Get ready for fall with these transitional leather boots from Yogi (as sold by Huckberry, of course).
Much as in the photo above, we’re sitting on the verge of the weekend — and sitting on the verge of fall in a few weeks (post-Labor Day, that is). And all of this is to say, it’s never too early to start thinking about buying a pair of the best leather boots for the season. In fact, those ones above come from Yogi, a unique brand making high-quality boots that won’t quit — no matter where you go this weekend. For me, this weekend represents a much-needed chance to kick back and relax in Brooklyn, something that’s been sporadic at times between trips to Madrid, Chicago & London this summer! Make no mistake though, I’d do it all again — to say the very least! As for my plans this weekend, I plan on checking out Five Boroughs Brewing, a Brooklyn-based brewery that’s been on my “to-do” list for quite some time! I’ll also be getting a much-needed iced coffee at another of my favorite Brooklyn spots, the quaint Milk and Honey. What about you? I’m a huge fan of the Brooklyn craft beer and coffee scenes, so if you happen to be in NYC and need suggestions, let me know on Twitter! And to start the weekend right, we’ve got the below Friday tips & tricks ready to go in the meantime.
- We’ve talked previously about a stylish new blazer for these last few weeks of summer — if that happened to pique your interest, you’re in luck. You can check out more on the Grayers Dylan Blazer via this very Web site. And the even better news? It’s easily wearable with dark denim and a classic Oxford shirt through September — trust me on that.
- Speaking of classic style, there’s really no way to go wrong when it comes to the best new sneakers for men — especially a pair of vintage-inspired Nike kicks. I’m talking, of course, about the Nike Cortez ’72 S.D., a set of sleek, streamlined sneakers that should be enough to amp up casual outfits (like light wash jeans and a short-sleeve henley) as easily as slightly more formal looks (like tan chinos and a classic chambray shirt). You can get the full scoop via my latest for GearMoose.
- Last but certainly not least today, let’s dig into the music world a bit, shall we? Once I find a feature I love, I like to go back and peruse it from time to time. That’s been the case lately with this GQ feature on The Strokes’ Julian Casablancas, a one-time (and forever) rock legend who’s branched out in recent years with his band the Voidz, a decidedly more experimental outfit. The piece is a few years old (2014!), but it’s a fascinating read to start off your weekend right — cold beer in hand, preferably.
OK, that’s going to close the books on today’s Friday Read. If you need one last item to get you going before the weekend, then I’d point you toward my favorite men’s style and gear picks for August. All good? All good!
One of the best views in the city for drinks? You bet. Image courtesy of R17.
While we normally start The Friday Read by recommending a men’s style essential to buy in advance of the weekend, we’re going to go a different route today — I’m going to point you toward one of the best new restaurants in New York City, a proper dining experience I recently found delightful. That is to say, the Rooftop at Pier 17, also known as R17, is the place to be this summer. As it were, Pier 17 is also one of the best venues for music in the city, with past acts running the gamut from Passion Pit to Kings of Leon (both of which are right up my alley).
R17 was kind enough to seat myself and my great friend + fellow media industry pro Kyle Campbell on a recent evening, and I can’t say enough about the wall-to-wall experience at R17. It’s absolutely one of the best rooftops for drinks in the Big Apple, and I don’t say that lightly — it’s rare I get the chance to escape to a rooftop, let alone on a weeknight, for some lovely bites and cocktails. Get the English Muffin Burger, but not before you’ve started things off with some Crispy Potatoes. Wash it down with a Kentucky Cooler, a delightfully delicious bourbon-rouge vermouth-campari concoction that was surprisingly perfect for summer — especially on a hot night. If you happen to be in NYC this weekend or in the months ahead, squeeze in some time to visit the Rooftop at Pier 17 — no regrets to be found anywhere (and a heck of a view to go along with it!). Now onto the rest of today’s Friday Read. Start your weekend the right way here, will you?
