members of my favorite band, The National! They sure do come up on this blog a lot, and with good reason. The indie rock group — formed in Brooklyn, but from Cincinnati, is curating its own festival back in Ohio this spring featuring fellow indie luminaries like Future Islands, Alvvays, Feist and Father John Misty. Oh, and another thing! They’ll be playing their iconic 2007 album, “Boxer,” in full that weekend. The news dropped this past week, and you can learn more at the link above. And another thing — I positively can’t wait to be there in April!
- This next bit has been in the news these past few weeks — namely, the aftershocks from L.L. Bean ending its much-loved (and much over-used) lifetime return policy. Now, Esquire.com reports someone is suing L.L. Bean for ending its return policy. You can’t make this stuff up, folks.
- Last but certainly not least — when is a gym bag … not just a gym bag? When it’s the Hard Graft Gym Bag, that’s when. I took a look at the stellar specs and standout style behind this piece recently for GearMoose.
That’s going to wrap things up for me today — how about you? Enjoy the weekend, and follow along with the rest of my adventures via Instagram, if you so choose!
Thanks for reading,
If you can believe it, we had to call an audible when it came to last week’s Friday Read given the hectic pace and scheduling of New York Fashion Week: Men’s. (Runway shows! Collection previews! Afterparties!). But I’m pleased to report that we’re back this week, and better than ever — well, hopefully. Who else is looking forward to the weekend? Was our guide to what to wear on Valentine’s Day this week helpful? You can be sure we’ll have more #OOTD content — and tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week — on the way very soon. On that note, did you catch last week’s Style Pick of the Week? The Taylor Stitch Winslow Jacket is about as good as it gets when it comes to adventure-ready weekend style. And speaking of weekend adventures… this weekend is an exciting, busy one as well. I’m hitting the road back to Grand Rapids to see childhood friends, enjoy Beer City U.S.A (!) and visit my family (including four nieces and nephews!). It’s going to be a jam-packed, super enjoyable weekend, dovetailing off my trip last February to Grand Rapids (and quickly becoming a tradition for me?). At any rate, you can catch all the action live on Instagram and Instagram Stories (of course). In the meantime, enjoy the weekend — cheers!
- So, the iconic, much-discussed and much-debated seminal indie album “In the Aeroplane Over the Sea” by Neutral Milk Hotel turned 20 last week; can ya believe it? It might have been just a bit before my time, but it’s an album worth studying & appreciating — as Pitchfork noted in its review upon its reissue some years ago … a perfect 10! What’s your take?
- The Winter Olympics are here — in the spirit of keeping you in the loop on the festivities, our pals at Esquire.com published the lazy person’s guide to the Winter Olympics; good enough, right?
- Perhaps you’ve seen this news already, but last week, L.L. Bean announced it was changing its return policy, a famously accommodating one at that; will you be taking more care of your Bean Boots from now on?
- Lastly, let’s talk what you’re drinking this weekend — the Samuel Adams Sam ’76 brew is my latest write-up over at GearMoose, and you might just want to track it down and raise a glass this weekend. Who’s with me?
Hopefully, the above features helped you start your weekend the right way — see you for tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week!
We’ve powered through the week and we’re staring down the weekend — that’s a heck of a good feeling, right? We kept busy at The Style Guide this week, serving you up an #OOTD that covers how to wear a crewneck sweater this winter (in a way that even works at the office, if you can believe it!). We also went behind the scenes on my latest men’s style road trip, this time to Florida for a birthday weekend at Disney World — a truly great time was had by all, to say the least! We stopped at countries “around the world” at Epcot, we checked out the wonders of Animal Kingdom and we even spent a jam-packed day at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter — not bad at all, right? I’m now looking forward to a laidback weekend, likely featuring some craft beers at Gold Star Beer Counter, plus some time spent in Prospect Park (and a likely trip to my favorite coffee-and-menswear spot in the city, Upstate Stock). Before we get to that, we’re rounding a day in the office — and helping you do the same — with some choice links for your perusal (and potential listening pleasure). Sound like a plan? Without further ado, let’s get this going.
- Esquire.com will kick off this edition of the Friday Read for us, namely the lauded (if struggling) retailer’s take on new dress shirts — stock up, maybe? Or maybe not?
- On a music-related note, this past week was a pretty big one for my favorite band, Ohio-born indie rockers The National — these well-dressed gentlemen took home the Grammy for Best Alternative Album! “Sleep Well Beast” was one of my favorite albums of this past year, and I think it’s a well-deserved accolade. Read more with the band’s Aaron Dessner at the link above.
- I absolutely love me a great pair of shoes — especially retro-inspired high-tops like the Converse Chuck 70 Wordmark, which I wrote about for GearMoose. Step into ’em, lace up and get ready to step out in style!
