The best T-shirt for a summer weekend? Sure is!
Just one look at the above Friday Read tells you all you need to know — we’ve got a packed rundown today, starting off with the best new T-shirt to buy for summer. We’re talking, of course, about the Flint and Tinder Heavyweight Triblend Tee as seen above. It’s geared to be worn with everything from chino shorts to slim light wash denim — but you’re not here for that, right? No, sir. Let’s close out the week in style (or at least, we’ll close up shop until tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week).
After a couple very busy weekends in a row seeing my favorite band, The National — including a trip down South to the amazing Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival & a jaunt to Montreal — I’ll be spending this weekend in Brooklyn. As to Montreal, I can’t recommend the city’s mix of culinary delights (a la amazing meats at Maison Publique) and surprisingly delicious craft beer (the mix of French and Belgian influences at places like Isle De Garde was very neat to experience) enough. Throw in a killer show by The National playing old and new classics at Place des Arts, and you’ve got the recipe for a banner weekend. Oh, and for poutine and classic “greasy spoon” dishes, head to the Montreal Pool Room. Coffee and bagels? Fairmount Bagels has you covered. Can you tell I’m a big fan??
How about your plans for this weekend? I’m looking forward to catching up on the coffee scene at my favorite Brooklyn coffee shop, Milk & Honey, and I’m also looking forward to catching up on the craft beer scene at another favorite Brooklyn haunt, the always excellent Sycamore Bar & Flower Shop. As ever, you can check out how I’m dressing for a stylish summer weekend over at my Instagram. In the meantime, let’s get on with today’s Friday Read. Thanks for spending some of your weekend here!
- There’s one essential men’s grooming brand — among many, naturally — that should be on your radar this season. That brand is the aptly named Beau Brummel for Men, purveyors of everything from an effective charcoal face mask to an excellent daily moisturizer. Give my latest for The Manual a quick read to get up to speed!
- We’re going to pivot here briefly back to one of my other passions — that’d be craft beer, and specifically, some of the best beer for summer. Namely, I’ll point you toward GearMoose to read all about New Belgium’s Passion Fruit Kolsch, one heck of a light, essential beer for the warmer months.
- And in the spirit of summer style — and summer style essentials — I’m going to close things up here by pointing you back toward some of the best shorts for summer. Make no mistake, this is ever more critical with the Fourth of July quickly approaching. Best start shopping now.
Still searching for one last critical purchase in advance of the weekend? Check out my guide to the best gear for summer — if you’re not already enamored with many of those gear picks, that is. OK, it’s time for me to sign off and head out to enjoy a summer weekend. To follow along with what I’m up to, check out my profile on Instagram. That’s all for now — cheers!
The dependable and trail-ready shorts you need for a summer weekend.
If it’s a summer weekend — which it most definitely is — then you need a pair of functional, adventure-ready shorts. You need the Coalatree Trailhead Shorts, in fact; they’ll take you anywhere you need to go, from a music festival to a brewery and everywhere in between. Are you packing up these stylish shorts?
For me, what I’m packing and wearing this weekend has perhaps never been more critical — I’m heading down South to the revered Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival for the first time ever! The occasion, of course, is none other than a Saturday night festival concert by my favorite band (yes, THE NATIONAL) as they play tracks from their new album “I Am Easy To Find,” plus old favorites. I’m seriously so thrilled and excited to be able to make this trip; although I was hesitant in years past to head to The ‘Roo (the camping element makes things difficult), the introduction of one-day passes means I’ll be able to spend some time exploring Nashville (as I did in a previous September 2017 trip) while also looking forward to some standout music from my favorite band — and plenty others, including indie rock luminaries Hippo Campus. To follow along with all the fun, join me on Instagram, or else check out my Twitter. And for now, let’s get your own weekend started the right way — with my Friday Read picks below — cheers!
