Cheers to the weekend — and the best Old Fashioned on the market. Image courtesy of Esquire.
We’re here on the cusp of another weekend, my friends — have an Old Fashioned, you deserve it. It’s been a whirlwind month of February for me, seeing as I woke up on February 1st in Vancouver on a weekend jaunt to see one of my favorite bands, Canadian rock stars Arkells, and then spent the rest of my time checking out a neat coastal city (I strongly recommend you hit up Brassneck Brewery and the trendy-but-not-too-trendy beer & cocktail emporium Six Acres). In short, the show & the trip were extraordinary — but you know that if you follow me on Instagram. Vancouver was lovely & extremely walkable, with sunny, breezy weather, great beer, and some tasty Japanese curry fries. The Granville Island Public Market is another eclectic location worth a visit if ever you get out West, too.
What’s on tap next, then? Why, another trip, of course! Back in October, as I started planning out my 2019, I looked “across the pond” and found a neat 2-for-1 opportunity of sorts — the chance to visit iconic, historic Dublin, Ireland, and the chance to see a stellar show by another one of my favorite groups, Scottish synth pop heroes CHVRCHES! In fact, as you read this, I’m en route to Dublin (with a stop at the Guinness Storehouse planned later today). From the Guinness Storehouse, it’ll be off to explore the city and head to the Olympia Theatre to see CHVRCHES play a Friday night show sure to be packed with hits off three much-loved albums, including 2013 classics “The Mother We Share” and “Recover.” From there, I’m looking forward to exploring as much of the city on foot as possible (with my Huckberry Duck Boots in tow, naturally). What’s on your weekend to-do list? Wait, I know the answer: Kicking it off with today’s edition of The Friday Read, and listening to some CHVRCHES. Problem solved!
- Aside from a rich, flavorful IPA, I might put an Old Fashioned second on my list of go-to cocktails for a chilly winter night (the photo at the top really says it all, honestly). On that note, the ever-refined team at Esquire offers up a recipe for what just might be the best Old Fashioned to drink now. It’s super simple, it accentuates the whiskey (I like Michter’s at the moment), and it’s a nice way to unwind after a long day.
- On the hunt for a unique collaboration that’s designed to work at the beach and on the streets? The Hurley x Carhartt collaboration, recently launched, is for you. It blends the spirit of workwear with the adventure-ready mindset of the beach through stylish hoodies, heavyweight tees & more.. And the even better news? I recently wrote about the partnership for The Manual! Check it out above.It’s quite high praise to call out one jacket (that’d be the Fint and Tinder Type 3 Sherpa Jacket) as the best winter jacket, but I’m here to tell you that it’s seriously under consideration for that honor from yours truly. In fact, you should read more about this jacket before it’s snapped up off digital shelves.
- The best style moves are sometimes the simplest — take the Proof Nova Series Jacket, a minimal jacket that offers up big-time performance. To get the full scoop, I’m going to send you to GearMoose to read my latest feature.
So, that’ll do it for today’s edition of The Friday Read. I’ve got some exploration of Dublin to get done now — if you have any suggestions for sights to see in the city, feel free to let me know on Twitter. And in the meantime, I’d urge you to keep your weekend going by shopping for some of the best menswear essentials. There we go! Thanks for reading.
Lace up your boots and hit the road this weekend.
Now, the question on your mind today should be: What stylish leather boots am I going to wear this weekend? And where will they take you? When you lace up a pair of boots like the Thorogood Dodgeville Boots, you can really go just about anywhere on this fine February weekend. So, let’s get down to business. We’re capping off a busy whirlwind of a week here in NYC — things really took off in earnest on Monday, as I attended New York Men’s Day, an initiative designed to showcase emerging designers as part of New York Fashion Week (one of my favorite times of year, assuredly!). Things kept rolling with a busy double bill on Monday night, as lauded American menswear designer Todd Snyder (my menswear hero!) showed his excellent Fall/Winter 2019 collection to kick off NYFW. Naturally, the evening was followed by quite the afterparty!
Other activities throughout the week included the Grungy Gentleman Fall/Winter 2019 runway show, a collection of athleisure-heavy, sport-inspired gear blended with tailoring (think French terry blazers and slim jogger sweatpants). It’s with all of that behind me that I’m very much looking toward a relaxing weekend in Brooklyn and Manhattan. On the docket for me — besides quite a few cups of coffee and some tasty craft brews — is a concert by NYC indie singer-songwriter Sharon Van Etten, in support of her excellent January album “Remind Me Tomorrow” — the fact that it’s taking place on Saturday, and at the historic Upper West Side Beacon Theatre is icing on the cake! So, that’s the rundown of things in my neck of the woods. I’ve got some more menswear writing to do in the meantime, but for now, enjoy the best men’s style news of the week.
