Just one way to hit the ride for the Fourth of July weekend.
OK, my friends — we’re rolling into the Fourth of July weekend, just like the Montague Bikes Navigator at the top of the page. Hopefully, you kicked off the weekend with men’s style essentials yesterday, helped along by some rest, some relaxation, a delicious craft beer and a hot dog or two. That’s how I spent it in Brooklyn at Coney Island and Nathan’s Famous, enjoying the sights and sounds of a classic American destination. But now, we’ve got a double-whammy of sorts: A proper holiday weekend on tap. And if you’re the kind of person who loves to stay active on vacation, the above Montague Bikes Navigator is just the way to go about doing that. Now, I don’t have a bike myself (hello, subway!), but if I did, and wanted to bike around to breweries in Queens and beyond, I’d get one of the best foldable bikes out there. I myself am going to be sure to take in a relaxing, rejuvenating weekend in my favorite city in the world, helped along by a visit to Brooklyn’s own The Adirondack, plus some of my favorite summer style essentials, naturally. To start your own weekend the right way, you know exactly where to go — the below Friday Read, of course!
- Now admittedly, if you’re a sneakerhead, you’ve probably known about the Converse Star Series for some time now. It’s a hot-selling new release packed with some of the best men’s sneakers I’ve seen in terms of functionality and forward-thinking fashion, and I covered it a couple weeks back for The Manual — if you’re interested in snagging a pair, head to places like StockX for the full scoop!
- I talk often about how to make classic men’s style essentials work for you — pieces like the best men’s chinos, at that. For a laidback Fourth of July weekend, throw on a stylish short-sleeve shirt, slim chinos & suede loafers, then belly up to the bar with this #OOTD. Cheers!
- Speaking of what to wear for Fourth of July weekend, you could do worse than a sustainable, classic short-sleeve shirt from Outerknown — as covered by yours truly over at GearMoose, in fact. Best get to it while there’s still time!
Let’s close out this post before you get to the Fourth of July weekend with one more handy piece of advice — you should be wearing a short-sleeve henley this weekend. In fact, you should be checking out my guide on how to wear a short-sleeve henley before you do anything (craft beer not included). OK, that’s everything I’ve got for y’all today — have a great weekend!
The best T-shirt for a summer weekend? Sure is!
Just one look at the above Friday Read tells you all you need to know — we’ve got a packed rundown today, starting off with the best new T-shirt to buy for summer. We’re talking, of course, about the Flint and Tinder Heavyweight Triblend Tee as seen above. It’s geared to be worn with everything from chino shorts to slim light wash denim — but you’re not here for that, right? No, sir. Let’s close out the week in style (or at least, we’ll close up shop until tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week).
After a couple very busy weekends in a row seeing my favorite band, The National — including a trip down South to the amazing Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival & a jaunt to Montreal — I’ll be spending this weekend in Brooklyn. As to Montreal, I can’t recommend the city’s mix of culinary delights (a la amazing meats at Maison Publique) and surprisingly delicious craft beer (the mix of French and Belgian influences at places like Isle De Garde was very neat to experience) enough. Throw in a killer show by The National playing old and new classics at Place des Arts, and you’ve got the recipe for a banner weekend. Oh, and for poutine and classic “greasy spoon” dishes, head to the Montreal Pool Room. Coffee and bagels? Fairmount Bagels has you covered. Can you tell I’m a big fan??
How about your plans for this weekend? I’m looking forward to catching up on the coffee scene at my favorite Brooklyn coffee shop, Milk & Honey, and I’m also looking forward to catching up on the craft beer scene at another favorite Brooklyn haunt, the always excellent Sycamore Bar & Flower Shop. As ever, you can check out how I’m dressing for a stylish summer weekend over at my Instagram. In the meantime, let’s get on with today’s Friday Read. Thanks for spending some of your weekend here!
- There’s one essential men’s grooming brand — among many, naturally — that should be on your radar this season. That brand is the aptly named Beau Brummel for Men, purveyors of everything from an effective charcoal face mask to an excellent daily moisturizer. Give my latest for The Manual a quick read to get up to speed!