- For my friends at The Manual, I covered your new favorite chinos from Bonobos — they’re made from organic cotton, and in an agreeable & tailored fit. How can it get any better than that, right? Wear them with classic suede chukka boots and a slim navy polo any day of the week.
- So, Father’s Day is getting shockingly close — and we likely all know what it’s like to have a dad or father figure who’s tricky to shop for (especially if he’s got a more off-the-beaten-path hobby like indulging in rare whiskey). On that note, I covered the excellent George Dickel Bottled-in-Bond Whisky for GearMoose — get ready to taste the best whiskey you didn’t know you needed, in short.
- We mentioned above about the slim navy polo you need to wear with your new Bonobos chinos — well, my friends, one of the best men’s polos for summer can be found in my post about the new Wellen Hemp Polo. If you missed this post last week, read up accordingly now. Cheers!
That’s just about going to wrap up today’s Friday Read — where are you headed this weekend? Wherever your travels take you, be sure to get around in style with my guide on how to dress for summer travel. Elsewhere, read about the classic white sneakers that are also going to elevate your weekend. Until tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week, enjoy your Friday, folks!
The perfect suit to wear to a summer wedding? It might be!
Summer weekends can fill up in a hurry, can’t they? Why, this weekend, I’ve got a ticket to see iconic NYC rockers The Strokes play at perhaps my favorite music festival, the city’s own Governors Ball! In fact, it’ll be my second time seeing them in about a week — wild! (You know that if you follow me on Instagram, of course). And on top of that, I’m hosting college friends for a quick weekend trip — I sense some craft beer and lots of stories about Michigan State and The State News in the near future for yours truly. What’s on your summer weekend to-do list? If it happens to be a summer shindig, and you’re perhaps wondering what to wear to a summer wedding, well, the Taylor Stitch Telegraph Suit as pictured above is a great place to start. Or, you can always shop my picks for the best men’s gear for summer if you’ve got something more casual in mind (I.E. A summer music festival or a summer happy hour). Aside from that, if you’re simply savoring a relaxing summer weekend at home, well … enjoy it! Maybe turn on The Strokes and crack open a cold one. In the meantime, check out my favorite style reads of the week. Cheers!
OK, got all that in mind as you head to the beach, the pool or the park this weekend? If you still want one last thing to read before you clock out this week, you best check out my #OOTD on how to wear a denim shirt for summer — and a summer weekend in particular. That’s all from me today, folks!
The slim denim you need for the weekend ahead.
Are you geared up and ready for the weekend? Surely not yet, right? Or at least, not without a pair of slim light wash denim from Mott and Bow, correct? This brand makes comfortable, premium jeans that are as fit for a casual Friday (like today!) as they are for your weekend escapades — in fact, I might just be wearing mine soon as I hit the road. That’s right, I’ve got another very, very exciting trip upcoming! I’ll be heading back to Portland, Oregon (I was last there in September 2017 to see Future Islands play!) this weekend, and the occasion is just as special this time around. I absolutely love this city for its mix of old and new, with a refreshing contemporary-yet-authentic vibe (don’t believe those who compare it to “Portlandia” … all the time, at least). I’ll be heading to this great Northwest city to see one of my favorite bands, lauded California indie rockers Local Natives,play what should be a wonderful live show behind their excellent recent album “Violet Street” — it’s assuredly one of my favorites this year so far, and they always put on an astounding show! Of course, you can follow along with me on Instagram as I hit up spots like Hopworks Brewery, Blue Star Donuts and Courier Coffee (not necessarily in that order). What’s on tap for your weekend? Any suggestions for Portland must-do’s? Let me know on Twitter, and get your weekend started the right way … now!
- The good folks at Banana Republic are keeping you cool this summer with a unique new partnership: The Banana Republic Core Collection, formed in partnership with star QB Jared Goff of the Los Angeles Rams, features a prime mix of classic silhouettes (think chinos and travel-friendly blazers) merged with performance fabric — and per usual, I wrote about it for The Manual! Stay cool out there.
