Folks, who else is amped for the official (or is it technically unofficial?) start of summer? And by a show of hands, who here is taking some styling inspiration from this week’s post on what to wear for Memorial Day weekend? I hope you found those tips and tricks handy — and I hope you checked out this week’s edition of The List, featuring a whole bunch of summer style essentials to shop for Memorial Day weekend. If all of that shopping hasn’t kept you busy enough, know that we’ve got a few choice #menswear reads below to help you kick off your weekend. I personally can’t wait for some much-needed time off. I capped off a PR event at my day job on Tuesday night, and I’m positively PUMPED to head back to my home state to see my wonderful girlfriend, Laura! If you haven’t yet checked out Laura’s blog, I’d suggest you give it a read — her Playlist Friday posts are a particular favorite of mine! She also does a standout job covering women’s fashion on a budget — we all know I approve of style on a budget! As it were, I was in the Mitten last weekend for a trip with Laura’s family to Mackinaw City, and this coming weekend promises plenty of fun. On the agenda: A helping of Michigan craft beer, some easygoing backyard grilling and some exploration of Detroit — always a highlight! To keep up with all the fun, check out my Instagram, if you feel so inclined. For now, let’s get your weekend going with the below fun links. Cheers!
- We’ll kick things off with a post that’s really of the essence here — Taylor Stitch is offering up a rare pair of slim light wash denim for your shopping pleasure. Namely, the brand’s Slim Jeans in 24-Month Wash come from Cone Mills — the legendary denim mill shut down last year, and the material the brand used in these jeans is one-of-a-kind. I’d get on it ASAP!
- In the spirit of summer style, I rounded up the best summer T-shirts for men over at The Manual. Seriously, don’t doubt the style potential of a classic T-shirt — these picks are fit for layering under a rugged denim jacket or a slim blazer, or wearing all on their own. Trust me.
- I mentioned this earlier, but if you glazed over that part of the post (shame on you!), then you’d do well to shop the latest edition of The List, covering essential summer gear galore — you’ve got no excuse now.
We’re going to close up shop just a bit early today, all in the spirit of enjoying some time off this weekend. Check back for tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week, and we’ll catch ya later!
Editor’s note: Purchasing from select links in this post will result in an affiliate commission. Thanks to Huckberry for partnering on this post, and thanks for supporting the brands that support The Style Guide!
Your editor wearing a Flint and Tinder hoodie from Huckberry! You can get great deals on other standout gear from the site this weekend. Also pictured: My WP Standard Officer’s Belt and slim Abercrombie & Fitch denim. Photo: Laura Henschke.
We’re coming in hot today with quite the list of stellar deals and steals on a range of summer style essentials from our friends at Huckberry for Memorial Day weekend. Perfect timing, ehh!? If you read The Style Guide frequently, you know that your humble editor simply loves the mix of rugged, casual and functional gear offered up by Huckberry. From the Proof Performance Oxford to the WP Standard Vintage Messenger, the site really can outfit you from head to toe. So, without further ado, check out the below Memorial Day weekend sales and shop ’em now!
The Best Memorial Day Weekend Sales to Shop Now from Huckberry:
That’s of course just a brief rundown to get things rolling for you. Enjoy the weekend, check back tomorrow for our Friday Read, and cheers!
If the impending long weekend — Memorial Day weekend, to be precise! — snuck up on you, fear not! We here at The Style Guide are coming in hot with a new #OOTD geared to help you take on the weekend (and the rest of the summer) in versatile style that works for just about any circumstance. Traveling up the coast to see friends and family? Hopping on a plane to squeeze in a quick vacation? Lounging around by your pool or patio (or an apartment rooftop)? Picks like a classic navy polo and slim grey chinos are going to work wonders no matter the situation — as are some classic-yet-casual leather Oxfords and a go-anywhere watch with a significant nautical bent. In fact, this #OOTD really embodies what Memorial Day is all about — kicking back with family and friends, recognizing all that we have to be thankful for … and looking classic while doing it. The same stylish navy polo we outline below can pull double-duty under a khaki blazer at the office — with the same slim grey chinos, mind you — and it can also work with a rugged denim jacket and tan chinos, plus leather sneakers, for a nice dash of high-low style. But first things first — let’s use it as the building block for this stylish Memorial Day outfit. Enjoy the long weekend, my friends!
An #OOTD that works for plenty beyond just Memorial Day — trust me.
- The Polo: Flint and Tinder Supima AirKnit Polo, $58 — Here’s that timeless navy polo we talked about. Laidback enough for a holiday BBQ, cleaned up enough for dinner and drinks the rest of the summer. Job well done, Flint and Tinder.
The Chinos: Taylor Stitch Democratic Chinos in Ash, $98
— Classic grey chinos that are polished than jeans and not as casual as shorts — the Taylor Stitch Democratic Chinos
work well if it gets chilly out this coming weekend, too.
The Shoes: Sperry Gold Cup Crepe Leather Oxford, $199.95
— Leather Oxfords with the styling potential of a dress shoe and the comfort of a pair of sneakers — perfect for spending a lot of time on your feet traveling, cooking out or exploring a Memorial Day vacation hang.
- The Belt: Levi’s Premium Icon Leather Belt, $48 — As I always say, don’t sleep on accessories when traveling or dressing for a holiday weekend. The Premium Icon Leather Belt adds rugged appeal to a classic ensemble.
- The Watch: Alsta Nautoscaph II Watch, $895 — If you’re going to be spending time on the water this weekend, the durable Alsta Nautoscaph II Watch is ideal. And if not? It’s still going to look great for Memorial Day weekend.
- The Sunglasses: Raen Optics Wiley Alchemy Sunglasses, $195 — The Wiley Alchemy Sunglasses from RAEN Optics blend retro flair with modern quality — the perfect pair of shades to wear all Memorial Day weekend.
The Grooming Essential: Ursa Major 4-in-1 Essential Face Tonic, $26
— Keep your face in top shape to start summer with Ursa Major
— handy no matter what your plans might be this weekend.
- The Finishing Touch: CIVIC Merino Boxer in Heather Black, $55 — Always an essential no matter what else might be on your packing list or in the rest of your ensemble, these comfortable, functional and sustainably made CIVIC Merino Boxers are an underrated style essential.
Wherever your Memorial Day weekend takes you, I’m convinced that you can’t go wrong with picks like a timeless navy polo and a go-anywhere pair of pants like the ever-versatile, practically essential Taylor Stitch Democratic Chinos. Casual leather Oxfords are a nice substitute for classic white sneakers, particularly if you happen to be traveling or if your activities take you somewhere a little more dressy. And on the accessories front, the small details surely matter — the Premium Icon Leather Belt is a solid choice for long weekend style, as is the nautically inspired Alsta Nautoscaph II Watch; yet again, if you happen to be heading to the water, you just can’t go wrong. I’d urge you to both pack and wear the well-made CIVIC Merino Boxers, and I’d also urge you to stock up on the 4-in-1 Essential Face Tonic from Ursa Major. Stylish shades shouldn’t be a Memorial Day weekend afterthought, either — the Wiley Alchemy Sunglasses from RAEN Optics take care of business in that regard. That’s about all you need for the weekend, right? Stylish shades, slim chinos, a classic navy polo and the right accessories. Let me know on Twitter where you plan to take this outfit for Memorial Day weekend, folks.
Thanks for reading!