The right way to dress for winter — the Proof Storm Shield Parka.
Alright, I’m ready for a stylish winter weekend — how about you? More importantly, how are you dressing for the nasty weather that seems to be blanketing the country right now? If I were you, I’d layer up with the Proof Storm Shield Jacket — the team at Proof makes gear with versatiliy, mobility & performance in mind, so that’s a great way to take on the season. From the Primaloft Gold insulation to the ease of packing it up, the Proof Storm Shield Jacket just works. OK, we’ve got that out of the way. It’s now time to look back at the latest and greatest men’s style news of the week — agreed? We’re about halfway through January, so I’d love to hear how your men’s style resolutions are holding up. It’s all about refreshing and upgrading the basics you know and love — pieces like the classic flannel shirt or a timeless henley — in a new way for the new year.
RAnd we’re already off and running in matters aside from menswear, too. Tonight, I’m heading to my favorite venue in the city (that’d be Brooklyn Steel) to see Nashville singer-songwriter Rayland Baxter play what promises to be a soulful, moving show in East Williamsburg. Have any more suggestions for weekend listening? Feel free to let me know on Twitter — and in the meantime, let’s get on with the Friday Read! Cheers.
- Now, this post ran a few weeks ago, but it’s worth revisting — Esquire.com is giving you the full scoop on the best men’s duffle bag to take with you anywhere and everywhere. In short, it’s a convertible duffle that goes from the gym to the office to the road. Of course, you can also view more essential men’s travel gear elsewhere on the site — happy hunting!
- Let’s take a quick step back for a second — a proper #FlashbackFriday, if you will. While the rest of us deal with sleet and snow, perhaps you find yourself in a more temperate climate. If that’s the case, I’d imagine you’re sick of reading about the best men’s winter coats and want something a little more suited to warm weather? In that case, check out this #OOTD on the best way to wear sneakers now. Bingo.
- There are regular pairs of boots, and then there are the sort of rugged men’s boots you invest in — ones that get better over time. A few weeks back, I wrote all about how Nick’s Boots are the boots you should buy now. You can find out why at The Manual.
Once again, thanks for tuning into this edition of the Friday Read. If you still find yourself on the hunt for something to read or something to wear (or both), I’d point you toward learning more about this rugged winter cardigan from Faherty Brand. Looking for something a bit more refined? Well, then — the Bond Peacoat from Billy Reid (as seen in our Style Pick of the Week series) is the way to go. OK, that’s all I’ve got today. Stay stylish!
Some of the best men’s boots money can buy — seriously.
Ladies and gentlemen, loyal Style Guide readers, … happy Friday. To start things off, let’s talk about the amazing Viberg Service Boots
as shown above, perhaps one of the best pairs of men’s leather boots
on the market… and maybe, on the planet?? That’s the case, for me. And if you follow me on Instagram
, you know I love my pair of Viberg boots
. Now, to business. We’re getting very close to Christmas — have you taken care of your shopping? If not, we’ll have you set with some exceptional menswear gifting picks next week. In the meantime, we’re coming off a busy week on the homefront — among this week’s highlights, I was thrilled to once again see excellent Australian rock band Gang of Youths
play in New York City at the famed Irving Plaza! Rock music is alive and well thanks to those guys. Elsewhere, we talked about one of the best men’s shirt jackets
to buy right now, and we also helped you in terms of how to dress for your next business meeting. Now, we’re heading into the weekend, and our next weekly men’s style roundup. OK, that’s all for now — enjoy!
- Do you have a favorite album of 2018? Maybe? Maybe not? If you do, you might find this list by Consequence of Sound interesting, covering the best albums of 2018. From Cat Power to Beach House to Mitski, there are some transcendent selections in the list. Feel like joining the debate? Let me know on Twitter. Need something on which to listen to your favorite album? Try this stylish record player or this excellent portable Bluetooth speaker.
- Sometimes, all you need to make your outfit go from good to great is a pair of the best men’s leather boots — like the CAT Footwear Thinsulate Boots, as I covered for GearMoose. Now, get out there and get to work.
- To me, it’s more than worth bringing this crucial post to your attention again. Namely, I recently wrote about how to get a discount on Outerknown menswear — in this piece on men’s style essentials, in fact. The skinny: Just use the code STYLEGUIDE25 to get 25 percent off full-priced gear at Outerknown. That’s it! Happy shopping.
- In the way of rugged winter gear, it’s also worth considering this men’s style guide I wrote for The Manual covering my favorite fall picks from Filson. Plenty of choices for everyone, right?
Ready for the weekend? Heading to your favorite brewery? Here’s what to wear to the bar tonight. Looking for something else to read? Or wear? Here’s the best men’s sweater to buy now. That’s going to wrap it up today — thanks for reading!
