Some of the best men’s boots money can buy — seriously.
Ladies and gentlemen, loyal Style Guide readers, … happy Friday. To start things off, let’s talk about the amazing Viberg Service Boots
as shown above, perhaps one of the best pairs of men’s leather boots
on the market… and maybe, on the planet?? That’s the case, for me. And if you follow me on Instagram
, you know I love my pair of Viberg boots
. Now, to business. We’re getting very close to Christmas — have you taken care of your shopping? If not, we’ll have you set with some exceptional menswear gifting picks next week. In the meantime, we’re coming off a busy week on the homefront — among this week’s highlights, I was thrilled to once again see excellent Australian rock band Gang of Youths
play in New York City at the famed Irving Plaza! Rock music is alive and well thanks to those guys. Elsewhere, we talked about one of the best men’s shirt jackets
to buy right now, and we also helped you in terms of how to dress for your next business meeting. Now, we’re heading into the weekend, and our next weekly men’s style roundup. OK, that’s all for now — enjoy!
- Do you have a favorite album of 2018? Maybe? Maybe not? If you do, you might find this list by Consequence of Sound interesting, covering the best albums of 2018. From Cat Power to Beach House to Mitski, there are some transcendent selections in the list. Feel like joining the debate? Let me know on Twitter. Need something on which to listen to your favorite album? Try this stylish record player or this excellent portable Bluetooth speaker.
- Sometimes, all you need to make your outfit go from good to great is a pair of the best men’s leather boots — like the CAT Footwear Thinsulate Boots, as I covered for GearMoose. Now, get out there and get to work.
- To me, it’s more than worth bringing this crucial post to your attention again. Namely, I recently wrote about how to get a discount on Outerknown menswear — in this piece on men’s style essentials, in fact. The skinny: Just use the code STYLEGUIDE25 to get 25 percent off full-priced gear at Outerknown. That’s it! Happy shopping.
- In the way of rugged winter gear, it’s also worth considering this men’s style guide I wrote for The Manual covering my favorite fall picks from Filson. Plenty of choices for everyone, right?
Ready for the weekend? Heading to your favorite brewery? Here’s what to wear to the bar tonight. Looking for something else to read? Or wear? Here’s the best men’s sweater to buy now. That’s going to wrap it up today — thanks for reading!
It’s the end of a long week — treat yourself to some whiskey, and to a new whiskey glass in the process
OK, my friends. If you’re in the same boat as me, perhaps you might enjoy a nice, neat pour of a premium spirit in one of the best whiskey glasses on the market to end your Friday. How about it? The good news is, you can pick up many more of those unique Whiskey Peaks glasses as shown above at Huckberry. Now, to the rest of today’s Friday Read. We’ve kept plenty busy here to close out November — I spent the Thanksgiving holiday with my family in warm, sunny and relaxing Florida, enjoying a Jai Alai IPA and watching lots of football (you might have picked up on that via my Instagram). At any rate, it was a much-needed, very refreshing break from writing a ton about, yes, winter style essentials aplenty. Like the outfit you need to wear to your favorite brewery this weekend. And the best flannel shirt to buy now. Again, the work never stops. However!
It’ll come to a brief respite this afternoon, as I head to the lovely town of Hudson, New York (you might remeber it from a previous upstate winter getaway) to support a great cause and see some amazing live music. Yes indeed, today is the start of the Rally in the Valley, a full weekend of education and activism supporting Planned Parenthood in upstate New York. Along with community workshops and panel discussions, it’s kicked off on Friday night with a concert by none other than indie rock luminaries The National — my heroes and my forever band! Guitarist Aaron Dessner lives not too far from Hudson, and I’ve been very lucky to see them play two album release shows last summer (at the incredible Basilica Hudson). This time around, I’m more excited than ever for an intimate show at Hudson Hall. It’s going to be an amazing night for an amazing cause — and the rest of the weekend shouldn’t disappoint! I plan to hit up MOTO Coffee for a cup or two (or more) of delicious coffee, and I’m also thrilled to stay at Rivertown Lodge, complete with idyllic accomodations aplenty (say that five times fasts). For now though, we’ve got more menswear and craft beer to discuss. Read on!