- Stop searching for your next pair of denim — I think I found it, and I think they come from Revtown. I covered this versatile, durable denim brand (based in the Rust Belt cities of Pittsburgh and Baltimore) for The Manual, so you’d do well to dive into why the brand is making your new favorite pair of jeans.
It’s never too late to start the hunt for the best sneakers for spring — just like the pair I wrote about recently! Grab the Huckberry Vintage Trainers
now, then keep them handy when it warms up!
Still not finished with your pre-weekend reading or shopping? We’ve got just what the doctor ordered — start with the best new chukka boots to buy now. Or, keep things cozy and laidback with a classic henley from Faherty Brand. Last but not least, go for rugged, classic style with the Todd Snyder x Champion line and the Todd Snyder x Champion Crewneck Sweatshirt. That’s all I’ve got for you today — cheers & enjoy the weekend!
The sleek leather watch that’s going to elevate any outfit.
Many thanks and cheers as we kick off today’s Friday Read, my friends! Doesn’t it seem like time is just … flying by? It sure seems like you’d do well to stay on track with the stylish leather watch from Miansai seen above. Yes indeed, the Miansai M12 Vintage Cognac Leather Watch is the one to buy this weekend. And given that we’re halfway through the month, I’d say your wardrobe and your footwear situation might be due for an upgrade — we’ll tackle that more below, but as we stomp through winter, crucial men’s style essentials like some of the best men’s leather boots should be on your radar. Or the best cardigan to buy now. Or a classic chambray shirt. You get the picture.
At any rate, it’s been a focus of mine over these past few weeks to really reach for quality pieces that stand the test of time (if you follow me on Instagram, you might recognize this!). Pieces like a classic shawl cardigan from Buck Mason, or some rugged leather boots from my pals at Danner (as seen in this post). It’s been a fun exercise, one that I’m going to continue in the next few weeks. For now though, I’m very excited to host a trio of longtime Michigan friends in my suddenly-too-small Brooklyn apartment for the long holiday weekend — we’ll be visiting classic NYC haunts like McSorley’s Old Ale House and also checking the unique Museum of the American Gangster (as one does). Again, you can follow along with all the fun on my Instagram. Cheers to the weekend!
- The best way to power through the doldrums of winter? Why, with the perfect flannel shirt from Faherty Brand. Read more in this post on the blog covering exactly why you need a new flannel shirt in your cold-weather arsenal.
I’m all for cracking open a flavorful, rich beer at the end of the day — if you fall into the same category, you’d do well to pick up this handsome-yet-utilitarian bottle opener
from Discommon, a feature I covered for GearMoose. Cheers!
Speaking of essentials to help you power through winter, this durable field coat
is a winter outerwear essential. I wrote recently on the blog about how it’s made to perform in the weather and look great while doing it, too. Yessir, the Proof Field Jacket
could become a new favorite for the season.
Right then — what type of men’s style essentials are you looking forward to wearing this weekend (and beyond)? If you still need to step up your game in this young new year, look toward my favorite men’s style suggestions for winter. Or, rethink how you wear a classic staple like the best peacoat in your arsenal. Mix and match to your heart’s content, my friends. Have a great weekend, and thanks for reading!
The right way to dress for winter — the Proof Storm Shield Parka.
Alright, I’m ready for a stylish winter weekend — how about you? More importantly, how are you dressing for the nasty weather that seems to be blanketing the country right now? If I were you, I’d layer up with the Proof Storm Shield Jacket — the team at Proof makes gear with versatiliy, mobility & performance in mind, so that’s a great way to take on the season. From the Primaloft Gold insulation to the ease of packing it up, the Proof Storm Shield Jacket just works. OK, we’ve got that out of the way. It’s now time to look back at the latest and greatest men’s style news of the week — agreed? We’re about halfway through January, so I’d love to hear how your men’s style resolutions are holding up. It’s all about refreshing and upgrading the basics you know and love — pieces like the classic flannel shirt or a timeless henley — in a new way for the new year.
RAnd we’re already off and running in matters aside from menswear, too. Tonight, I’m heading to my favorite venue in the city (that’d be Brooklyn Steel) to see Nashville singer-songwriter Rayland Baxter play what promises to be a soulful, moving show in East Williamsburg. Have any more suggestions for weekend listening? Feel free to let me know on Twitter — and in the meantime, let’s get on with the Friday Read! Cheers.
