A rugged denim shirt to layer up with on a winter weekend.
We’re on the edge of another winter weekend — I hope you powered through your week with speed & style in mind! And I hope you’ve got your eye on that remarkable Buck Mason denim shirt shown above — it could be the perfect winter layer when paired with, say, your favorite henley, and it’s the right way to gear up for whatever’s on your plate this weekend. Notably, winter style essentials should be top of mind, and that’s what we’re going to dive into here for another edition of The Friday Read. Whether it’s a modern flannel shirt or the perfect way to wear your leather bomber jacket, I guarantee you we’ve got something for you — plus, a healthy dose of the best menswear news at the same time. So again, what’s on your plate this weekend? For me, I’ll be working away on the blog (be sure to follow The Style Guide on Facebook!), as well as heading to a double birthday party of sorts being thrown by my cousin — craft beer and BBQ are on the menu, make no mistake! I’ll also be enjoying some coffee at Brooklyn’s own Sweetwater Coffee and Tea,and likely swinging by one of my favorite menswear and home goods shops, the always-excellent Modern Anthology. Of course, given that it’s a long holiday weekend, I’ll be out and about in Prospect Park a fair amount, too — in short, I can’t ask for much more from a few days in Brooklyn than that. To follow along with what I’m wearing (and imbibing, and listening to), head to my Instagram. Oh, and before I forget — make sure you’re layering up with that Buck Mason denim shirt shown above. For now, enjoy the start of your weekend!
- OK, let’s kick things off with a bang. Now, we’re a few weeks into the new year, but that doesn’t mean you should stop shopping for the best men’s style essentials — and with that in mind, I put my mind to the task at hand and covered the best new menswear for 2020 over at The Manual. A spoiler: The post features appearances from my pals at Mott and Bow, plus Buck Mason and Taylor Stitch. OK, happy reading!
- Speaking of kicking things off with a bang, head over to Faherty Brand to shop the Faherty Brand Surplus Sale, featuring discounts up to 70 percent off — that includes knitwear starting at $29, outerwear starting at $99, and free shipping on orders over $95. A terrific deal on your new favorite menswear, to say the least.
- Of course, the headline at the top of the page mentions that we’re going to tell you about the best leather messenger bag — and well, that bag in particular just so happens to be the Bexar Goods Porter Satchel, as covered by yours truly at GearMoose. It’s potentially the perfect way to haul your everyday carry essentials, no doubt about it.
- We also mentioned we’d be getting to a new hooded sweatshirt for winter — and again, I’ll point you back toward GearMoose for the full scoop on the Proof Meridian Hoodie, quite possibly the best hooded sweatshirt for a winter adventure (or heck, a day of lounging on your couch).
OK, that’s going to wrap up today’s Friday Read. Did you find what you were looking for? If not, take a look at my latest roundup of the best new men’s gear — we’re covering everything from rugged flannel shirts to the best new winter boots, so I think you’ll more than be able to gear up in style this season. OK, that’s really it for now — enjoy your weekend!
The perfect winter jacket for the holidays and beyond.
OK, who’s ready for another winter Friday? The last winter Friday before Christmas, at that! Still wondering what gifts to buy for the stylish guy on your list? I’ve got you covered. And today’s Friday Read is going to take care of business quite nicely, too — you’ll find out about a new Taylor Stitch jacket, gifts for the whiskey lover, and plenty more. Of course, we’d be remiss not to mention one of the best winter jackets as shown above, a durable and weather-ready Faherty Brand puffer jacket (the Polar Fjord Puffer, to be exact), that’s worth investing in as you dress for the polar vortex (or wherever your holiday takes you). I won’t exactly be needing a rugged winter parka, however — this weekend, I’m hitting the road to sunny Florida yet again for a relaxing week of Christmas vacation! I was just in Florida for a lovely and relaxing Thanksgiving (as seen on my Instagram), and I’m very excited to get back! It’s always a wonderful time in Fort Myers, from trying out new and old breweries (Point Ybel Brewing is a perennial favorite) to taking in fun holiday activities like checking out the illustrious grounds of the Edison Ford Winter Estates, done up with excellent holiday decor. For now though, I’ve got my holiday party to enjoy at my day job, and a bit of a search for last-minute holiday gifts to undertake this weekend. Get your own weekend started the right way with another edition of the Friday Read — cheers to the season!