- We start this portion of today’s Friday Read by talking about a gift for her — your partner, your spouse or your girlfriend. And this gift comes from one of my favorite online retailers, Bespoke Post. They make all kinds of menswear essentials (and I know we all love a great Bespoke Post Box), but the recently lauched Soothe Box (it’s just $55!) is one-of-a-kind, and an ideal way to put some care & thought into the holiday season. From a lovely candle to a clay face mask to body scrub, these are the essentials she deserves — get your shopping done early.
- On the craft beer front, I was fortunate enough last week to try the excellent Spruce Tip IPA from Upslope Brewing. This Colorado-based, Certified B Corporation has put a little something extra into this beer — besides the hand-picked spruce tips, that is. They work with organizations like Leave No Trace to produce beer that’s environmentally friendly — and delicious, to boot. Heck, that’s not all: The Spruce Tip IPA is particularly great out of a can.
- Staying sharp while on the road has arguably never been more important than right now — that’s why I wrote about the best men’s winter travel essentials over at The Manual! It features some gear picks from brands you know and love, including the Proof Rover Pants, stylish Darn Tough socks and even a rugged Jack Mason watch. Can’t get any better than that.
Also in the way of holiday-centric upgrades, I wrote about all of the best men’s grooming gifts
for GearMoose. You know, the gifts to give, well, any guy on your list who could use better skin care. So, your dad, your brother, your father-in-law … you catch my drift.
That’s going to close out today’s Friday Read. Did you find what you were looking for? Maybe stay on the site if not — we’ll tell you all about the best menswear to buy on sale this weekend. We’ll also get you outfitted with the perfect oufit to wear for a night in, because even laidback nights deserve proper style. Again, hopefully, you find what you need. Stay tuned for tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week, and have a great weekend!
Cozy slippers made with elements of your favorite sneakers. Perfect for the weekend.
First of all — cross Friday off your calendar. It’s here. Second of all, grab a new pair of the first-ever slippers from SeaVees for the weekend. And next? Enter a great New York Fashion Week giveaway. Yes, that’s right. We’re coming at you today with an exclusive, super-fun offer: You could win a trip to New York this February. What for, you ask? Easy answer: Fashion week. But Beau, how’s that work? Again, easy answer. Story time: Although I love my glasses, I used to wear contacts all the time. Sadly, I never got to try Alcon Air Optix Colors, but if I did, I’d be pumped — ‘cuz they’re the brand giving you the chance to vist NYC. They’re hosting a NY Fashion Week sweepstakes now through December 11th. Simply go upload an IG photo of yourself wearing your Air Optix Colors lenses — or, go online and virtually try on one of their 12 new lens colors, then upload a photo of your look (tagging @AIROPTIXCOLORS and using the hashtags #Readytoplay and #Sweepstakes). Oh, this is important: You can find the official rules HERE. The winner will get a trip for two and a VIP experience (none other than backstage passes) at New York Fashion Week: The Shows in February 2019. That’s all there is to it! Nice.
Again, all you need to do is that virtual try-on, then upload a photo … then you’ve got your chance. I find fashion week to be a fun whirlwind — you’re in the thick of it in NYC, seeing the latest and greatest from boundary-pushing fashion brands. I look forward to it every season, and I think you will, too! Again, you can (and should!) enter with Alcon Air Optix Colors. After you’ve done that, be sure to come back here and enjoy plenty of talk related to choice winter style essentials. Maybe crack open an Anchor Christmas Ale and turn on The National while you’re at it. Happy Friday!
- In my mind, this post is worth sharing again, especially if you still find yourself searching for that go-anywhere winter jacket. I’m talking, of course, about the Billy Reid Dempsey Jacket, as seen in a post in our Style Pick of the Week series earlier this month.
- The thermal shirt is the underrated winter layering essential you might not have known you needed. I wrote about the best men’s thermal shirts for The Manual, just in time to help you fight the chill. (Related: Grayers makes a stylish thermal henley you’d do well to buy as we head into winter).
