OK, folks. It’s Friday. It’s been another week filled with plenty of change — and not always in the best way. But, like the “Change Is Good” stamped on the stylish leather valet tray from Billykirk shown above, maybe you’re using the time to contribute toward positive changes. That could be anything and everything from making donations, supporting your favorite local businesses, being more mindful of your purchases as you shop for the best new men’s gear … and at the same time, being mindful of your family and friends. It’s a heck of a lot to balance at once, so I thank you again for taking some time out of your day and weekend to join me here for another Friday Read. A word: Today’s post is a bit of an extended version of the Friday Read: Lots of ground to cover. Before we go any further, though: You can shop and give back to a good cause with Billykirk right now: The American-made leather goods brand is offering 25 percent off sitewide through its Spring Sale, with 10 percent going toward Feeding America — just use the code SALE25 at checkout, folks. OK back to business.
As far as being mindful goes … heck, maybe you’ve found that with all this time at home, you need to organize your everyday carry essentials — and you need a new valet tray with which to do it. Whatever brings you here today, I hope you find what you’re looking for. If you’re a first responder or a medical professional, thank you for your work and your service — hopefully, this provides some respite (and yes, a few men’s style deals to shop, because that’s what we do here). Just as with last week, I’ve got some reading suggestions, some ongoing menswear sales and quite a few ways to shop and give back at the same time. As for my weekend plans? I’m going to be kicked back with some coffee from the excellent FourTillFour x Taylor Stitch partnership, and I plan on playing one of my favorite records this weekend, too (at least one, that is to say). What about you? To keep up with how I’m passing my time, and to get some spring style suggestions of your own, head to my Instagram. OK, let’s get into it. Thanks for reading!
- I’ve talked quite a bit in these past few weeks about the importance of finding one of the best spring jackets for men — it’s still something that can come in handy on solitary hikes or even a quick jaunt to fill up that growler (hopefully, your favorite brewery is still pouring). On that note, I wrote for GearMoose about the Finisterre Aeris Jacket, a durable piece of spring outerwear that could become a new favorite. Head to the site to read more.
- How about another look at how you can shop and give back? It’s a theme of today’s post, to be sure, and you can continue to do so through Faherty Brand yet again. Now through Monday (the 13th), Faherty is offering select bestsellers for 40 to 70 percent off, folks. From the Knit Seasons Shirt to the brand’s stylish long-sleeve polo, the picks are plentiful. That’s not all: Faherty Brand is also donating 2 percent of sales through the month of April to those impacted by COVID-19, and on top of that, they’ve banded up with a collective of like-minded brands called Brands x Better — this is great work that we should all support (and look great while doing so!)
- Let’s keep looking at brands making a difference. Ably Apparel has launched a pretty neat one-for-one program called Get One, Give One to honor first responders. To wit: Ably is offering 25 percent off the entire website and with every purchase, donating an item in support of frontline first responders. That’s a pretty great effort, right? On top of that, Ably is also calling on their social followers to tag a first responder — or for first responders to tag themselves — in Ably’s comments and in return they’ll gift them an item from their website. Again a terrific effort. Check this brand out.
- OK, more good news on the ways in which brands are giving back. Through the rest of the month, Brooklyn sneaker brand GREATS — yes, the makers of some of your favorite sneakers — will be donating $15 from every order to City Harvest, New York City’s largest food rescue organization. That $15 wil help provide food to a family of three for 15 days. All you have to do is buy some of the best men’s sneakers of the moment — another great effort from a truly “great” brand, yes
- How about something ELSE related to … online shopping? The good folks at O.N.S. Clothing are running a Sitewide Sale through Sunday, offering you 20 percent off of purchases of $150 with the code GET20, on up to 30 percent off purchases of $350 or more with the code GET30. Plus, they’ll throw in a free T-shirt with purchases of $250 and up, to go along with free domestic shipping (and free international shipping on orders of $300 and up). They make cozy, rugged-yet-refined sweaters and essential spring layers, so get to it.
OK, it’s time I left you with one last piece of reading here for the weekend. And it’s a style suggestion too, naturally. The next time you want to look great and feel great on a Zoom call, throw on something a little bit more polished beneath your crewneck sweatshirt. I’m talking, of course, about the easygoing and classic Buck Mason Oxford Shirt, which I covered on the blog here. It’s surely one of the best men’s shirts you can buy for spring — even if your spring involves working from the back patio with a happy hour beer rather than visiting your favorite brewery. OK, that’s all from me today. Enjoy the weekend, stay safe and feel free to reach out to me on Twitter if you feel so inclined. Cheers!