There’s no doubt about it — you might have just found your new favorite denim shirt … or your favorite shirt, period!
OK, folks: One of the top menswear brands in the country, one you know and love, is back in a big, big way. We’re talking, of course, about lauded American menswear designer Billy Reid, the man himself and a namesake brand that just gets it when it comes to producing some of the best men’s gear — year in and year out. Take, for instance, the Billy Reid Denim Shirt (or the Billy Reid x Huckberry Denim Shirt, if you want to get technical). It’s one of the best men’s shirts for winter and beyond, made from a seriously cool black washed denim that just so happens to be exclusive to Huckberry. And in a manner of speaking, it could be your new favorite shirt beyond just this season. And that’s not all that hard to believe when you consider the past work done by Billy Reid (as seen on this very site, in fact). We’re talking about stunning, investment-level pieces like the Billy Reid Bond Peacoat just as readily as we’re talking about more accessible basics like the Billy Reid Mini Waffle Henley — from A-to-Z, the quality and classic style is evident through Reid’s namesake line. But back to the remarkable Billy Reid Denim Shirt, alright?
SHOP: The Billy Reid Denim Shirt
Details make all the difference with Billy Reid’s gear, as we well know.
There’s quite a bit that makes this rugged denim shirt so special, from the rich, washed black fabric to smaller details, too. But first, that fabric: The black colorway is a pretty big sticking point, as black isn’t normally a color most guys feel they can pull off (correct? I know I’ve felt that way at times). Especially in a denim shirt, though, it just … works. It’s the right combination of edgy and classic, for starters — and in this case, the Billy Reid Denim Shirt perfectly toes the line between rock concert-ready and office-friendly. Don’t believe me? I’d say you should give the Billy Reid Denim Shirt a spin with a tan herringbone blazer and faded dark blue denim for some high-low office style. You should also feel free to rock it under a shawl-collar cardigan with olive chinos for yet another office-ready look — and on the weekends, the Billy Reid Denim Shirt is even more ready to go. Case in point: Those same blue jeans you wore to the office will pair up quite nicely with this classic denim shirt — add tan leather chukka boots for some seriously cool contrast. Then, throw on your favorite moto jacket and belly up to the bar. You’ve found your new favorite shirt, yes indeed.
SHOP: The Billy Reid Denim Shirt
A perfectly refined and rugged Billy Reid shirt jacket. It’s that easy for fall.
If there’s one American menswear designer who knows a thing or two about making fall style essentials that are just as rugged and refined — yet versatile — as you need them to be — it’s Alabama-based Billy Reid. The designer has been a longtime favorite of the blog, and with good reason — pieces like the Billy Reid Plaid Mo Shirt Jacket exemplify high quality, classic design, and seasonally friendly appeal, all at once. Long story short: The Plaid Mo Shirt Jacket is one of the best men’s shirt jackets you’re going to invest in this fall — and invest in it you should. After all, the right shirt jacket combines old-school cool with new-school touches — and in the case of this particular shirt jacket, that means a heck of a lot of crucial touches (and none that you don’t need, for that matter).
SHOP: The Billy Reid Plaid Mo Shirt Jacket
A no-frills silhouette made all the better thanks to American-made construction.
The greatness inherent in one of the best shirt jackets starts with a soft, brushed wool fabric blend (in a rich plaid pattern, no less) — this makes this particular outer layer suitable for pairing with everything from your favorite henley to a rugged chambray shirt in equal measure. Large genuine horn buttons give it durability and the crucial added touch that makes it able to stand up on its own (or underneath a tough waxed parka if it gets really nasty out there). Speaking of standing up … flip up the collar on this rugged shirt jacket to reveal a handsome leather lining for a bit of a refined touch. Oh, and be sure to use the front-button chest pockets to handle your everyday carry essentials — there’s no wrong way to go in terms of layering or style points with the Billy Reid Plaid Mo Shirt Jacket, this is undoubtedly true. Right? Right.
SHOP: The Billy Reid Plaid Mo Shirt Jacket
The perfect spring henley? Well, it’s certainly one of the best henleys this season.