- As we said above, ’tis the season to layer up in style with one of the best new men’s jackets for your closet — in this case, we’re talking about a handsome bomber jacket from Taylor Stitch, as covered by yours truly at GearMoose. It’s both elegant and rugged at the same time — it’s the perfect holiday layer, in short. Heck, it could even be a reliable suggestion if you’re still searching for what to wear to your holiday party.
- So, we mentioned Faherty Brand up above — and there’s reason to turn back toward this highly stylish brand again, seeing as Faherty is offering expedited shipping and guaranteed delivery by the 24th on orders placed by Saturday. Hop to it, folks!
- Just when you thought the good folks at Florsheim couldn’t churn out men’s shoes that were any more essential or stylish, they drop the Florsheim Fuel Reflect Capsule, a new, ultra-shiny and sleek set of dress shoes with some futuristic iridescent design touches. Perfect for, again, that last-minute holiday party. I covered it for The Manual, so check it out if you’re in need of some stylish dress shoes.
- Now, we’ll turn back to GearMoose for another crucial holiday gift suggestion. I didn’t pen this particular piece, but that doesn’t mean I’m any less enthralled by this roundup of the best gifts for whiskey lovers — perfect to gift to the guy who loves a great Old Fashioned.
- Lastly, it’s been a momentous year for music – favorite albums of mine included two ethereal releases from Brooklyn indie rockers Big Thief (that’d be both “Two Hands” and “U.F.O.F.”), as well as the excellent “Remind Me Tomorrow” by the lovely Sharon Van Etten. Of course, it goes without saying that “I Am Easy To Find” by The National is an all-time favorite, too. That being said, it’s always fun to read about the best albums of 2019 from a different perspective — in this case, Stereogum has put together a list of the top 50 albums of 2019, and it’s certainly worth your time.
So, maybe you’re still searching for the perfect last-minute gift, as we talked about above — with all that being said, maybe you know someone who’d love to have, say, the best pair of men’s jeans waiting for them under the tree? That’s where the Mott and Bow Slim Stone Denim comes into play, some of the most stylish jeans you can buy (and some of the more affordable premium jeans on the market, at that). Alright, enjoy and let’s get onto the weekend!
This jacket is seriously tough and rugged — perfect for a winter weekend.
Given that it’s a late November weekend, it’s understandable if you’ve got rugged winter style — and holiday gift shopping, for that matter — on the brain. Case in point: Perhaps the excellent Peregrine Bexley Jacket shown above is on your shopping list (or your holiday wish list). And if you weren’t ready for winter before, I’d wager that a rugged waxed jacket is going to help get you ready in a hurry. Again, Peregrine means business — so too, should your winter style. OK, let’s get to the rest of today’s Friday Read. First and foremost, I’m excited to close out a busy week in Brooklyn, which featured a show at the excellent Elsewhere venue in Bushwick by indie rockers Wild Nothing. Yes indeed, it’ll be high time for some much-needed rest and relaxation back home, including a late fall stroll through Prospect Park and an Old Fashioned or two at my favorite bar in Brooklyn. This week was exciting in other ways, too — the lineup was announced for The National Homecoming Festival, an incredible Cincy fest put on by (and celebrating!) my very favorite band … yes, of course, The National. I went to the first edition of the festival in April 2018, and for this go-round, I already have my tickets! Needless to say … I couldn’t be more thrilled to return to Ohio next year! Will I see you there? Let me know on Twitter. In the meantime, be sure to get your weekend started on the right foot with today’s Friday Read.
- In matters of style, first and foremost, one of the best men’s blazers can take your look from good to great, whether you pair it with your favorite henley or with a crisp Oxford shirt. And there’s something to be said for doing things a bit differently in that regard — like switching up the texture and fabric of your blazer. And on that note … I wrote about my favorite corduory blazers for The Manual, so you can dress for the season with ease.
- I mentioned above that we’d be telling you about the best men’s winter jackets for the season here, including one from the rugged gear purveyors at Filson. Well, ladies and gentlemen … that time has come. Specifically, I covered the excellent Filson Double Mackinaw Wool Jacket over at GearMoose, and you can rest assured that it’s ready to go anywhere this season (yes, even to Thanksgiving dinner!).
