Editor’s note: Expect these posts once a week on Fridays — consider this a jumpstart on reading for your weekend downtime. Expect a mix of style and non-style content. For more entries, click here.
As this week comes to a close, I’m looking forward to some rest, some recovery, the chance to kick a cold — and oh yes, a trip back to Grand Rapids, Mich., to see some great college friends! It’ll be my second time in Michigan in about three weeks, and it’s still great to get back. The weekend should hopefully be a prime chance to check out some excellent spots around Beer City U.S.A. Of course, I’ll be bringing along some stylish cold-weather gear from Iron & Resin, JACHS NY and a nice workshirt from the new Reef x H.D. Lee Shelter Supply collab (you might recognize the name as Lee Jeans). As if things weren’t enough of a whirlwind, the trip caps off an exciting week of prep (and execution) for Timberland’s Spring 2016 Press Preview. Some great media (including Megan Collins of Style Girlfriend) and talented bloggers who I’m fortunate enough to call friends came through to preview the brand’s newest offering, so that was quite exciting. As always though, there’s only so much space for my ramblings in the Friday Read — and we’ll leave the rest of it to some nice news from the world of #menswear. Thanks for reading!
- While not a traditional news story per se, the following is indeed newsworthy — Bespoke Post reintroduced its ever-popular Weekender Box, featuring an ultra-affordable and durable bag perfect for your weekend getaways (a heads-up that if you’re not a member, you’ll have to create an account — which I suggest you do!). Some other terrific travel bag picks are listed here.
- TAG Heuer joined the litany of brands offering smartwatches this past week, but according to the New York Times, the brand is using some serious hardware from Google and Intel to position itself as a true competitor to the Apple Watch in terms of functionality.
- Dappered joins the ranks of yet another Friday Read — does anybody do what they do as well as … they do? Of note, the site’s $1,500 Wardrobe series is back; access the Shirts and Sweaters rundown at that link.
- Style Notes of the Week: As mentioned above, there’s yet another collab launching with great fall gear that you should keep your eye out for. Although you might not have heard of the West Coast-based surfwear company, Reef could be angling for some serious space in your closet with a seven-piece fall & winter essentials Holiday capsule with H.D. Lee Shelter Supply.
What else did you miss (or want to re-read) in the world of men’s style?
- If you’re in the market for a new watch, you’re going to like this next one — Vierra Watches is launching a Kickstarter next week with four watches available for pre-funding at under $60 a pop. Now, that’s a deal!