Heading into the weekend with selvedge chinos from Flint and Tinder.
Ready for the weekend? Who isn’t? Hopefully, you’re going to be kicked back and relaxed with some of the best men’s chinos, a truly all-weather pair from Flint and Tinder — trust me when I say the Flint and Tinder Selvedge Chinos put in work all day, every day. That should be the case whether you wear these stylish slim chinos with a winter blazer for date night, or decide to throw ’em on with your favorite henley. So, that’s my first piece of menswear advice for you heading into this January weekend — rest assured, we’ve got plenty more coming in today’s Friday Read. Of course, we’ll have another Style Pick of the Week heading down the pipeline tomorrow. But first, I’m very much looking forward to what’s on my weekend slate.
To celebrate my birthday (28 on the 28th!) a bit early, I’m trekking down to Philadelphia on Saturday morning to see one of my favorite bands — esteemed California indie rockers Local Natives! — play the fun Radio 104.5 Winter Jawn, an outdoor shindig held at Xfinity Live (yes, outdoors). It promises to be part of a day of super-fun, enjoyable music, also helped along by AJR (headlining) and Sub Urban. The rest of my weekend jaunt, I plan on taking in all that Philly has to offer in the way of history and naturally, craft beer. I’ve previously explored neighborhoods like Brewerytown, and I’m turning my attention this time to neighborhood spots like the Khyber Pass Pub and of course, the much-lauded Monk’s Cafe (featuring a positively huge selection of rare beer). It should be a fun and fitting way to kick off the birthday “weekend” — I’ll never pass up a chance to hear Local Natives play classics like “Breakers” and new favorites like “Garden of Elysian,” and when you throw craft beer in the mix … that’s a huge positive! I hope your weekend is similarly filled with fun, great food, delicious beer and excellent music. OK, let’s get into today’s Friday Read.
- You know the sort of weekend I’m talking about when it’s heading your way — the chance for adventure in the great outdoors calls out to you, and you need to respond (and dress) accordingly with winter style essentials. Those are the gear picks I wrote about for The Manual — if you want to know how to dress for a rugged winter weekend, you best check out that feature.
- While we’re on the subject of how to dress for winter weather, I’ll direct your attention toward GearMoose — with picks from Faherty Brand, Danner and more, I wrote about all the best winter weather essentials (well, 10 essentials, at least) that you need ASAP.
- We’re going back to GearMoose right away for my next winter style briefing. As you might know, I’m a big, big fan of Taylor Stitch — to me, it seems the San Francisco-based gear purveyors can really do no wrong. So, with that dependability and iconic style in mind, I wrote about your new favorite leather boots: The Taylor Stitch Trench Boots. One-of-a-kind, highly durable and perfect for pairing up with, say, your Taylor Stitch Camp Pants.
- If you follow the blog — and especially if you follow me on Instagram — you know one of my passions here in NYC is live music. From festivals to indie rock club shows, I’m always on the lookout for art and music that moves me & impacts my life. Since moving here, I’ve found the Governors Ball music festival to be a reliably fun and jam-packed way to get my needed dose of high-quality, soulful and meaningful music. That’s why I’m pretty excited about the Governors Ball 2020 lineup, as released last week! With sets on the way from Tame Impala, Vampire Weekend and the legendary Stevie Nicks — not to mention a packed undercard featuring the likes of Bleachers, Charly Bliss, British rockers Foals and more. Needless to say, I’m already anticipating early June in NYC. What do you think of the lineup? Let me know on Twitter.
OK, my friends — we covered a lot of ground here, from a terrific NYC music festival to winter style essentials for your upcoming weekend. Before I get ready to hit the road to Philadelphia, I’d implore you to prepare for the polar vortex (or similarly cold winter weather) with one of my recent roundups of the best new men’s gear for the season. We’re talking a rugged shirt jacket, tough leather boots, a handsome watch and plenty more. I hope you find what you’re searching for — be sure to check back here early and often for my top men’s style picks. Until next time, thanks for reading!
A rugged denim shirt to layer up with on a winter weekend.
