A comfortable, soft flannel that’s brushed for comfort & ready to take on fall and winter.
Ahh, yes. Another Friday, another edition of The Friday Read … and another recommendation for the best fall menswear to buy now. Specifically, the handsome, versatile Proof Heatseeker Flannel— made from brushed polyester flannel for comfort and movement — is leading us off to start the weekend. In short, the Heatseeker Flannel will go anywhere you go, from the office to happy hour, and it’ll look great doing it. Now, onto the rest of today’s entry. Have you made sure to keep up with the blog as we get you fully prepped for this season? We’re looking at Thanksgiving just a few weeks away — dressing in style for the occasion is crucial, and we’ll have more content in that regard next week on the blog via our #OOTD series. In other matters: We debuted a new look on The Style Guide this week! What do you think of it? Feel free to let me know on Twitter. And elsewhere: I’m very, VERY excited to be heading back to my home state of Michigan this weekend for my kindergarten (yep!) best friend’s bachelor party! What’s on tap? Plenty of amazing Michigan craft beer, plus college football (Go Green!) and of course, the chance to break out some of my rugged fall gear as we spend the weekend at a log cabin retreat. To keep up with all the action, you know where to go — follow me on Instagram, and then be sure to join us again tomorrow for another edition of the Style Pick of the Week. OK, I’ve got a flight to catch — thanks for reading!
- We’ve been rolling through November for a while now, which means it’s time to turn our attention toward men’s health. Believe you me, it’s not too late to get into the spirit of Movember — my friend John Jones at The Manual dives into why, exactly, it’s worthwhile for us fellas.
- The chill of winter is going to be bearing down on us in short order, which is why I rounded up the best men’s parkas for GearMoose! There’s something for every price point and every style, without a doubt.
- In the way of other other men’s style essentials you need for fall, you can add stylish leather boots to your list — such as the Rhodes Dean Boots, a handsome and low-profile pair of sleek leather boots that I again covered for GearMoose. Lace up, then hit the road.
Still want something else to read? Check out thebest henley to buy for fall. Or, busy yourself reading about the all-weather boots you need in your closet (and on your feet). Still not ready to go back to work? Check out a recent edition of the Friday Read, covering the best leather boots and the best live music venues out there. They go hand-in-hand, right? OK, that’s all for now.
Your next fall outerwear purchase — rain-ready, functional & stylish.
Ever wake up and get caught off guard by nasty weather outside? Ever get caught in that weather without an umbrella? Same and same. That’s why I’m such a fan of the Flint and Tinder Ridge Shell (yes, more Flint and Tinder on The Style Guide!), and that’s why I think you will be, too. The latest entry into our See Now, Buy Now series also happens to be the rare weather-ready jacket that also happens to be stylish — no gaudy logos or overly bright colors here, just the classic style and tough design you’d expect from our pals at Flint and Tinder. Simply put, the Flint and Tinder Ridge Shell really does drive home everything you know and love about the brand, from the USA-made construction to the rugged appeal and a unique sense of heritage and history. To wit: The Flint and Tinder Ridge Shell starts with water and tear-resistant Japanese nylon fabric done up in a silhouette that echoes timeless mountain parkas. The specs are tough, durable and ready for nearly anything, too. That goes for the custom metal snaps, the natural cotton drawstring and leather stoppers — all of which just so happen to be subtly stylish at the same time.
Crucially, the Flint and Tinder Ridge Shell is more than just your average, lightweight, grab-and-go jacket (although it looks great with casual style staples aplenty). No sir, there’s just a little something extra to this jacket — I’m particularly a fan of the Dark Olive color, which wouldn’t look out of place when worn with the Flint and Tinder Stonewashed Jeans and perhaps a rugged waffle henley. The possibilities for a jacket like the Flint and Tinder Ridge Shell go about as far as you’d like, from day hikes to that critical fall pumpkin patch visit to an afternoon wiled away at your local brewery. And to top it off, you won’t be caught off guard by the rain anymore.
SHOP: The Flint and Tinder Ridge Shell
From the cool texture to the rugged styling potential, this Flint and Tinder henley is a winter go-to.
