Editor’s note: Expect these posts once a week on Fridays — consider this a jumpstart on reading for your weekend downtime. Expect a mix of style and non-style content. For more entries, click here.
If your plans last night didn’t involve seeing the latest James Bond movie (as mine did), I would highly recommend you get yourself to a theater right this very second. Yes, not even this post should keep you from checking it out. Opinions on the film have actually been mixed from major outlets, but your friendly style expert and massive James Bond fan recommends you go see it, as much for the excellent menswear as for the film itself. It’s also been a busy and exciting week in other areas, too — I had the chance to see the great indie band Mainland on Monday night (recent openers for Atlas Genius), and they’re also a group I’d recommend checking out just as soon as you can. And that little intro brings us, as always, quite comfortably to this week’s edition of the Friday Read. After you, Mr. Bond…
- Over at GQ, one writer and fan reflects on the moment his opinion of the series changed completely — and what brought him back (hint: It was the terrific last Bond installment, Skyfall).
- In one of the biggest American menswear business moves in recent memory, American Eagle announced this week that it acquired famed designer Todd Snyder’s offshoot, collegiate-centric company Tailgate Clothing; while Snyder’s brand will continue to operate separately, he’ll join AE as an executive VP — that’s a change of pace from 007 news, ehh?
- My pal Barron at Effortless Gent covers off on how to choose the right watch for your outfit, a big key when getting dressed every day.
- Style Notes of the Week: While this small space is normally reserved for a great long read, today we’re calling your attention to new great new collaboration drops — Brooklyn-based sneaker brand GREATS (a favorite of yours truly) is teaming with NYC menswear designers Orley on a three new chukka sneakers. And speaking of sneakers, the folks behind heritage-focused Tanner Goods and P.F. Flyers just released a stunning update to the classic Center Hi silhouette.
Got an extra minute or two?
- Upgrade your fall outerwear game with a slim-fit, warm and stylish quilted down coat from the terrific folks at JACHS NY — read more on it via my latest post for GearHungry.