Editor’s note: Expect these posts once a week on Fridays — consider this a jumpstart on reading for your weekend downtime. Expect a mix of style and non-style content. For more entries, click here.
It seems as if it was just last Friday evening and I was standing in the crowd jamming out to Lucius in Central Park — yet, here we are with a brand-new edition of the Friday Read. The past weekend — and the last few days — have been a nice introduction to fall; if you don’t have a Fall Style Wish List made yet, I’d advise you do so now. It’s everyone’s favorite time of the year, right?It’s a time for chukka boots, chambray shirts, thick cardigans — you name it, it’s nearly fair game. If I were you, I’d stick around for Monday’s post on … well, we won’t give it all away just yet. If fall travel is in the works, don’t forget that durable weekender bag. And like most weekends, I hope you’ve got your outfit for a football tailgate — seriously, it makes a difference. I’ll be cheering on my Michigan State Spartans as they take on Indiana, and I’ll be exploring the city with my good friend Ian Kullgren, himself a proud Spartan. It was nice to visit with Ian in Washington, D.C. in May, and I expect just as great of a time checking out the city. Everything from Central Park to favorite spots off the beaten path, like the excellent Berg’n in Brooklyn, are on the agenda. Oh, and about that football game — Go Green! Before we get to kickoff though, let’s start the weekend with the best in menswear — and keep your eye on the blog tomorrow for a special post with my friends at US Authentic; if you want to talk fall, one of the brand’s leather jackets is the way to go. (Hint: It’s part of the Style Pick of the Week series).
- While we’re talking all things fall style, the good folks at Esquire picked out the week’s best style upgrades — you might recognize a certain shirt from a certain #OOTD published this week on the blog…
- A standout watch is the perfect finishing touch when it comes to your ensemble, and us lucky watch aficionados might have just stumbled onto the perfect one. Throne Watches just launched the Throne 2.0, a super-clean yet classic chronograph assembled from Swiss movements. The overall look is stellar — crisp enough for dress situations, versatile enough for casual wear. Truly, you should get your hands on the Throne 2.0 soon (oh, and the sub-$600 price tag isn’t bad, either!)
- If — like me — you’ve been eagerly perusing GAP’s site for news of the GQ for GAP Collection, you’re in for a treat! If you haven’t seen it already, that is. The new GQ for GAP Collection is live — snap it up quick. A few of those pieces, including that excellent Michael Bastian blazer, look mighty tempting.
- Lastly in the world of new collection launches as we enter the stellar fall season, Levi’s Vintage Clothing — the premium, workwear-inspired offshoot of Levi’s — just launched a truly great seasonal offering. It’s focused in part on NYC’s hallowed 9th Street Exhibition, a downtown location that served as a backdrop through the 50s for tons of artistic expression — I’m no art history buff, but the resulting menswear is pretty neat, including some excellent 1954 501 Jeans. Good stuff!
Last but not least — one more piece of menswear for y’all:
- Remember taking summer vacations out West, anyone? Maybe to a national park? Eddie Bauer evokes that sense of nostalgia nicely with its latest launch — a revamp of the brand’s iconic 1936 Skyliner Jacket, this time done up in reversible Pendleton wool patterns that pay tribute to the national parks. It’s a pretty neat feature, to say the least. You can read more about it via my latest post on The Manual, and you can look for more details on the jacket in the coming weeks on my Instagram (wink, wink).
Enjoy the weekend, and follow along with all things menswear over on Twitter — ’til the Style Pick of the Week post,