Not so fast: Don’t store your long-sleeve henleys just yet. In fact, if I were you, I’d consider adding another option to your arsenal of stylish spring layers: The Billy Reid Mini Waffle Henley is one of the best men’s henleys to buy now, and that’s just a fact. It’s no less than a classic henley option from one of my favorite menswear brands, one that delivers luxurious takes on men’s style staples — that includes the coveted Billy Reid Bond Peacoat and now, the Billy Reid Mini Waffle Henley. What’s the case for keeping a henley on hand as the temperature heats up? Well, my friends, the Billy Reid Mini Waffle Henley is made witha waffle thermal fabric that should breath nicely and layer easily without being too suffocating. In fact, I’d even pair the Billy Reid Mini Waffle Henley with the seriously cool, rugged Billy Reid Denim Shirt for easygoing spring style. The henley really can be your best friend when it comes to spring layering, and that’s a fact.
It starts with the washed-out, spring-friendly Terracotta color of the Billy Reid Mini Waffle Henley — this is the perfect complement to slim light wash denim and classic chukka boots for when it’s too warm for a jacket, but slated to get a bit breezy later. You could even layer the Billy Reid Mini Waffle Henley underneath a stylish zip hoodie (as seen in this post) for an early morning weekend coffee run or a day of travel. And to be sure, you can absolutely wear the Billy Reid Mini Waffle Henley with a navy cotton blazer — paired up with tan chinos and leather loafers — for some office-ready style on an easygoing spring day.
A nicely textured henley that’ll layer up with ease.
And if you’re hesitant about diving headfirst into the henley game with one that’s more than $100? Just know that the Billy Reid Mini Waffle Henley should consistently deliver on quality given what the Billy Reid brand has going for it — the lauded American designer uses prime attention to detail in all facets of the menswear game. So, this isn’t a flimsy henley from a fast-fashion brand … you can be sure of that. From the light spring color to the easy wearability, it should become a new go-to with everything from off-white jeans and tan suede chukkas to indigo denim and a light chambray shirt — talk about essential spring style, right?
Do you have a favorite pair of sneakers in your closet? A pair of stylish sneakers to consistently turn toward in a multitude of spring style situations? Weekend brunch, brewery visits, hours-long park strolls — and of course, days at the office aplenty — can all be tackled with the stylish spring sneakers (and the #OOTD) in question. It’s all about versatility and comfort when it comes to Beckett Simonon’s Morgen Trainers, and they’re complemented handsomely by a rugged chore jacket (via Everlane), a stylish denim shirt from Billy Reid and slim chinos (sold by Huckberry, of course). The building blocks here can really take you anywhere, with the ability to be mixed and matched with ease. The resulting #OOTD can go to the office on a casual Friday, or out to your favorite brewery, and essentially anywhere in between.
And the beauty of this #OOTD is that you can remove layers as needed through shifting spring weather. Specifically, the Everlane Chore Jacket (a new personal favorite) can even double as a cool blazer replacement if need be. And again, it all starts from the ground up with your new favorite pair of sneakers from Beckett Simonon. Cheers to spring!
Mixing up your spring sneakers with touches both rugged and casual — and from some of your favorite brands.
- The Sneakers: Beckett Simonon Morgen Trainers, $149 (On Sale) — Yes indeed, these vintage trainers from Beckett Simonon are the perfect pair of sneakers for spring. They’re as premium as a stylish pair of dress shoes, all the better to wear this spring with laidback, easygoing style essentials.
- The Rugged Jacket: Everlane Chore Jacket, $88 — Now, this rugged chore jacket isn’t too heavy, it isn’t too light, and it’s certainly not stuffy — it’s just plain cool, especially in a deep shade of Pine. It’s also made with radical transparency in mind.
- The Denim Shirt: Billy Reid Denim Shirt, $195 — We’re adding another layer in the form of a stylish denim shirt from Billy Reid, because why not? This rugged denim shirt is finished with antique hardware and a classic look.
- The Henley: Flint and Tinder Slub Waffle Henley, $62 — Is there ever a bad time to wear a rugged henley from Flint and Tinder? Especially when it can provide some warmth on breezy spring days? The answer is … nope!
- The Spring Chinos: Flint and Tinder Cool Chinos, $98 — The team at Flint and Tinder has once again come through with a stylish pair of slim chinos, this time in an essential shade of Khaki. Perfect for complementing your Beckett Simonon sneakers.