We’re on the edge of another winter weekend — I hope you powered through your week with speed & style in mind! And I hope you’ve got your eye on that remarkable Buck Mason denim shirt shown above — it could be the perfect winter layer when paired with, say, your favorite henley, and it’s the right way to gear up for whatever’s on your plate this weekend. Notably, winter style essentials should be top of mind, and that’s what we’re going to dive into here for another edition of The Friday Read. Whether it’s a modern flannel shirt or the perfect way to wear your leather bomber jacket, I guarantee you we’ve got something for you — plus, a healthy dose of the best menswear news at the same time. So again, what’s on your plate this weekend? For me, I’ll be working away on the blog (be sure to follow The Style Guide on Facebook!), as well as heading to a double birthday party of sorts being thrown by my cousin — craft beer and BBQ are on the menu, make no mistake! I’ll also be enjoying some coffee at Brooklyn’s own Sweetwater Coffee and Tea,and likely swinging by one of my favorite menswear and home goods shops, the always-excellent Modern Anthology. Of course, given that it’s a long holiday weekend, I’ll be out and about in Prospect Park a fair amount, too — in short, I can’t ask for much more from a few days in Brooklyn than that. To follow along with what I’m wearing (and imbibing, and listening to), head to my Instagram. Oh, and before I forget — make sure you’re layering up with that Buck Mason denim shirt shown above. For now, enjoy the start of your weekend!
- OK, let’s kick things off with a bang. Now, we’re a few weeks into the new year, but that doesn’t mean you should stop shopping for the best men’s style essentials — and with that in mind, I put my mind to the task at hand and covered the best new menswear for 2020 over at The Manual. A spoiler: The post features appearances from my pals at Mott and Bow, plus Buck Mason and Taylor Stitch. OK, happy reading!
- Speaking of kicking things off with a bang, head over to Faherty Brand to shop the Faherty Brand Surplus Sale, featuring discounts up to 70 percent off — that includes knitwear starting at $29, outerwear starting at $99, and free shipping on orders over $95. A terrific deal on your new favorite menswear, to say the least.
- Of course, the headline at the top of the page mentions that we’re going to tell you about the best leather messenger bag — and well, that bag in particular just so happens to be the Bexar Goods Porter Satchel, as covered by yours truly at GearMoose. It’s potentially the perfect way to haul your everyday carry essentials, no doubt about it.
- We also mentioned we’d be getting to a new hooded sweatshirt for winter — and again, I’ll point you back toward GearMoose for the full scoop on the Proof Meridian Hoodie, quite possibly the best hooded sweatshirt for a winter adventure (or heck, a day of lounging on your couch).
OK, that’s going to wrap up today’s Friday Read. Did you find what you were looking for? If not, take a look at my latest roundup of the best new men’s gear — we’re covering everything from rugged flannel shirts to the best new winter boots, so I think you’ll more than be able to gear up in style this season. OK, that’s really it for now — enjoy your weekend!
Durable, dependable, made to last — that’s what Faherty Brand offers here. The perfect way to start your weekend.
Perhaps you, like me, are looking for one of the best men’s winter jackets as we head into another winter weekend (and as we dress for the polar vortex, no less). That being said, perhaps the Faherty Brand Atmosphere Hooded Jacket at the top of the page can get your weekend started right — that’s why we’re here with another edition of the Friday Read, after all. And to help you work on your New Year’s resolutions and bolster your winter style offerings, I think you’ll find plenty of handy, helpful tips and tricks below (A hint: That includes new boots from Taylor Stitch x Stetson). Elsewhere, when you start out with one of the most important layers — a rugged winter parka — you’re guaranteed to make it a great weekend (or at least, a bearable one in the snow and slush). I don’t have any doubt that I could get a lot of use this coming weekend out of the Faherty Brand Atmosphere Hooded Jacket, seeing as I plan on getting out and about in the borough with my new Pub Pass, a standout “coupon book” of sorts (but with a much cooler design) that offers free beer at some of the best spots in Brooklyn — I’ve already visited soccer-themed pub Banter, and I think I’ll make it a point to visit another favorite haunt (Covenhonven) soon, too. In the meantime, I’ll be keeping up with the latest music festival drops as we look ahead to summer — Coachella announced its lineup last week, Bonnaroo dropped its lineup earlier this week, and more are on the way. Who else is pumped?
You can keep up with all the fun on my Instagram — and for now, let’s dive into the rest of what you need to know this weekend.
- I mentioned above we’d dig into the new Taylor Stitch x Stetson Moto Boots as part of that standout collaboration, and well, here they are — I covered these outstanding, rugged leather boots for GearMoose, and they’re only available for pre-funding for a limited time. Best get right to it, folks.
- The headline of this post says it all — to kick off your weekend and keep your winter rolling, I wrote about the best Oxford shirts for my friends at The Manual. When you want classic men’s style essentials, an Oxford shirt is one of the best places to start.