- Now, this post ran a few weeks ago, but it’s worth revisting — Esquire.com is giving you the full scoop on the best men’s duffle bag to take with you anywhere and everywhere. In short, it’s a convertible duffle that goes from the gym to the office to the road. Of course, you can also view more essential men’s travel gear elsewhere on the site — happy hunting!
- Let’s take a quick step back for a second — a proper #FlashbackFriday, if you will. While the rest of us deal with sleet and snow, perhaps you find yourself in a more temperate climate. If that’s the case, I’d imagine you’re sick of reading about the best men’s winter coats and want something a little more suited to warm weather? In that case, check out this #OOTD on the best way to wear sneakers now. Bingo.
- There are regular pairs of boots, and then there are the sort of rugged men’s boots you invest in — ones that get better over time. A few weeks back, I wrote all about how Nick’s Boots are the boots you should buy now. You can find out why at The Manual.
Once again, thanks for tuning into this edition of the Friday Read. If you still find yourself on the hunt for something to read or something to wear (or both), I’d point you toward learning more about this rugged winter cardigan from Faherty Brand. Looking for something a bit more refined? Well, then — the Bond Peacoat from Billy Reid (as seen in our Style Pick of the Week series) is the way to go. OK, that’s all I’ve got today. Stay stylish!
No matter how you take your coffee, the Bespoke Post Coffee Starter Kit can help you brew a better cup. Image courtesy of Bespoke Post.
So, my friends — welcome to the first Friday Read of 2019! Pour yourself a cup of coffee using the Bespoke Post Coffee Starter Kit, kick back & enjoy the start of the weekend. Enjoying a rich cup of craft coffee is a favorite weekend starter for me, and if that’s the case for you, the Bespoke Post Coffee Starter Kit might brew the best cup of coffee you’ve ever had. But, you’ll need to try it out for yourself.
Believe you me, that Bespoke Post Coffee Starter Kit is going to come in handy. After all, we’ve got some men’s style essentials to discuss. It’s truly wild to be starting 2019, and with that comes reflection in terms of how you’re dressing and how you’re approaching your wardrobe. We’re in the depths of winter (well, some of us are), and that calls for throwing on warm-yet-stylish layers — take a classic navy peacoat or an elbow patch sweater, then add rugged leather boots to fight snow and slush. Don’t forget stylish leather gloves, either. So, as you can see, there are opportunities aplenty to step your game up in ways big and small. Hopefully, you’ll learn about a few below. Aside from reading about the best men’s style picks, what’s on your weekend to-do list? For me, I’m looking forward to exploring Brooklyn (and the Interboro NYC brewery), plus … yes, enjoying a delicious cup of coffee (or two). Let’s get to the rest of today’s featured style picks in the meantime — thanks for reading!
- There are certain times where you just need a grab-and-go jacket — maybe you’re late for work, maybe you’ve got to dash out the door with the kids, maybe you’ve got to catch the second half at the bar. Whatever the case might be, the Outerknown Puffer Jacket — a recent GearMoose feature by yours truly — is the jacket for you.
- Looking for a cozy and minimal winter layer? That’s where the new line of Mott & Bow Cashmere Sweaters comes into play. Wear any of one of them atop a classic T-shirt for a cozy, stylish winter weekend — but first, read all about ’em at The Manual.
- OK, so if you read the site or you follow me on Instagram, you assuredly know I’m a huge fan of great craft beer. In the spirit of looking back to move forward, the excellent craft beer and lifestyle site October published a recap of the best hazy IPAs of 2018. Perhaps there’s a beer on the list you enjoy? You can never go wrong with a standout IPA.
Still in need of something else to read? Check out more of the best rugged winter gear picks to kick off your year the right way. Or, read more about the best shirt jacket to buy now, this one from Faherty Brand. Last but certainly not least … it’s chilly out there. Make sure you know how to dress for a winter weekend with comfort and style in mind. Cheers!
A versatile and stylish way to start the new year — and end this one.