The right accessories can make all the difference when it comes to your #OOTD — that’s why I’m re-upping my post on the best men’s sunglasses (and you should check out my own post on this blog covering another pair of must-have sunglasses). Any one of those pairs could be the perfect way to soak up some rays.
- Let’s keep talking about the best men’s gear, shall we? On that note, I also covered the best messenger bags for men over at The Manual, featuring tried-and-true, favorite brands like WP Standard (as seen on my Instagram) and a few others I’m sure you’ll recognize. Time to gear up!
- Lastly, let’s have a little fun before we start the weekend. You surely know Todd Snyder, my favorite American menswear designer — and assuredly, a favorite of yours, as well. But did you know that Mr. Snyder recently put his stamp on a custom-made, investment-level car? Yes indeed, the Todd Snyder FJ43 Land Cruiser is iconic and one-of-a-kind. Head to GearMoose to get the full scoop via my latest feature for that site.
One last time before we head out of here for a few days: I’d implore you to check out my favorite menswear picks for the rest of summer, featuring an indigo Western shirt, classic men’s chinos and plenty more wearable picks for any day of the week. OK, that’s all for now — cheers!
The best T-shirt for a summer weekend? Sure is!
Just one look at the above Friday Read tells you all you need to know — we’ve got a packed rundown today, starting off with the best new T-shirt to buy for summer. We’re talking, of course, about the Flint and Tinder Heavyweight Triblend Tee as seen above. It’s geared to be worn with everything from chino shorts to slim light wash denim — but you’re not here for that, right? No, sir. Let’s close out the week in style (or at least, we’ll close up shop until tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week).
After a couple very busy weekends in a row seeing my favorite band, The National — including a trip down South to the amazing Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival & a jaunt to Montreal — I’ll be spending this weekend in Brooklyn. As to Montreal, I can’t recommend the city’s mix of culinary delights (a la amazing meats at Maison Publique) and surprisingly delicious craft beer (the mix of French and Belgian influences at places like Isle De Garde was very neat to experience) enough. Throw in a killer show by The National playing old and new classics at Place des Arts, and you’ve got the recipe for a banner weekend. Oh, and for poutine and classic “greasy spoon” dishes, head to the Montreal Pool Room. Coffee and bagels? Fairmount Bagels has you covered. Can you tell I’m a big fan??
How about your plans for this weekend? I’m looking forward to catching up on the coffee scene at my favorite Brooklyn coffee shop, Milk & Honey, and I’m also looking forward to catching up on the craft beer scene at another favorite Brooklyn haunt, the always excellent Sycamore Bar & Flower Shop. As ever, you can check out how I’m dressing for a stylish summer weekend over at my Instagram. In the meantime, let’s get on with today’s Friday Read. Thanks for spending some of your weekend here!
- There’s one essential men’s grooming brand — among many, naturally — that should be on your radar this season. That brand is the aptly named Beau Brummel for Men, purveyors of everything from an effective charcoal face mask to an excellent daily moisturizer. Give my latest for The Manual a quick read to get up to speed!
- We’re going to pivot here briefly back to one of my other passions — that’d be craft beer, and specifically, some of the best beer for summer. Namely, I’ll point you toward GearMoose to read all about New Belgium’s Passion Fruit Kolsch, one heck of a light, essential beer for the warmer months.
- And in the spirit of summer style — and summer style essentials — I’m going to close things up here by pointing you back toward some of the best shorts for summer. Make no mistake, this is ever more critical with the Fourth of July quickly approaching. Best start shopping now.
Still searching for one last critical purchase in advance of the weekend? Check out my guide to the best gear for summer — if you’re not already enamored with many of those gear picks, that is. OK, it’s time for me to sign off and head out to enjoy a summer weekend. To follow along with what I’m up to, check out my profile on Instagram. That’s all for now — cheers!
The dependable and trail-ready shorts you need for a summer weekend.
If it’s a summer weekend — which it most definitely is — then you need a pair of functional, adventure-ready shorts. You need the Coalatree Trailhead Shorts, in fact; they’ll take you anywhere you need to go, from a music festival to a brewery and everywhere in between. Are you packing up these stylish shorts?
