A lightweight, durable pair of spring Chelsea boots.
Right off the bat, it might seem the stylish boots seen at the top of the page — the Danner Mountain 600 Chelsea Boots — are more suited for fall and winter than spring. Rest assured, that’s not the case. These are the lightweight hiking boots you need in your rotation, and they’ll look just as stylish as the brewpub for happy hour afterward this spring and summer (they’ll pair particularly well with slim light wash jeans, too). So, that’s how I’d encourage you to start your weekend — by picking up a pair of those Danner boots. From there, well, you can go just about anywhere.
That’s what I’m planning to do this weekend, at least. I’m hoping to check out a few noted spots in lovely Red Hook, a former maritime hub in Brooklyn that still retains its charm. Brunch at Fort Defiance is on tap, as is a stop at vintage menswear emporium Wooden Sleepers — I’ll be wearing my own pair of the Danner Mountain 600 Chelsea Boots, as it were. It’s been a rather quiet April on the travel front, but I’m gearing up for a big coastal trip next weekend — stay tuned there! And for now, check out all the new men’s style essentials and tips for spring below. Oh, and be sure to find me on Instagram, too. Cheers!
- If you want affordable grooming essentials that take all the little details into account, you want the Groundskeeper by Dollar Shave Club set of hard-working, spring-friendly men’s grooming essentials — and you’re in luck, because I covered it for GearMoose. Can’t go wrong with a seasonal grooming upgrade!
- As far as essential men’s sneakers go, there’s one particular style that can do a ton of heavy lifting for you — that would be a pair of the best white sneakers. From luxe leather options to hard-wearing canvas models from brands you know and love, read my full roundup over at The Manual.
- While we’re talking about upgrading and improving your spring style, it’s just as important to keep in mind that even your off-duty fits deserve an update. With that in mind, I’m going to direct you toward a full rundown of the best new men’s style gear as we discuss how to upgrade your casual spring style this season. From a classic slub tee to timeless high-top sneakers, we’ve got something for everybody — you’ll be the best-dressed guy at the bar this weekend.
That’s the end of today’s Friday Read, folks. Having fun yet? Still looking for something to read to wile away the day? Check out all of my tips on how to wear a classic T-shirt for spring, if you feel so inclined. Or, read about the stylish cotton blazer that’ll upgrade any outfit (but especially one featuring a classic chambray shirt and slim tan chinos). How does that sound? Just add a delicious spring beer and call it a day. Have a good one, folks!
It’s the end of a long week — treat yourself to some whiskey, and to a new whiskey glass in the process
OK, my friends. If you’re in the same boat as me, perhaps you might enjoy a nice, neat pour of a premium spirit in one of the best whiskey glasses on the market to end your Friday. How about it? The good news is, you can pick up many more of those unique Whiskey Peaks glasses as shown above at Huckberry. Now, to the rest of today’s Friday Read. We’ve kept plenty busy here to close out November — I spent the Thanksgiving holiday with my family in warm, sunny and relaxing Florida, enjoying a Jai Alai IPA and watching lots of football (you might have picked up on that via my Instagram). At any rate, it was a much-needed, very refreshing break from writing a ton about, yes, winter style essentials aplenty. Like the outfit you need to wear to your favorite brewery this weekend. And the best flannel shirt to buy now. Again, the work never stops. However!
It’ll come to a brief respite this afternoon, as I head to the lovely town of Hudson, New York (you might remeber it from a previous upstate winter getaway) to support a great cause and see some amazing live music. Yes indeed, today is the start of the Rally in the Valley, a full weekend of education and activism supporting Planned Parenthood in upstate New York. Along with community workshops and panel discussions, it’s kicked off on Friday night with a concert by none other than indie rock luminaries The National — my heroes and my forever band! Guitarist Aaron Dessner lives not too far from Hudson, and I’ve been very lucky to see them play two album release shows last summer (at the incredible Basilica Hudson). This time around, I’m more excited than ever for an intimate show at Hudson Hall. It’s going to be an amazing night for an amazing cause — and the rest of the weekend shouldn’t disappoint! I plan to hit up MOTO Coffee for a cup or two (or more) of delicious coffee, and I’m also thrilled to stay at Rivertown Lodge, complete with idyllic accomodations aplenty (say that five times fasts). For now though, we’ve got more menswear and craft beer to discuss. Read on!
- We start this portion of today’s Friday Read by talking about a gift for her — your partner, your spouse or your girlfriend. And this gift comes from one of my favorite online retailers, Bespoke Post. They make all kinds of menswear essentials (and I know we all love a great Bespoke Post Box), but the recently lauched Soothe Box (it’s just $55!) is one-of-a-kind, and an ideal way to put some care & thought into the holiday season. From a lovely candle to a clay face mask to body scrub, these are the essentials she deserves — get your shopping done early.