- My good friend Pat Evans — an accomplished beer writer and a pal from my days at The State News at Michigan State University — has written up a fascinating piece (also at The Manual!) on the German origins of Sapporo beer. A neat read as we get ready to raise a glass this weekend.
That’s bringing us to the end of today’s Friday Read. Can’t get enough menswear? Read more about the best cold-weather gear to buy now. Or, check out this handy guide on how to wear a henley this year. Lastly, just because … find a new and improved way to wear your denim shirt for the season.
Stunning boots that you just might want to pick up this weekend — ehh?
Welcome, dear friends and Style Guide readers, to an ever-so-slightly special edition of the Friday Read here on the blog during this stylish Thanksgiving weekend. In case you’re still in a post-Thanksgiving stupor, today’s post is here to ease you into a holiday weekend filled with leftovers, some men’s style essentials, and yes … plenty of shopping for the best Black Friday deals. In short, let’s lace up our boots and get to work — just like those Original Chippewa Service Boots as seen at the top of the page. At any rate, I’m thankful to be enjoying the holiday weekend with my family in lovely, sunny Orlando. There’s tasty beer, there’s great food & there are visits in store to Disney World.
How did you dress for Thanksgiving? I hope it was stylish, and I hope you’ve got plenty of relaxation and quality time in your future — and yes, some shopping as well. On that note, I’ve rounded up a few sale picks from some of my favorite brands below. Read on, shop away & be sure to follow along with all the fun, if you feel so inclined, on my Instagram. Cheers!
This Year’s Best Black Friday Deals from Huckberry, Taylor Stitch, Bespoke Post & More
What goes better than Thanksgiving weekend and, well, gear from Huckberry?
- Huckberry: We’ll kick this list off with my pals at the lauded San Francisco-based retailer, who just opened an NYC pop-up — it’s simply fantastic. In the meantime, you can get from 15 up to 60 percent off on the year’s best sellers on the site. And for Cyber Monday, you’re looking at free shipping sitewide and a host of special Cyber Monday-only deals on Huckberry gear. Sounds great to me. Want to know about some favorites of mine from Huckberry? Here are five.
- Taylor Stitch: OK, moving on. One of my favorite menswear retailers is offering 20 percent off the site for Black Friday, with $20 credit back to be users on your next purchase of $100 or more. Boom. Also, some items marked down to 30 percent off. Gotta love some Taylor Stitch. My current favorite is the handsome Leeward Shirt, pictured above.
- United By Blue: The sustainable, stylish brand is offering 25 percent off sitewide starting on Black Friday and running through November 27th, with Cyber Monday also offering 25 percent markdowns, all the way up to 80 percent off. Both promos offer free shipping on all orders with no minimums, as it were. Read more about the brand via my latest feature for The Manual.
Just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to stylish gear you can get from Bespoke Post.
- Bespoke Post: Another favorite of mine for the diversity of gear they stock, as shown above. That includes the well-appointed selection of Bespoke Post boxes in addition to a full shop — you’d do well to get started early on your holiday shopping with the Bespoke Post Holiday Gift Guide. A few of my favorites? Glad you asked.
- Fourlaps: Note that for Black Friday AND Cyber Monday, we’re looking at surprise deals to be announced at 12:01am EST both days for the fashion-forward athletic brand — that’s a heck of a way to score some affordable men’s athletic gear. Grab pieces like the Rush Hoodie and Jogger or the brand’s running shortsor Signature Tees.
Frank And Oak
: Another longtime favorite of the blog (seriously, check out this 2013 Frank And Oak review
!), this retailer is back in a big way this winter. Get 30 percent off your purchase through November 25th with the coupon BLACKFRIDAY30,
noting that there are some exclusions to include more styles on Cyber Monday. Then, on Cyber Monday, you can also get 30 percent off your purchase through November 27th, with the coupon CYBERMONDAY30.
