Rugged, durable gear is all the rage these days, and for good reason as we move through a chilly February. In fact, your next #OOTD calls for versatile, warm winter layering and expertly crafted style for cold weather, after all. I’ve got good news: You’re in luck, because it all starts convincingly with one of the most rugged coats for men from Filson, a legendary addition to your outerwear rotation that you’ll want to wear a ton the rest of this season (these are also gear picks you can wear as Valentine’s Day menswear options later this month). The rest of these picks are pieces you’re going to come to know and love, if you don’t already have a closet packed full of ’em. Case in point: The Buck Mason work shirt that serves as a go-between layer, plus the durable henley from Huckberry that’s acting as a warming base layer through the winter chill. Naturally, a classic leather watch from Timex is also along for the ride, as is one of the coolest bags for men (it’s a surprise!).
To me, these picks work in perfect harmony together, especially when so many of our favorite pursuits, from grabbing a local beer to enjoying an apertif, have moved outside under heat lamps. For a day hike, for a crosstown stroll or heck, for a day of yard work, I think you can make any of these pieces work quite nicely (it’s a blend of form and function after all, right?). Of course, your rugged five-pocket pants are as ready for adventure and yard work as anything, so they’re along for the ride, too. Keep scrolling to see how it all comes together, and happy shopping this season, folks.
- The Rugged Jacket: Filson Cover Cloth Mile Marker Coat, $395 — The right winter gear often starts with one of the best men’s jackets for winter, and Filson has you covered quite easily.
- The Shirt: Buck Mason Chambray Work Shirt, $105 — It doesn’t get any better for rugged winter layering than a Buck Mason work shirt, right? Yes indeed.
- The Henley: Flint and Tinder Raglan Waffle Henley, $62 — A durable, tough henley is the right base layer to combat cold weather while providing some cool, casual visual interest in this ensemble.
- The Pants: Proof Rover Pants, $98 — These are some of the best-selling pants at Huckberry for a reason; reason being, they mimic the fabric and toughness of work pants, yet they’ve got the comfort and style of your favorite denim.
- The Boots: Wolverine 1000 Mile Axel Boots, $400 — It’s not too late to get your new favorite winter boots, and this updated take on the Wolverine 1000 Mile Boots should prove a perfect pairing with the rest of this ensemble.
- The Watch: Timex Navi XL Automatic Leather Watch, $259 — To pair with your tough leather boots, pick up a classic Timex leather watch for unstoppably cool, rugged style.
- The Winter Hat: Away Without Leave Fisherman Beanie, $45 — Bundle up in style with this old-school fisherman beanie, a recent addition to the Huckberry gear lineup.
- The Everyday Carry: DISCOMMON Weekender, $875 — If you’re hitting the road or if you’ve got plenty of gear to haul on the daily, then you want the incredibly well-made DISCOMMON Weekender, one of the coolest bags for men I’ve seen in some time.
Alright, let’s review precisely what we’ve got on tap in today’s rugged, rough-and-ready #OOTD. To me, it’s packed with the sort of essential gear picks you really can’t go without, especially when blustery, snowy winter weather is the norm. Take the Filson Cover Cloth Mile Marker Coat, as tough a jacket as it gets when the going gets, well, tough. It’s a fine pairing with your Buck Mason work shirt, another crucial layer to fight winter’s cold climes. Naturally, both work quite well atop your Flint and Tinder henley for maximum warmth and timeless good looks.
And if it’s work-ready versatility — plus serious style points — that you’re looking for in terms of your bottom half, you could do worse than some of the best-selling pants at Huckberry (available in both Slim and Straight fits). It gets even better, though: A new take on the Wolverine 1000 Mile Boots are going to ensure you stay on your feet and take on tough jobs (or just another round of winter beers) with ease. Since the name of the game is all-day function and fashion, a classic Timex leather watch is a crucial accessory to add to your daily carry. Top it all off, quite literally, with a fisherman beanie that’ll keep you warm all day and night long. Last but certainly not least, I’m certain you’ll find the DISCOMMON Weekender quite useful and quite stylish no matter where you go, particularly if a winter road trip is in order. If you’ve got any final thoughts on this look, feel free to get in touch on Twitter. Thanks for reading, my friends!