- I don’t know about you, but I found this Esquire.com piece on WeWork — the global “shared-space nerve center,” as Esquire says — to be quite fascinating. What say you?
That’s going to close out this week’s Friday Read — until the next one (and until tomorrow’s Style Pick — enjoy your weekend!)
It’s time to grab your favorite brew, kick back and throw on your favorite band — it’s Friday, after all. And of course, that means the Friday Read is here to welcome you back into the weekend with open arms. I’m certainly glad the week is done — namely, that means this dispatch is coming to you from sunny Florida, where I’ve jetted south to spend the next few days with my family at Walt Disney World for a birthday weekend! On the docket? Well, other than warm-weather #menswear aplenty, we’ve got plans to visit Hollywood Studios and Magic Kingdom, and Saturday is the day where I’ll be taking on the fun (yet infamous?) challenge of imbibing at every single “country” around the world at Disney’s Epcot. It won’t get too out of control, I presume. Either way, I’m planning on recapping it all on the blog here on Monday, and you can follow along in real time on Instagram, too. Let me know what’s on your plate this weekend via the comments or The Style Guide Facebook page. Let’s get to it!
- Esquire.com can always be counted on for affordble, easy-to-wear style that comes through in the clutch. That’s the case with its new and ongoing series “The Endorsement,” which breaks down one stellar item and brand in a particular category — in this case, we’re talking high-end sneakers to buy now. Not bad, ehh?
- Have you dealt with your own version of the polar vortex yet? If not — or even if you just want to stock up on #menswear for the next one — these are my standout picks for what to wear for the polar vortex, via The Manual. Enjoy and stay warm!
- Perhaps you’ve seen this by now, but one of everyone’s favorite action heroes, Tom Hardy, apparently dropped a mixtape back in 1999 that, well, might be worth listening to? For what it’s worth, I don’t think “dropped a mixtape” has ever been taped here on the pages of The Style Guide. Onward!
- The search for the right winter jacket can be taxing and frustrating, so I’d hope that this site’s ongoing See Now, Buy Now series can lend a little relief. On that note, the Tom Beckbe Tensaw Jacket might just be a perfectly durable, perfectly tough and perfectly stylish coat to buy this very instant. Start the weekend right, yeah?
That’ll close out today’s Friday Read. Enjoy the weekend!
We’re rather quickly flying through January — tough to believe, right? This month has been packed with some stellar highlights in NYC and beyond, chief among them a weekend Philly trip to see The Killers. Hopefully, your year is off to just as action-packed of a start — what are your men’s style resolutions, and are you sticking to ’em so far? Feel free to let me know on Twitter. Hopefully, some of the advice on this blog has been helpful, including a new way to wear classic denim, shopping picks for stylish long-sleeve T-shirts and my latest weekly pick for a new flannel shirt to buy now. It’s the time of the season to upgrade your wardrobe, at least just a bit, and taking a good look at classic staples reimagined is as good a place to start as any. In the meantime, we’ll talk a bit about the world outside of menswear — including (gasp) a bit of music and a bit of T.V. time in today’s edition of The Friday Read. Read on, kick back and enjoy the weekend!
- Did you catch last week’s Style Pick? It’s got you covered when it comes time to pick up a stylish flannel shirt — specifically, Mizzen+Main definitely delivers the goods.
- On a music-related note, The Naked and Famous, one of my favorite bands, are back out on the scene again with new, stripped-down versions of some of their biggest hits, including the anthemic “Girls Like You.” Plug in now — what do you think?
- Admittedly, I don’t watch as much as TV as I should in terms of what’s new and now — but Quartz actually argues that there might be TOO much TV out there, by the numbers at least. Read up and let me know your thoughts!
- The new year — which is rapidly flying by — is all about getting into the spirit of change in matters of both style and lifestyle. With that being said, if you’ve resolved to hit the gym more, you still should keep your looks in mind. On that note, I rounded up the best men’s gym shorts over at GearMoose — go out there and get that PR now.
It’s time to call it a day (or at least, time to turn my attention to other pursuits before the weekend hits). Enjoy yours, come back for the Style Pick of the Week tomorrow and cheers!
Just like that, it’s the very first Friday Read of 2018! It’s tough to believe that we’ve knocked out a proper week in January — how are you holding up? Earlier this week, we talked men’s style resolutions — we also continued our #OOTD series and got ya ready to start the new year in style with another edition of The List (covering the best men’s gear to buy for 2018). If that doesn’t get you fired up to start the new year right, I’m not sure what will. At any rate, it’s been a pretty busy week kicking off my day job in fashion PR, and I’ve also started to churn out some more #menswear entries for GearMoose — you can expect updates on those pieces in the coming weeks & months ahead! And most importantly, I’m looking forward to getting my apartment updated with a few key home goods that Santa gave me this Christmas … including, crucially, a wooden shoe rack that’ll hopefully give me much more space in my humble Brooklyn abode. After that, I intend to get out and explore a bit of Brooklyn (likely while enjoying a few tasty treats along the way). What are your weekend plans? Feel free to connect with me on Twitter any time — let’s get to the rest of today’s post!
