The dependable and trail-ready shorts you need for a summer weekend.
If it’s a summer weekend — which it most definitely is — then you need a pair of functional, adventure-ready shorts. You need the Coalatree Trailhead Shorts, in fact; they’ll take you anywhere you need to go, from a music festival to a brewery and everywhere in between. Are you packing up these stylish shorts?
For me, what I’m packing and wearing this weekend has perhaps never been more critical — I’m heading down South to the revered Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival for the first time ever! The occasion, of course, is none other than a Saturday night festival concert by my favorite band (yes, THE NATIONAL) as they play tracks from their new album “I Am Easy To Find,” plus old favorites. I’m seriously so thrilled and excited to be able to make this trip; although I was hesitant in years past to head to The ‘Roo (the camping element makes things difficult), the introduction of one-day passes means I’ll be able to spend some time exploring Nashville (as I did in a previous September 2017 trip) while also looking forward to some standout music from my favorite band — and plenty others, including indie rock luminaries Hippo Campus. To follow along with all the fun, join me on Instagram, or else check out my Twitter. And for now, let’s get your own weekend started the right way — with my Friday Read picks below — cheers!
- For my friends at The Manual, I covered your new favorite chinos from Bonobos — they’re made from organic cotton, and in an agreeable & tailored fit. How can it get any better than that, right? Wear them with classic suede chukka boots and a slim navy polo any day of the week.
- So, Father’s Day is getting shockingly close — and we likely all know what it’s like to have a dad or father figure who’s tricky to shop for (especially if he’s got a more off-the-beaten-path hobby like indulging in rare whiskey). On that note, I covered the excellent George Dickel Bottled-in-Bond Whisky for GearMoose — get ready to taste the best whiskey you didn’t know you needed, in short.
- We mentioned above about the slim navy polo you need to wear with your new Bonobos chinos — well, my friends, one of the best men’s polos for summer can be found in my post about the new Wellen Hemp Polo. If you missed this post last week, read up accordingly now. Cheers!
That’s just about going to wrap up today’s Friday Read — where are you headed this weekend? Wherever your travels take you, be sure to get around in style with my guide on how to dress for summer travel. Elsewhere, read about the classic white sneakers that are also going to elevate your weekend. Until tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week, enjoy your Friday, folks!
The right sneakers for your next workout or your next summer trip.
How is your summer rolling along, friends? In need of new summer sneakers? Step into the weekend with the YORK Athletics Mfg. Henry Low Sneakers as seen above. With any luck, you can wear those stylish sneakers to either A) Get a workout in or B) start to check things off your summer to-do list, from festivals to craft beer tastings & summer travel. If you’ve attended a music festival or still have one on your radar, perhaps my music festival style tips ought to do the trick (Think: Rugged and casual, not sloppy). And if you still need more of the best gear for summer, well, click right through that hyperlink.
OK, now onto business — what’s on your weekend agenda? For me, it’s a rather packed one in Brooklyn — tonight marks the second night in a row I’ll be at my favorite music venue in NYC, the famed Brooklyn Steel! The occasion? A second show in a row by my second-favorite band, Local Natives! If you recall, I trekked to Portland earlier this spring to see this excellent indie rock band play a barnburner of a show behind the new album “Violet Street,” and I even met lead singer Taylor Rice out in PDX! And, last night was the first of a two-night run showing off those same tracks in Brooklyn, and with a varied setlist and stellar live sound, it was everything I thought it would be! So, if you want to follow along with tonight’s fun, join me on Instagram. The rest of my weekend is set to include a fun craft beer tour by bike with friends in Queens — and hopefully, some rest & some work on my Instagram! Again, if you care to join me on another social media platform, it’s appreciated. Now, I’ve got some work to do before the weekend. Cheers!
With that, I’ll be closing up shop for the weekend (well, until tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week, at least). Until then, I’d urge you to shop for your perfect summer T-shirt, or else find your new favorite pair of summer shoes. That’s all I’ve got today! Cheers.
The perfect suit to wear to a summer wedding? It might be!
Summer weekends can fill up in a hurry, can’t they? Why, this weekend, I’ve got a ticket to see iconic NYC rockers The Strokes play at perhaps my favorite music festival, the city’s own Governors Ball! In fact, it’ll be my second time seeing them in about a week — wild! (You know that if you follow me on Instagram, of course). And on top of that, I’m hosting college friends for a quick weekend trip — I sense some craft beer and lots of stories about Michigan State and The State News in the near future for yours truly. What’s on your summer weekend to-do list? If it happens to be a summer shindig, and you’re perhaps wondering what to wear to a summer wedding, well, the Taylor Stitch Telegraph Suit as pictured above is a great place to start. Or, you can always shop my picks for the best men’s gear for summer if you’ve got something more casual in mind (I.E. A summer music festival or a summer happy hour). Aside from that, if you’re simply savoring a relaxing summer weekend at home, well … enjoy it! Maybe turn on The Strokes and crack open a cold one. In the meantime, check out my favorite style reads of the week. Cheers!
