Simply gorgeous boots that pack a punch when it comes to winter functionality.
Lately as we kick off every Friday Read — our weekly recap of the things to know in men’s style — we’ve been spotlighting a standout series of winter style essentials. That continues today with the beautiful, investment-worthy Yuketen Maine Guide Boots, exclusive to our pals at Huckberry. There’s really not a pair of rugged leather boots quite like these ones, what with their handmade construction, an eight-layer midsole and the use of Horween leather. Again, the Yuketen Maine Guide Boots belong on your list of fall weekend essentials. As it were, that’s why we’re here today. I’m coming off a weekend to remember back in my home state of Michigan, deep in the woods near Big Rapids, celebrating my best friend Mr. Chris Spyke’s bachelor party! A rustic log cabin and plenty of beer & chicken wings proved the perfect way to acknowledge the occasion (and if you follow me on Instagram, maybe you saw I broke out my Huckberry Duck Boots)! At any rate, it was an amazing and refreshing weekend deep in the Michigan wilderness, complete with a light snowfall — what could be more perfect? For now, I’ve turned my attention back here to Brooklyn. This weekend, I hope to visit one of my favorite menswear shops, the well-appointed Modern Anthology, and I’m also looking forward to venturing out to UpNorth, a Canadian-themed bar in Bushwick (this cold weather is really getting into me). What’s on your weekend agenda? Besides checking out the below Friday Read, shopping for some men’s style essentials & reading our Style Pick of the Week? Get it all started here. Thanks for reading!
It’s official — the fleece jacket is back, and better than ever. When it comes to cozy, essential casual style — especially for the holiday season — you’d do worse than to read my roundup of the best fleece jackets
over at GearMoose.
- Our friends at Esquire, ever focused on refinement for the modern man, tell you how to host a party this winter. Not a pregame, a real party. I hope to try out that pre-batched Manhattan recipe soon!
Is there any season in which a pair of casual blue jeans
won’t work? Nope, there’s truly not. That’s why I’m sharing once again my take on a new favorite pair of jeans
from my pals at Huckberry. They’re laidback, they’re comfortable, and they’ll work as readily at Thanksgiving dinner as they will on a weekend coffee date. Cheers!
I talk often about the best men’s style essentials, especially for transitional weather. In that same vein, you won’t misstep if you read my guide to the best men’s winter boots
, as compiled for The Manual.
OK, that’s going to give you the go-ahead to get started on your weekend. Looking for one last thing to read before you go? Check out this go-to fall and winter layer from Buffalo Jackson. Better yet, get yourself a new field watch to wear it with. Alright, I’ll leave you to it — have a great weekend!
A comfortable, soft flannel that’s brushed for comfort & ready to take on fall and winter.
Ahh, yes. Another Friday, another edition of The Friday Read … and another recommendation for the best fall menswear to buy now. Specifically, the handsome, versatile Proof Heatseeker Flannel— made from brushed polyester flannel for comfort and movement — is leading us off to start the weekend. In short, the Heatseeker Flannel will go anywhere you go, from the office to happy hour, and it’ll look great doing it. Now, onto the rest of today’s entry. Have you made sure to keep up with the blog as we get you fully prepped for this season? We’re looking at Thanksgiving just a few weeks away — dressing in style for the occasion is crucial, and we’ll have more content in that regard next week on the blog via our #OOTD series. In other matters: We debuted a new look on The Style Guide this week! What do you think of it? Feel free to let me know on Twitter. And elsewhere: I’m very, VERY excited to be heading back to my home state of Michigan this weekend for my kindergarten (yep!) best friend’s bachelor party! What’s on tap? Plenty of amazing Michigan craft beer, plus college football (Go Green!) and of course, the chance to break out some of my rugged fall gear as we spend the weekend at a log cabin retreat. To keep up with all the action, you know where to go — follow me on Instagram, and then be sure to join us again tomorrow for another edition of the Style Pick of the Week. OK, I’ve got a flight to catch — thanks for reading!
- We’ve been rolling through November for a while now, which means it’s time to turn our attention toward men’s health. Believe you me, it’s not too late to get into the spirit of Movember — my friend John Jones at The Manual dives into why, exactly, it’s worthwhile for us fellas.
- The chill of winter is going to be bearing down on us in short order, which is why I rounded up the best men’s parkas for GearMoose! There’s something for every price point and every style, without a doubt.