- On the craft beer front, I was fortunate enough last week to try the excellent Spruce Tip IPA from Upslope Brewing. This Colorado-based, Certified B Corporation has put a little something extra into this beer — besides the hand-picked spruce tips, that is. They work with organizations like Leave No Trace to produce beer that’s environmentally friendly — and delicious, to boot. Heck, that’s not all: The Spruce Tip IPA is particularly great out of a can.
- Staying sharp while on the road has arguably never been more important than right now — that’s why I wrote about the best men’s winter travel essentials over at The Manual! It features some gear picks from brands you know and love, including the Proof Rover Pants, stylish Darn Tough socks and even a rugged Jack Mason watch. Can’t get any better than that.
Also in the way of holiday-centric upgrades, I wrote about all of the best men’s grooming gifts
for GearMoose. You know, the gifts to give, well, any guy on your list who could use better skin care. So, your dad, your brother, your father-in-law … you catch my drift.
That’s going to close out today’s Friday Read. Did you find what you were looking for? Maybe stay on the site if not — we’ll tell you all about the best menswear to buy on sale this weekend. We’ll also get you outfitted with the perfect oufit to wear for a night in, because even laidback nights deserve proper style. Again, hopefully, you find what you need. Stay tuned for tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week, and have a great weekend!
Come along with me, plug in and enjoy yet another Friday Read as we kick off the last weekend in July, Style Guide readers — how crazy is that?? I’ve loved spending time everywhere from Grand Rapids to Detroit (and the tasty Batch Brewing!), and I know there are so many more adventures ahead. Starting, of course, with this weekend! The always-excellent Mo Pop Festival takes place at the city’s West Riverfront Park, and we’re thrilled to be able to see a diverse slate of acts, from Bon Iver to Alvvays (a favorite of both of ours!). Wondering what I’m packing? For starters, I’ll be wearing my Filson Feather Cloth Short-Sleeve Shirt! You can stay tuned on my Instagram for more, as always.
Elsewhere on the blog, it’s really been quite the month. We’ve covered a ton of stellar menswear as of late, if I do say so myself. From the best denim jacket to buy now to a stylish polo for summer adventures — and plenty of summer style shopping suggestions — I hope you’ve found this month’s content enlightening, engaging and yes, helpful. With all of that being said, I’ve got a flight to catch — and some tunes to enjoy! Have a great weekend.
- Alright, folks — there’s still time to shop the Mid-Year Clearance Sale from a preferred brand around these parts, Todd Shelton. This New Jersey-based, classically designed and carefully constructed brand makes everything from easy-to-wear T-shirts to standout denim to classic chambray shirts, and I’d recommend you shop their sale now.
- Planning one final camping trip or out-of-town getaway? Might I point you in the direction of this recent #OOTD featuring the best camping gear to wear now? From a tough waxed overshirt to essential Danner hiking boots, you really can’t go wrong.
- If you’re on the hunt for your perfect shave, I’d implore you to read my latest GearMoose feature, covering the best shaving creams for men. Get to it ASAP!
We’ll closing the books on another week here — what’s in store for you this weekend? Whatever your plans might be, I recommend you check out tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week — you certainly won’t regret it.
Thanks for reading!
First of all: Happy Friday, Style Guide readers? Are you ready for the weekend? Are you ready to close out March? Know that we’ve got plenty of spring style essentials, shopping picks and outfit suggestions coming your way across the next month. But for now, let’s turn our attention to another edition of The Friday Read. Most importantly, I’m hitting the road back to the Detroit area for the weekend today. I’m looking forward to exploring Detroit, visiting must-see spots like Third Man Records, and enjoying some excellent coffee, brunch and Bloody Mary’s (what more could you ask for out of a weekend!?). As I hit the road, I’ll likely be listening to a new favorite band of mine, Australian indie rockers Gang of Youths. I first saw this powerful, epic rock band last February and had the chance to see them again on Sunday at Bowery Ballroom — I’d recommend them, without a doubt. And in the meantime, I’d also recommend you check out this week’s featured reading — from my latest feature at The Manual to a piece that Wes Anderson lovers will surely enjoy, we’ve got something for everyone below. Enjoy!
- Over at The Manual, I wrote about the essentials you’re going to need for spring — from crucial layering moves to cool sneakers and a great watch, I hope you find these picks helpful as we bridge the gap between seasons.