- If you follow me on Instagram, you know I love — LOVE — a stylish pair of leather boots. Especially a stylish pair of Taylor Stitch leather boots, right? On that note, I covered the newly launched Taylor Stitch Moto Boots for GearMoose; talk about a winning pair of investment-level footwear, yeah? No kidding.
OK, my friends. That’s all from me today, but I’ll leave you with one last guide as to what to wear this spring — hit that link for more. And for now, I’ve got a flight to catch! Cheers.
A unique pair of packable, wearable spring and summer travel shoes.
I can tell you this — today’s post centers a lot around spring travel, so it’s fitting that I’m recommending the Astorflex Patnoflex as the one pair of shoes you need this weekend. Wear them on the plane, wear them off the plane, and pack ’em in your bag without worry. Come to think of it, I could use a pair of these — perhaps the best travel shoes — given my weekend plans!
As we speak, I’m on the road to Los Angeles for what should be a truly banner weekend — my last trip to the City of Angels was, surprisingly enough, way back in October 2015! The reason for this long-overdue trip? Well, it’s perhaps the best possible reason I can think of to get on a plane across the country: A “Special Evening with The National,” of course! The night is set to feature a concert, a film screening and Q&A featuring my favorite band & my heroes, The National!
These indie rock champions are set to debut new material from the forthcoming album “I Am Easy to Find,” complete with an accompanying film from director Mike Mills (and starring Alicia Vikander, no less). It’ll be a special preview of the album before it drops on May 17th, and that’s pretty exciting — to say the very least. Have any suggestions for what I should do in Los Angeles? Places I should visit (aside from the requisite trips to Angel City Brewery and HomeState Tacos)? Let me know on Twitter and Instagram — and in the meantime, we’ve got an in-depth look here at the best menswear news of the week.
Perhaps you’re well-aware of what you normally wear to the bar when you’re at home in terms of a go-to outfit, from vintage sneakers to a classic denim shirt. That being said, what do you wear when you hit up the bars while traveling? As in, what does one wear on a spring break bar crawl
? I wrote about just that for The Manual earlier this season. Cheers!
Speaking of a spring break bar crawl … perhaps you’ll come across some flavorful, out-of-character Pabst Blue Ribbon Extra
, a new offering from the legendary makers of everyone’s favorite “hipster” beer, PBR. I had the chance to write about this higher-ABV sipper for GearMoose, and I’d suggest you keep your eyes peeled for it the next time you set foot in your PBR-oriented watering hole.
Let’s get back to menswear — more specifically, let’s revisit my guide on how to dress for the office
this spring, featuring appearances from rugged Chelsea boots, slim dark denim and a classic blazer. How does that sound? Can’t go wrong in my opinion!
That’ll wrap up today’s Friday Read as I fly across the country to L.A. — again, feel free to chime in on Twitter if there are certain must-hit spots out West! And before I go, I’ll remind you that you need a pair of the best light wash denim for spring and summer. That’s all there is to it. Have a great weekend, folks!
A lightweight, durable pair of spring Chelsea boots.
Right off the bat, it might seem the stylish boots seen at the top of the page — the Danner Mountain 600 Chelsea Boots — are more suited for fall and winter than spring. Rest assured, that’s not the case. These are the lightweight hiking boots you need in your rotation, and they’ll look just as stylish as the brewpub for happy hour afterward this spring and summer (they’ll pair particularly well with slim light wash jeans, too). So, that’s how I’d encourage you to start your weekend — by picking up a pair of those Danner boots. From there, well, you can go just about anywhere.
That’s what I’m planning to do this weekend, at least. I’m hoping to check out a few noted spots in lovely Red Hook, a former maritime hub in Brooklyn that still retains its charm. Brunch at Fort Defiance is on tap, as is a stop at vintage menswear emporium Wooden Sleepers — I’ll be wearing my own pair of the Danner Mountain 600 Chelsea Boots, as it were. It’s been a rather quiet April on the travel front, but I’m gearing up for a big coastal trip next weekend — stay tuned there! And for now, check out all the new men’s style essentials and tips for spring below. Oh, and be sure to find me on Instagram, too. Cheers!
