Editor’s note: Expect these posts once a week on Fridays — consider this a jumpstart on reading for your weekend downtime. Expect a mix of style and non-style content. For more entries, click here.
While last Friday was quite momentous (it was Black Friday after all), today’s edition of The Friday Read is a little quieter — and that’s a good thing, because it’s certainly been a busy week! I had the pleasure of attending a few action-packed menswear events in New York City this week, kicking off with an evening at the Club Monaco Men’s Shop hosted by Michael Williams, the founder of noted heritage menswear & lifestyle Web site A Continuous Lean. A more gracious host you couldn’t find — it was great to meet him and chat for a bit. As if the week could go up from there, my friends at PR firm Bollare were kind enough to invite me to the #Force4Fashion event, a star-studded evening featuring special one-off Stars Wars-inspired designs from the likes of Todd Snyder and Billy Reid (it’s even cooler that each piece will be auctioned off for charity). I capped off the week by swinging by the Dr. Scholl’s showroom for a look at the brand’s S16 line. That’s right — Dr. Scholl’s makes men’s shoes, including these neat boots. Look for more on the brand on the blog in the coming weeks. But in the meantime, enough menswear event talk, yes? We’re still rolling right ahead with a big weekend and kicking it off, as always, with a fine selection of newsworthy items from across the Web. Wherever your weekend takes you, I hope it’s an enjoyable one!
- Land’s End, they of catalog fame, is making a concerted effort to revamp its brand image, according to the New York Times. That includes bringing in stylish models for its lookbooks and opening up an NYC pop-up.
- Although it’s definitely boot season around these parts, get a load of the latest Common Projects collab, an update of the classic Achilles Low in partnership with Unis.
- Popular Mechanics notes that you — yes you, lucky rich guy — can have your chance at buying the last watch to orbit the moon, the famed Omega Speedmaster, on Dec. 15. Save up.
- Long Read of the Week: Paste Magazine ranks the 50 best albums of 2015 — any of your favorites make the list? I personally loved this year’s releases from CHVRCHES, Tame Impala and Beach House. See, I’m not just all about style!
Still need to get your menswear fix before the weekend?
- Over at VOUCH Mag, I covered two worthy addtions to your holiday wish list — a great dopp kit from Richer-Poorer and Byrd Hairdo Products, and a stellar duffle via United By Blue.
- If you’ve been following the brand’s relaunch, you’ll be familiar with the Camel Topcoat from JackThreads (it looks amazing) — if not, check out my latest post for GearHungry.