- If you didn’t catch last week’s featured men’s style pick on the blog — that’d be the Iron & Resin Reserve Jacket — well, here’s your chance. Read that piece, buy that jacket and step out this weekend (and every other weekend, for that matter!).
- For lovers of both music and Wes Anderson films — of which I’m both — I thin you’ll greatly enjoy this excellent feature on the music behind his movies, and his overall approach. Some seriously cool stuff!
That’ll be the last of today’s featured articles, folks. Enjoy the weekend, and check back for our next Style Pick of the Week!
Check your watch, check your calendar and step on up — it’s officially spring, Style Guide readers. If that doesn’t get you amped to load up your shopping cart with spring style essentials, then I’m not sure what will (maybe this classic track from CHVRCHES to which I’m currently listening? Ehh?). At any rate, you can expect plenty of transitional style content here on the blog in the coming weeks — starting with tomorrow’s timely Style Pick of the Week. And for today’s Friday Read, we’ll cover travel style, we’ll cover the right way to wear your denim in these trying times, and we’ll cover weekend style upgrades for the guy with a wish list and some cash to burn. But if you just can’t wait to dive into how to dress this spring, might I suggest this essential #OOTD focused on classic, everyday spring style? It’s a good one, folks. OK, enough idle chitchat — let’s get to this week’s links. Shall we? Cheers.
- It’s been quite the month of March around these parts — or rather, around Ireland, Scotland and England! Read more about my adventures in the U.K. in my latest travel style post.
- Do you have a favorite pair of classic denim? I’d wager that you do — right? Maybe you even found it perusing the pages of this blog. At any rate, Esquire.com is here to remind us all about how your denim should fit in 2018.
- It’s perhaps no more relevant than it is right now — laidback weekend style, that is. GQ.com has 14 — yep, 14 — weekend style upgrades to shop right now. Get on it!
- Last but certainly not least, I rounded up the 12 best men’s hiking socks — yes, we’re getting as specific as hiking socks — over at GearMoose. Shop away!
And without further ado, I’d like to introduce you to your weekend. That’s it! We’ll see you tomorrow to tell you all about a new spring menswear essential that I think you’re definitely going to like.
Thanks for reading!
OK, Friday’s arrived once again — who’s amped?? It’s been a busy five-day work week here, not to mention a week packed with a heck of a lot of blog content. From my piece on the best weekender bag for spring travel (or, one of the best) to yet another look at casual winter layering via our #OOTD series, there’s been a lot of content to sink into these past few days. Closing out the week has me all the more excited for this weekend — in addition to prepping for a pretty big international (yep, international!) jaunt late next week, I’m pretty thrilled to be able to hit up a few choice spots for the much-lauded, much-loved NYC Beer Week. It’s a celebration of great craft beer, breweries and brewpubs around the city — think local, drink local, as it were. That means I’ll be checking out Marshall Stack in NYC’s Lower East Side tonight for a tap takeover by Gun Hill Brewing, a Bronx establishment that brews tasty concoctions like the solid Gun Hill IPA and the excellent Void of Light, a foreign stout. In short, what’s better than checking out a potential new favorite spot while enjoying a few much-loved beers? Not much — that’s the spirit of NYC Beer Week in a nutshell! It’s also, of course, the Big Ten Men’s Basketball Tournament here in New York City; with any luck, I’ll be at Madison Square Garden watching my beloved Spartans play for the Big Ten Tournament title on Sunday, too. Fingers crossed until then. Be sure to follow along on Instagram for all the action, and good luck wrapping up your week!
- Let’s kick things off by reimagining your sneaker closet. Premium sneaker brand KOIO — masters of crisp, easy-to-wear Italian-made sneakers — are back with a neat collab with ceramic artist Ben Medansky. The just-dropped Koio x Ben Medansky collab set of kicks draws inspiration from Medansky’s seriously cool ceramics work (right down to a piece of pottery threaded through the laces). These low-top sneakers also feature a striking blue sole and patterned leather based speckled ceramic pottery. They’re like a work of art for your feet, and a welcome change of pace from plain white leather sneakers (which Koio also happens to do very well). They’re extremely limited in terms of quantities — only 50 pairs were made — so act fast!
- Speaking of sneakers … surely you know GREATS, right? The Brooklyn purveyors of classic, very affordably priced sneakers are continuing to make waves in the footwear industry — and if you’re based out West, you’ll now be able to make the brand your own! That’s right, GREATS just opened its first store in California, great news for sneakerheads out in Cali. The shop is located at 1505 Abbot Kinney Blvd in Venice, and it opened back in February. As the brand says, it “marks a unique pivot in the digitally-native brand’s growth.” What does all of that mean for you? It means that if you live in Venice or LA, your sneaker game just got a BIG upgrade.