- We’re going to pivot here briefly back to one of my other passions — that’d be craft beer, and specifically, some of the best beer for summer. Namely, I’ll point you toward GearMoose to read all about New Belgium’s Passion Fruit Kolsch, one heck of a light, essential beer for the warmer months.
- And in the spirit of summer style — and summer style essentials — I’m going to close things up here by pointing you back toward some of the best shorts for summer. Make no mistake, this is ever more critical with the Fourth of July quickly approaching. Best start shopping now.
Still searching for one last critical purchase in advance of the weekend? Check out my guide to the best gear for summer — if you’re not already enamored with many of those gear picks, that is. OK, it’s time for me to sign off and head out to enjoy a summer weekend. To follow along with what I’m up to, check out my profile on Instagram. That’s all for now — cheers!
The slim denim you need for the weekend ahead.
Are you geared up and ready for the weekend? Surely not yet, right? Or at least, not without a pair of slim light wash denim from Mott and Bow, correct? This brand makes comfortable, premium jeans that are as fit for a casual Friday (like today!) as they are for your weekend escapades — in fact, I might just be wearing mine soon as I hit the road. That’s right, I’ve got another very, very exciting trip upcoming! I’ll be heading back to Portland, Oregon (I was last there in September 2017 to see Future Islands play!) this weekend, and the occasion is just as special this time around. I absolutely love this city for its mix of old and new, with a refreshing contemporary-yet-authentic vibe (don’t believe those who compare it to “Portlandia” … all the time, at least). I’ll be heading to this great Northwest city to see one of my favorite bands, lauded California indie rockers Local Natives,play what should be a wonderful live show behind their excellent recent album “Violet Street” — it’s assuredly one of my favorites this year so far, and they always put on an astounding show! Of course, you can follow along with me on Instagram as I hit up spots like Hopworks Brewery, Blue Star Donuts and Courier Coffee (not necessarily in that order). What’s on tap for your weekend? Any suggestions for Portland must-do’s? Let me know on Twitter, and get your weekend started the right way … now!
- The good folks at Banana Republic are keeping you cool this summer with a unique new partnership: The Banana Republic Core Collection, formed in partnership with star QB Jared Goff of the Los Angeles Rams, features a prime mix of classic silhouettes (think chinos and travel-friendly blazers) merged with performance fabric — and per usual, I wrote about it for The Manual! Stay cool out there.
- If you follow me on Instagram, you know I love — LOVE — a stylish pair of leather boots. Especially a stylish pair of Taylor Stitch leather boots, right? On that note, I covered the newly launched Taylor Stitch Moto Boots for GearMoose; talk about a winning pair of investment-level footwear, yeah? No kidding.
OK, my friends. That’s all from me today, but I’ll leave you with one last guide as to what to wear this spring — hit that link for more. And for now, I’ve got a flight to catch! Cheers.
Another pair of durable, lightweight Danner boots to take you into the weekend.
Folks, it’s time — well and truly time — to step into the weekend with a pair of the best men’s boots from Danner (as seen above). To me, there’s no better way to close out the week and look forward to the weekend than with a lightweight, versatile pair of boots like the Danner Caprine Boots (aside from listening to The National and enjoying a great cup of coffee, that is). On that note, what’s on your weekend agenda? I’m very, very excited to welcome my parents back to Brooklyn for the first time in more than a year! It’ll be a fun-filled and busy weekend, highlighted by a trip to the Brooklyn Museum’s Frida Kahlo exhibit and of course, plenty of great coffee and brunch. We also plan to experience the mysterious, classic NYC production Sleep No More, an immersive storytelling experience that promises twists and turns around every corner. It’ll be a first for myself since moving to NYC! You can follow along with all the fun on my Instagram, per usual. And for your own weekend planning, I’d suggest you start with the below menswear reads and news pieces — they won’t let you down, trust me.
- Perhaps you regularly read the digital pages of GearMoose, one of my favorite sites (and not solely because I contribute there frequently!). On that note, I covered an essential spring and summer watch, the Timex Archive MK1 Watch — it’s durable, affordable and made to last. Pair it with your favorite T-shirt and a perfectly broken-in pair of chukka boots for easygoing summer style.
