Editor’s note: Expect these posts once a week on Fridays — consider this a jumpstart on reading for your weekend downtime. Expect a mix of style and non-style content. For more entries, click here.
Now that it’s Friday, my voice has finally recovered from… wait. Wait a second. That was how last week’s Friday Read started, too… and as luck would have it, it did indeed take me all week to recover from quite the cold — and quite the fun weekend — back in my home state of Michigan. Visits like that are always special, and they give you an excellent opportunity to reconnect with your roots and see old family & friends. To say I’m thankful for where I’m from would be an understatement! And it’s great to be able to write about it through this blog — so thank you for reading, commenting, clicking and participating in giveaways; you can be sure more are to come! In fact, if I were you, I’d pay close attention to this site (and my Instagram) on Wednesday and Thursday of next week if you’d like some great fall and winter gloves from my pals at Iron & Resin. But in the meantime, don’t get too spooked this Halloween weekend and enjoy your Friday downtime!
- This was pretty big news earlier this week, so if you haven’t seen it, best read up. Outdoor retail giant REI is closing its doors on Black Friday for the first time in its history as part of its #OptOutside campaign; have to wonder if others might follow suit?
- Want to upgrade your business-casual style? The ever-reliable team at Dappered has you covered with this standout suggestion.
- Here’s one for all you beer geeks — and advertising folks, too. Digiday reports that Heineken is teaming with a select set of designers to produce special one-off pieces for gifting to top industry influencers — take, for example, an older pair of Mark McNairy saddle chukkas with a Heineken green sole. Fascinating stuff, and they’re not the only beer brand involved in similar partnerships, either!
- One last quick note on the style front — you might recall the great team at Satchel & Page (of Slim Mailbag fame) — well, the brand just launched its new Autumn/Winter line via Kickstarter, and each piece is absolutely worth your time and dollars.
- Long Read of the Week: If you’ve spent any time in New York City, you might have heard rumors about the infamous ‘Mole People,’ who dwell beneath the city in its subway tunnels — Narratively has the full scoop on that spooky story this week.
Elsewhere in the #menswear world…
- Catch up with a new release from two heritage-quality brands — Tanner Goods teamed up with Danner once again on an excellent set of special-edition seasonal boots, as I covered for VOUCH Mag.
- The great folks at American Trench do standout merino wool caps for winter (in addition to great socks), and those caps were the subject of my newest GearHungry feature.