Perhaps, there’s one question that pops up in the front of your mind consistently: What men’s style essentials am I going to wear this summer weekend? Seeing as the calendar is moving ever-closer toward Memorial Day this weekend — and then quickly beyond that — there are plenty of seasonal adventures to be had (here’s a specific idea for what to wear for Memorial Day, too). But again, how are you going to dress for the demands of a summer weekend? Be it a weekend trip away, a backyard BBQ, casual pre-dinner cocktails with friends, or a day out in the country before driving back to the city … there are a lot of options as to how you can customize your summer. And folks, today’s #OOTD — featuring the best denim shirt on the market — is guaranteed to prove ever-ready for each opportunity. It’s blending the best of casual and crisp style (take the classic white tee shown below) with just enough functionality (a la the comfortable retro sneakers on display). We’re also accessorizing with classic menswear pieces that can work all season long, including a tough stainless steel dive watch and a handy craft beer growler. To me, these are the kind of essentials that exude “casual cool” — not too stuffy, not too sloppy … just right. Raise a glass, crack open a can of your favorite beverage … and then, let’s welcome summer.
- The Denim Shirt: Flint and Tinder Bone Button Western Shirt, $128 — The denim shirt that’s going to elevate your casual look from good to great — this classic Western shirt has cool styling details and should layer up with ease.
- The Classic White Tee: Mott & Bow Heavyweight Pocket Tee, $35 — A crisp, classic white pocket tee is a timeless men’s style staple — this Mott & Bow number has pleasant heft but soft fabric, and will add a bit of throwback appeal to this look.
- The Shorts: Topo Designs Global Shorts, $59 — Since it’s a casual, early spring weekend, comfortable, DWR-treated nylon shorts should provide plenty of versatility. They’ll work for day hikes, backyard football or manning the grill … and you might even be able to get away with wearing them to a patio dinner.
- The Sneakers: Atalasport Star Suede Sneakers, $182.75 — A modern take on a throwback classic, these stylish summer sneakers are packed with visual interest and cool retro styling details — gotta love the ’70s tennis sneaker inspiration. The perfect sneakers to wear to visit a brewpub or a bottle shop.
- The Watch: Zodiac Grandville Watch, $495 — Looking for a stylish casual watch that bridges the gap between adventure, functionality & casual style? I present the Zodiac Grandville watch, made for any summer weekend.
- The Audio Essential: Cavalier Maverick Portable Speaker, $249.99 — Whether you’re hosting an evening party or visiting friends for the weekend, bring along this handsome, stylish Bluetooth portable speaker from Cavalier Audio — sure to be a hit.
- The Weekend Essential: Bespoke Post Cheers Box, $45 — When you sign up for Bespoke Post, you can get the craft beer essentials you need for a summer weekend — including two upgraded beer glasses and a great-looking growler.
- The Sunglasses: Garrett Leight Co. Brooks 47 Sunglasses, $340 — Channel classic, laidback cool no matter where the weekend takes you — these are some of the best men’s sunglasses I’ve seen this season.
All things considered, do you feel ready for summer now? The versatility of a classic Western shirt is going to set you apart from the pack, whether strolling through the park, grabbing a cup of coffee or enjoying your favorite craft beer — it’s a seriously cool shirt, simple as that. And when layered up over a classic white pocket tee, you’re channeling a bit of retro style inspiration — as perfect as it gets for summer. The Topo Designs Global Shorts, while a bit more functional than classic men’s shorts, are still a reliable option thanks to the tailored cut and neutral color (and if you happen to head out on a quick hike or a long beach walk, no need to change shorts).
In terms of versatility, you really can’t top a tough stainless steel dive watch, no matter where you go this summer. Throwback-inspired sneakers are a unique update on the footwear front, more classic than espadrilles or sandals — and it helps out that you’re topping this outfit off with some Steve McQueen-esque shades. Before you run out the door to that rooftop party, grab two essentials sure to make you the life of the party: A craft beer growler, along with a stylish Bluetooth portable speaker from Cavalier Audio. Your outfit is unstoppable, your accessories are one-of-a-kind … and your summer weekend just got a whole lot better. Have any summer style must-haves? Let me know on Twitter!