- If you’re not yet aware, the great folks at Everlane are doing a decidedly stellar job when it comes to crafting the best new pair of sustainable sneakers on the market — that would be the Tread by Everlane Collection, as covered by yours truly at The Manual. In fact, the great thing about these sneakers is how well they pair with the brand’s perfectly cut Oxford shirts and slim dark denim.
- In my mind, these sorts of things are always worth a reminder and a refresher — that is, you need to check out my guide to the best spring style essentials to buy now. Hopefully, these weekly entries more than get the job done when it comes to upgrading your personal style.
That’s going to close out today’s Friday Read — if you’re still searching for something to read (or for one of the best men’s T-shirts to round out your wardrobe), I’d suggest you check out this piece on your new favorite tee. Cheers!
The classic, functional sunglasses you need for summer.
Who else is looking toward the weekend in fine fashion today? Well, you can start it out by shielding your eyes from the sun with some of the best men’s sunglasses on the market, the Sunski Topekas Sunglasses. Available for only $68 at Huckberry, they’re sure to be a stone-cold classic. If it were me, I’d pick up a pair for all kinds of weekend adventures. And what exactly is on my weekend agenda? Well, for starters, I’m en route back this morning from upstate New York and the lovely town of Kingston … where I was lucky enough to see Vampire Weekend play songs off of today’s just-released album, “Father of the Bride,” last night! Talk about the opportunity of a lifetime as far as seeing an iconic indie band put on a stellar show. Kingston was also lovely — it was truly a treat to hit up spots like Keegan Ales for tasty beers pre-show! If you get the chance this weekend, I’d certainly recommend you spin that new VW album, and if ever you get to Kingston, well, you know your first stop.
Now that I’m back in Brooklyn, I’m also looking forward to the unique, innovative 37d03d Festival taking place in the borough this weekend! What’s on tap? A terrific Saturday night of genre-bending music as part of a performance collaborative led by Mr. Aaron Dessner (of The National!) and Justin Vernon (of Bon Iver legend). The resulting performance by the Dessner-Vernon outfit Big Red Machine should be nothing short of epic. In the meantime, I also plan to hit up some of the best coffee in Red Hook, including The Black Flamingo. What’s on tap for your weekend? Follow along with mine on Instagram, and be sure to check in with me on Twitter for more fun.
- Let’s kick things off with a little solar-powered bang here, in the form of the Jack Mason Solar Field Watch (as covered by yours truly at GearMoose) Perhaps you recognize Jack Mason from this blog, and I can assure you, the brand makes tough, dependable, handsome everyday watches — it’s even cooler that this one just so happens to be highly technically savvy.
- The thermostat keeps climbing, and it’s only bound to get hotter — that’s where a pair of stylish swim trunks comes into play. On that note, good news for all of us: I wrote about the best men’s swim trunks for my friends at The Manual. Surf’s up!
- Early last week, we took a deep dive into all the best new menswear you need to wear to your next happy hour — and seeing as we’re on the verge of another weekend, I figured it would be worth another share. Read all about how to get dressed for happy hour right here.
That’s going to close out today’s Friday Read, folks. Still want something else to read? Check out my piece on the best men’s denim shirt for spring. Have a great weekend, folks!
The sleek leather watch that’s going to elevate any outfit.
Many thanks and cheers as we kick off today’s Friday Read, my friends! Doesn’t it seem like time is just … flying by? It sure seems like you’d do well to stay on track with the stylish leather watch from Miansai seen above. Yes indeed, the Miansai M12 Vintage Cognac Leather Watch is the one to buy this weekend. And given that we’re halfway through the month, I’d say your wardrobe and your footwear situation might be due for an upgrade — we’ll tackle that more below, but as we stomp through winter, crucial men’s style essentials like some of the best men’s leather boots should be on your radar. Or the best cardigan to buy now. Or a classic chambray shirt. You get the picture.