- Blundstone: If you follow me on Instagram, you know that I’ve been loving my rugged Blundstone boots — you can read more about Blundstone in this blog post, too. If you want to snag a pair of your own, note that you can take 15 percent off all purchases through Monday at 3pm EST using the promo code GIVETHX.
Alright, truth be told … that’s but a smattering of the 2018 Black Friday deals you’re apt to find. But to me, they’re all highly shoppable and seriously fun. What are you buying this year? Feel free to check in with me over at the Style Guide Facebook page. OK, back to turkey sandwiches.
Simply gorgeous boots that pack a punch when it comes to winter functionality.
Lately as we kick off every Friday Read — our weekly recap of the things to know in men’s style — we’ve been spotlighting a standout series of winter style essentials. That continues today with the beautiful, investment-worthy Yuketen Maine Guide Boots, exclusive to our pals at Huckberry. There’s really not a pair of rugged leather boots quite like these ones, what with their handmade construction, an eight-layer midsole and the use of Horween leather. Again, the Yuketen Maine Guide Boots belong on your list of fall weekend essentials. As it were, that’s why we’re here today. I’m coming off a weekend to remember back in my home state of Michigan, deep in the woods near Big Rapids, celebrating my best friend Mr. Chris Spyke’s bachelor party! A rustic log cabin and plenty of beer & chicken wings proved the perfect way to acknowledge the occasion (and if you follow me on Instagram, maybe you saw I broke out my Huckberry Duck Boots)! At any rate, it was an amazing and refreshing weekend deep in the Michigan wilderness, complete with a light snowfall — what could be more perfect? For now, I’ve turned my attention back here to Brooklyn. This weekend, I hope to visit one of my favorite menswear shops, the well-appointed Modern Anthology, and I’m also looking forward to venturing out to UpNorth, a Canadian-themed bar in Bushwick (this cold weather is really getting into me). What’s on your weekend agenda? Besides checking out the below Friday Read, shopping for some men’s style essentials & reading our Style Pick of the Week? Get it all started here. Thanks for reading!
It’s official — the fleece jacket is back, and better than ever. When it comes to cozy, essential casual style — especially for the holiday season — you’d do worse than to read my roundup of the best fleece jackets
over at GearMoose.
- Our friends at Esquire, ever focused on refinement for the modern man, tell you how to host a party this winter. Not a pregame, a real party. I hope to try out that pre-batched Manhattan recipe soon!
Is there any season in which a pair of casual blue jeans
won’t work? Nope, there’s truly not. That’s why I’m sharing once again my take on a new favorite pair of jeans
from my pals at Huckberry. They’re laidback, they’re comfortable, and they’ll work as readily at Thanksgiving dinner as they will on a weekend coffee date. Cheers!
I talk often about the best men’s style essentials, especially for transitional weather. In that same vein, you won’t misstep if you read my guide to the best men’s winter boots
, as compiled for The Manual.
OK, that’s going to give you the go-ahead to get started on your weekend. Looking for one last thing to read before you go? Check out this go-to fall and winter layer from Buffalo Jackson. Better yet, get yourself a new field watch to wear it with. Alright, I’ll leave you to it — have a great weekend!
A comfortable, soft flannel that’s brushed for comfort & ready to take on fall and winter.
Ahh, yes. Another Friday, another edition of The Friday Read … and another recommendation for the best fall menswear to buy now. Specifically, the handsome, versatile Proof Heatseeker Flannel— made from brushed polyester flannel for comfort and movement — is leading us off to start the weekend. In short, the Heatseeker Flannel will go anywhere you go, from the office to happy hour, and it’ll look great doing it. Now, onto the rest of today’s entry. Have you made sure to keep up with the blog as we get you fully prepped for this season? We’re looking at Thanksgiving just a few weeks away — dressing in style for the occasion is crucial, and we’ll have more content in that regard next week on the blog via our #OOTD series. In other matters: We debuted a new look on The Style Guide this week! What do you think of it? Feel free to let me know on Twitter. And elsewhere: I’m very, VERY excited to be heading back to my home state of Michigan this weekend for my kindergarten (yep!) best friend’s bachelor party! What’s on tap? Plenty of amazing Michigan craft beer, plus college football (Go Green!) and of course, the chance to break out some of my rugged fall gear as we spend the weekend at a log cabin retreat. To keep up with all the action, you know where to go — follow me on Instagram, and then be sure to join us again tomorrow for another edition of the Style Pick of the Week. OK, I’ve got a flight to catch — thanks for reading!
