The sleek leather watch that’s going to elevate any outfit.
Many thanks and cheers as we kick off today’s Friday Read, my friends! Doesn’t it seem like time is just … flying by? It sure seems like you’d do well to stay on track with the stylish leather watch from Miansai seen above. Yes indeed, the Miansai M12 Vintage Cognac Leather Watch is the one to buy this weekend. And given that we’re halfway through the month, I’d say your wardrobe and your footwear situation might be due for an upgrade — we’ll tackle that more below, but as we stomp through winter, crucial men’s style essentials like some of the best men’s leather boots should be on your radar. Or the best cardigan to buy now. Or a classic chambray shirt. You get the picture.
At any rate, it’s been a focus of mine over these past few weeks to really reach for quality pieces that stand the test of time (if you follow me on Instagram, you might recognize this!). Pieces like a classic shawl cardigan from Buck Mason, or some rugged leather boots from my pals at Danner (as seen in this post). It’s been a fun exercise, one that I’m going to continue in the next few weeks. For now though, I’m very excited to host a trio of longtime Michigan friends in my suddenly-too-small Brooklyn apartment for the long holiday weekend — we’ll be visiting classic NYC haunts like McSorley’s Old Ale House and also checking the unique Museum of the American Gangster (as one does). Again, you can follow along with all the fun on my Instagram. Cheers to the weekend!
- The best way to power through the doldrums of winter? Why, with the perfect flannel shirt from Faherty Brand. Read more in this post on the blog covering exactly why you need a new flannel shirt in your cold-weather arsenal.
I’m all for cracking open a flavorful, rich beer at the end of the day — if you fall into the same category, you’d do well to pick up this handsome-yet-utilitarian bottle opener
from Discommon, a feature I covered for GearMoose. Cheers!
Speaking of essentials to help you power through winter, this durable field coat
is a winter outerwear essential. I wrote recently on the blog about how it’s made to perform in the weather and look great while doing it, too. Yessir, the Proof Field Jacket
could become a new favorite for the season.
Right then — what type of men’s style essentials are you looking forward to wearing this weekend (and beyond)? If you still need to step up your game in this young new year, look toward my favorite men’s style suggestions for winter. Or, rethink how you wear a classic staple like the best peacoat in your arsenal. Mix and match to your heart’s content, my friends. Have a great weekend, and thanks for reading!
The right way to dress for winter — the Proof Storm Shield Parka.
Alright, I’m ready for a stylish winter weekend — how about you? More importantly, how are you dressing for the nasty weather that seems to be blanketing the country right now? If I were you, I’d layer up with the Proof Storm Shield Jacket — the team at Proof makes gear with versatiliy, mobility & performance in mind, so that’s a great way to take on the season. From the Primaloft Gold insulation to the ease of packing it up, the Proof Storm Shield Jacket just works. OK, we’ve got that out of the way. It’s now time to look back at the latest and greatest men’s style news of the week — agreed? We’re about halfway through January, so I’d love to hear how your men’s style resolutions are holding up. It’s all about refreshing and upgrading the basics you know and love — pieces like the classic flannel shirt or a timeless henley — in a new way for the new year.
RAnd we’re already off and running in matters aside from menswear, too. Tonight, I’m heading to my favorite venue in the city (that’d be Brooklyn Steel) to see Nashville singer-songwriter Rayland Baxter play what promises to be a soulful, moving show in East Williamsburg. Have any more suggestions for weekend listening? Feel free to let me know on Twitter — and in the meantime, let’s get on with the Friday Read! Cheers.
- Now, this post ran a few weeks ago, but it’s worth revisting — Esquire.com is giving you the full scoop on the best men’s duffle bag to take with you anywhere and everywhere. In short, it’s a convertible duffle that goes from the gym to the office to the road. Of course, you can also view more essential men’s travel gear elsewhere on the site — happy hunting!
- Let’s take a quick step back for a second — a proper #FlashbackFriday, if you will. While the rest of us deal with sleet and snow, perhaps you find yourself in a more temperate climate. If that’s the case, I’d imagine you’re sick of reading about the best men’s winter coats and want something a little more suited to warm weather? In that case, check out this #OOTD on the best way to wear sneakers now. Bingo.
- There are regular pairs of boots, and then there are the sort of rugged men’s boots you invest in — ones that get better over time. A few weeks back, I wrote all about how Nick’s Boots are the boots you should buy now. You can find out why at The Manual.
Once again, thanks for tuning into this edition of the Friday Read. If you still find yourself on the hunt for something to read or something to wear (or both), I’d point you toward learning more about this rugged winter cardigan from Faherty Brand. Looking for something a bit more refined? Well, then — the Bond Peacoat from Billy Reid (as seen in our Style Pick of the Week series) is the way to go. OK, that’s all I’ve got today. Stay stylish!