- Speaking of seasonal dressing — as in, dressing for Thanksgiving dinner — you might find this recent #OOTD covering what to wear on a chily fall day comes in mighty handy as you prep for the rest of November and December.
- As I mentioned above, it’s been a very, very exciting week in my neck of the woods, as The National Homecoming, the second iteration of the excellent festival put on by my favorite band, returns next May. Read about this terrific festival here.
OK, before you go away for the weekend … stick around with my guide to the best new menswear for fall and winter, why don’t you? I think you’ll find precisely what you’re looking for when it comes to winter style essentials, including a tough shirt jacket, some standout whiskey for fall and winter, and rugged leather boots aplenty. That’s where your weekend should start — where will it take you? Adventure in style & thanks for reading!
Essential, rugged moc toe leather boots for plenty of occasions.
Let’s step into Friday the right way — with the lowdown on some of the best men’s leather boots for fall. More specifically, the exceptionally rugged and tough Quoddy Bowhunter Boots, some of the toughest and most stylish boots to wear with olive chinos (as shown above), light wash denim (yes, for fall!) or your favorite corduroy pants as we roll into another fall weekend. They’re the kind of stylish leather boots I’ll be wearing this weekend, in fact. On that note: It’s tough to believe it’s November, and even more difficult to believe … it’s been about three years since I visited my alma mater, Michigan State University in East Lansing! The time’s flown since I’ve been back, and together with some former student newspaper friends from The State News, I’ve decided it’s high time I ventured back to the Midwest for a Spartan football game, some tasty beers at HopCat, and a crucial brunch at Beggar’s Banquet — all favorite pursuits during my college days! I have a special place in my heart for the lovely MSU campus & the friendships and memories I made along the way — it’ll be wonderful to return home! There will of course be tailgating and cold beer aplenty throughout the weekend once I arrive on an early-morning flight into Detroit, and I’m also seriously looking forward to taking in some classic Michigan fall weather as my beloved Michigan State Spartans play Illinois. Naturally, I’ll be wearing some of my favorite fall style essentials along the way — what about your weekend plans? Let me know on Twitter, be sure to check out tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week, and kick off your weekend nice and early with today’s Friday Read. Go Green!
- If you follow my writing work at The Manual, perhaps you’re familiar with the Everlane Uniform Collection, a well-curated set of daily men’s style essentials made to be worn, well, on the daily and also mixed-and-matched at will. And if not? I wrote about the Everlane Uniform Collection for the site, so you can get up to speed in a hurry.
- Let’s shift to more handy and helpful everyday carry gear. It can be relaxing, meditative and cathartic to stroll around your favorite park (mine happens to be Prospect Park) with your favorite tunes on repeat (The Walkmen, anyone?) — add a new favorite copper flask into that equation, and you’ve got the recipe for a lovely fall afternoon. To wit: Bring the Whiskey Leatherworks Copper Flask to your next camping trip, your next day hike, or your next bonfire — but first, read my latest briefing for GearMoose.
- Wondering about the best jacket for fall and winter, one that you can wear on the aforementioned park stroll or camping trip? We’re going to turn back toward GearMoose and specifically, the pleasingly rugged Filson Cover Cloth Aberdeen Jacket, the sort of tough jacket to wear with ease alongside your favorite henley and classic camp pants. Again, just add in the Whiskey Leatherworks Copper Flask and call it good, OK? Bingo!
So, that’s the end of today’s brief-yet-hopefully enlightening Friday Read. Because weekend fun is never done, though, I’m going to leave you with my recommendation for perhaps the best fall jacket, one you can wear with ease atop your favorite Oxford shirt alongside slim faded denim. It’s a surefire combo for all your top casual fall pursuits, from apple orchard visits to brewery tours & beyond. Cheers to the weekend, my friends!
It’s high time you laced up some of fall’s best boots for a great weekend.