- In the way of non-footwear upgrades, let’s talk winter skincare. If your skin could use a refresh right about now, I think we’re in the same boat. Ao Skincare, out of New Zealand, could be just the brand to reach for the next time you want to amp up your grooming routine. They combine nature and science, using unique cold-processed formulas that result in some seriously excellent product (I’ve been testing out the brand these past few months). Let me know in the comments if you’re going to give ’em a shot yourself?
Alright, folks — that’s all for today’s Friday Read. Catch you for the Style Pick of the Week tomorrow!
Thanks for reading,
It’s everyone’s absolute favorite day of the week — Friday — and time for everyone’s absolute favorite blog feature, The Friday Read. We’ve been quite busy these past few weeks, telling you all about the best hiking boots to buy now, plus the best men’s gear to close out winter; it’s hard work to keep the lights on (figuratively speaking, at least). What’s on your radar in terms of gear purchases for these next few weeks of cold weather? There’s at least some light at the end of the tunnel — before you know it, I’m sure we’ll be talking about your spring style wish list and all the gear you can’t wait to break out for the weeks and months ahead. For now though, we’ve got some work to do. I’m back in Brooklyn this weekend after a winter trip to Grand Rapids, which was filled with cold beer, winter style essentials and great times with my family and friends. It’s not too often that I get to take those types of trips, so I certainly welcomed it. If you didn’t catch all the action on my Instagram, I’d suggest you check it all out (and maybe give me a follow — nudge, nudge). In the meantime, we’ve done the easy work of starting the weekend for you — let’s talk a bit of music, plus some highly durable (and coveted) outerwear. Cheers to the weekend!
- One look at the photos here is all you need to know — the Engineered Garments x Barbour collaboration truly is something special, blending the unique touch that both brands have for taking quality heritage staples and mashing them up just ever so slightly. The one catch is that pieces from the collaboration don’t drop until fall 2018 — hey, a guy can dream until then, right?
- If you follow The Style Guide regularly, you’re well aware of my passion for music (along with #menswear). That passion is perhaps no better exemplified than by the well-tailored members of my favorite band, The National! They sure do come up on this blog a lot, and with good reason. The indie rock group — formed in Brooklyn, but from Cincinnati, is curating its own festival back in Ohio this spring featuring fellow indie luminaries like Future Islands, Alvvays, Feist and Father John Misty. Oh, and another thing! They’ll be playing their iconic 2007 album, “Boxer,” in full that weekend. The news dropped this past week, and you can learn more at the link above. And another thing — I positively can’t wait to be there in April!
- This next bit has been in the news these past few weeks — namely, the aftershocks from L.L. Bean ending its much-loved (and much over-used) lifetime return policy. Now, Esquire.com reports someone is suing L.L. Bean for ending its return policy. You can’t make this stuff up, folks.
- Last but certainly not least — when is a gym bag … not just a gym bag? When it’s the Hard Graft Gym Bag, that’s when. I took a look at the stellar specs and standout style behind this piece recently for GearMoose.
That’s going to wrap things up for me today — how about you? Enjoy the weekend, and follow along with the rest of my adventures via Instagram, if you so choose!
Thanks for reading,
If you can believe it, we had to call an audible when it came to last week’s Friday Read given the hectic pace and scheduling of New York Fashion Week: Men’s. (Runway shows! Collection previews! Afterparties!). But I’m pleased to report that we’re back this week, and better than ever — well, hopefully. Who else is looking forward to the weekend? Was our guide to what to wear on Valentine’s Day this week helpful? You can be sure we’ll have more #OOTD content — and tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week — on the way very soon. On that note, did you catch last week’s Style Pick of the Week? The Taylor Stitch Winslow Jacket is about as good as it gets when it comes to adventure-ready weekend style. And speaking of weekend adventures… this weekend is an exciting, busy one as well. I’m hitting the road back to Grand Rapids to see childhood friends, enjoy Beer City U.S.A (!) and visit my family (including four nieces and nephews!). It’s going to be a jam-packed, super enjoyable weekend, dovetailing off my trip last February to Grand Rapids (and quickly becoming a tradition for me?). At any rate, you can catch all the action live on Instagram and Instagram Stories (of course). In the meantime, enjoy the weekend — cheers!
- So, the iconic, much-discussed and much-debated seminal indie album “In the Aeroplane Over the Sea” by Neutral Milk Hotel turned 20 last week; can ya believe it? It might have been just a bit before my time, but it’s an album worth studying & appreciating — as Pitchfork noted in its review upon its reissue some years ago … a perfect 10! What’s your take?
