Editor’s note: Expect these posts once a week on Fridays — consider this a jumpstart on reading for your weekend downtime. Expect a mix of style and non-style content. For more entries, click here.
Perhaps you find yourself not paying attention to the runways or the sights and sounds of #NYFWM, the dedicated, NYC-hosted week for menswear writers, editors, buyers and industry pros to get their first look at upcoming seasonal collections. But after spending some time around great media and bloggers at a brand styling suite I helped run on behalf of Timberland, I must say — looking at the American iteration of fashion week is something you might consider. That’s especially true when perennial, classic favorites like Todd Snyder and Billy Reid step in the ring — after all, not every runway show is Zoolander-esque. Timberland-centric events gave me the terrific opportunity to connect with friends new and old, including my buddy Jamal of StyleSocietyGuy (the subject of this week’s Style Q+A), and my pals at Brothers & Craft (who are curating a consistently awesome men’s lifestyle site and brand). So even if you don’t pay attention to runway shows — something that’s admittedly not a huge focus for me, either — I’ve learned there are definitely things you can gleam from those around you, and that’s a rewarding part of any profession. And with that being said, it’s nearly time for me to go take a nice, long nap. And maybe enjoy a brew or two this weekend. Have fun with this week’s #menswear news recap in the meantime!
- Speaking of NYFWM, Dockers, of all brands, kicked off the second-ever event by hosting a star-studded party (by the way, don’t sleep on the brand’s Alpha Khakis).
- In honor of Super Bowl 50 this weekend, the stylish folks at Get Kempt tracked down the best menswear in San Francisco.
- The team at Well-Spent tells you the goods they’d rather blow their rent money on this month (hint: the piece includes a stellar American Trench merino watch cap).
- Long “Read” of the Week: If you believe in the transformative power of music, you’ll love this stunning photo series from Narratively (hence “read” in quotes, ya dig?).
Run out of things to read? Look no further.
- Take care of your Valentine’s Day shopping in one place with the Style Guide Valentine’s Day Gift Guide for your wife or girlfriend.
And on that note, if you made it to the end of this post — congrats! You’re free to enjoy your weekend.