No matter how you take your coffee, the Bespoke Post Coffee Starter Kit can help you brew a better cup. Image courtesy of Bespoke Post.
So, my friends — welcome to the first Friday Read of 2019! Pour yourself a cup of coffee using the Bespoke Post Coffee Starter Kit, kick back & enjoy the start of the weekend. Enjoying a rich cup of craft coffee is a favorite weekend starter for me, and if that’s the case for you, the Bespoke Post Coffee Starter Kit might brew the best cup of coffee you’ve ever had. But, you’ll need to try it out for yourself.
Believe you me, that Bespoke Post Coffee Starter Kit is going to come in handy. After all, we’ve got some men’s style essentials to discuss. It’s truly wild to be starting 2019, and with that comes reflection in terms of how you’re dressing and how you’re approaching your wardrobe. We’re in the depths of winter (well, some of us are), and that calls for throwing on warm-yet-stylish layers — take a classic navy peacoat or an elbow patch sweater, then add rugged leather boots to fight snow and slush. Don’t forget stylish leather gloves, either. So, as you can see, there are opportunities aplenty to step your game up in ways big and small. Hopefully, you’ll learn about a few below. Aside from reading about the best men’s style picks, what’s on your weekend to-do list? For me, I’m looking forward to exploring Brooklyn (and the Interboro NYC brewery), plus … yes, enjoying a delicious cup of coffee (or two). Let’s get to the rest of today’s featured style picks in the meantime — thanks for reading!
- There are certain times where you just need a grab-and-go jacket — maybe you’re late for work, maybe you’ve got to dash out the door with the kids, maybe you’ve got to catch the second half at the bar. Whatever the case might be, the Outerknown Puffer Jacket — a recent GearMoose feature by yours truly — is the jacket for you.
- Looking for a cozy and minimal winter layer? That’s where the new line of Mott & Bow Cashmere Sweaters comes into play. Wear any of one of them atop a classic T-shirt for a cozy, stylish winter weekend — but first, read all about ’em at The Manual.
- OK, so if you read the site or you follow me on Instagram, you assuredly know I’m a huge fan of great craft beer. In the spirit of looking back to move forward, the excellent craft beer and lifestyle site October published a recap of the best hazy IPAs of 2018. Perhaps there’s a beer on the list you enjoy? You can never go wrong with a standout IPA.
Still in need of something else to read? Check out more of the best rugged winter gear picks to kick off your year the right way. Or, read more about the best shirt jacket to buy now, this one from Faherty Brand. Last but certainly not least … it’s chilly out there. Make sure you know how to dress for a winter weekend with comfort and style in mind. Cheers!
Some of the best men’s boots money can buy — seriously.
Ladies and gentlemen, loyal Style Guide readers, … happy Friday. To start things off, let’s talk about the amazing Viberg Service Boots
as shown above, perhaps one of the best pairs of men’s leather boots
on the market… and maybe, on the planet?? That’s the case, for me. And if you follow me on Instagram
, you know I love my pair of Viberg boots
. Now, to business. We’re getting very close to Christmas — have you taken care of your shopping? If not, we’ll have you set with some exceptional menswear gifting picks next week. In the meantime, we’re coming off a busy week on the homefront — among this week’s highlights, I was thrilled to once again see excellent Australian rock band Gang of Youths
play in New York City at the famed Irving Plaza! Rock music is alive and well thanks to those guys. Elsewhere, we talked about one of the best men’s shirt jackets
to buy right now, and we also helped you in terms of how to dress for your next business meeting. Now, we’re heading into the weekend, and our next weekly men’s style roundup. OK, that’s all for now — enjoy!
- Do you have a favorite album of 2018? Maybe? Maybe not? If you do, you might find this list by Consequence of Sound interesting, covering the best albums of 2018. From Cat Power to Beach House to Mitski, there are some transcendent selections in the list. Feel like joining the debate? Let me know on Twitter. Need something on which to listen to your favorite album? Try this stylish record player or this excellent portable Bluetooth speaker.
- Sometimes, all you need to make your outfit go from good to great is a pair of the best men’s leather boots — like the CAT Footwear Thinsulate Boots, as I covered for GearMoose. Now, get out there and get to work.
- To me, it’s more than worth bringing this crucial post to your attention again. Namely, I recently wrote about how to get a discount on Outerknown menswear — in this piece on men’s style essentials, in fact. The skinny: Just use the code STYLEGUIDE25 to get 25 percent off full-priced gear at Outerknown. That’s it! Happy shopping.
- In the way of rugged winter gear, it’s also worth considering this men’s style guide I wrote for The Manual covering my favorite fall picks from Filson. Plenty of choices for everyone, right?
