Editor’s note: Expect these posts once a week on Fridays — consider this a jumpstart on reading for your weekend downtime. Expect a mix of style and non-style content. For more entries, click here.
Last week’s Friday Read dove in a bit with the unexpected — that is, a larger look at the excellent JackThreads TryOuts program. But we’re back this Friday with a look at Governor’s Ball and more. Before we kick it off, are you all caught up on The Style Guide front? If not, check out a recent trip upstate I took for Memorial Day weekend (crucial #menswear in tow, of course). And read up on the essential white sneakers you need for summer, while we’re here. The holiday means it’s a busy and short week, made even shorter by the fact that I’m cutting work (just kidding) to attend day one of three of the excellent Governor’s Ball music festival here in NYC! It’s been a long time in the planning, and I’m excited to welcome in two great college friends for a weekend of fun, outstanding music from the likes of The Strokes, The Killers, HAIM, MisterWives, Cold War Kids and plenty more. It’s pretty special to be able to attend such a jam-packed festival solely by taking the subway, so that’s very exciting. I’m also teaming up with the great folks at CAT Footwear to share a few photos of my gear across the weekend, so be on the lookout for that via Instagram — and look for a full festival recap on Monday. For now, recap the week in men’s style news with a few choice links below.
- So, affordable style is the name of the game (for the most part) around these parts, and GQ.ccovers 12 style essentials under $100 that you need for summer.
- I’ve really been digging the content I’ve been reading from the new issue of Esquire, particularly the outlook of its new Esquire editor-in-chief Jay Fielden — his first letter from the editor is definitely worth a read.
- On another style-related front, the fine purveyors of some of my favorite sneakers, Brooklyn’s GREATS, have teamed up with menswear aficionado Josh Peskowitz and his much-lauded new store, Magasin, on a seriously cool update to its Pronto sneaker (which is crafted from fine Italian suede). Get the GREATS x Magasin Pronto before it’s too late, seriously.
- In music news (and even if you’ve heard), The Strokes released their new single, “Oblivius,” last week — it’s the first new tune from the band in three years, and I’m particularly excited to hear it live tonight!
In other matters of men’s style, we’ve got you covered:
- Staying cool is paramount as it gets hot out — that’s why I had a ton of fun writing up the five best linen shirts for summer via The Manual. I’ll be putting together my own piece in that regard for this site later this summer, too.
Thanks, as always, for reading — let’s rock!