- Maybe you want to ease into this year in casual, laidback style — the sort of style that can refresh your approach to wellness and provide you with new perspective and comfort. On that note, the folks at UpWest think they’ve got what you need, from cozy sweats to warm thermal shirts and more. Naturally then, I wrote about a clothing brand that can change your life — head to The Manual for more.
- Lastly, on the music front, I mentioned the 2020 Coachella lineup above — have you ever been to the country’s biggest music festival? I haven’t, and unless the indie rock quotient is upped significantly in future years, I can’t say when I will! But, to each their own. Back to menswear for now, OK?
Last but not least, I’m going to direct you back toward a pretty straightforward piece — my take on the best new menswear essentials to start the year. We cover solid cologne, new winter flannel shirting, dependable boots and plenty more — all of which are going to serve you well come 2020. OK, that’s all from me — time to kick back with some coffee (first) and a rich beer later. Cheers!
Nothing but the very best leather jacket to wear to start 2020.
Ahh, yes — another Friday, another new edition of The Friday Read, and crucially, another opportunity to keep 2020 rolling in style. First things first: We’ve talked previously about Buck Mason on the blog, and how this venerable brand produces some of the best men’s jackets and other must-haves, and that’s no different when it comes to the investment-worthy leather jacket you see at the top of the page. It’s one of the best leather jackets you can buy, and it’s an ideal way to kick off the first weekend of 2020. How was your (hopefully) shortened week? I spent mine with two days of work at my day job working on social media and influencer programming, and then, I closed out 2019 in the very best way possible — seeing legendary NYC rock band The Strokes play at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn!
Talk about an action-packed, hit-filled night with nothing but all-time classics on loop. It was an incredible way to close out the year and the decade — I’m seriously looking forward to 2020, as I’ve got some big plans for the blog, including ongoing freelance writing pursuits and of course, my ever-growing Instagram (I kid, I kid!). Hopefully, you’ll find some of the best men’s style tips to jumpstart your 2020 — as always, the focus will be on affordability, quality construction, classic design, and yes, a bit of fun and maybe a splurge or two along the way (start with my series The List to kick things off with the best new men’s gear, will ya?). And for the rest of you: If you’ve resolved to kick off your new year in style — and really, who among us hasn’t? — then you’re going to like today’s take on The Friday Read. For now though, I’ve got some coffee to enjoy and some beer to imbibe later this weekend (chiefly, at at the new Brooklyn location of Hudson Valley-based Svendale Brewing). OK, that’s all from me for now. Let’s get to it!
- Finding the right gear to amp up your style during winter can be a bit of a challenge — but if you start with the classics, like some of the best corduroy pants for men as covered by yours truly at The Manual — I think you’re going to like the end result. You can also read more right here on the blog when it comes to the best men’s corduroy pants, too.
- Starting off a new year is about more than just upgrading what you’re wearing — it’s also about amplifying your men’s grooming essentials, and as you’ve read on the blog, you know that Duke Cannon can help you do that. Specifically, I’m talking about the Duke Cannon Proper Cologne, one of the best men’s colognes you’re apt to find.
- Let’s keep talking new men’s gear, shall we? With improving your everyday carry top of mind to start 2020 (both in matters of style and functionality), I wrote about a trio of EDC essentials to get you where you’re going without missing a beat — head to GearMoose to check out the full post.
Alright, that’s going to bring an end to the first edition of The Friday Read to start this year. Before you go, though — I think you’d do well to check out my simple, easy, effective guide to wearing your new favorite winter sweater. Hint: It’s a classic cashmere sweater from Mott and Bow, and it’s teamed with sharp wingtip boots and plenty more men’s style essentials. I’ll leave you to it, then — happy shopping, and happy 2020!
This classic leather jacket is going to add a ton to your menswear rotation.
Let’s jump into things right off the bat, shall we? The headline mentions above that we’ll talk about the best leather jacket for the season, and in fact, it’s the incredible Buck Mason Bruiser Leather Bomber Jacket as shown above. Especially with New Year’s Eve on the horizon — and particularly if you enjoy going to a rock concert or two — you need one of the best leather jackets you can buy. It’s an apt layer with your favorite henley this winter (trust me). So, we’ve closed out Christmas and are looking toward the end of 2020 — how wild is that?? I hope you’re gearing up for a relaxing weekend with family and friends, or a more adventurous time on the road — either way, today’s Friday Read is going to get you sorted out in short order. I also hope you got something on your Christmas wish list — I know I certainly did, and I loved spending a relaxing week in Florida with family, celebrating in the fun and the sun (as seen on my Instagram).