For me, what I’m packing and wearing this weekend has perhaps never been more critical — I’m heading down South to the revered Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival for the first time ever! The occasion, of course, is none other than a Saturday night festival concert by my favorite band (yes, THE NATIONAL) as they play tracks from their new album “I Am Easy To Find,” plus old favorites. I’m seriously so thrilled and excited to be able to make this trip; although I was hesitant in years past to head to The ‘Roo (the camping element makes things difficult), the introduction of one-day passes means I’ll be able to spend some time exploring Nashville (as I did in a previous September 2017 trip) while also looking forward to some standout music from my favorite band — and plenty others, including indie rock luminaries Hippo Campus. To follow along with all the fun, join me on Instagram, or else check out my Twitter. And for now, let’s get your own weekend started the right way — with my Friday Read picks below — cheers!
- For my friends at The Manual, I covered your new favorite chinos from Bonobos — they’re made from organic cotton, and in an agreeable & tailored fit. How can it get any better than that, right? Wear them with classic suede chukka boots and a slim navy polo any day of the week.
- So, Father’s Day is getting shockingly close — and we likely all know what it’s like to have a dad or father figure who’s tricky to shop for (especially if he’s got a more off-the-beaten-path hobby like indulging in rare whiskey). On that note, I covered the excellent George Dickel Bottled-in-Bond Whisky for GearMoose — get ready to taste the best whiskey you didn’t know you needed, in short.
- We mentioned above about the slim navy polo you need to wear with your new Bonobos chinos — well, my friends, one of the best men’s polos for summer can be found in my post about the new Wellen Hemp Polo. If you missed this post last week, read up accordingly now. Cheers!
That’s just about going to wrap up today’s Friday Read — where are you headed this weekend? Wherever your travels take you, be sure to get around in style with my guide on how to dress for summer travel. Elsewhere, read about the classic white sneakers that are also going to elevate your weekend. Until tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week, enjoy your Friday, folks!
The perfect suit to wear to a summer wedding? It might be!
Summer weekends can fill up in a hurry, can’t they? Why, this weekend, I’ve got a ticket to see iconic NYC rockers The Strokes play at perhaps my favorite music festival, the city’s own Governors Ball! In fact, it’ll be my second time seeing them in about a week — wild! (You know that if you follow me on Instagram, of course). And on top of that, I’m hosting college friends for a quick weekend trip — I sense some craft beer and lots of stories about Michigan State and The State News in the near future for yours truly. What’s on your summer weekend to-do list? If it happens to be a summer shindig, and you’re perhaps wondering what to wear to a summer wedding, well, the Taylor Stitch Telegraph Suit as pictured above is a great place to start. Or, you can always shop my picks for the best men’s gear for summer if you’ve got something more casual in mind (I.E. A summer music festival or a summer happy hour). Aside from that, if you’re simply savoring a relaxing summer weekend at home, well … enjoy it! Maybe turn on The Strokes and crack open a cold one. In the meantime, check out my favorite style reads of the week. Cheers!
OK, got all that in mind as you head to the beach, the pool or the park this weekend? If you still want one last thing to read before you clock out this week, you best check out my #OOTD on how to wear a denim shirt for summer — and a summer weekend in particular. That’s all from me today, folks!
The slim denim you need for the weekend ahead.