OK, got all that in mind as you head to the beach, the pool or the park this weekend? If you still want one last thing to read before you clock out this week, you best check out my #OOTD on how to wear a denim shirt for summer — and a summer weekend in particular. That’s all from me today, folks!
The dependable sneakers to wear all summer long.
Looking to get acquainted with perhaps the perfect pair of summer sneakers? A pair that’s going to outfit you for anything and everything you need, from outdoor grilling to early morning training? It is Memorial Day weekend, after all. In that vein, turn toward the OluKia ‘Inana Sneakers (as seen above) this weekend — they’re some of the best new sneakers to throw on your feet. Now that you’ve got your stylish sneakers sorted out for the weekend, let’s turn toward the matter at hand — as we mentioned, it’s Memorial Day weekend! This long weekend marks the official (unofficial?) start of summer, plus a great opportunity to head to the beach or pool, open up your cabin for the season, and naturally … shop some of the best summer style essentials around. My travels won’t quite be taking me to a lake, though.
A legendary band returns to the U.K. for the first time in four years this weekend.
I’m actually heading across the pond yet again this year to take in the newly icnonic All Points East Festival, headlined by none other than world-famous rockers The Strokes! My last trip overseas took me to chilly Dublin, but I expect a warm London weekend brought in by an iconic rock band this time around. The Strokes were a seminal band for me during college and beyond, and it didn’t hurt that they defined the sound of the early-’00s NYC rock revival! It’s fitting that they’re joined at this festival by none other than post-punk rock champions Interpol (another favorite!) and … *cue the applause* Jack White’s The Raconteurs! It’s an action-packed lineup for one heck of a great price at All Points East, and the perfect chance for me to explore London (and particularly the cool Shoreditch neighborhood near the festival) for a few days. Care to follow along? Head to my Instagram or my Twitter to check out all the action. Maybe throw on some tunes by The Strokes as you do. Now, that’s all I’ve got today — I’ve got a flight to catch!
- If ever you peruse the pages of this blog, or the pages of one of my other favorite sites (GearMoose!), you might know I love recommending a stylish polo for summer. In that same vein, I wrote about the Wellen Hemp Polo, a sustainable and well-made menswear essential that’s going to keep you cool, yet sharp, as the thermostat climbs.
- Every week, we (and by we, I mean me) try to tell you about the men’s basics that aren’t so, well, basic. On that front, I can’t recommend the Taylor Stitch Heavy Bag Tee enough — I wrote about it recently here on the blog, and it’s surely worth your time if you want a dependable summer T-shirt that gets the job done.
- Style and toughness is the name of the game when it comes to the best men’s dive watches — wouldn’t you agree? It’s with that approachable aim in mind that I wrote about my favorites for my friends at The Manual. Taking on summer just got a whole lot more stylish.
So with that, it’s time to wrap up today’s edition of The Friday Read — before you head out for Memorial Day weekend, I’d advise you to check out my #OOTD (quickly!) on the best travel gear to wear for spring and summer. You won’t regret it. Until tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week, cheers!
The slim denim you need for the weekend ahead.
Are you geared up and ready for the weekend? Surely not yet, right? Or at least, not without a pair of slim light wash denim from Mott and Bow, correct? This brand makes comfortable, premium jeans that are as fit for a casual Friday (like today!) as they are for your weekend escapades — in fact, I might just be wearing mine soon as I hit the road. That’s right, I’ve got another very, very exciting trip upcoming! I’ll be heading back to Portland, Oregon (I was last there in September 2017 to see Future Islands play!) this weekend, and the occasion is just as special this time around. I absolutely love this city for its mix of old and new, with a refreshing contemporary-yet-authentic vibe (don’t believe those who compare it to “Portlandia” … all the time, at least). I’ll be heading to this great Northwest city to see one of my favorite bands, lauded California indie rockers Local Natives,play what should be a wonderful live show behind their excellent recent album “Violet Street” — it’s assuredly one of my favorites this year so far, and they always put on an astounding show! Of course, you can follow along with me on Instagram as I hit up spots like Hopworks Brewery, Blue Star Donuts and Courier Coffee (not necessarily in that order). What’s on tap for your weekend? Any suggestions for Portland must-do’s? Let me know on Twitter, and get your weekend started the right way … now!
- The good folks at Banana Republic are keeping you cool this summer with a unique new partnership: The Banana Republic Core Collection, formed in partnership with star QB Jared Goff of the Los Angeles Rams, features a prime mix of classic silhouettes (think chinos and travel-friendly blazers) merged with performance fabric — and per usual, I wrote about it for The Manual! Stay cool out there.
