If the impending long weekend — Memorial Day weekend, to be precise! — snuck up on you, fear not! We here at The Style Guide are coming in hot with a new #OOTD geared to help you take on the weekend (and the rest of the summer) in versatile style that works for just about any circumstance. Traveling up the coast to see friends and family? Hopping on a plane to squeeze in a quick vacation? Lounging around by your pool or patio (or an apartment rooftop)? Picks like a classic navy polo and slim grey chinos are going to work wonders no matter the situation — as are some classic-yet-casual leather Oxfords and a go-anywhere watch with a significant nautical bent. In fact, this #OOTD really embodies what Memorial Day is all about — kicking back with family and friends, recognizing all that we have to be thankful for … and looking classic while doing it. The same stylish navy polo we outline below can pull double-duty under a khaki blazer at the office — with the same slim grey chinos, mind you — and it can also work with a rugged denim jacket and tan chinos, plus leather sneakers, for a nice dash of high-low style. But first things first — let’s use it as the building block for this stylish Memorial Day outfit. Enjoy the long weekend, my friends!
- The Polo: Flint and Tinder Supima AirKnit Polo, $58 — Here’s that timeless navy polo we talked about. Laidback enough for a holiday BBQ, cleaned up enough for dinner and drinks the rest of the summer. Job well done, Flint and Tinder.
The Shoes: Sperry Gold Cup Crepe Leather Oxford, $199.95 — Leather Oxfords with the styling potential of a dress shoe and the comfort of a pair of sneakers — perfect for spending a lot of time on your feet traveling, cooking out or exploring a Memorial Day vacation hang.
- The Belt: Levi’s Premium Icon Leather Belt, $48 — As I always say, don’t sleep on accessories when traveling or dressing for a holiday weekend. The Premium Icon Leather Belt adds rugged appeal to a classic ensemble.
- The Watch: Alsta Nautoscaph II Watch, $895 — If you’re going to be spending time on the water this weekend, the durable Alsta Nautoscaph II Watch is ideal. And if not? It’s still going to look great for Memorial Day weekend.
- The Sunglasses: Raen Optics Wiley Alchemy Sunglasses, $195 — The Wiley Alchemy Sunglasses from RAEN Optics blend retro flair with modern quality — the perfect pair of shades to wear all Memorial Day weekend.
- The Finishing Touch: CIVIC Merino Boxer in Heather Black, $55 — Always an essential no matter what else might be on your packing list or in the rest of your ensemble, these comfortable, functional and sustainably made CIVIC Merino Boxers are an underrated style essential.
Wherever your Memorial Day weekend takes you, I’m convinced that you can’t go wrong with picks like a timeless navy polo and a go-anywhere pair of pants like the ever-versatile, practically essential Taylor Stitch Democratic Chinos. Casual leather Oxfords are a nice substitute for classic white sneakers, particularly if you happen to be traveling or if your activities take you somewhere a little more dressy. And on the accessories front, the small details surely matter — the Premium Icon Leather Belt is a solid choice for long weekend style, as is the nautically inspired Alsta Nautoscaph II Watch; yet again, if you happen to be heading to the water, you just can’t go wrong. I’d urge you to both pack and wear the well-made CIVIC Merino Boxers, and I’d also urge you to stock up on the 4-in-1 Essential Face Tonic from Ursa Major. Stylish shades shouldn’t be a Memorial Day weekend afterthought, either — the Wiley Alchemy Sunglasses from RAEN Optics take care of business in that regard. That’s about all you need for the weekend, right? Stylish shades, slim chinos, a classic navy polo and the right accessories. Let me know on Twitter where you plan to take this outfit for Memorial Day weekend, folks.
Thanks for reading!