Are you geared up and ready for the weekend? Surely not yet, right? Or at least, not without a pair of slim light wash denim from Mott and Bow, correct? This brand makes comfortable, premium jeans that are as fit for a casual Friday (like today!) as they are for your weekend escapades — in fact, I might just be wearing mine soon as I hit the road. That’s right, I’ve got another very, very exciting trip upcoming! I’ll be heading back to Portland, Oregon (I was last there in September 2017 to see Future Islands play!) this weekend, and the occasion is just as special this time around. I absolutely love this city for its mix of old and new, with a refreshing contemporary-yet-authentic vibe (don’t believe those who compare it to “Portlandia” … all the time, at least). I’ll be heading to this great Northwest city to see one of my favorite bands, lauded California indie rockers Local Natives,play what should be a wonderful live show behind their excellent recent album “Violet Street” — it’s assuredly one of my favorites this year so far, and they always put on an astounding show! Of course, you can follow along with me on Instagram as I hit up spots like Hopworks Brewery, Blue Star Donuts and Courier Coffee (not necessarily in that order). What’s on tap for your weekend? Any suggestions for Portland must-do’s? Let me know on Twitter, and get your weekend started the right way … now!
- The good folks at Banana Republic are keeping you cool this summer with a unique new partnership: The Banana Republic Core Collection, formed in partnership with star QB Jared Goff of the Los Angeles Rams, features a prime mix of classic silhouettes (think chinos and travel-friendly blazers) merged with performance fabric — and per usual, I wrote about it for The Manual! Stay cool out there.
- If you follow me on Instagram, you know I love — LOVE — a stylish pair of leather boots. Especially a stylish pair of Taylor Stitch leather boots, right? On that note, I covered the newly launched Taylor Stitch Moto Boots for GearMoose; talk about a winning pair of investment-level footwear, yeah? No kidding.
OK, my friends. That’s all from me today, but I’ll leave you with one last guide as to what to wear this spring — hit that link for more. And for now, I’ve got a flight to catch! Cheers.
A unique pair of packable, wearable spring and summer travel shoes.
I can tell you this — today’s post centers a lot around spring travel, so it’s fitting that I’m recommending the Astorflex Patnoflex as the one pair of shoes you need this weekend. Wear them on the plane, wear them off the plane, and pack ’em in your bag without worry. Come to think of it, I could use a pair of these — perhaps the best travel shoes — given my weekend plans!
As we speak, I’m on the road to Los Angeles for what should be a truly banner weekend — my last trip to the City of Angels was, surprisingly enough, way back in October 2015! The reason for this long-overdue trip? Well, it’s perhaps the best possible reason I can think of to get on a plane across the country: A “Special Evening with The National,” of course! The night is set to feature a concert, a film screening and Q&A featuring my favorite band & my heroes, The National!
These indie rock champions are set to debut new material from the forthcoming album “I Am Easy to Find,” complete with an accompanying film from director Mike Mills (and starring Alicia Vikander, no less). It’ll be a special preview of the album before it drops on May 17th, and that’s pretty exciting — to say the very least. Have any suggestions for what I should do in Los Angeles? Places I should visit (aside from the requisite trips to Angel City Brewery and HomeState Tacos)? Let me know on Twitter and Instagram — and in the meantime, we’ve got an in-depth look here at the best menswear news of the week.
Perhaps you’re well-aware of what you normally wear to the bar when you’re at home in terms of a go-to outfit, from vintage sneakers to a classic denim shirt. That being said, what do you wear when you hit up the bars while traveling? As in, what does one wear on a spring break bar crawl
? I wrote about just that for The Manual earlier this season. Cheers!
Speaking of a spring break bar crawl … perhaps you’ll come across some flavorful, out-of-character Pabst Blue Ribbon Extra
, a new offering from the legendary makers of everyone’s favorite “hipster” beer, PBR. I had the chance to write about this higher-ABV sipper for GearMoose, and I’d suggest you keep your eyes peeled for it the next time you set foot in your PBR-oriented watering hole.
Let’s get back to menswear — more specifically, let’s revisit my guide on how to dress for the office
this spring, featuring appearances from rugged Chelsea boots, slim dark denim and a classic blazer. How does that sound? Can’t go wrong in my opinion!
That’ll wrap up today’s Friday Read as I fly across the country to L.A. — again, feel free to chime in on Twitter if there are certain must-hit spots out West! And before I go, I’ll remind you that you need a pair of the best light wash denim for spring and summer. That’s all there is to it. Have a great weekend, folks!