Thanks for swinging by for the very first #OOTD of 2021, if you can believe it. It feels pretty bizarre to be typing out that date still, doesn’t it? But 2021 hopefully signals brighter days ahead in many facets, chief among them starting the year healthy and in style (naturally). That’s what we’ll focus on throughout today’s ensemble, with a hearty focus on how to wear classic men’s style essentials from some of your favorite brands. Consider these the tips and tricks you need to start a new year off right, and then keep it rolling from winter into spring (as far off as it might be). These are picks you’ll want to wear, well, just about anywhere (you’ll see why in a bit).
The best new men’s gear will come in handy when it comes time to tackle winter weather, yet some of the more classic pieces shown here can be mixed and matched across the seasons. That’s what it’s all about, right? Right. So, you’ll recognize silhouettes you know and love, like your new favorite Oxford shirt, teamed up with classic leather chukka boots and your new favorite peacoat. That’s just a brief start, though. The full look is below — and to see how I’m dressing this winter, you can (and should!) give me a follow on Instagram. Here’s to a stylish 2021!
- The Jacket: Buck Mason Navy Melton Admiral Peacoat, $345 — Leave the classic peacoat in the hands of Buck Mason, and get ready to step out with comfort and timeless looks at the forefront.
- The Sweater: Todd Snyder Cashmere Crewneck Sweater in Dark Honey, $298 — The new year is nothing if not the time to splurge on a handsome sweater in a rich color, the kind you’ll have for a long, long time.
- The Oxford Shirt: Wills Brushed Cotton Oxford Shirt, $128 — Invest in one of the best Oxford shirts for men, made from perfectly seasonal fabric (the kind you can even rock over a T-shirt as a light spring and fall layer this year).
- The Dark Denim: Flint and Tinder All-American Stretch Denim, $128 — Mix it up ever-so-slightly with a pair of faded jeans that play nicely off your classic navy peacoat.
- The Chukka Boots: FRYE Paul Chukka Boots, $298 — These classic leather chukka boots are as good as it gets if you want a reliable, everyday pair you can wear for seasons (and years) to come. Invest wisely.
- The Watch: Form-Function-Form Leather Weekender, $108 — A classic leather watch with a crisp and versatile dial is a perfect menswear move to start the new year.
- The Hat: Upstate Stock American Mohair Beanie, $32 — When inclement winter weather hits, I know just the thing you need: An American-made beanie cap, of course.
- The Everyday Carry: Standard Issue Leather Messenger Bag, $275 — Your focus on classic menswear can extend even to your stylish leather messenger bag. This one — from Huckberry’s new accessories line — takes the cake, folks.
Folks, doesn’t this ensemble have just about everything you need to take on the days ahead this winter and beyond? To me, it all starts with an utterly classic peacoat, the kind that’s going to carry you through cold and blustery winter days in style. A great peacoat is nothing without a supporting ensemble however, and that’s where pieces like a stylish cashmere sweater come into play — the color is rich and eye-catching, and it’ll perfectly play off the classic Oxford shirt shown above (grey, navy and honey — think about it!). Of course, the hits keep coming. An expertly faded pair of slim blue jeans helps this outfit stay fresh and comfortable, yet versatile. To me, these are the kind of picks you can wear out and about on a weekend (safely, of course!), or you can take this #OOTD around to the office.
It gets better, though: A classic leather watch works mighty well with, you guessed it, classic leather chukka boots from a trusted heritage brand. Right on down to the small details, including your stylish leather messenger bag and your American-made beanie cap, it’s all taken care of. You’re going to look great, you’re going to get where you need to go, and you’re going to have invested in nothing but the very best to start off this year. Cheers, my friends!