Editor’s note: Expect these posts once a week on Fridays — consider this a jumpstart on reading for your weekend downtime. Expect a mix of style and non-style content. For more entries, click here.
We’re now just a week out from Christmas — just as with last week, it’s tough to believe another seven days have flown by. Have you sorted out your Christmas outfit? Here’s one casual suggestion. Know what to get your wife, girlfriend, mom or sister? There’s a gift guide for that. And do you have your own menswear holiday wish list covered? I hope so! If not, you best get working away. Even with all of my own holiday prep, I was still fortunate enough to spend Thursday evening contributing to a good cause (and enjoying some cocktails!) with two good friends, the lovely Lauren Gould of Brooklyn blog The Marcy Stop, and her equally lovely co-host, Erica Lavelanet of The Fashion Philosophy.
The two organized a holiday fundraiser, cocktail party and clothing drive at Brooklyn’s Blind Barber, with proceeds benefitting the Bowery Mission and spare coats being collected just in time for the cold weather. It was quite the fun night, and I’m definitely thankful to cross paths with some great people through the course of my day job and blogging! I’m certainly hoping to continue that in the new year. But now’s not the time for resolutions — instead, let’s kick off the weekend with a fresh edition of the Friday Read.
- Just in time for The Force Awakens, Esquire examines exactly why the space ships in Star Wars don’t make any sense — and it’s pretty enlightening.
- An unseasonably warm past few months has left retailers struggling to sell cold-weather gear, according to the New York Times — and that’s hit retailers like J. Crew especially hard.
- Dappered’s Best Bets for December just might be the best thing to peruse if you’re still looking for a gift for you dad, brother or best bud — or if you just want to gift yourself.
- Style Note of the Week: While this spot has normally been reserved for a great long read, it’s worth pointing out instead this week that perennial Style Guide sock favorite Richer Poorer has a new addition to its roster. The brand is now doing T-shirts — they’re made from garment-dyed organic cotton and constructed in Los Angeles, and they look to be great quality. Stay tuned for more on those early next year!
If the weekend still hasn’t started for you yet, read on…
- Upgrade one of the most basic items you carry every day — your white earbuds — with something a little more premium. I’d recommend Woodbuds, who crafts its earbuds out of natural walnut; the quality is on-point, as I found out for VOUCH Mag.
- American Trench, another Style Guide favorite, is also expanding its product offering — they’re now crafting an outstanding water-repellent bomber jacket right here in America, as I covered for GearHungry.