It’s the end of a long week — treat yourself to some whiskey, and to a new whiskey glass in the process
OK, my friends. If you’re in the same boat as me, perhaps you might enjoy a nice, neat pour of a premium spirit in one of the best whiskey glasses on the market to end your Friday. How about it? The good news is, you can pick up many more of those unique Whiskey Peaks glasses as shown above at Huckberry. Now, to the rest of today’s Friday Read. We’ve kept plenty busy here to close out November — I spent the Thanksgiving holiday with my family in warm, sunny and relaxing Florida, enjoying a Jai Alai IPA and watching lots of football (you might have picked up on that via my Instagram). At any rate, it was a much-needed, very refreshing break from writing a ton about, yes, winter style essentials aplenty. Like the outfit you need to wear to your favorite brewery this weekend. And the best flannel shirt to buy now. Again, the work never stops. However!
It’ll come to a brief respite this afternoon, as I head to the lovely town of Hudson, New York (you might remeber it from a previous upstate winter getaway) to support a great cause and see some amazing live music. Yes indeed, today is the start of the Rally in the Valley, a full weekend of education and activism supporting Planned Parenthood in upstate New York. Along with community workshops and panel discussions, it’s kicked off on Friday night with a concert by none other than indie rock luminaries The National — my heroes and my forever band! Guitarist Aaron Dessner lives not too far from Hudson, and I’ve been very lucky to see them play two album release shows last summer (at the incredible Basilica Hudson). This time around, I’m more excited than ever for an intimate show at Hudson Hall. It’s going to be an amazing night for an amazing cause — and the rest of the weekend shouldn’t disappoint! I plan to hit up MOTO Coffee for a cup or two (or more) of delicious coffee, and I’m also thrilled to stay at Rivertown Lodge, complete with idyllic accomodations aplenty (say that five times fasts). For now though, we’ve got more menswear and craft beer to discuss. Read on!
- We start this portion of today’s Friday Read by talking about a gift for her — your partner, your spouse or your girlfriend. And this gift comes from one of my favorite online retailers, Bespoke Post. They make all kinds of menswear essentials (and I know we all love a great Bespoke Post Box), but the recently lauched Soothe Box (it’s just $55!) is one-of-a-kind, and an ideal way to put some care & thought into the holiday season. From a lovely candle to a clay face mask to body scrub, these are the essentials she deserves — get your shopping done early.
- On the craft beer front, I was fortunate enough last week to try the excellent Spruce Tip IPA from Upslope Brewing. This Colorado-based, Certified B Corporation has put a little something extra into this beer — besides the hand-picked spruce tips, that is. They work with organizations like Leave No Trace to produce beer that’s environmentally friendly — and delicious, to boot. Heck, that’s not all: The Spruce Tip IPA is particularly great out of a can.
- Staying sharp while on the road has arguably never been more important than right now — that’s why I wrote about the best men’s winter travel essentials over at The Manual! It features some gear picks from brands you know and love, including the Proof Rover Pants, stylish Darn Tough socks and even a rugged Jack Mason watch. Can’t get any better than that.
Also in the way of holiday-centric upgrades, I wrote about all of the best men’s grooming gifts
for GearMoose. You know, the gifts to give, well, any guy on your list who could use better skin care. So, your dad, your brother, your father-in-law … you catch my drift.
That’s going to close out today’s Friday Read. Did you find what you were looking for? Maybe stay on the site if not — we’ll tell you all about the best menswear to buy on sale this weekend. We’ll also get you outfitted with the perfect oufit to wear for a night in, because even laidback nights deserve proper style. Again, hopefully, you find what you need. Stay tuned for tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week, and have a great weekend!
Simply gorgeous boots that pack a punch when it comes to winter functionality.
Lately as we kick off every Friday Read — our weekly recap of the things to know in men’s style — we’ve been spotlighting a standout series of winter style essentials. That continues today with the beautiful, investment-worthy Yuketen Maine Guide Boots, exclusive to our pals at Huckberry. There’s really not a pair of rugged leather boots quite like these ones, what with their handmade construction, an eight-layer midsole and the use of Horween leather. Again, the Yuketen Maine Guide Boots belong on your list of fall weekend essentials. As it were, that’s why we’re here today. I’m coming off a weekend to remember back in my home state of Michigan, deep in the woods near Big Rapids, celebrating my best friend Mr. Chris Spyke’s bachelor party! A rustic log cabin and plenty of beer & chicken wings proved the perfect way to acknowledge the occasion (and if you follow me on Instagram, maybe you saw I broke out my Huckberry Duck Boots)! At any rate, it was an amazing and refreshing weekend deep in the Michigan wilderness, complete with a light snowfall — what could be more perfect? For now, I’ve turned my attention back here to Brooklyn. This weekend, I hope to visit one of my favorite menswear shops, the well-appointed Modern Anthology, and I’m also looking forward to venturing out to UpNorth, a Canadian-themed bar in Bushwick (this cold weather is really getting into me). What’s on your weekend agenda? Besides checking out the below Friday Read, shopping for some men’s style essentials & reading our Style Pick of the Week? Get it all started here. Thanks for reading!