It’s sometimes shocking how on-the-nose a product title can be when looking at the best fall gear for men — for example, the Red Wing Heritage Weekender Chukka, as shown above, should be on your feet for each and every fall weekend adventure you can dream up. They’re simply some of the best leather chukka boots you can get for your hard-earned cash, and if I was you, I’d make a point to snap them right up. That being said, they’re the kind of boots I’d pick up for a fall adventure of my own … kind of like the one I’m on as we speak! We’re coming to you from the lovely, fall-friendly confines of Boston, where I trekked last afternoon on a mid-fall getaway … complete with a rock show by my heroes, The National! I’ve been able to make it a point and a priority to crisscross the country (and the globe!) to see them on an incredible tour behind their latest album, “I Am Easy To Find” — these shows have been nothing short of lifechanging, from Nashville to Montreal across the pond to Madrid (and back to Brooklyn’s Prospect Park, of course). Last night’s show at Boston University’s Agganis Arena was nothing short of incredible either, including a banner run of cuts off of “I Am Easy To Find” — including fan favorite “Rylan” — and recent classics like “The System Only Dreams In Total Darkness.” At this point, I’d be hard-pressed to pass up any opportunity to see this world-beating band, especially if it only means a relatively quick train ride up the East Coast!
That being said, I’ve got plenty more on my Boston agenda as I set out to explore from the ecletic, modern FOUND Boston Common Hotel. I already had the chance to enjoy a delicious Old Fashoned pre-show at the seriously cool Deep Ellum near the Boston University campus, and my travels today will take me out on foot to spots like Trillium Brewing, fueled up by coffee from The Thinking Cup. I’ll also be checking out the menswear on tap at SAULT New England, naturally. Before I head back tomorrow, do you have any must-see spots I should hit? Let me know on Twitter! And in the meantime, let’s carry on with today’s roundup of essential weekly menswear news from yours truly.
- I’m a big proponent of the small details that make a big difference in terms of how you compose and compile your #OOTD — take everyday carry essentials, for instance. On that note, I rounded up a few favorites that’ll keep your gear sharp and in check on the daily; as luck would have it, you can check out that roundup at GearMoose.
- The right gear for fall and winter isn’t too hard to find if you know precisely where to look — that is to say, for my money’s worth, you should be looking toward the new Madewell Men’s fall collection. From stylish flannel shirts to durable accessories, all your bases are covered — you can get the full scoop over at The Manual, naturally.
- We mentioned Red Wing Heritage up at the start of this post, and with good reason — they’re making some of the best men’s boots you can find (to say the very least). It’s on that note that I’m directing you toward my roundup of the best new men’s gear for October and November, led off by … yes, you guessed it … a pair of rugged Red Wing Heritage boots! Get to shopping, and then enjoy breaking those boots in all season long.
OK, so that’s all I’ve got for you today. OK, well, not quite. Because a guy can never have too many pairs of stylish leather boots, I’m going to direct you back toward my post on the best chukka boots to buy for fall (a word to the wise: They’re coming at you courtesy of Huckberry and Rhodes Footwear). They’re so essential, so durable, so tough and yet versatile … they’ll become your new favorite pair of chukka boots, and I can nearly guarantee it. Now, if you’ll excuse me … I’ve got some Boston exploration to take care of! Enjoy your weekend, and thanks for reading.
The perfect fall weekend boots from Danner? Very nearly!
My friends, we’ve reached the end of another work week (at least, I hope that’s the case for you). If you’re anything like me, you’ve got your shopping cart full of fall style essentials as we patiently await the finest hour in menswear. And speaking of stepping into a new season, the rugged, versatile Danner Vertigo 917 Boots as showcased above could just be the perfect new addition to your closet. Danner makes all of its footwear in the U.S.A. with prime attention to detail, making the above pair some of the best leather boots (period!) that you can snag for fall. Now that we’ve covered off on the best boots for the weekend, what say we dive into something like … Brooklyn’s best new coffee shop? I’ve had the pleasure recently of checking out Sweetwaters Coffee & Tea in Brooklyn’s idyllic Park Slope neighborhood (as you might have seen on my Instagram), and I’m certainly a new fan! If ever you get to the borough, I can’t recommend you visit this spot enough. It’s a welcome addition to the Brooklyn coffee scene, seeing as the company was founded in my home state of Michigan, and it’ll be a crucial weekend stop for me tomorrow, too. As for the rest of my weekend, I’ll be taking in some college football action by my Michigan State Spartans, and enjoying a cold fall beer at Threes Brewing. How about you? Feel free to check in with me in the comments below!