We’re just days — mere days — away from saying goodbye to 2018 and stepping with full force into 2019. We’ll get to that in a moment, but if I were you, I might just make my last purchase of 2018 the Taylor Stitch Coit Jacket, shown at the top of the page. A unique and unconventional choice when it comes to one of the best men’s winter jackets, I’d wager. Yes indeed, Taylor Stitch does it again. Now, onto what’s ahead of us and what’s behind us. Behind us? Well, 2018 — quite the up-and-down year across the country and the globe. Hopefully, dressing well and improving (or refining) your personal style was largely helpful in navigating some of the, erm, chaos we faced? From weekly men’s style essentials to guides on situations as varied as how to dress for the office and how to dress for a rock concert — among many, many more — I hope you found some enjoyment in this corner of the Web. I’ve also had plenty of fun writing for The Manual and GearMoose, so if either of those sites brought you here, I’d like to say … thanks! We’re not done with 2018 yet, though. It’s time to dress for New Year’s Eve (check out our #OOTD series for more) and it’s time to close out the year in style, assuredly.
- If you don’t yet have a rugged shirt jacket in your closet, you need one. Preferably, the best men’s shirt jacket. OK, there’s probably more than one worthy of your consideration, but for my money’s worth, the Faherty Brand Atmosphere Shirt Jacket (as discussed on the blog last week) is the perfect layer to throw on at the airport for winter travel (preferably atop a classic henley) or as an easygoing layer for a cozy, stylish winter weekend. Can’t go wrong.
- Looking for a warm, rugged leather jacket that just so happens to be heritage-quality and extremely cool? The Orvis World Traveler Leather Jacket — just one of my latest style features at GearMoose — could be the way to go.
- With New Year’s Eve on the way (can you believe it!?), I’m going to once again recommend you wear a stylish, classic peacoat — like this one right here. They’re might not be a better way to stay tailored and look sharp than with the Billy Reid Bond Peacoat, in my estimation. That’s all there is to it.
- Speaking of style upgrades for New Year’s Eve and beyond, I rounded up the best shaving soaps for men, also for GearMoose. Look slick, look sharp … look your best to start 2019.
Alright, folks. Can you believe it’s the last edition of the Friday Read for 2018? I truly can’t — it’s wild, it flies by and I’ve probably filled up my plate too much at times, but again, if you’ve taken the time to read The Style Guide this year, I thank you! Of course, we’ll have our last Style Pick of the Week of the year tomorrow, followed by some very timely content on Monday and Tuesday. Then, it’s a wrap! Again, thanks for reading — stay stylish out there!
The best leather boots to buy right now? Maybe? You decide.
OK, let’s lace up your rugged leather boots and get to work. More specifically, let’s lace up the Red Wing Heritage 6-Inch Classic Moc Boots — timeless, ready for anything & ideal to wear with expertly faded denim for a casual Christmas. Now, then. We’ve really got no time to waste today, what with Christmas on the horizon, so let’s get down to it. Every second really is precious in terms of shopping for the best men’s style essentials (for yourself and others, of course!), so hopefully, you’re getting that shopping wrapped up in fine fashion. And hopefully, you’ve figured out what to wear for Christmas. If not, and if you’re looking for something a little bit different? This post has you covered when it comes to some of the best men’s gear for everyone on your list. Looking for a gift to buy for her — maybe the perfect gift, at that? I’d suggest you pick up the Bespoke Post Refresh Box. Simply looking for an upgrade of your own — one of the classic peacoat variety, that is to say? We’ve got you covered there, too. As for me, I’m very much looking forward to heading to sunny Florida to spend the holiday with my family. On the agenda? Beaches, brewery visits and some holiday wrapping & gift-giving, naturally. To keep up with all the fun, you can follow me on Instagram. And if you’ve still got tons of gift-buying to do? Again, we’re here to help. So, without further ado, let’s check out today’s Friday Read — be my guest.
- Although this article has a different byline, I swear I updated this post on the best men’s turtlenecks for The Manual, featuring some of my favorite picks for the season. The turtleneck is a unique way to up your sweater game, what with its air of tailored cool and dashing style — try wearing yours under a flannel suit for that weekend holiday shindig.
It’s time to bring this one back to your attention — that is, Faherty Brand makes one heck of a rugged cardigan for winter. So, read about one of the best men’s cardigans
your money can buy, then shop accordingly.
Looking for an unbeatable parka for winter? One that’s going to get the job done no matter what you throw at it? You’re looking for the amazing Flint and Tinder Waxed Ridge Parka — lucky for you, I wrote about this fine piece, one of the best men’s parkas
, for GearMoose. Cheers!
Now, that’s going to close the books on this Friday Read, one of the last of 2018 — can’t believe it! Thanks for being along for the ride this year — I’ll leave you with essential reading, this post on the best men’s leather boots to buy now. Hopefully, they come in handy this holiday season. Good luck out there!