It’s official — the fleece jacket is back, and better than ever. When it comes to cozy, essential casual style — especially for the holiday season — you’d do worse than to read my roundup of the best fleece jackets
over at GearMoose.
- Our friends at Esquire, ever focused on refinement for the modern man, tell you how to host a party this winter. Not a pregame, a real party. I hope to try out that pre-batched Manhattan recipe soon!
Is there any season in which a pair of casual blue jeans
won’t work? Nope, there’s truly not. That’s why I’m sharing once again my take on a new favorite pair of jeans
from my pals at Huckberry. They’re laidback, they’re comfortable, and they’ll work as readily at Thanksgiving dinner as they will on a weekend coffee date. Cheers!
I talk often about the best men’s style essentials, especially for transitional weather. In that same vein, you won’t misstep if you read my guide to the best men’s winter boots
, as compiled for The Manual.
OK, that’s going to give you the go-ahead to get started on your weekend. Looking for one last thing to read before you go? Check out this go-to fall and winter layer from Buffalo Jackson. Better yet, get yourself a new field watch to wear it with. Alright, I’ll leave you to it — have a great weekend!
Does it feel strange to be barreling through September and looking toward (gulp) October? It seems to me like it was just yesterday we were talking about the best menswear to close out summer, doesn’t it? At any rate, we’re well and truly in full-on fall prep mode. I’ve got a couple exciting early fall men’s style features in the works for GearMoose and The Manual for which I’m really PUMPED about (yes, PUMPED). More on that soon. And in the meantime, I’m very much looking forward to taking an evening flight back to Pure Michigan to see my lovely fiancée Laura. We’ve got a relaxing weekend on tap, one no doubt fueled by iced coffee and perhaps a trip to the new Founders Brewing Detroit Taproom — what about you? If you need to shop for fall style essentials, this blog has you covered. If you simply want to find your new favorite pair of denim, again, your trusty friends at The Style Guide are here to help. And if you’re just looking for something to read or peruse? Again, check out the latest Friday Read. Thanks for being along for the ride!
- My buddies at The Manual always keep things sharp and in line when it comes to your everyday carry essentials — and their post on the best men’s wallets is no different. Keeping your cards handy no matter what will only help you this fall — trust me on that.
- Last but not least, here’s a bit of music news for you — if you haven’t yet checked out the emotive, powerful indie rock being put out by Lindsey Jordan in Snail Mail, well, here’s my recommendation. Simply put, Snail Mail’s debut album, “Lush,” is just excellent. In fact, you can hear it coming to a venue near you soon — Snail Mail just extended their tour recently. Get on board, plug in and rock out.
And that, ladies and gentlemen, brings us to the conclusion of another Friday Read. You can be sure we’re gearing up for a great weekend — and a great Style Pick of the Week tomorrow, no less. Still in need of something to read? This #OOTD shows you how to wear a chambray shirt. Heading to a weekend rock concert? Dress like this. OK, folks — that’s all I’ve got. Cheers!
It’s with a much-needed weekend ahead of me that I’m writing today’s Style Guide missive in our ongoing Friday Read series — perhaps you feel the same way? We’re closing out an incredibly busy week on the #menswear front in NYC, including two whirlwind days for yours truly at style trade shows like Liberty Fashion & Lifestyle Fairs and Capsule Show. This week’s schedule also included a stop to view the contemporary and slightly edgier mix of brands found at MAN-WOMAN show (think tried-and-true favorites like Apolis and upstart brands like Alps & Meters — as seen in this Midwest fall style post).
At any rate, it was great to catch up with brands familiar and unfamiliar, many of whom you see regularly on this blog — from the standout sneaker makers at SeaVees to perennial Style Guide favorite Frank and Oak. I got around in style with my Timex x Todd Snyder Military Watch and made sure to rock some stylish men’s sunglasses, too. And as it were, that busy week of trade show action capped off an even busier weekend, if you can believe it. Incredibly and unexpectedly, I had the chance to see my favorite band, indie rockers The National, play not one, but two breathtaking shows in the small upstate town of Hudson last weekend. They debuted tracks off their upcoming new album, “Sleep Well Beast,” and I can assuredly say after hearing it twice that it’s on track to be one of the year’s best — no joke. I won’t give away too much, but you can read an excellent write-up at Vinyl Me, Please of the two emotional, powerful shows at converted factory Basilica Hudson. In short, I was so very glad I went — no regrets at all! With that being said, I’m very much looking forward to some much-needed downtime this weekend — and on that note, I’m going to leave you with today’s #menswear news. Happy reading, enjoy the weekend and keep up with my Brooklyn explorations over on Instagram.
