The new year, as we’ve been discussing these past few weeks on The Style Guide, calls for continual reflection and, naturally, the best men’s style essentials you can get your hands on. Like the rugged denim shirt from Billy Reid that happens to be the focus of today’s #OOTD. Now, we’ve previously talked about how to wear a denim shirt for winter, so consider this a bit of a refresher in terms of casual style — this is the type of layered look that would even fly at the office on a casual winter Friday. The Billy Reid Denim Shirt in question is helped along by a stylish long-sleeve shirt from the good folks at Faherty Brand, plus slim chinos and, as ever, classic leather boots.
Your outerwear (*ahem the Flint and Tinder Flannel-Lined Waxed Trucker) should also blend functionality and style for the winter — the prevailing thought behind this #OOTD is dependable style that works all week and all weekend. Pieces like a handsome leather watch from Martenero help cement the go-anywhere versatility of this look, too. Really, it’s all about finding new ways to wear pieces you already own — it’s a fun way to shake up your routine in the morning, and you might even find yourself trying some layering tricks you wouldn’t normally go for otherwise. So, with all that being said, it’s time to get down to business. Let me know what you think of this #OOTD over on Twitter. Thanks for reading!
- The Denim Shirt: Billy Reid Denim Shirt, $195 — Richly crafted, rugged & made to break in over time, this classic denim shirt is an absolute beauty. Definitely a worthy inclusion on your list of winter style essentials.
- The Long-Sleeve Shirt: Faherty Brand Surf Stripe Crew, $88 — Dependable gear made from high-quality fabric is what you get from Faherty Brand. This soft, casually stylish long-sleeve tee is a perfect winter layer.
- The Jacket: Flint and Tinder Flannel-Lined Waxed Trucker, $220 — You’re going to need a dependable winter jacket, and this rugged waxed trucker jacket from Flint and Tinder is the one to wear.
- The Pants: Taylor Stitch Democratic Chinos in Organic Ash, $98 — Believe it or not, Taylor Stitch chinos have gotten even better, thanks to the use of organic fabric. These just might be the perfect slim chinos to upgrade your #OOTD.
- The Stylish Boots: Rhodes Dean Boots, $220 — Sleek, classic leather boots that can be dressed up or dressed down? From Huckberry? Doesn’t get any better.
- The Watch: Martenero Ace Watch, $485 — This casual-yet-sharp watch is rugged & versatile — it looks to me like Martenero is now making your new favorite watch.
- The Stylish Socks: American Trench Edo Flower Socks, $29.50 — The good folks at American Trench just helped you upgrade your sock drawer.
- The Belt: Levi’s Icon Belt, $48 — Pleasingly rugged and well-made, Levi’s makes quite the stylish leather belt to complement this look.
- The Everyday Bag: Filson Ranger Backpack, $225 — There’s no question that Filson won’t let you down when it comes to a functional, stylish backpack.
Now, hopefully, we’ve given you something to think about as you upgrade your wardrobe and refresh your style for 2019. When you start things off with a classic denim shirt, the potential really is limitless in terms of versatility. In this case, we’re layering that Billy Reid Denim Shirt with a stylish long-sleeve tee from Faherty Brand — just the right way to dress for a weekend stroll, a morning coffee date or a casual afternoon at home. Things are amped up just a bit with maybe, just maybe, the perfect slim chinos; that combo is perfect for work or play. Again, classic leather boots add sleek appeal and timeless style, as does a classic everyday watch from Martenero (quite possibly your new favorite watch, agreed?). No outfit would be complete without a tough winter jacket — enter a rugged waxed trucker jacket from Flint and Tinder, then get ready to field all kinds of complements about how great you look (seriously!). And as we always say, you can’t let your accessories fall by the wayside, hence the use of stylish socks from American Trench and a dependable leather belt from Levi’s. To round things out, go for the perfect blend of functionality and timeless style with a stylish backpack from the good folks at Filson. That’s really all there is to it. Well, not quite. But I’d encourage you to try some of these pieces on for size, then catch up with me on Instagram to see how I’m getting dressed this winter.