- The Winter Olympics are here — in the spirit of keeping you in the loop on the festivities, our pals at Esquire.com published the lazy person’s guide to the Winter Olympics; good enough, right?
- Perhaps you’ve seen this news already, but last week, L.L. Bean announced it was changing its return policy, a famously accommodating one at that; will you be taking more care of your Bean Boots from now on?
- Lastly, let’s talk what you’re drinking this weekend — the Samuel Adams Sam ’76 brew is my latest write-up over at GearMoose, and you might just want to track it down and raise a glass this weekend. Who’s with me?
Hopefully, the above features helped you start your weekend the right way — see you for tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week!
We’ve powered through the week and we’re staring down the weekend — that’s a heck of a good feeling, right? We kept busy at The Style Guide this week, serving you up an #OOTD that covers how to wear a crewneck sweater this winter (in a way that even works at the office, if you can believe it!). We also went behind the scenes on my latest men’s style road trip, this time to Florida for a birthday weekend at Disney World — a truly great time was had by all, to say the least! We stopped at countries “around the world” at Epcot, we checked out the wonders of Animal Kingdom and we even spent a jam-packed day at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter — not bad at all, right? I’m now looking forward to a laidback weekend, likely featuring some craft beers at Gold Star Beer Counter, plus some time spent in Prospect Park (and a likely trip to my favorite coffee-and-menswear spot in the city, Upstate Stock). Before we get to that, we’re rounding a day in the office — and helping you do the same — with some choice links for your perusal (and potential listening pleasure). Sound like a plan? Without further ado, let’s get this going.
- Esquire.com will kick off this edition of the Friday Read for us, namely the lauded (if struggling) retailer’s take on new dress shirts — stock up, maybe? Or maybe not?
- On a music-related note, this past week was a pretty big one for my favorite band, Ohio-born indie rockers The National — these well-dressed gentlemen took home the Grammy for Best Alternative Album! “Sleep Well Beast” was one of my favorite albums of this past year, and I think it’s a well-deserved accolade. Read more with the band’s Aaron Dessner at the link above.
- I absolutely love me a great pair of shoes — especially retro-inspired high-tops like the Converse Chuck 70 Wordmark, which I wrote about for GearMoose. Step into ’em, lace up and get ready to step out in style!
- I don’t know about you, but I found this Esquire.com piece on WeWork — the global “shared-space nerve center,” as Esquire says — to be quite fascinating. What say you?
That’s going to close out this week’s Friday Read — until the next one (and until tomorrow’s Style Pick — enjoy your weekend!)
It’s time to grab your favorite brew, kick back and throw on your favorite band — it’s Friday, after all. And of course, that means the Friday Read is here to welcome you back into the weekend with open arms. I’m certainly glad the week is done — namely, that means this dispatch is coming to you from sunny Florida, where I’ve jetted south to spend the next few days with my family at Walt Disney World for a birthday weekend! On the docket? Well, other than warm-weather #menswear aplenty, we’ve got plans to visit Hollywood Studios and Magic Kingdom, and Saturday is the day where I’ll be taking on the fun (yet infamous?) challenge of imbibing at every single “country” around the world at Disney’s Epcot. It won’t get too out of control, I presume. Either way, I’m planning on recapping it all on the blog here on Monday, and you can follow along in real time on Instagram, too. Let me know what’s on your plate this weekend via the comments or The Style Guide Facebook page. Let’s get to it!
- Esquire.com can always be counted on for affordble, easy-to-wear style that comes through in the clutch. That’s the case with its new and ongoing series “The Endorsement,” which breaks down one stellar item and brand in a particular category — in this case, we’re talking high-end sneakers to buy now. Not bad, ehh?
- Have you dealt with your own version of the polar vortex yet? If not — or even if you just want to stock up on #menswear for the next one — these are my standout picks for what to wear for the polar vortex, via The Manual. Enjoy and stay warm!
- Perhaps you’ve seen this by now, but one of everyone’s favorite action heroes, Tom Hardy, apparently dropped a mixtape back in 1999 that, well, might be worth listening to? For what it’s worth, I don’t think “dropped a mixtape” has ever been taped here on the pages of The Style Guide. Onward!
- The search for the right winter jacket can be taxing and frustrating, so I’d hope that this site’s ongoing See Now, Buy Now series can lend a little relief. On that note, the Tom Beckbe Tensaw Jacket might just be a perfectly durable, perfectly tough and perfectly stylish coat to buy this very instant. Start the weekend right, yeah?
That’ll close out today’s Friday Read. Enjoy the weekend!