- In the way of other other men’s style essentials you need for fall, you can add stylish leather boots to your list — such as the Rhodes Dean Boots, a handsome and low-profile pair of sleek leather boots that I again covered for GearMoose. Lace up, then hit the road.
Still want something else to read? Check out thebest henley to buy for fall. Or, busy yourself reading about the all-weather boots you need in your closet (and on your feet). Still not ready to go back to work? Check out a recent edition of the Friday Read, covering the best leather boots and the best live music venues out there. They go hand-in-hand, right? OK, that’s all for now.
You see the Flint and Tinder Mill Pants pictured aobve? To me, they’re a fall style essential — and the ideal way to kick off today’s Friday Read. They’ll work for a brewery visit — or brewing your own beer. They’ll work for a day hike. They’ll work for an impromptu weekend coffee date. They’ll work anywhere you do, mostly. Who’s with me? And wh’ else is ready for the weekend? We’ve kept busy as of late on the blog, telling you all about the best new field watch to pick up for the season, while also keeping you updated on all the men’s style picks your wardrobe deserves. And if you’re anything like me, you’re likely very excited that the weather is taking a turn toward fall. For me, that means plenty of time spent in Prospect Park and enjoying rich fall beers at places like the excellent Greenpoint Beer & Ale. How about you? It’s not all fun and games, though.
As a matter of fact, by the time you check back on Monday (after you read tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week, of course), we’ll have a new look on the blog — new fonts, a new design and layout, the whole nine yards. Or at least, we’ll give it a shot. And here’s where you come in: However you feel about the new look (is it better or worse? Cool or lame!?), I’d urge you to please let me know on Twitter or via The Style Guide Facebook group. It’s a change I haven’t taken lightly — after all, it’s my name on the blog! And you and I both (likely) love the current layout. But change is afoot. So, please let me know once we get those changes rolling! And in the meantime, you can peruse the below Friday Read … and then come back for the Style Pick of the Week. Cheers!
- OK, so in the way of excellent live music, I’ve truly been floored by the passion and talent of Maggie Rogers, New York City’s own. She recently released a new music video, and you’d do well to check it out — and perhaps think about the state of pop music — via Consequence of Sound.
- If you keep up with my work on The Manual, perhaps you saw this piece on Mott & Bow and the brand’s new cashmere sweaters — they’re crisp, minimal and easy to pair with stylish M&B denim. Just in time for fall, too.
- And on to more menswear — I always try to do the best I can when it comes to rounding up fall style essentials, and if you’re still in search of a few picks to round out your wardrobe, I’d urge you to click on that hyperlink right there.
- Speaking of menswear essentials, there’s still time to add some stylish fall sneakers to your wardrobe — you’d do well to make that move right now with the New Balance x Todd Snyder Pale Ale 990V3, which I covered for GearMoose. A word of wisdom: These sneakers would wear well with the Flint and Tinder Stonewashed Jeans or the Flint and Tinder Mill Pants as seen above. Pair them up with a real pale ale on a chilly fall night for some seasonally friendly flavor … and style.
That’s going to wrap up this week’s edition of The Friday Read — again, stay posted for the best new menswear of the week tomorrow, and then hold onto your horses for a whole new edition of The Style Guide very soon. Thanks for reading!
Unbelievably excellent boots for fall and winter — just what the doctor ordered.
First things first: Those boots right there are the Rhodes Dean Boots, and these Portuguese-built boots might be some of the best fall boots your money can buy. They’re simply perfect for the season, and I’m highlighting ’em with good reason today — trust me, you’d do well to shop these essential men’s boots. Now, on to business. We’ve made it to Friday — the final Friday in October, no less! I’ve spent this week taking in the changing seasons in New York City, and after a very busy and hectic couple of weeks, I couldn’t be happier to have some time off, some rest and some tasty coffee & craft beer on tap in Brooklyn these next few days. Have you been keeping up with the blog? If not, I’d urge you to get on board with the men’s style essentials you need for the season, plus the best leather jacket to buy now (as covered in last week’s Friday Read!). We’ve also told you all about how to wear sneakers this fall — complementing classic, retro-inspired footwear is easy when you’ve got rugged shirting and easygoing accessories, in short. It’s not all about menswear on the blog, though. Earlier this week, I had the very cool chance to check out a VIP media dinner (yes, I’m very important!) at John Doe Craft Bar & Kitchen with the excellent West Coast-based beer purveyors at Anchor Brewing! Led by Brewmaster Scott Ungermann, one of the highlights was assuredly a chance to try the brewery’s famed, 44th Annual Christmas Ale — a true and delicious rarity, it was simply incredible. Be on the lookout for it starting November 1st! So, with all of that in the books, I’m very much looking forward to the weekend. Start yours the right way below, my friends. Thanks for reading!