At any rate, it’s been a focus of mine over these past few weeks to really reach for quality pieces that stand the test of time (if you follow me on Instagram, you might recognize this!). Pieces like a classic shawl cardigan from Buck Mason, or some rugged leather boots from my pals at Danner (as seen in this post). It’s been a fun exercise, one that I’m going to continue in the next few weeks. For now though, I’m very excited to host a trio of longtime Michigan friends in my suddenly-too-small Brooklyn apartment for the long holiday weekend — we’ll be visiting classic NYC haunts like McSorley’s Old Ale House and also checking the unique Museum of the American Gangster (as one does). Again, you can follow along with all the fun on my Instagram. Cheers to the weekend!
- The best way to power through the doldrums of winter? Why, with the perfect flannel shirt from Faherty Brand. Read more in this post on the blog covering exactly why you need a new flannel shirt in your cold-weather arsenal.
I’m all for cracking open a flavorful, rich beer at the end of the day — if you fall into the same category, you’d do well to pick up this handsome-yet-utilitarian bottle opener
from Discommon, a feature I covered for GearMoose. Cheers!
Speaking of essentials to help you power through winter, this durable field coat
is a winter outerwear essential. I wrote recently on the blog about how it’s made to perform in the weather and look great while doing it, too. Yessir, the Proof Field Jacket
could become a new favorite for the season.
Right then — what type of men’s style essentials are you looking forward to wearing this weekend (and beyond)? If you still need to step up your game in this young new year, look toward my favorite men’s style suggestions for winter. Or, rethink how you wear a classic staple like the best peacoat in your arsenal. Mix and match to your heart’s content, my friends. Have a great weekend, and thanks for reading!
The right way to dress for winter — the Proof Storm Shield Parka.
Alright, I’m ready for a stylish winter weekend — how about you? More importantly, how are you dressing for the nasty weather that seems to be blanketing the country right now? If I were you, I’d layer up with the Proof Storm Shield Jacket — the team at Proof makes gear with versatiliy, mobility & performance in mind, so that’s a great way to take on the season. From the Primaloft Gold insulation to the ease of packing it up, the Proof Storm Shield Jacket just works. OK, we’ve got that out of the way. It’s now time to look back at the latest and greatest men’s style news of the week — agreed? We’re about halfway through January, so I’d love to hear how your men’s style resolutions are holding up. It’s all about refreshing and upgrading the basics you know and love — pieces like the classic flannel shirt or a timeless henley — in a new way for the new year.
RAnd we’re already off and running in matters aside from menswear, too. Tonight, I’m heading to my favorite venue in the city (that’d be Brooklyn Steel) to see Nashville singer-songwriter Rayland Baxter play what promises to be a soulful, moving show in East Williamsburg. Have any more suggestions for weekend listening? Feel free to let me know on Twitter — and in the meantime, let’s get on with the Friday Read! Cheers.
- Now, this post ran a few weeks ago, but it’s worth revisting — Esquire.com is giving you the full scoop on the best men’s duffle bag to take with you anywhere and everywhere. In short, it’s a convertible duffle that goes from the gym to the office to the road. Of course, you can also view more essential men’s travel gear elsewhere on the site — happy hunting!
- Let’s take a quick step back for a second — a proper #FlashbackFriday, if you will. While the rest of us deal with sleet and snow, perhaps you find yourself in a more temperate climate. If that’s the case, I’d imagine you’re sick of reading about the best men’s winter coats and want something a little more suited to warm weather? In that case, check out this #OOTD on the best way to wear sneakers now. Bingo.
- There are regular pairs of boots, and then there are the sort of rugged men’s boots you invest in — ones that get better over time. A few weeks back, I wrote all about how Nick’s Boots are the boots you should buy now. You can find out why at The Manual.
Once again, thanks for tuning into this edition of the Friday Read. If you still find yourself on the hunt for something to read or something to wear (or both), I’d point you toward learning more about this rugged winter cardigan from Faherty Brand. Looking for something a bit more refined? Well, then — the Bond Peacoat from Billy Reid (as seen in our Style Pick of the Week series) is the way to go. OK, that’s all I’ve got today. Stay stylish!