Editor’s note: Expect these posts once a week on Fridays — consider this a jumpstart on reading for your weekend downtime. Expect a mix of style and non-style content. For more entries, click here.
What a week it’s been, to say the least! I kicked things off by attending the excellent Capsule Show, an international fashion and lifestyle brand exhibition — I snapped a nice photo montage of the best brands I saw here. I also had the chance to attend a preview for a new industrial design project by Apolis launching later this year. The brand is partnering with Chivas Regal to turn excess glassware from the spirits company’s massive factories into sets of glass tumblers – very cool stuff. You can read more about the preview and catch a glimpse of yours truly (hint: navy floral shirt) in the brand’s blog post on the event. And now, I’m heading back to Michigan for the weekend to catch up with college friends. But enough about all that — onto this week’s reading (and watching).
- We start things off not with an article, but with a video. If you haven’t seen the trailer for the new James Bond film SPECTRE yet, stop what you’re doing and go watch. Suffice to say — it looks stunning. And the #menswear contained therein looks stunning as well. The classic cream dinner jacket. The chunky turtleneck. And those Tom Ford shades. Wow. While opinions on Mr. Craig have been divisive sometimes, you’ll find no such talk about that from this writer.
- On a bit calmer front, Cool Material thinks your phone is missing some apps, and they rounded up the eight best apps you don’t know (or do you?)
- The New York Times reports that Italy is planning to use its significant fashion industry clout by investing in the U.S. as a major future fashion market, to the tune of more than $20 million in investments.
- GQ.com has the scoop on what Jake Gyllenhaal has been wearing to promote his latest movie, Southpaw (hint: the dude likes the air tie a lot).
- Long Read of the Week: This week’s Friday Read, like last week’s post, eschews the Long Read portion — giving you more time to go back and watch that SPECTRE trailer.
That’s all on the Friday Read front here — but if you insist on reading something else…
- Check out a bit more on the socks you need on your feet this summer from Richer Poorer via my latest GearHungry post.