Editor’s note: Expect these posts once a week on Fridays — consider this a jumpstart on reading for your weekend downtime. Expect a mix of style and non-style content. For more entries, click here.
Is it just me, or did this week positively fly by? We’ve got lots going on around these here parts, from a fun Men’s Style Christmas Wish List that hit on Wednesday to more importantly, a gift guide for your mom, sister, grandma — you name it, there’s a suggestion for the lovely ladies in your life in that post. And if you’ve got a holiday party coming up soon, The Style Guide also has you covered. Even in the midst of all that holiday prep, I hope you’re taking the time to get out and have some fun. As for me, I had the chance to catch some great live music earlier this week, among quite a few other stops around town.
I was fortunate enough to connect with Brooklyn rockers Mainland after a standout show earlier this fall, and I’ve since had the chance to see them several times (it helps that they’re a really awesome bunch of guys — and big fans of Timberland!). But at any rate, they’re absolutely a band worth checking out — and you can do so right here (hint: start with the catchy tune ‘Outcast’). On the fashion front, I got the opportunity to preview some fantastic new accessories and gear from Will Leather Goods at the brand’s holiday celebration on Wednesday — so if you need to upgrade your bag or wallet, or fancy picking up some old-school sportswear, give ’em another look. As you peruse the Web and listen to some new tunes, read up on everything you might have missed — have a great weekend, and check back here for tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week.
- My friend Megan Collins of the excellent site Style Girlfriend covers how to style the Fair Isle sweater — it’s on-trend and definitely seasonally appropriate (be sure to learn more about the site via my Q&A with her earlier this fall).
- Band of Outsiders, everyone’s favorite nerd-chic brand, is returning sans founder Scott Sternberg, according to the folks at GQ.
- The Economist notes that, rather surprisingly, UNIQLO is struggling financially in the American market, namely in suburban areas, and the piece also notes the brand is scaling back its plans to open numerous U.S. stores by 2020.
- Style Note of the Week: While it’s getting more and more toward boot season, that doesn’t mean you should close up in regards to awesome sneakers just yet — GREATS Brand out of Brooklyn is back with what looks to be another tremendous collaboration, this time with iconic Japanese retailer United Arrows & Sons; the two brands updated GREATS’ classic Wooster silhouette (and you might recognize that particular style from a post earlier this summer on this very site).
Not done reading up on the men’s style universe yet?
- Get your tailored wear on-point this holiday season with Combatant Gentleman — I went more in-depth on the brand for VOUCH Magazine.
- Style Guide favorite Mott & Bow just launched a new line of raw denim – I also covered that release for VOUCH, and you can go more in-depth with the new pair very soon (read: tomorrow, in fact!).