My friends, as you’ve all probably guessed, this year’s Thanksgiving is going to look quite a bit different. What once might have been a large, cross-family holiday gathering is going to be quite slimmed down, all because of, well … we all know why. That’s a major bummer, to say the very least — and perhaps it’s slimmed down your travel plans even more. So, how to dress for Thanksgiving this year? Things could either be plenty casual at home, or else safely gathered with a small group across town, or perhaps celebrated remotely — and I’ll tell you what, it’s still an occasion to (safely) celebrate.
Now that we’ve set the tone, here’s what you’re wearing. Because it’s likely cold out (or at least breezy at night), a rugged, winterized denim jacket is standing in for a blazer this year. From there, casual picks like a classic flannel shirt and the timeless, comfortable Flint and Tinder 365 Pants step right up. Leave the fancy dress shoes at home, grab some tough FRYE leather boots and the the best duffel bag for a weekend getaway (if you’re taking a quick drive out of town), then pour up a dram of The Macallan whiskey. There’s still time to prepare and time to celebrate (again, safely!), and this ensemble will get you heading in the right direction in no time.
- The Jacket: Line of Trade Montana Winterized Denim Jacket, $140 — Keep it casual and rugged at home and on the road with a winterized denim jacket from Bespoke Post. Take it from me: This is one of the best denim jackets you can snap up now (and wear even as it gets colder).
- The Shirt: Gitman Vintage Cotton Tweed Check Shirt, $220 — This shirt might be tricky to pull off in a warmer climate (crank up the A/C!), but to me, this classic flannel shirt screams instantly iconic Thanksgiving style. Even if you’re spending the day at home, it pays off to look good, right?
- The Pants: Flint and Tinder 365 Pants, $98 — An ever-reliable pick-up from Huckberry, the famed Flint and Tinder 365 Pants are some of the best pants for the holidays, what with plenty of comfort and stretch built right in (note that they’re available in Slim and Straight fits).
- The Boots: FRYE Bowery Moc Lace-Up Boots, $358 — Invest in some of the best leather boots right now, then be rewarded as you wear ’em all through the holidays (snowy weather included). When you need to slip them off, stylish socks come into play (more on that below, of course).
- The Watch: Timex + Todd Snyder Art Deco Milano Watch, $128 — Yes indeed, we’re going with one of the best leather watches on the market here from Timex + Todd Snyder, one that’s both dressy and yet laidback enough to wear with a denim jacket. It’s sure to draw compliments from anyone you encounter this Thanksgiving.
- The Belt: Red Wing Heritage Pioneer Belt, $89 — To wear with your FRYE leather boots, get a rugged leather belt that’s just sharp enough for the occasion.
- The Socks: American Trench Color Pop Socks, $19.50 — You can always slide into slippers if you’re at home, but if not, you’re going to want some stylish socks that are in good shape (no holes!). These new American Trench socks are cool, comfortable and effective.
- The Grooming Must-Have:Huron Face Lotion, $15 — The holidays can be rough on your face, what with dry, blustery air and an abundance of desserts (and beverages). Combat that with some of the best face lotion from Huron.
- The Getaway Bag: Boarding Pass NYC “Work Hard, Play Hard” Duffel, $79 — Before you hit the road, stock up on the best duffel bag for a weekend getaway. Be sure to use the code BEAUKNOWS to get $10 off any purchase over $70 (note the price of this bag!).
- The Holiday Sipper: The Macallan Double Cask 12 Years Old, $29.99 via Drizly — Get a surprisingly affordable deal on a refined whiskey for the holidays, a fine sipping Scotch that could be a perfect host gift (or a sipper for yourself at home).
As I said, Thanksgiving will be plenty different this year, but again, that’s no excuse to get sloppy. To wit: That Line of Trade denim jacket is as cool and functional a blazer replacement as you’re apt to find, and it wears surprisingly well atop a classic flannel shirt when the weather takes a turn for the worse. It’s all held together by some of the best pants for the holidays, a casual pair from Huckberry with just enough polish and stretch to meet the varied demands of the day.
Naturally, a pair of the best leather boots is a fall must-have — no matter what, and especially if you’ve got to dash through some inclement weather to fill up at your local brewery. The combination all plays well with one of the best leather watches from a reliable standby brand in Timex + Todd Snyder. Your accessories are easily on-point, thanks to American Trench socks and a rugged leather belt, but lest we forget, you’ve got to keep your face in shape with some of the best face lotion (it’s the little things, folks). Even if just a quick getaway is in the works, be sure to A) Wear a mask and B) pack the best duffel bag for a weekend getaway from Boarding Pass NYC (remember that discount code, BEAUKNOWS, on orders over $70!). Last but assuredly not least? Well, with all of that in mind, pour yourself (or at least gift your host with) The Macallan whiskey to celebrate the day responsibly. Cheers, my friends.