- The Watch: Carpenter Watches G4 Brooklyn Gent, $724.98 — You’re investing in the best of the best with this stylish leather watch from Carpenter Watches. It’s just refined enough to offset the more rugged Everlane chore jacket + Flint and Tinder henley combo.
- The Classic Leather Belt: Tanner Goods Standard Belt, $105 — We’re making the case for investing in one of the best leather belts out there, one that you can wear every day. Tanner Goods makes it — the Standard Belt is a new workhorse.
- The Socks: Anonymousism Indigo Rib Crew Socks, $32 — Sneakers and chinos that show some ankle call for stylish socks that fit the bill. Anonymousism certainly makes some of the best socks out there, that much I know to be true.
- The EDC Essential: Taylor Stitch Minimalist Billfold, $98 — Make sure your wallet isn’t afterthought — this Taylor Stitch wallet takes care of that nicely.
We’ve told you in the past that the best ensembles start from the ground up, right? In this case, that involves Beckett Simonon’s Morgen Trainers, a heck of a stylish, comfortable and premium pair of sneakers that tie each and every outfit together handsomely. In this case, the outfit only gets better and better the more you look at it (I think so, at least). That is to say, a rugged chore jacket from Everlane adds versatile utility and style, especially when layered over both a stylish denim shirt from Billy Reid and a rugged henley from Flint and Tinder. Those three layers should have you ready for whatever comes your way this spring, from a light breeze to a sudden drop in temperature. And in matters of style, this entire combo works, too — it’s fit for a night at a gastropub or a round of beers at a brewery, or a day at the office. It’s also tied together by slim chinos that sit nicely atop the vintage trainers from Beckett Simonon— you see, it’s all tied together. It should also go without saying that the right #OOTD is also finished off with the right accessories, including a stylish leather watch and an equally stylish leather belt (both investment-level pieces in their own right). Richly crafted indigo socks from Anonymousism provide a dash of comfort and style, too. When worn all together, this #OOTD is darn near unbeatable — and again, it all comes back down to the stylish sneakers you’ve got on your feet. Happy spring, folks!
The new year, as we’ve been discussing these past few weeks on The Style Guide, calls for continual reflection and, naturally, the best men’s style essentials you can get your hands on. Like the rugged denim shirt from Billy Reid that happens to be the focus of today’s #OOTD. Now, we’ve previously talked about how to wear a denim shirt for winter, so consider this a bit of a refresher in terms of casual style — this is the type of layered look that would even fly at the office on a casual winter Friday. The Billy Reid Denim Shirt in question is helped along by a stylish long-sleeve shirt from the good folks at Faherty Brand, plus slim chinos and, as ever, classic leather boots.
Your outerwear (*ahem the Flint and Tinder Flannel-Lined Waxed Trucker) should also blend functionality and style for the winter — the prevailing thought behind this #OOTD is dependable style that works all week and all weekend. Pieces like a handsome leather watch from Martenero help cement the go-anywhere versatility of this look, too. Really, it’s all about finding new ways to wear pieces you already own — it’s a fun way to shake up your routine in the morning, and you might even find yourself trying some layering tricks you wouldn’t normally go for otherwise. So, with all that being said, it’s time to get down to business. Let me know what you think of this #OOTD over on Twitter. Thanks for reading!
Dependable, functional layers make this #OOTD a winter winner (say that five times fast).
- The Denim Shirt: Billy Reid Denim Shirt, $195 — Richly crafted, rugged & made to break in over time, this classic denim shirt is an absolute beauty. Definitely a worthy inclusion on your list of winter style essentials.
- The Long-Sleeve Shirt: Faherty Brand Surf Stripe Crew, $88 — Dependable gear made from high-quality fabric is what you get from Faherty Brand. This soft, casually stylish long-sleeve tee is a perfect winter layer.
- The Jacket: Flint and Tinder Flannel-Lined Waxed Trucker, $220 — You’re going to need a dependable winter jacket, and this rugged waxed trucker jacket from Flint and Tinder is the one to wear.
- The Pants: Taylor Stitch Democratic Chinos in Organic Ash, $98 — Believe it or not, Taylor Stitch chinos have gotten even better, thanks to the use of organic fabric. These just might be the perfect slim chinos to upgrade your #OOTD.