This weekend though, I’m back in New York and excited despite the cold — in addition to a laidback weekend in Brooklyn, I’m venturing into Manhattan today for a very unique reason. Notably, my alma mater, my beloved Michigan State Spartans, are playing in the Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium to close out this season! It’s going to be a bitterly cold affar (as any college football game at Yankee Stadium should be), but I’m still beyond excited to see my Spartans right here in NYC. Before the game, I’d say a pint or two will be in order at this weekend’s MSU hub, Stan’s Sports Bar. The rest of the weekend, I’ll be getting out and about in Prospect Park (likely wearing some of my favorite boots and a tough waxed trucker jacket) — how about you? Let me know on Twitter, and let’s keep things rolling along in fine form with the rest of today’s Friday Read — cheers!
- The good folks at Taylor Stitch always impress me in terms of their commitment to uncompromising quality and style — that’s the case with the brand’s latest take on the remarkable Taylor Stitch Ranch Boots, an extraordinary pair of rugged Chelsea boots that are worth the money. Read more for yourself via my latest at GearMoose.
- If you’re on the hunt for the unexpected when it comes to the best winter style essentials, have I got a brand for you. Notably, the California-based, surf-inspired and darn-near-legendary team at Birdwell Beach Britches recently debuted a standout winter collection, featuring offerings that range from an expertly washed crewneck sweatshirt to a classic corduroy overshirt. I took a deep dive into the brand for The Manual — prepare to layer up in style!
- Let’s go back one more time to GearMoose and one of the best winter jackets, as covered by yours truly (naturally). The Barbour Icons Beaufort Jacket is tough, rugged and utterly dependable, even in the worst weather — get the full scoop here.
Alright, my friends — that’ll wrap up today’s take on the best men’s style news and recommendations. However, I do indeed have one more recommendation before you go — this American-made winter jacket from Flint and Tinder is remarkably rugged, well-designed and ready to layer with anything you can dream up (including, preferably, a Birdwell Beach Britches crewneck sweater). Read all about it, try it out, then let me know in the comments how it works out. Thanks for reading!
The perfect winter jacket for the holidays and beyond.
OK, who’s ready for another winter Friday? The last winter Friday before Christmas, at that! Still wondering what gifts to buy for the stylish guy on your list? I’ve got you covered. And today’s Friday Read is going to take care of business quite nicely, too — you’ll find out about a new Taylor Stitch jacket, gifts for the whiskey lover, and plenty more. Of course, we’d be remiss not to mention one of the best winter jackets as shown above, a durable and weather-ready Faherty Brand puffer jacket (the Polar Fjord Puffer, to be exact), that’s worth investing in as you dress for the polar vortex (or wherever your holiday takes you). I won’t exactly be needing a rugged winter parka, however — this weekend, I’m hitting the road to sunny Florida yet again for a relaxing week of Christmas vacation! I was just in Florida for a lovely and relaxing Thanksgiving (as seen on my Instagram), and I’m very excited to get back! It’s always a wonderful time in Fort Myers, from trying out new and old breweries (Point Ybel Brewing is a perennial favorite) to taking in fun holiday activities like checking out the illustrious grounds of the Edison Ford Winter Estates, done up with excellent holiday decor. For now though, I’ve got my holiday party to enjoy at my day job, and a bit of a search for last-minute holiday gifts to undertake this weekend. Get your own weekend started the right way with another edition of the Friday Read — cheers to the season!
- As we said above, ’tis the season to layer up in style with one of the best new men’s jackets for your closet — in this case, we’re talking about a handsome bomber jacket from Taylor Stitch, as covered by yours truly at GearMoose. It’s both elegant and rugged at the same time — it’s the perfect holiday layer, in short. Heck, it could even be a reliable suggestion if you’re still searching for what to wear to your holiday party.
- So, we mentioned Faherty Brand up above — and there’s reason to turn back toward this highly stylish brand again, seeing as Faherty is offering expedited shipping and guaranteed delivery by the 24th on orders placed by Saturday. Hop to it, folks!
- Just when you thought the good folks at Florsheim couldn’t churn out men’s shoes that were any more essential or stylish, they drop the Florsheim Fuel Reflect Capsule, a new, ultra-shiny and sleek set of dress shoes with some futuristic iridescent design touches. Perfect for, again, that last-minute holiday party. I covered it for The Manual, so check it out if you’re in need of some stylish dress shoes.
- Now, we’ll turn back to GearMoose for another crucial holiday gift suggestion. I didn’t pen this particular piece, but that doesn’t mean I’m any less enthralled by this roundup of the best gifts for whiskey lovers — perfect to gift to the guy who loves a great Old Fashioned.