- The holidays are over and we’re into the new year, but I like to keep that same holiday spirit and energy extended into the new year. One way to do that? Burning a nice scented candle — seriously. GQ.com offers up picks for the best candles for your space, all with a bit of cold weather-friendly vibes:
- Ever on the cutting edge of stylish, dependable — and sometimes ridiculous — footwear, Esquire.com serves up this list of the best sneakers of the past year, some of which you’d do well to research and buy now … hopefully at slightly lower 2018 prices? Good luck out there.
- Holiday travel season might have just ended, but I still think you should seriously consider picking up the Taylor Stitch Travel Pants. Think of the remarkable Travel Pants like an upgraded sweatpant, with a fit that darn near mirrors that of your favorite chinos. Read my latest on this stellar launch for GearMoose!
My friends, that’s all the quick reads we’ve got today. Enjoy your weekend, check back for tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week
and thanks for reading!
Does it seem at all possible that we’ve come to the very last Friday Read of 2017?? It’s pretty wild, if you ask me. From week to week, time has just flown by around here, particularly with a busy slate of fall and winter travel for yours truly. From a September trip to Portland to an early fall excursion to Nashville and a December concert weekend in Toronto, I feel very blessed and fortunate to be able to pursue my passions for menswear and music! And that doesn’t even begin to cover other highlights this year, from NYC’s Panorama music festival to Governors Ball 2017 — that’s just a few highlights on the music front! I also traveled to Florida for everything from Memorial Day weekend to Thanksgiving and Christmas, making some great memories along the way. And my other travels included an upstate weekend in Beacon, along with a trip to Boston to see my favorite band — it’s been a heck of a busy year, that much is for sure!
Elsewhere, I’m really thankful for the continued opportunity to build this blog, and whether it’s your first time perusing these pages or you’re a repeat visitor, well … a big thanks for reading! In the new year, there’s plenty more in store in the way of useful and (hopefully) helpful #menswear content, from continuing this site’s #OOTD series to more entries in The List, covering the best men’s gear to buy for the year ahead. If you’ve got suggestions for content, brands or pieces you’d like to see, don’t hesitate to chime in via The Style Guide Facebook page! After all, style is an ongoing, evolving journey — I’ve realized that much each time I sit down to pen a new post! It’s been a busy, fun and at times, exhausting ride this year. And that being said, there’s lots more where that came from! For now, check out a few choice reads below, and thanks for reading!
- Best Made will be transitioning their limited-time Gift Tent — located at 232 Elizabeth Street here in NYC — to a Surplus Sale running from January 5-14, with items up to 60 percent off. The Gift Tent features a ton of great menswear and hoome goods, including Sleepy Jones blankets and Best Made blades, axes and apparel. Think of it like rugged-yet-refined gear that goes the distance and looks great doing it. Did I mention you can get those pieces up to 60 percent off? Yes and yes.
- Always on top of things like these, Gear Patrol just updated its list of 20 menswear staples that get better as they age — I’m in total agreement with all of the picks on this list, from rugged leather boots to classic blue denim. I think you should be, too.
- Last but not least, ’tis the season … to bundle up in style. With that in mind, I’d urge you to check out my roundup of the best men’s accessories for winter for this site — it can’t help but come in handy during the weeks and months ahead!
Alright, my friends — that’s all we’ve got today! Cheers!
Folks, can you believe we’re just three days away from Christmas? Just one weekend? I hope you’re wrapping up your work for the week, or the year, and getting ready to hit the road for some holiday fun. Be sure to check out my men’s holiday gift guide for any very last-minute gift-giving needs, and rest assured that our women’s holiday gift guide has you covered with picks for plenty of the women in your life. As for me, I’m doing my best to wrap up my work — #menswear-related and otherwise — as I hit the road today to lovely, sunny Florida for a few days with my family! I celebrated Christmas in Florida last year, and I can’t wait for this year’s festivities — it’s a welcome change of pace from the NYC cold. We’ll have our traditional Christmas Eve movie and dinner, and I’m certainly looking forward to catching some rays and kicking back with a Corona. If you’re so inclined, you can check out my adventures on Instagram — and you can of course expect a full travel style post here on the site come next week. Oh, and lastly … be sure to dress in casual-yet-comfortable holiday travel style yourself this year, yeah? Before we log off totally, know that we’ll have an exceptional Style Pick of the Week incoming tomorrow. For now, treat yourself to The Friday Read — enjoy the weekend, happy holidays and Merry Christmas!
