If you’re looking to shed some extra layers in style, and if you’re looking for advice on how to wear an overshirt this spring, you’re in the right place. Simply put, if it’s a rugged men’s shirt you seek for spring, the kind that can go anywhere you ask it to go, then the Filson Lightweight Alaskan Guide Shirt is the one you want right now (and today’s #OOTD is the one to check out). It’s both one of the best men’s overshirts and one of the best standalone shirts in its own right, and that’s the way the rugged gear purveyors at Filson would like to have it. An overshirt is a workhorse of your wardrobe, as you’ll see today, with the ability to be worn atop your favorite henley (more on that in a moment) for breezy early spring style, no matter how blustery things get out there.
Spring is a time for new beginnings, new style moves and new opportunities to get back out there after a long, cold winter, and the best gear has just got to be up to snuff — that’s the way it is these days. And when you find yourself standing once again in front of your closet, pondering what to wear for a spring stroll or a day enjoying some socially distanced patio beers, you’ll find the proper answer below: The Filson Lightweight Alaskan Guide Shirt is the casual overshirt you need ASAP.
- The Lightweight Overshirt: Filson Lightweight Alaskan Guide Shirt, $125 — Made from a pre-washed, midweight cotton twill, this is the sort of stylish overshirt to throw on as a reliable top layer this spring whenever you could use one.
- The Henley: Flint and Tinder Raglan Waffle Henley, $62 — It wouldn’t be an early spring ensemble without a rugged men’s henley to serve as an excellent base for your #OOTD, ehh?
- The Pants: Proof Rover Pants, $98 — You’ve assuredly read about the Proof Rover Pants here on the blog, and they’re some of the best work pants for whatever spring throws at you (even if it’s just an afternoon of outdoor brews).
- The Boots: Beckett Simonon Lopez Boots, $239 — Because spring days can be jam-packed, you need some of the best leather boots for both durability and serious style. Plus, you can use the code BEAU for 20 percent off.
- The Socks: American Trench Retro Stripe Socks, $12.50 — No pair of leather boots is complete without some of the best socks for men, ehh? This retro pair takes the cake.
- The Belt: Tanner Gods Classic Belt, $105 — One of the best leather belts should be a staple of any man’s wardrobe, and this Tanner Goods belt is a longtime favorite of mine.
- The Watch: Timex Standard Leather Strap Watch, $79 — The right way to finish off this #OOTD? With one of the best men’s watches under $100, of course. Nothing better.
- The Spring Beer: Craft Beer Club Beer of the Month Box, $44.75 (12-Pack) — Folks, how cool is this? Join this monthly craft beer club and get 12 beers a month for under $45, featuring plenty of seasonal styles like the Zipline Kolsch and more.
- The Outdoor Essential: DISCOMMON Bottle Opener, $110 — Casual beers on your back porch just got a whole lot cooler — this titanium-and-leather bottle opener is a beautifully designed addition to your EDC, and perfect for weekend afternoon utility.
If you ask me, every great #OOTD for a new season is built from the ground up (or the top down) on the strength of both the little things (take the retro stripe socks shown here, some of the best socks for men) and the big things. Of course, the centerpiece of this rugged and on-the-go outfit is the Filson Lightweight Alaskan Guide Shirt, a durable and well-made overshirt to wear through breezy spring days on end. It doesn’t all come together with the right layers and the right supporting cast, like a rugged men’s henley and a pair of the best work pants for spring adventures, days in the field and days kicked back at the outdoor beer garden. How’s that for versatility, ehh?
That versatility is also the name of the game with a pair of the best leather boots, a hard-working plain toe pair of leather boots — a pair that’s also 20 percent off with the code BEAU, lest we forget. Round it all out with one of the best men’s watches under $100, and pair that combination up with a stylish leather belt from Tanner Goods. Last but certainly not least, stock your fridge for spring with beers from a handy monthly craft beer club, and keep cracking ’em open with one of the coolest bottle openers out there. Does that check off your list of spring style needs to start things off right? I sure hope so. Cheers and happy shopping!