- Lastly, it’s been a momentous year for music – favorite albums of mine included two ethereal releases from Brooklyn indie rockers Big Thief (that’d be both “Two Hands” and “U.F.O.F.”), as well as the excellent “Remind Me Tomorrow” by the lovely Sharon Van Etten. Of course, it goes without saying that “I Am Easy To Find” by The National is an all-time favorite, too. That being said, it’s always fun to read about the best albums of 2019 from a different perspective — in this case, Stereogum has put together a list of the top 50 albums of 2019, and it’s certainly worth your time.
So, maybe you’re still searching for the perfect last-minute gift, as we talked about above — with all that being said, maybe you know someone who’d love to have, say, the best pair of men’s jeans waiting for them under the tree? That’s where the Mott and Bow Slim Stone Denim comes into play, some of the most stylish jeans you can buy (and some of the more affordable premium jeans on the market, at that). Alright, enjoy and let’s get onto the weekend!
The right way to gear up for a cozy winter weekend — don’t you agree? Faherty Brand gets it.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again — ’tis the season to bundle up in style, get your shopping taken care of, and then … kick back with one of the best Christmas beers, right? To help you get started with that first step, might I suggest picking up a Faherty Brand sweater for rugged style and cozy comfort? Something like the essential Faherty Brand Legend Sweater ought to do the trick, don’t you agree? After all, you can never go wrong with a stylish sweater that doubles as a rugged shirt — at least, that’s what I think. You’ll find today’s post is focused on plenty of the best gifts for men, from a well-crafted T-shirt to a new men’s grooming upgrade — there’s no time to waste if you still need to take care of some shopping. Holiday shopping will definitely be on my mind this weekend in NYC, but I’m excited to have some time off to properly take in the sights and sounds of the city.
On that note, I’m venturing into Manhattan on Saturday to fuel up with Birch Coffee, explore Central Park — potentially snapping some photos for my Instagram along the way — and then cap the day off in a big way. I’m heading to a rare evening on Broadway (well, in this case, Off-Broadway) to see a much-hyped production of “Cyrano,” starring Peter Dinklage and featuring music written by none other than members of my favorite band, The National! Lead singer Matt Berninger and his wife, Carin Besser, wrote lyrics for this updated production of “Cyrano,” while brothers Aaron and Bryce Dessner (the multi-instrument virtuosos of the band) wrote music. Talk about an incredible combination — and surely, an incredible production! I really can’t wait. What’s on your weekend to-do list? First things first, check out today’s Friday Read.
- Let’s get down to holiday gifting, shall we? I mentioned above that we’d dive into a great deal on men’s jeans, and that’s in fact the case here with Mott and Bow. The NYC brand is still going strong when it comes to making some of the best men’s jeans, and this season, they’ve got quite the deal on tap: Get a free tee with any order of denim — using the code HOLIDAY19! —
- now through the end of the month. Want more deals on the best men’s jeans and accessories from this excellent brand? It gets better. Use the code (again, HOLIDAY19!) to get a free scarf or hat with orders over $200. The search for the best pair of men’s denim just got a whole lot easier.
- Alright, so I’m going to point you toward a major grooming upgrade (and a major grooming gift) for the guy in your life this season. Helpfully, Cardon for Men is launching a limited-edition gift set with a special early preview of two products set to launch in January (those two new products would be the Clay Purifying Cleaners and 3-in-1 Hydro Boost Gel Moisturizer). So, that’s a special gift set that also offers an early look at two new potential grooming favorites — what’s not to love about that??
- Perhaps you want to pick up a gift for the traveler in your life? Look no further than the richly crafted, well-appointed Tecovas Large Duffle, from the same brand that’s built quite the heritage of making ultra-functional (and stylish) cowboy boots.
- Speaking of essential gifts, what about the perfect T-shirt? It’s possible now, thanks to General Issue (the work of award-winning designer Susan Woo). This new brand works with factories and like-minded partners in Brooklyn to craft luxurious-yet-accesible basics, resulting in a well-curated line with three items to start. A super-soft short-sleeve tee, a sharp polo, and a casual long-sleeve shawl tee are up for grabs — whoever gets one of these is going to love it, guarnateed.
Alright, that’s going to end my latest rundown of crucial men’s gifts to buy now — there’s plenty more where that came from in the weeks ahead. In the meantime, perhaps you’re interested in reading about even more of the best new menswear releases? From a rugged waxed trucker jacket to the best new leather boots, I guarantee you my latest gear roundup will have something for you (or the stylish fella on your shopping list). Cheers to the season!