- Fall is well and truly here — at least, it’ll officially be here next week on the calendar (and hopefully soon thereafter in terms of the weather). With that in mind, I put the best flannel shirts to the test for GearMoose, and believe you me, there are some stellar options when it comes to fall’s perfect shirt. Layer it up with your favorite henley and tough camp pants, then get out there & get to work.
- Speaking of essential fall gear, I sure do hope you moved quickly to pre-fund the excellent Taylor Stitch Mechanic Jacket. Crafted from the brand’s famed Boss Duck fabric, it’s a hard-wearing jacket that should arrive just in time for fall — read my full scoop on the best new fall jacket over at GearMoose, naturally.
- Let’s turn once again toward this here blog, and our ongoing #OOTD series. There’s still time for you to get plenty of wear out of your favorite denim jacket — you just need to layer it up accordingly, and that’s why I recently covered how to wear a denim jacket for fall. There’s no time to waste, my friends.
- And because it wouldn’t be a fall weekend without a little craft beer action, I rounded up the best Oktoberfest beers to enjoy as we move into this prime, prime season for hops-inclined refreshment. Again, I point you toward GearMoose for that briefing — cheers to Friday!
So, for old’s time sake, let’s close out today’s Friday Read with one last helpful #menswear reminder before the weekend — I’ll point you back to The Style Guide, and my take on the best hooded sweatshirt for fall. It’s just that good … believe me. OK, that’s all I’ve got today, folks. Enjoy the weekend!
Get ready for fall with these transitional leather boots from Yogi (as sold by Huckberry, of course).
Much as in the photo above, we’re sitting on the verge of the weekend — and sitting on the verge of fall in a few weeks (post-Labor Day, that is). And all of this is to say, it’s never too early to start thinking about buying a pair of the best leather boots for the season. In fact, those ones above come from Yogi, a unique brand making high-quality boots that won’t quit — no matter where you go this weekend. For me, this weekend represents a much-needed chance to kick back and relax in Brooklyn, something that’s been sporadic at times between trips to Madrid, Chicago & London this summer! Make no mistake though, I’d do it all again — to say the very least! As for my plans this weekend, I plan on checking out Five Boroughs Brewing, a Brooklyn-based brewery that’s been on my “to-do” list for quite some time! I’ll also be getting a much-needed iced coffee at another of my favorite Brooklyn spots, the quaint Milk and Honey. What about you? I’m a huge fan of the Brooklyn craft beer and coffee scenes, so if you happen to be in NYC and need suggestions, let me know on Twitter! And to start the weekend right, we’ve got the below Friday tips & tricks ready to go in the meantime.
- We’ve talked previously about a stylish new blazer for these last few weeks of summer — if that happened to pique your interest, you’re in luck. You can check out more on the Grayers Dylan Blazer via this very Web site. And the even better news? It’s easily wearable with dark denim and a classic Oxford shirt through September — trust me on that.
- Speaking of classic style, there’s really no way to go wrong when it comes to the best new sneakers for men — especially a pair of vintage-inspired Nike kicks. I’m talking, of course, about the Nike Cortez ’72 S.D., a set of sleek, streamlined sneakers that should be enough to amp up casual outfits (like light wash jeans and a short-sleeve henley) as easily as slightly more formal looks (like tan chinos and a classic chambray shirt). You can get the full scoop via my latest for GearMoose.
- Last but certainly not least today, let’s dig into the music world a bit, shall we? Once I find a feature I love, I like to go back and peruse it from time to time. That’s been the case lately with this GQ feature on The Strokes’ Julian Casablancas, a one-time (and forever) rock legend who’s branched out in recent years with his band the Voidz, a decidedly more experimental outfit. The piece is a few years old (2014!), but it’s a fascinating read to start off your weekend right — cold beer in hand, preferably.
OK, that’s going to close the books on today’s Friday Read. If you need one last item to get you going before the weekend, then I’d point you toward my favorite men’s style and gear picks for August. All good? All good!