Another day, another dollar … and another piece of stylish fall menswear from our pals at Flint and Tinder. They’re all about rugged, easy-to-wear essentials that channel classic style — like the timeless henley. Specifically, The Flint and Tinder Slub Waffle Henley is quite the addition to your fall layering game, and it’s one you’re going to want to pick up as soon as possible. It’s fitting that it’s joining the roster of our Style Pick of the Week series, which — as luck would have it — is packed with plenty of fall style essentials that would readily pair up with the Flint and Tinder Slub Waffle Henley. What is it about a henley that can help every guy update his look in a rugged, fall-ready way? It’s the layering potential — wearable under a chambray shirt or a black moto jacket — and it’s the sense of casual cool you get from wearing a henley. That’s nearly all there is to it. Well, maybe not all there is to it. The Flint and Tinder Slub Waffle Henley flips the script on the typical henley, with a slub thermal weave that easily lends itself to weekend layering — that’s just a start.
SHOP: The Flint and Tinder Slub Waffle Henley
Innovative details help make this a seasonal staple — agreed?
More specifically, the Flint and Tinder Slub Waffle Henley is just a nicely made henley, from the unbreakable UREA metal fisheye buttons to the poplin placket (made to provide some visual and textural interest). The end result is a unique henley that’s worth the price ($62) and able to be paired up with slightly more refined pieces. Seriously, try it underneath a tan herringbone blazer with dark denim for some classic high-low style at the office. And if you couldn’t tell by now, I personally love the Birch color — although you can also snag the Flint and Tinder Slub Waffle Henley in colors like Charcoal and Olive. The great news? No matter the color you select, the wearability of the Flint and Tinder Slub Waffle Henley is top-notch. Take your favorite flannel shirt, add this rugged henley, throw on some slim black denim and call it good. Conversely, roll out of bed during the work week, pair the Flint and Tinder Slub Waffle Henley with a nay flannel suit and brown leather lace-up boots — it just works. And if you want a henley to wear this weekend with cozy sweats? Yessir, the Flint and Tinder Slub Waffle Henley can do that, too.
SHOP: The Flint and Tinder Slub Waffle Henley
Step on up and dive right in to this week’s Friday Read, packed with men’s style essentials aplenty to start your weekend off right. I’m looking forward to another early “Summer Friday,” (a perk of working in the NYC PR world!), and then, the highlight of my week: Hosting my incredible fiancée Laura as she visits Brooklyn again this weekend! We’re planning on visiting the iconic Grand Central Station, enjoying some local coffee and neighborhood strolls, and checking out the lauded Brooklyn Museum! It’ll be a relaxing and enjoyable summer weekend, to say the least. I truly can’t wait. The close of this week also means that we’re one week closer to Labor Day and the end of summer — how are you prepping for early fall? Might I suggest shopping some of my favorite menswear picks to make the transition? I hope that the below menswear reads are helpful to you as you shop, pack and plan. Without any further ado, here we go! Happy reading, happy shopping & wishing you a happy weekend.
- Some guys are watch guys, and some guys just … aren’t. At least, not in the traditional sense. If you find yourself in the market for a new, tech-forward timepiece, just about the best thing you could do would be to check out my feature on the best smartwatches for 2018 over on GearMoose.
- I’ll be sharing more thoughts on the best weekender bags in the season ahead, but for now, I’d say you’d do well to check out my latest piece for The Manual covering essential, stylish gear to pack up for your next trip out of town.
- Let’s talk dependable, everyday style — with just a bit of edge thrown in, that is. The Flint and Tinder Bone Button Western Shirt keeps popping up on the site for good reason. It’s made with quality cotton in a rich indigo color, and it features a reliable fit for layering over everything from a grey slub tee to a long-sleeve thermal shirt (come early fall, that is). That’s why I’d recommend you catch up with our See Now, Buy Now series, and make the Bone Button Shirt work for you.
- OK, switching tracks a bit here — I’m a huge fan of all things live music, from festivals to small Brooklyn club shows, so I found the big news out of the music industry this week both intriguing and alarming. That is to say, Paste Magazine and other outlets have reported that musicians received only 12 percent of the music industry’s $43 billion in revenue last year. YIKES. Give the article a read, and then buy a T-shirt the next time you see your favorite local indie artist, yes?
Can’t get enough menswear before the weekend? Shop these menswear must-haves before you go. Thanks for reading!
An unexpected summer layer to take you into fall.