- The Stylish Boots: Rhodes Dean Boots, $220 — Sleek, classic leather boots that can be dressed up or dressed down? From Huckberry? Doesn’t get any better.
- The Watch: Martenero Ace Watch, $485 — This casual-yet-sharp watch is rugged & versatile — it looks to me like Martenero is now making your new favorite watch.
- The Stylish Socks: American Trench Edo Flower Socks, $29.50 — The good folks at American Trench just helped you upgrade your sock drawer.
- The Belt: Levi’s Icon Belt, $48 — Pleasingly rugged and well-made, Levi’s makes quite the stylish leather belt to complement this look.
- The Everyday Bag: Filson Ranger Backpack, $225 — There’s no question that Filson won’t let you down when it comes to a functional, stylish backpack.
Now, hopefully, we’ve given you something to think about as you upgrade your wardrobe and refresh your style for 2019. When you start things off with a classic denim shirt, the potential really is limitless in terms of versatility. In this case, we’re layering that Billy Reid Denim Shirt with a stylish long-sleeve tee from Faherty Brand — just the right way to dress for a weekend stroll, a morning coffee date or a casual afternoon at home. Things are amped up just a bit with maybe, just maybe, the perfect slim chinos; that combo is perfect for work or play. Again, classic leather boots add sleek appeal and timeless style, as does a classic everyday watch from Martenero (quite possibly your new favorite watch, agreed?). No outfit would be complete without a tough winter jacket — enter a rugged waxed trucker jacket from Flint and Tinder, then get ready to field all kinds of complements about how great you look (seriously!). And as we always say, you can’t let your accessories fall by the wayside, hence the use of stylish socks from American Trench and a dependable leather belt from Levi’s. To round things out, go for the perfect blend of functionality and timeless style with a stylish backpack from the good folks at Filson. That’s really all there is to it. Well, not quite. But I’d encourage you to try some of these pieces on for size, then catch up with me on Instagram to see how I’m getting dressed this winter.
The best peacoat on the market? There’s certainly nothing else like it.
Folks, there’s just no other way to look at it: The Billy Reid Bond Peacoat is an iconic jacket you need in your wardrobe this winter. Oh, and it’s worn by Mr. James Bond himself (as seen above). That’s it. That’s all there is to it. And if this classic peacoat wasn’t so well-made and uniquely stylish, that might be the end of this post. But trust me, there’s so much more to say about the exceptional Bond Peacoat from lauded American menswear designer Billy Reid. It’s great enough that it received prominent placement in the 2012 James Bond film “Skyfall” — of cours. The popularity of this coat (actually named for Bond Street in Manhattan) has only grown since then. Or is “legend” a more fitting word than “popularity”? At any rate, you can currently pick it up via the brand’s Web site, or via Huckberry — all the better, seeing as Huckberry is truly one of my favorite online shops for the stylish guy (that’s you!). That’s really just the start of what makes this coat so great. Now, we’ll be telling you all about how to wear this stylish peacoat in our #OOTD series in the coming days, but for now, let’s get down to business — the Bond Peacoat delivers in matters of style AND functionality, starting with the extremely warm double-woven melton wool construction. That alone makes it worth the *gulp* nearly-$700 price tag.
SHOP: The Billy Reid Bond Peacoat
It’s really not too often — try never — that you find a peacoat that so perfectly embodies style that’s suited for a secret agent and for the everyman, yet that’s just what the Billy Reid Bond Peacoat offers. Take the crisp navy color, as worn by naval servicemen decades ago. Heck, that color and this silhouette alone are enough to add class to any outfit.
A slim, tailored peacoat that shot to prominence thanks to a certain secret agent.
Add in small, seriously premium touches — including a leather-reinforced collar and horn buttons — and you’re looking at much more than your average peacoat. It’s also made in Italy, putting the Billy Reid Bond Peacoat a cut above the rest. Side slash hand warmer pockets and front flap pockets make this coat one that’s not just for show; use them to stow your everyday carry essentials on chilly winter days. It’s crisply cut, making it the ideal complement to tailored wool trousers and rugged leather boots. It’s also a nice way to stay warm in transit to the office or your holiday party — if I were you, I’d wear it over a classic chambray shirt and slim tan chinos, paired up with durable desert boots (read more about all those men’s style essentials elsewhere on the site). Again, you’re going to have to invest in the Billy Reid Bond Peacoat, but I can nearly guarantee it’ll be the last peacoat you buy. OK, that’s it. That’s the end of this post. Get out there and pick it up while you still can!