- Let’s kick this thing off with rugged fall menswear aplenty — namely, I rounded up my top fall style picks from Filson for The Manual. From hard-wearing bags to layering-ready shirting, this Pacific Northwest brand consistently delivers.
- As a huge fan of live music — and a fan of hitting the road to see some excellent live music — I loved reading this Consequence of Sound piece on the best music venues in 10 American cities. What’s your favorite venue in your city? Any places you’re dying to check out?
- We’re flashing it back here on the blog to this post on a true fall style essential — your favorite fall jeans from Flint and Tinder (that’d be the Flint and Tinder Stonewashed Jeans, as an FYI). Pick up a pair, throw ’em on and style them with a rugged flannel shirt and tough brown leather boots.
- I mentioned this earlier, but it’s been a heck of a busy and beer-filled week, thanks in particular to the evening I spent on Wednesday with Anchor Brewing — on that note, it was my pleasure to cover the Anchor Brewing Fog Breaker IPA for GearMoose, a seasonally friendly beer that’s here just in time for the weekend.
Alright, so that’s our Friday Read for you. Feel like following along with my weekend escapdes? Be sure we’re connected on Instagram. Need something else to keep you busy. Read more about the fall corduroy pants to buy now. Or, check out my guide on how to wear a denim shirt for fall and winter. OK, that’s all I’ve got for now.
Enjoy your weekend!
So, this weekend marks a pivotal turning point in the calendar (and yes, in your search for men’s style essentials). Tomorrow is officially, truly the first day of fall! If you’re anything like the savvy shopper I think you are, perhaps you’ve been keeping up with our ongoing entries on layering for fall, or the best fall boots. That being said, there’s still time to prepare — it’s the best season for menswear, and I’ll say that day after day if I have to. How are you enjoying the season? For me, fall is about taking in the crisp weather in NYC and Michigan, and enjoying more seasonally inclined favorites (Octoberfest brews, anyone?). On that note, I had the chance to swing by a special NYC launch party last week (at Our Wicked Lady) for Canadian brewers Collective Arts Brewing — from hazy IPAs to a neat Guava Gose, these Hamilton-based brewers seamlessly blend excellent beers with custom artwork and cool ways to support musicians. It’s an innovative and entrepreneurial approach to craft beer that injects some life into the industry. Speaking of beer and live music …
This weekend in particular is one that blends both those fine categories! That specifically means I’m heading back to Michigan for my first trip to the Audiotree Music Festival (in the beer-centric city of Kalamazoo!) with my wonderful fiancée Laura! On our list to see on Saturday? Headliners Local Natives, a favorite band of both of ours! They make incredibly poignant and lovely music, and some amazing songs in particular (including the poetic “Everything All at Once.”) To say they’re an important part of our relationship would surely be an understatement, and it’s helpful that they’re a band of kind, talented, caring (and very stylish!) guys. What’s more, it’ll be very fun to see them for the first time since Govenors Ball 2017 — prior to that, I caught the band in a spring 2017 trip to Pittsburgh. Of course, bands like Brooklyn indie rockers Diet Cig should also prove pretty fun to see at Audiotree, what with their unique blend of energetic, punk-inspired rock. Aside from Audiotree, Laura and I are both looking forward to catching up with family and relaxing in Pure Michigan. What are you listening to this weekend? What are you wearing this weekend? Feel free to let know on Twitter, or follow along on Instagram.
Let’s keep it easy to start: Looking for a stylish and surprisingly affordable crewneck sweatshirt? The folks at Gustin have you covered — read more at Well-Spent
- Speaking of stylish and essential gear, I covered the best men’s leather belts for my buddies at The Manual. There are some of my favorite brands of the moment featured, including WP Standard (see more of them on my Instagram) and of course, Abercrombie & Fitch (makers of your new favorite chinos).
- And last but not least: Fall, for me, means stepping into a stylish pair of leather boots (kind of like the Rancourt & Co. Wolf Boots, for starters). That’s why it was such a pleasure to be able to speak to the inimitable Mr. Todd Snyder about his latest collaboration, the excellent Red Wing x Todd Snyder 877 Moc Toe Boots. They’re durable, they’re exceptionally well-made, and they look seriously great. Try them out for yourself, soon.