- If you want affordable grooming essentials that take all the little details into account, you want the Groundskeeper by Dollar Shave Club set of hard-working, spring-friendly men’s grooming essentials — and you’re in luck, because I covered it for GearMoose. Can’t go wrong with a seasonal grooming upgrade!
- As far as essential men’s sneakers go, there’s one particular style that can do a ton of heavy lifting for you — that would be a pair of the best white sneakers. From luxe leather options to hard-wearing canvas models from brands you know and love, read my full roundup over at The Manual.
- While we’re talking about upgrading and improving your spring style, it’s just as important to keep in mind that even your off-duty fits deserve an update. With that in mind, I’m going to direct you toward a full rundown of the best new men’s style gear as we discuss how to upgrade your casual spring style this season. From a classic slub tee to timeless high-top sneakers, we’ve got something for everybody — you’ll be the best-dressed guy at the bar this weekend.
That’s the end of today’s Friday Read, folks. Having fun yet? Still looking for something to read to wile away the day? Check out all of my tips on how to wear a classic T-shirt for spring, if you feel so inclined. Or, read about the stylish cotton blazer that’ll upgrade any outfit (but especially one featuring a classic chambray shirt and slim tan chinos). How does that sound? Just add a delicious spring beer and call it a day. Have a good one, folks!
The one and only denim jacket you need for spring and summer, available right now.
I’ll come right out and say it — the one jacket you need to wear this weekend is the Flint and Tinder Type 2 Trucker Jacket. Seriously, it could be the best denim jacket on the market, and that’s really saying something. As sold by Huckberry (and available in the site’s section of Just Landed new gear), it belongs on your back for many spring and summer weekends to come. How could you not love the throwback style and yet modern cool that this thing brings to the table, right? At any rate, I digress — we’ve got work to do. Well, not a ton of work, seeing as it’s the start of a spring weekend and all. After quite a few weeks on the road (including a recent trip to wonderful Portland, Maine as seen on my Instagram), I’ll be hanging back in Brooklyn this weekend, enjoying a favorite cup of coffee and visiting with an old college friend up from Washington, D.C., and taking in all the city has to offer on the craft brewing front (I think a trip to Five Boroughs Brewing is in the cards). And if I had my way, well, I’d be wearing the Flint and Tinder Typer 2 Trucker Jacket for exploring many a great brewery — but a guy can dream, right? For adding to your own menswear wish list, check out my Friday news selections below. Thanks for reading!
- OK, so I mentioned the wildly popular show “Game of Thrones” up above in the headline … but I don’t watch the show (sorry!), so why did I call it out? Well, it’s got a menswear-specific tie-in. Namely, the John Varvatos x Game of Thrones collaboration just dropped, and I wrote about it for The Manual! Get even more of your GOT fix by reading up on the full offering.
- We’re well and truly into spring sneaker season — it’s with that in mind that I put together my own guide recently on the blog covering how to wear sneakers this spring. Can’t go wrong with an entry in our ongoing #OOTD series, can you?
- If you follow me on Instagram, you know I appreciate a tasty whiskey — in an Old Fashioned or on its own, on the rocks — as much as the next guy. In that regard, it was pretty neat to learn and write about Yellow Rose Outlaw Bourbon, one spirit you should serioulsy consider adding to your bar cart — read about why it’s so unique and essential (hint: It involves Texas corn!) over at GearMoose.With the weekend nearly upon us, I bet you’re ready to get going. Not so fast, my friends. Stick around for one more second to read about this spring’s must-buy boots (from Taylor Stitch naturally). And while you’re still here, you might want to read about the classic leather watch you need on your wrist … ASAP. OK, that’ll do it from me. Have a good one!