SHOP: The Billy Reid Bond Peacoat
When can a piece of outerwear come to define your whole outfit? Easy. When it’s a classic peacoat
with a name that speaks for itself — the Billy Reid Bond Peacoat
. It’s a piece of outerwear that’s quickly become a coveted, new classic, and that makes it more than deserving of leading off today’s #OOTD
. As to the rest of the ensemble, it’s packed full of the sort of pieces that are going to work at the office or at your holiday party — or perhaps on the road for holiday travel, if you’re feeling particularly dressy. That is to say, Taylor Stitch
comes through with handsome trousers, Viberg enters the equation with some of the best men’s boots
out there, WP Standard supplies your new favorite messenger bag
, and brands like American Trench
are here with stylish socks to keep you warm and on your toes this winter. The right coat really can make all the difference — it can elevate your outfit, impress your date or your partner, even charm your in-laws (OK, maybe not). Be sure to keep your skin in shape with men’s grooming essentials
, then consider your holiday and office dressing all set. Again, when you start with a jacket that speaks for itself, most of your work is done. Read on to find out more, and head to my Instagram
to see how I’m getting dressed this winter.
A beautifully made peacoat that’s going to elevate many a winter ensemble.
- The Classic Peacoat: Billy Reid Bond Peacoat, $695 — An absurdly amazing, classic peacoat made to heirloom-quality standards. Famously worn by Daniel Craig as James Bond in “Skyfall”‘.
- The Shirt: Taylor Stitch Jack Shirt in White Everyday Oxford, $98 — You’re not surprised to see a stylish Taylor Stitch shirt in the mix, are you? The white Oxford is a stone-cold classic of which Bond would approve.
- The Trousers: Taylor Stitch Telegraph Trousers, $178 — Would you expect anything less than tailored trousers in a winter-friendly fabric from Taylor Stitch?
- The Boots: Viberg Hiker (Huckberry Exlusive), $426 — These rugged hiking boots from Viberg are absolutely something else. Get them now, wear ’em to the office and on the weekend.
- The Socks: American Trench Edo Flower Merino & Cashmere Socks, $29.50 — It’s always fun to see how American Trench updates its designs and quality season after season — these socks are dressy yet casual.
- The Watch: Jack Mason Aviator 3-Hand Watch, $165.98 — A subtly stylish watch from Texas-based Jack Mason Brand that blends function and rugged appeal perfectly.
- The Grooming Essentials: Duke Cannon Handsome Man Grooming Can, $75 — Packed with one-of-a-kind men’s grooming gear to keep your skin in mint condition this winter.
- The Everyday Bag: WP Standard Vintage Messenger, $295 — Again, if you follow me on Instagram, you know I love WP Standard and the brand’s stylish, heirloom-quality leather goods — like the WP Standard Vintage Messenger.
If you ask me, I think we’re looking at a heck of an #OOTD above. One that works for the office or a holiday party, one that offers crisp and dressy style as readily as it does functionality (thank those stylish hiking boots for that versatility). Things only get better when you start with the timeless Billy Reid Bond Peacoat and accent it with a stylish Taylor Stitch shirt (one that you can easily dress up even more with a layer like the Taylor Stitch Rangeley Sweater). Again, slim wool trousers should be a go-to with nearly any sharp outfit this winter, and it pays when you step into a pair of rugged winter boots to combat slippery surfaces out there. When it comes to accessories, your subtly stylish Jack Mason watch works in laidback or tailored situations, as do the American Trench socks pictured above. And especially if you find yourself headed to the office (or out on the road), the WP Standard Vintage Messenger is going to provide maximum style and the ability to keep your everyday carry essentials safe. The final ingredient in your recipe for success? Assuredly, it’s got to be men’s grooming gear from Duke Cannon. Now, how’s that for warm, stylish #OOTD that’s going to help you get the job done this winter? Feel free to connect with me on Twitter to let me know your thoughts. Thanks for reading!