- It’s high time we started bundling up against the cold winter weather, and on that note, my latest roundup for The Manual focuses on the best sweaters to buy this season. Can’t go wrong there, can you?
- Looking for a cool stocking stuffer that’s a neat gift for the woman who loves the outdoors (or just appreciates a cool hat)? The Six-Panel Structured Canvas Indigo Hat from Raleigh Denim is part of the brand’s new line of unisex accessories, featuring neat craftsmanship and quality. Is it on your shopping list?
- In search of a quick grooming upgrade before the holidays? Might I point you toward EVENPRIME? This simple, minimal men’s grooming line takes a uniquely Korean approach to skincare, focused on quality ingredients, clean packaging and helpful, easy-to-use products. The brand’s Core Set is pared down to two, well, core essentials, a cleanser and a moisturizer that I think you’re going to like. I’ve been trying out the brand and enjoying it immensely for the refreshing hydration of the Moisturizer in particular — I think you’ll feel the same way!
Once again, I hope you enjoy the holidays with family and friends! Thanks for reading!
My friends and Style Guide readers — greetings from the North! Today’s post is coming to you live from the chilly city of Toronto, if you can believe it. That’s where I’m spending the weekend exploring, checking out excellent #menswear & craft beer, and most importantly … seeing another lifechanging live show by my very favorite band, The National! I recently traveled to Boston to see this stellar band as part of their tour for “Sleep Well Beast,” one of the year’s best albums (and a personal favorite). In addition to catching their October show in NYC, I also had the chance to see them play two stellar shows at the rustic, unique Basilica Hudson in July — it’s an old glue factory that the band turned into a “concert-in-the-round” setting for two fabulous nights. And the tour rolls on here this weekend at the Sony Centre!
I couldn’t be more excited to be here, and I’ve got lots planned. From visiting the famed Graffiti Alley and Kensington Market to checking out Otto’s Bierhalle and hitting up the famed Bellwoods Brewery, there’s plenty that I want to see. If you have any suggestions, please feel free to send me a note on Twitter! Of course, it goes without saying that’ll be imbibing at The Lockhart, a seriously cool cocktail bar that pays homage to my favorite book series, Harry Potter — how cool! And I’ll be doing it all from an AirBNB that doubles as a cool barbershop studio — I’d suggest you hop over to my Instagram to follow along with my IG Stories! In the meantime, we’ve got a full slate of holiday style tips on lock for you here, from what to wear to a holiday party to our annual holiday gift guide for men and of course, a handy holiday gift guide for women. I hope it’s helpful this season. So, shall we get to this week’s men’s style news? I think we should. Check back here on Monday for another travel style recap, and stay tuned for tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week. Cheers!
- Can’t get enough Frank and Oak? Neither can I. The brand has been a consistent favorite over the years for its monthly collection launches, which make shopping simple, easy and affordable. They’re also quite the socially aware brand, as evidenced by the release of its new And Collection, a unisex capsule that recognizes “the distinctions and differences between human beings while supporting Canada’s longstanding commitment to inclusion, equality and diversity on a global level.” Good stuff, yes? In addition to collaborating with Montreal-based organization Petites-Mains to directly support immigrant women’s integration into the job market, Frank and Oak also partnered with Equitas, recognized for supporting equality and human rights, by donating $5 to the foundation for each sale from the collection. The full collection includes an And-printed white t-shirt (available for under $30), as well as And-embroidered fleece sweaters in black and grey. Easy to wear for casual weekend style, yes?
- Alright, we’re well into prime holiday shopping season. I know you’re working your way through your own holiday wish list, but just in case you’re buying for the beer lover in your life, I’d suggest you check out this great GearMoose guide on what to buy for the beer drinker. Bingo!
- We talked about this last week, but it’s worth repeating for all you shoppers out there. Nisolo, makers of stellar styles like the Nisolo Andres Boots, has teamed up with four other stellar brands on both a men’s holiday gift bundle and a women’s holiday gift bundle. Now through December 24th, once again, you can spend $35 to get $250 in the way of shopping credit at “bundle” brands. As I mentioned last week, that’d be five brands and five gift cards good for $50 at each brand, including the rugged purveyors at United By Blue, the tailoring masters at Ledbury and stylish men’s boots from Nisolo. Seriously, how can you not love the men’s gift bundle? Right? Right?? Through December 24th, the men’s holiday gift bundle and the women’s holiday gift bundle are up for grabs.
So, that brings us to the end of this week’s Friday Read. Have a great weekend, and thanks for reading!