- We’ve been rolling through November for a while now, which means it’s time to turn our attention toward men’s health. Believe you me, it’s not too late to get into the spirit of Movember — my friend John Jones at The Manual dives into why, exactly, it’s worthwhile for us fellas.
- The chill of winter is going to be bearing down on us in short order, which is why I rounded up the best men’s parkas for GearMoose! There’s something for every price point and every style, without a doubt.
- In the way of other other men’s style essentials you need for fall, you can add stylish leather boots to your list — such as the Rhodes Dean Boots, a handsome and low-profile pair of sleek leather boots that I again covered for GearMoose. Lace up, then hit the road.
Still want something else to read? Check out thebest henley to buy for fall. Or, busy yourself reading about the all-weather boots you need in your closet (and on your feet). Still not ready to go back to work? Check out a recent edition of the Friday Read, covering the best leather boots and the best live music venues out there. They go hand-in-hand, right? OK, that’s all for now.
You see the Flint and Tinder Mill Pants pictured aobve? To me, they’re a fall style essential — and the ideal way to kick off today’s Friday Read. They’ll work for a brewery visit — or brewing your own beer. They’ll work for a day hike. They’ll work for an impromptu weekend coffee date. They’ll work anywhere you do, mostly. Who’s with me? And wh’ else is ready for the weekend? We’ve kept busy as of late on the blog, telling you all about the best new field watch to pick up for the season, while also keeping you updated on all the men’s style picks your wardrobe deserves. And if you’re anything like me, you’re likely very excited that the weather is taking a turn toward fall. For me, that means plenty of time spent in Prospect Park and enjoying rich fall beers at places like the excellent Greenpoint Beer & Ale. How about you? It’s not all fun and games, though.
As a matter of fact, by the time you check back on Monday (after you read tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week, of course), we’ll have a new look on the blog — new fonts, a new design and layout, the whole nine yards. Or at least, we’ll give it a shot. And here’s where you come in: However you feel about the new look (is it better or worse? Cool or lame!?), I’d urge you to please let me know on Twitter or via The Style Guide Facebook group. It’s a change I haven’t taken lightly — after all, it’s my name on the blog! And you and I both (likely) love the current layout. But change is afoot. So, please let me know once we get those changes rolling! And in the meantime, you can peruse the below Friday Read … and then come back for the Style Pick of the Week. Cheers!
- OK, so in the way of excellent live music, I’ve truly been floored by the passion and talent of Maggie Rogers, New York City’s own. She recently released a new music video, and you’d do well to check it out — and perhaps think about the state of pop music — via Consequence of Sound.
- If you keep up with my work on The Manual, perhaps you saw this piece on Mott & Bow and the brand’s new cashmere sweaters — they’re crisp, minimal and easy to pair with stylish M&B denim. Just in time for fall, too.
- And on to more menswear — I always try to do the best I can when it comes to rounding up fall style essentials, and if you’re still in search of a few picks to round out your wardrobe, I’d urge you to click on that hyperlink right there.
- Speaking of menswear essentials, there’s still time to add some stylish fall sneakers to your wardrobe — you’d do well to make that move right now with the New Balance x Todd Snyder Pale Ale 990V3, which I covered for GearMoose. A word of wisdom: These sneakers would wear well with the Flint and Tinder Stonewashed Jeans or the Flint and Tinder Mill Pants as seen above. Pair them up with a real pale ale on a chilly fall night for some seasonally friendly flavor … and style.
That’s going to wrap up this week’s edition of The Friday Read — again, stay posted for the best new menswear of the week tomorrow, and then hold onto your horses for a whole new edition of The Style Guide very soon. Thanks for reading!