Now, when you think of summer style essentials, I’d bet that a rugged Western shirt isn’t exactly at the top of your list, right? Too stuffy, too stiff and too hot? Not so fast. I’d implore you to reconsider that notion, my friends — especially when it comes to the Flint and Tinder Bone Button Western Shirt, and particularly as we move through August toward September (gasp). What makes the Bone Button Western Shirt a unique option for summer styling as August drags on? And what makes this Flint and Tinder shirt the right choice to wear into fall? Allow me. Made with 8oz. cotton denim for a nice balance between being overly heavy and too lightweight, the Flint and Tinder Western Shirt has all the marks of a classic menswear essential from the lauded in-house brand at Huckberry.
That means quality construction, unique touches like silver-gray stitching, and yes, the burnt cow bone buttons that truly set the Flint and Tinder Western Shirt apart. If I were you, I’d treat this stylish Western shirt exactly like you might wear your classic Oxford shirt or rugged chambray shirt — for starters, it’s easy to style with your favorite chino shorts and white canvas sneakers.
That’s really just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the essential utility and style of the Flint and Tinder Western Shirt — it’s really an excellent piece to buy now, wear now and then keep handy come fall. Treat it like your favorite flannel shirt, just slightly lighter. Layer it under a grey crewneck sweater or throw it on over a classic thermal shirt come fall, for starters. The unique Stonewash Denim finish of this here classic denim shirt also stands out alongside everything from rich dark indigo jeans (a study in contrast!) to grey five-pocket pants to classic khaki chinos. And the Western-style construction of the Flint and Tinder Bone Button Shirt checks plenty of boxes in terms of timeless-yet-edgy style, too. The point stitching across the back and the pockets lends this piece a classic air, yet the Flint and Tinder Western Shirt isn’t going to look out of place when worn to a rock concert or to your favorite dive bar (preferably paired with slim black jeans and classic suede chukka boots).
What say you? Are you going to take the Flint and Tinder Western Shirt for a spin soon?
We always try to cover a lot of ground when it comes to our #OOTD series, from how to wear boots during the summer to the best way to style your chambray shirt. It all comes down to, as always, taking your favorite pieces and mixing up the formula, the fit and the styling. Such is the case with today’s featured #OOTD, my friends. It starts with a tried-and-true menswear essential — the rugged denim jacket — and features unique, summer-friendly styling touches, like the Taylor Stitch Hawthorne Shirt and go-anywhere classic suede chukka boots. These are items that work well on their own, and yet look even better blended into one ensemble. The resulting look is a different way to wear a piece (the stylish denim jacket) that you know and love. Between the laidback trousers and a pair of retro-inspired sunglasses, you’ve got an outfit that screams casual versatility, from brunch to the market to your favorite coffee shop. If you really want to beat the heat? Ditch the rugged denim jacket and wear the Taylor Stitch Hawthorne Shirt on its own — I’ll let you be the judge of how you ultimately want to make this #OOTD work for you, though.
Your favorite denim jacket, worn in an unexpected way.
Flint and Tinder Denim Trucker Jacket, $168
— Here’s the trusty, stylish denim jacket
we mentioned earlier. The centerpiece of this outfit, the solid fit and pleasing mid-wash make it a winning summer layer.
The Shirt: Taylor Stitch Hawthorne Shirt, $125
— Beat the hot weather with the Hawthorne Shirt
from Taylor Stitch
, complete with short sleeves (to rid yourself of excess heat) and a seriously cool pattern.
- The Pants: Life/After/Denim Harbor Pants, $148 — One way to stay casual and breezy this summer? The Harbor Pants from Life/After/Denim, featuring a tapered fit, a cotton-linen blend & a drawstring waist.
- The Boots: Astorflex Greenflex Boots in Dark Khaki, $145 — We talked a couple weeks ago about how to wear boots this summer, and if you want to dip your toe in those waters, the Astorflex Greenflex are a great way to start. Fear not: These classic chukka boots are relatively light and very easy to wear.
- The Socks: American Trench Mil-Spec Sport Socks, $12.50 — I’m an advocate of investing in classic items you love to wear — and that’s why I love the classic style and comfort of the Mil-Spec Sport Socks. With a no-fuss design & an array of color options, they’re the perfect complement to this #OOTD.
- The Watch: Form-Function-Form Horween Leather Weekender, $98 — Reach for a rugged, stylish casual watch to balance out the go-anywhere nature of this outfit. The Horween Leather Weekender from Timex checks all the right boxes.
