First off: Happy New Year! It’s wild to be entering 2019, but I’m excited you’re joinining us (for the first time as a Style Guide reader or as a seasoned vet!), and I’m ready to get to work when it comes to the best men’s style essentials to start the new year. Flipping the calendar to 2019 is an excellent time for reflection and reevaluation, and that’s certainly true in terms of the way you dress, whether you’re looking for tips on how to dress for the office, how to prepare for a cozy winter weekend or what to wear to your favorite brewery. Seriously, it’s all on the table, and each situation calls for the proper approach — and the proper gear, of course. And if you want to make some quick, easy and relatively affordable men’s style upgrades to start the new year, you’re in luck. We’re coming at you today with a rugged men’s field coat around which to build your entire outfit, and we’ve also got investment-level leather boots in the mix, not to mention a stylish henley and slim canvas trousers from my friends at Faherty Brand. Those are just the main building blocks — I’d encourage you to mix and match these pieces for the office, the weekend or a winter getaway, or break them all out at once. It can be done — fear not, my friends. The overall point is that the new year calls for, well, a new you. At least in a small sense. If that sounds like a plan, and if you want to learn more about some of the best new men’s gear to wear anywhere, then let’s get to work.
- The Classic Field Coat: Peregrine Waxed Bexley Jacket, $299 — One of the easiest ways to up your style in the new year? Throwing on a rugged field coat.
- The Shirt: Bridge and Burn Bedford Heather Shirt, $128 — Touted by the brand as the “perfect camping shirt,” this classic shirt is a timeless style that’s easy to layer and cut from soft, comfortable fabric, whether you’re doing some winter exploration or merely sidling up to the bar.
- The Classic Henley: Flint and Tinder Slub Waffle Henley, $62 — The ideal base layer beneath that rugged winter shirt? A stylish henley from Flint and Tinder.
- The Pants: Faherty Brand Stretch Canvas Trousers, $148 — Another easy way to upgrade your style? Reaching for durable, slim-fit pants featuring tough fabric and the same cut as your favorite jeans. Faherty Brand does it again.
- The Rugged Leather Boots: Original Chippewa Service Boots, $279 — Never underestimate the power of a stylish pair of leather boots to start off the new year, like these.
- The Belt: Taylor Stitch Stitched Belt in Whiskey, $88 — We told you not to underestimate the utility of stylish leather boots — the same can be said for this classic leather belt. A perfect style upgrade for 2019 and beyond.
- The Socks: CHUP Joiku Socks, $35 — Need new socks for the new year? Of course you do. CHUP makes some of the best men’s socks you can buy, hands down.
- The Gloves: Give’r 4-Season Leather Gloves, $114 — We’re all about rugged, durable accessories — these leather gloves from Give’r also happen to be highly stylish.
- The Everyday Carry Essential: Bespoke Post Point Box, $45 — You’ll truly never know when you’ll need to break out your everyday carry essentials — this Bespoke Post box helpfully has ’em all.
- The Hat: United By Blue Mariner Beanie, $19.60 — A stylish beanie for under $20 is the ideal way to keep warm and add some colorful flair to this 2019-ready outfit.
Hopefully by now, you see that upgrading your style for the new year reolves around taking certain style staples and stepping up your game ever so slightly — hence, the new rugged field coat to wear anywhere and everywhere, especially when paired with a classic winter shirt and a stylish henley from Flint and Tinder. The other basic pieces of this outfit, from the colorful United By Blue beanie cap to the classic leather belt from Taylor Stitch, happen to get the job done and offer up timeless, everyday appeal — exactly the right look you should be going for to start the new year. I also can’t recommend Faherty Brand enough — these purveyors of West Coast cool make a heck of a pair of slim-fit trousers for the office and the weekend. On the footwear front, you’re never going to go wrong with some of the best men’s leather boots out there, this time from Original Chippewa — wear ’em as much as you can this winter. Other accessories also do their part, including stylish leather gloves and the excellent Bespoke Post Point Box — several items you should never leave the house without. Again, the small details are also important to start the new year — that’s why you need a pair of the best men’s socks to round out this outfit. And with all that being said, I think this #OOTD is one heck of a way to look put-together and stylish to start 2019. If you agree, feel free to let me know your thoughts over on Twitter. Thanks for reading and here’s to a great year!