When you feel it in the air, you just know. That is to say, the sort of cool, crisp fall morning that calls out to be enjoyed with your favorite fall gear picks and a hot cup of coffee in hand as the mist rolls in — that’s quite the idllyic picture to paint, and maybe your weekend morning view looks a bit different (it does for me in Brooklyn!), but the best fall style essentials for a casual weekend can help you gear up any which way you slice it. So today, we’re going with the kind of cozy, casual gear that’ll work well for a weekend coffee date or a cool, laidback morning in equal measure — think of the rugged layers that a menswear hero like Daniel Craig wears in “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo,” for instance. That is to say, a rugged sweater from Wellen in a fittingly thick knit should wear mighty nicely with a classic chambray shirt for when it’s too cold to do anything but bundle up more. And the rest of these picks are able to go into town or host guests at home, too — take slim faded black jeans and pair them up with classic leather hiking boots to get a dose of functionality and style all at once. Of course, we’ve also got a cozy merino beanie and a tough leather watch standing tall on the accessories front. All you need for the morning is a great cup of coffee, and then in the evening, kick back with a sip of whiskey. This rugged #OOTD will do the rest. Cheers to fall!
- The Sweater: Wellen Headlands Sweater, $138 — Again, we’re going for the sort of rugged vibes you can only conjure on a chilly fall morning. This classic, vintage sweater from Wellen gets it exactly right.
- The Rugged Fall Shirt: Buffalo Jackson Harbor Chambray Shirt, $55 — Any old shirt simply won’t do. This rugged chambray shirt is perfect to throw on without overthiking it, wouldn’t you agree?
- The Denim: Flint and Tinder Stretch Selvage Jeans, $168 — There’s a difference between throwing on sweatpants (as stylish as they might be!) and then throwing on these slim selvage jeans. Flint and Tinder knows this, and gets it right.
- The Boots: Hanwag Bergler Boots, $400 — The key here is upgrading your rugged style essentials, starting with your new favorite pair of leather boots for plenty of consisten fall wear. Some of the best hiking boots you can buy right now, in fact.
- The Watch: VAER Watches Heritage Watch, $209 — This VAER Watches timepiece might just be the best casual watch to wear with this outfit — perfectly rugged in every way.
- The Fall Hat: Hill City Merino Cashmere Beanie, $48 — Pick up this exceedingly comfortable, cozy fall beanie cap to throw on for all your weekend errands — style points guaranteed.
- The Grooming Must-Have Guru Nanda Charcoal Toothpaste, $19.99 — Get a great deal on a six-pack of whitening toothpaste made with high-quality, functional charcoal and peppermint — your smile just got that much brighter.
- The Essential: Jumper Boxer Briefs, $25 — The little details, as we all know, make all the difference. And when it comes to the best boxer briefs on the market, Jumper easily takes care of business with solid, reliable basics.
Oftentimes, you needn’t overthink what to wear on a chilly fall morning or evening. In this instance, a vintage sweater from Wellen does the heavy lifting in terms of comfort and style, and it pairs up very well with arugged chambray shirt for style that’s effective, warm and laidback — all at once. To really solidfy the balance between casual, rugged and versatile, step out with a pair of slim selvage jeans, too. That is to say, this is the kind of look that can work nicely for a laidback morning or afternoon in town just as well as it can during an evening cocktail in front of the fire. Of course, should you need to get out and about, your new favorite pair of leather boots are more than ready to take on fall and winter weather. The accessories shown here also should get the job done, no matter what — take, for instance, the subtle style you get from wearing perhaps the best casual watch — it’s a surefire way to stand out quietly no matter the occasion. A merino beanie, comfortable boxer briefs and surprisingly effective charcoal toothpaste are all small details that make a big difference, too. When you take this outfit in total, I’d say it’s as ready for fall adventures as you are. In the meantime, follow along on my Instagram to see how I’m dressing for the season.