The Sunglasses: Taylor Stitch Legend Sunglasses, $175
— Sure, you could reach for classic Aviator sunglasses with this ensemble, but the Taylor Stitch Legend Sunglasses
are much more visually interesting and just … cool.
- The Grooming Essential: Blind Barber 30 Proof Styling Cream, $18 — I love me a vintage-inspired ballcap as much as the next guy, but the Blind Barber 30 Proof Styling Cream will give your ‘do and your look a little something extra.
So, what exactly makes this outfit different from another summer #OOTD? Well, if you start with a timeless outer layer (in this case, the rugged denim jacket from Flint and Tinder), you can mix and match as you please. You’re ready for a breezy summer night or an in-between summer day in equal measure, especially when you pair the Flint and Tinder Denim Trucker Jacket with the Taylor Stitch Hawthorne Shirt for versatile layering. Easygoing pieces like the Harbor Pants from Life/After/Denim drive home the breathable, cool nature of this outfit. And both the American Trench Mil-Spec Socks and classic chukka boots like the Astorflex Greenflex add a dash of everyday style. Throwing on a rugged, casual timepiece like the Horween Leather Weekender from Timex keeps this outfit firmly in casual territory, while a grooming must-have like the Blind Barber 30 Proof Styling Cream takes your ‘do to the next level — to say the least. So, what’s your takeaway from this week’s #OOTD? Which piece is your favorite, at that? Join the conversation on Twitter.
Thanks for reading!
It’s been a busy couple of weeks here on the blog, even outside of regular menswear writing pursuits and #NYFWM. Last weekend, I was excited and thrilled to be back in my home state of Michigan to celebrate the wedding reception of two great friends (congrats to the Vissers!) with my fiancée Laura in Bloomfield Hills! Of course, you probably saw that if you follow me on Instagram (wink, wink). It was a lovely evening complete with some fun dancing and plenty of Bell’s Oberon in the Michigan heat.
I wore my Thursday Boots Statesman Dress Shoes (shop them in this post!) and a charcoal Awearness Kenneth Cole suite, along with a crisp Todd Snyder dress shirt, while Laura looked absolutely stunning in a Forever21 cocktail dress! We capped off the weekend by visiting Belle Isle Park, home to the Belle Isle Conservatory and Aquarium (again, as seen on my Instagram!). It was a beautiful day to explore and get outside, even in the heat — it’s a good thing that we capped off the day with a trip to Batch Brewing Company in Detroit, located near the West Side Industrial area and featuring easily drinkable beers like the Berggasse 19, a Vienna lager with some rich flavor. As it were, that’s the brew Laura and I are hoping to serve at our nuptials next June! I’ll drink to that. In the meantime, I’m hoping your week is closing out nicely — I’ve got some brews to enjoy, and some menswear to write about. The rest of your Friday Read is below!
- Haven’t been keeping up with our ongoing See Now, Buy Now series here on the blog? Then let me get ya updated on one of my favorite recent entries — last week, I told you all about how the Flint and Tinder Denim Trucker Jacket can work as the perfect summer layer, able to pair with a rugged henley and chinos or an Oxford shirt and slim chino shorts in equal measure. Read the post here.
- It’s hard to find but delicious to drink — I’m talking, of course, about the coveted Lambo Door Double IPA from Brooklyn’s own Grimm Artisanal Ales. I’m looking forward to checking out their brand-new, permanent East Williamsburg location very soon, but for now, I’d say I’ll have to make do with re-reading my latest feature for GearMoose covering this excellent & uniquely crushable brew.
- I’m all about upgrading your style in unexpected ways for everyday situations — take Sunday brunch, for instance. Your focus should be on dressing in a way that’s casual and comfortable, yet also distinct and versatile — hence, my latest feature on what to wear for Sunday brunch over at The Manual! Who else wants a Bloody Mary now?
- Not in the mood to pack away your boots even as the thermostat climbs? Then, the OluKai Nalukai Boots, as covered in last week’s Style Pick of the Week, are the lightweight option you need to buy now, and wear now.
Loyal Style Guide readers, thanks for sticking it out until the end today! Join us again tomorrow for a brand-new Style Pick of the Week, and let’s all try to stay cool out there. Until then!