- We’ll start with the menswear world here — and specifically, the world of stylish men’s dress shoes. Among American purveyors of your favorite dress shoes, Allen Edmonds has got to rank high on the list — right? This week, CEO Paul Grangaard announced he’ll be assuming an advisory role as longtime industry vet Malcolm Robinson joins the brand’s parent company as president of its men’s and international divisions. I, for one, am excited to see where the brand continues to go — after checking out the Allen Edmonds Fall 2017 line last month, I can tell you that the brand has some great product — including plenty of stylish men’s boots — on the way this next season.
Upgrading your everyday carry is something we talk about frequently here on The Style Guide — and it’s with that in mind that I’m recommending you pick up the Grovemade Walnut and Leather iPhone Case
via my latest GearMoose feature. Ehh?
- Last but surely not least, it’s imperative given my *ahem* “job” as editor of The Style Guide that I direct you to the latest blog series here, called The List, chronicling the best new men’s gear to buy this week, this month … heck, this year? Happy shopping!
OK, loyal readers — we’re closing up shop early today! Have a great weekend, join us for tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week from site favorites Mott and Bow, and we’ll catch you on Monday.
Thanks for reading!
I don’t know about you, but I’m happy to report that today’s Friday Read on The Style Guide is coming to you from sunny Florida, where I’m getting some much-needed R&R (and a few Coronas) this weekend. Last time around, I headed to Fort Myers to celebrate a Florida Christmas, and I’m just as excited to be back now. You can, of course, look for a full travel style post incoming on Monday and in the meantime, stick around for a few choice #menswear news items below. Before we get going, layer up for the weekend with the Huckberry Explorer’s Shirt — as profiled on this site last week, in fact. And if you happen to be in a warmer climate, get acquainted with how to wear you new favorite polo this spring. Oh, and you’d do well to catch up with everything you missed on the blog this week, including another entry in our #OOTD series. For, follow along with the warm-weather style gear and my Florida adventures as they happen via Instagram and Twitter. Cheers!
Esteemed Esquire style editor Matthew Marden offered up a nice quick-hit look at his fashion week trip to Europe
to cover the world of global fashion — and specifically, brands showing both their men’s and women’s collections at once. What does this mean for all of us across the pond? Marden argues that big-ticket brands who show both men’s and women’s collections at the same time — giants like Burberry — create a clear and cohesive vision across an entire brand. That’s quite neat, when you think about it — ehh?
This was alluded to above, but you best listen up now — the Huckberry Explorer’s Shirt
is the tough shirt — and shirt-jacket — you need as the weather turns south this month. Pick it up in the crisp Natural colorway, wear it with slim olive chinos and durable leather boots
, and call it a day (or rather, get out and have some adventures!).
- Need a new watch? Of course you do. And Gear Patrol argues that should buy just one — only one of these five investment-worthy watches and wear it all the time, in each and every style situation. If a stainless steel dive watch isn’t necessarily your thing, check out my picks for the best men’s leather watches.
- While we’re on the topic of new #menswear — need a new spring bag? The folks at Timbuk2 just might have you sorted out. What’s that, you say? Tomorrow (that’s March 11th), the brand is launching a new bag collaboration with San Francisco street artist Apexer as part of the brand’s Future Shapers campaign. The campaign is designed to showcase unique individuals who drive forward change in their hometowns — like Apexer, an artist with a history of work across the globe and a commitment to San Francisco that’s echoed by the fact that the run of bags is sewn in the city’s Mission District. The line includes a classic messenger bag, a tuck pack and a compact roll-top bag called the Mini Prospect Pack, all done up in a unique kaleidoscope and textile pattern.
- And lastly — I had a heck of a fun time putting together a full list of the best men’s denim jeans for GearMoose. I think you’ll recognize quite a few picks on that rundown, that’s for sure.
Last but not least — one more #menswear item for you …
- Given that the weather has been so up-and-down, I’d wager you’re going to need a great spring jacket — that’s why I rounded up the best men’s spring outerwear last week on The Manual. Give it a read, suit up and get ready!
OK, we’re wrapped up for the week now — get out there and have some fun this weekend!