We’re back at it today on The Style Guide with a new dose of men’s style essentials for you — I have a feeling you’re going to enjoy this #OOTD if you enjoy rugged layers. The centerpiece of this outfit comes, of course, from a Style Guide favorite — it’s the Taylor Stitch Maritime Shirt Jacket, and if you’re going to invest in a shirt jacket, now is the time to do it. The shirt jacket can be worn in plenty of style situations, including in inclement weather. It’s a reliable replacement for a bulky jacket, and it teams with other shirts already in your closet — as you’ll see below. In my mind, this is an #OOTD to wear on a chilly fall weekend out and about, or during a cabin weekend retreat … you get the picture. Heck, you could even reach for the Taylor Stitch Maritime Shirt Jacket at a late-season football tailgate or bonfire. Of course, if you have, y’know, actual work to do? Well then, it’s serviceable in that regard, too. So, here;s the deal: We’re going to layer up with a stylish casual shirt, then we’re going to throw on some rugged chore pants and some stylish leather boots, and then … well, you’ll be able to see the rest shortly. As I always stress here on the blog, if you start your outfit with one reliable centerpiece — a la the Taylor Stitch Maritime Shirt Jacket — the rest can easily fall into place. Lo and behold, here we are.
- The Shirt Jacket: Taylor Stitch Maritime Shirt Jacket, $188 — We’re starting off this #OOTD the exact way we should — with the absolutely incredible Taylor Stitch Maritime Shirt Jacket.
- The (Other) Shirt: Flint and Tinder Check Buttondown, $108 — Can you layer a shirt … under another shirt? When it’s the handsome, casual Flint and Tinder Check Buttondown, of course you can.
- The Rugged Pants: Flint and Tinder Mill Pants, $108 — The great thing about layering a stylish casual shirt under something like the Taylor Stitch Maritime Shirt Jacket is that you can go a little more rugged or more classic with your pants — the Flint and Tinder Mill Pants are reasonably rugged.
- The Stylish Leather Boots: Nisolo Mateo Moc Toe Boots, $288 — That same adage applies to your boots — the durable moc toe construction and versatile profile of the Nisolo Mateo Boots in particular.
- The Socks: American Trench Merino Activity Socks with Silver, $19.50 — If you follow the blog, you surely know that American Trench makes some of the best men’s socks in the game. And that’s why they get the nod here.
- The Belt: Dango Products CNC-Machined Belt, $79 — The theme of this #menswear ensemble seems to be durable, dependable gear, and this leather belt is surely one of the best leather belts out there.
- The Watch: Huckberry x Lum-Tec Combat B-42 Watch, $499 — Not yet acquainted with the dependability of the Huckberry x Lum-Tec series of watches? Change that right now, will ya?
- The Everyday Carry: Bespoke Post Light Up EDC Kit, $89 — Whether the day calls for an upstate hike or a swing through your favorite brewery, this kit from Bespoke Post is handy and helpful in the way of everyday carry essentials.
I’d say there’s a lot to love about the reliability and extraordinary style of this #OOTD, correct? Maybe it’s just me, but you really can’t go wrong with the remarkable Taylor Stitch Maritime Shirt Jacket, and then the rest of your ensemble follows from there. Whether you make this work during a chilly fall morning or your first winter retreat, the other complementary pieces of this ensemble are every bit as excellent as you’d expect. The Flint and Tinder Check Buttondown gives you some visual interest — wear it on its own every chance you get, too. And for days where the job calls for real work — or a few rounds of your favorite beer — the Flint and Tinder Mill Pants are a solid choice, the ideal choice to sit atop the Nisolo Mateo Boots, which blend rugged style and refined durability in one package. They’ll be all the more comfortable and warm when you team them with cozy, surprisingly stylish socks from American Trench.Lastly, I’d urge you to never — nope, never — leave the house without a rugged, durable watch like the one shown here from Huckberry x Lum-Tec. And lastly, you don’t know the gear you need until you don’t know it — that’s where the Bespoke Post Light Up EDC Kit comes in handy. With that, this #OOTD is in the books. How are you wearing it? Let me know on Twitter.