That’s going to do it for me today, my friends. I’ve got a music festival to attend and some brews to enjoy — cheers!
Does it feel strange to be barreling through September and looking toward (gulp) October? It seems to me like it was just yesterday we were talking about the best menswear to close out summer, doesn’t it? At any rate, we’re well and truly in full-on fall prep mode. I’ve got a couple exciting early fall men’s style features in the works for GearMoose and The Manual for which I’m really PUMPED about (yes, PUMPED). More on that soon. And in the meantime, I’m very much looking forward to taking an evening flight back to Pure Michigan to see my lovely fiancée Laura. We’ve got a relaxing weekend on tap, one no doubt fueled by iced coffee and perhaps a trip to the new Founders Brewing Detroit Taproom — what about you? If you need to shop for fall style essentials, this blog has you covered. If you simply want to find your new favorite pair of denim, again, your trusty friends at The Style Guide are here to help. And if you’re just looking for something to read or peruse? Again, check out the latest Friday Read. Thanks for being along for the ride!
- My buddies at The Manual always keep things sharp and in line when it comes to your everyday carry essentials — and their post on the best men’s wallets is no different. Keeping your cards handy no matter what will only help you this fall — trust me on that.
- Last but not least, here’s a bit of music news for you — if you haven’t yet checked out the emotive, powerful indie rock being put out by Lindsey Jordan in Snail Mail, well, here’s my recommendation. Simply put, Snail Mail’s debut album, “Lush,” is just excellent. In fact, you can hear it coming to a venue near you soon — Snail Mail just extended their tour recently. Get on board, plug in and rock out.
And that, ladies and gentlemen, brings us to the conclusion of another Friday Read. You can be sure we’re gearing up for a great weekend — and a great Style Pick of the Week tomorrow, no less. Still in need of something to read? This #OOTD shows you how to wear a chambray shirt. Heading to a weekend rock concert? Dress like this. OK, folks — that’s all I’ve got. Cheers!
My dear friends and Style Guide readers, can you believe it’s Friday again already — and time for another Friday Read, at that? It’s pretty wild, but we’re nearly staring down Labor Day weekend. Are you ready for it? I already can’t wait to be headed back to Pure Michigan next Friday for a long weekend with my wonderful fiancée Laura. In fact, Laura and I had an amazing (and long!) New York visit last weekend, strolling through Prospect Park and visiting iconic spots like the Brooklyn Museum and Grand Central Station. We also had a great dinner on Monday night at the excellent Blue Ribbon Brooklyn, featuring plenty of fresh seafood and Brooklyn classics.
Needless to say, I already can’t wait for our next visit! But for now, we’ve got business to take care of when it comes to men’s style essentials and preparing for changing seasons. The hot weather seems to have stuck around unusually long this year, so while we wait for that first crisp fall breeze, you should be focused on transitional pieces that tackle the current season swiftly (things like a stylish denim jacket and durable leather lace-up boots). Just know that in due time, we’ll be stepping out in rugged style essentials for brewery visits, football games and more fall fun. So, that’s what I’m excited about at the moment — along with an upcoming Brooklyn summer weekend featuring lots of iced coffee and a few craft brews. What about you? Let me know on Twitter, or join us at The Style Guide Facebook page. Thanks for reading!
- If I were you, I’d want to stay as cool as possible these last few weeks of summer — Esquire is recommending a lightweight blazer to help you beat the heat in style. Shop accordingly (and be sure to check out my guide on how to wear a blazer with a T-shirt! Bingo).
- Speaking of stylish, lightweight blazers, what say we revisit this #OOTD that covers how to beat the heat in style? It’s worth keeping in mind even as the calendar approaches September — how crazy is that?
- And in that same vein — staying cool and beating the heat — perhaps it would behoove you to check out the Rumpl Beer Blanket, a handy craft beer accessory that I covered for GearMoose recently. Take a bunch of ’em out on your next weekend caming trip (Side note: Check out my picks for the best men’s camping gear) or football tailgate this fall. You won’t regret it!
- Lastly — in the way of classic men’s style essentials that transition from season to season with ease, surely this list of the best men’s Oxford shirts will come in mighty handy (I pulled it together for The Manual, after all!). And if you can’t get enough stylish Oxford shirts, and want another option, you might as well read this site’s post on the best Oxford shirt to buy now, as well.
That’s going to wrap up today’s Friday Read. Still in the mood for more men’s style content? Read all about the best leather watch to buy right now. Or, stock up on more menswear essentials to close out summer. We’ve got you covered!