- If you follow me on Instagram, you know I love — LOVE — a stylish pair of leather boots. Especially a stylish pair of Taylor Stitch leather boots, right? On that note, I covered the newly launched Taylor Stitch Moto Boots for GearMoose; talk about a winning pair of investment-level footwear, yeah? No kidding.
OK, my friends. That’s all from me today, but I’ll leave you with one last guide as to what to wear this spring — hit that link for more. And for now, I’ve got a flight to catch! Cheers.
Another pair of durable, lightweight Danner boots to take you into the weekend.
Folks, it’s time — well and truly time — to step into the weekend with a pair of the best men’s boots from Danner (as seen above). To me, there’s no better way to close out the week and look forward to the weekend than with a lightweight, versatile pair of boots like the Danner Caprine Boots (aside from listening to The National and enjoying a great cup of coffee, that is). On that note, what’s on your weekend agenda? I’m very, very excited to welcome my parents back to Brooklyn for the first time in more than a year! It’ll be a fun-filled and busy weekend, highlighted by a trip to the Brooklyn Museum’s Frida Kahlo exhibit and of course, plenty of great coffee and brunch. We also plan to experience the mysterious, classic NYC production Sleep No More, an immersive storytelling experience that promises twists and turns around every corner. It’ll be a first for myself since moving to NYC! You can follow along with all the fun on my Instagram, per usual. And for your own weekend planning, I’d suggest you start with the below menswear reads and news pieces — they won’t let you down, trust me.
- Perhaps you regularly read the digital pages of GearMoose, one of my favorite sites (and not solely because I contribute there frequently!). On that note, I covered an essential spring and summer watch, the Timex Archive MK1 Watch — it’s durable, affordable and made to last. Pair it with your favorite T-shirt and a perfectly broken-in pair of chukka boots for easygoing summer style.
- If you’re not yet aware, the great folks at Everlane are doing a decidedly stellar job when it comes to crafting the best new pair of sustainable sneakers on the market — that would be the Tread by Everlane Collection, as covered by yours truly at The Manual. In fact, the great thing about these sneakers is how well they pair with the brand’s perfectly cut Oxford shirts and slim dark denim.
- In my mind, these sorts of things are always worth a reminder and a refresher — that is, you need to check out my guide to the best spring style essentials to buy now. Hopefully, these weekly entries more than get the job done when it comes to upgrading your personal style.
That’s going to close out today’s Friday Read — if you’re still searching for something to read (or for one of the best men’s T-shirts to round out your wardrobe), I’d suggest you check out this piece on your new favorite tee. Cheers!
The classic, functional sunglasses you need for summer.
Who else is looking toward the weekend in fine fashion today? Well, you can start it out by shielding your eyes from the sun with some of the best men’s sunglasses on the market, the Sunski Topekas Sunglasses. Available for only $68 at Huckberry, they’re sure to be a stone-cold classic. If it were me, I’d pick up a pair for all kinds of weekend adventures. And what exactly is on my weekend agenda? Well, for starters, I’m en route back this morning from upstate New York and the lovely town of Kingston … where I was lucky enough to see Vampire Weekend play songs off of today’s just-released album, “Father of the Bride,” last night! Talk about the opportunity of a lifetime as far as seeing an iconic indie band put on a stellar show. Kingston was also lovely — it was truly a treat to hit up spots like Keegan Ales for tasty beers pre-show! If you get the chance this weekend, I’d certainly recommend you spin that new VW album, and if ever you get to Kingston, well, you know your first stop.
Now that I’m back in Brooklyn, I’m also looking forward to the unique, innovative 37d03d Festival taking place in the borough this weekend! What’s on tap? A terrific Saturday night of genre-bending music as part of a performance collaborative led by Mr. Aaron Dessner (of The National!) and Justin Vernon (of Bon Iver legend). The resulting performance by the Dessner-Vernon outfit Big Red Machine should be nothing short of epic. In the meantime, I also plan to hit up some of the best coffee in Red Hook, including The Black Flamingo. What’s on tap for your weekend? Follow along with mine on Instagram, and be sure to check in with me on Twitter for more fun.
- Let’s kick things off with a little solar-powered bang here, in the form of the Jack Mason Solar Field Watch (as covered by yours truly at GearMoose) Perhaps you recognize Jack Mason from this blog, and I can assure you, the brand makes tough, dependable, handsome everyday watches — it’s even cooler that this one just so happens to be highly technically savvy.
- The thermostat keeps climbing, and it’s only bound to get hotter — that’s where a pair of stylish swim trunks comes into play. On that note, good news for all of us: I wrote about the best men’s swim trunks for my friends at The Manual. Surf’s up!
- Early last week, we took a deep dive into all the best new menswear you need to wear to your next happy hour — and seeing as we’re on the verge of another weekend, I figured it would be worth another share. Read all about how to get dressed for happy hour right here.
That’s going to close out today’s Friday Read, folks. Still want something else to read? Check out my piece on the best men’s denim shirt for spring. Have a great weekend, folks!