Ready for the weekend? Heading to your favorite brewery? Here’s what to wear to the bar tonight. Looking for something else to read? Or wear? Here’s the best men’s sweater to buy now. That’s going to wrap it up today — thanks for reading!
Simply gorgeous boots that pack a punch when it comes to winter functionality.
Lately as we kick off every Friday Read — our weekly recap of the things to know in men’s style — we’ve been spotlighting a standout series of winter style essentials. That continues today with the beautiful, investment-worthy Yuketen Maine Guide Boots, exclusive to our pals at Huckberry. There’s really not a pair of rugged leather boots quite like these ones, what with their handmade construction, an eight-layer midsole and the use of Horween leather. Again, the Yuketen Maine Guide Boots belong on your list of fall weekend essentials. As it were, that’s why we’re here today. I’m coming off a weekend to remember back in my home state of Michigan, deep in the woods near Big Rapids, celebrating my best friend Mr. Chris Spyke’s bachelor party! A rustic log cabin and plenty of beer & chicken wings proved the perfect way to acknowledge the occasion (and if you follow me on Instagram, maybe you saw I broke out my Huckberry Duck Boots)! At any rate, it was an amazing and refreshing weekend deep in the Michigan wilderness, complete with a light snowfall — what could be more perfect? For now, I’ve turned my attention back here to Brooklyn. This weekend, I hope to visit one of my favorite menswear shops, the well-appointed Modern Anthology, and I’m also looking forward to venturing out to UpNorth, a Canadian-themed bar in Bushwick (this cold weather is really getting into me). What’s on your weekend agenda? Besides checking out the below Friday Read, shopping for some men’s style essentials & reading our Style Pick of the Week? Get it all started here. Thanks for reading!
It’s official — the fleece jacket is back, and better than ever. When it comes to cozy, essential casual style — especially for the holiday season — you’d do worse than to read my roundup of the best fleece jackets
over at GearMoose.
- Our friends at Esquire, ever focused on refinement for the modern man, tell you how to host a party this winter. Not a pregame, a real party. I hope to try out that pre-batched Manhattan recipe soon!
Is there any season in which a pair of casual blue jeans
won’t work? Nope, there’s truly not. That’s why I’m sharing once again my take on a new favorite pair of jeans
from my pals at Huckberry. They’re laidback, they’re comfortable, and they’ll work as readily at Thanksgiving dinner as they will on a weekend coffee date. Cheers!
I talk often about the best men’s style essentials, especially for transitional weather. In that same vein, you won’t misstep if you read my guide to the best men’s winter boots
, as compiled for The Manual.
OK, that’s going to give you the go-ahead to get started on your weekend. Looking for one last thing to read before you go? Check out this go-to fall and winter layer from Buffalo Jackson. Better yet, get yourself a new field watch to wear it with. Alright, I’ll leave you to it — have a great weekend!
A comfortable, soft flannel that’s brushed for comfort & ready to take on fall and winter.
Ahh, yes. Another Friday, another edition of The Friday Read … and another recommendation for the best fall menswear to buy now. Specifically, the handsome, versatile Proof Heatseeker Flannel— made from brushed polyester flannel for comfort and movement — is leading us off to start the weekend. In short, the Heatseeker Flannel will go anywhere you go, from the office to happy hour, and it’ll look great doing it. Now, onto the rest of today’s entry. Have you made sure to keep up with the blog as we get you fully prepped for this season? We’re looking at Thanksgiving just a few weeks away — dressing in style for the occasion is crucial, and we’ll have more content in that regard next week on the blog via our #OOTD series. In other matters: We debuted a new look on The Style Guide this week! What do you think of it? Feel free to let me know on Twitter. And elsewhere: I’m very, VERY excited to be heading back to my home state of Michigan this weekend for my kindergarten (yep!) best friend’s bachelor party! What’s on tap? Plenty of amazing Michigan craft beer, plus college football (Go Green!) and of course, the chance to break out some of my rugged fall gear as we spend the weekend at a log cabin retreat. To keep up with all the action, you know where to go — follow me on Instagram, and then be sure to join us again tomorrow for another edition of the Style Pick of the Week. OK, I’ve got a flight to catch — thanks for reading!
- We’ve been rolling through November for a while now, which means it’s time to turn our attention toward men’s health. Believe you me, it’s not too late to get into the spirit of Movember — my friend John Jones at The Manual dives into why, exactly, it’s worthwhile for us fellas.
- The chill of winter is going to be bearing down on us in short order, which is why I rounded up the best men’s parkas for GearMoose! There’s something for every price point and every style, without a doubt.
- In the way of other other men’s style essentials you need for fall, you can add stylish leather boots to your list — such as the Rhodes Dean Boots, a handsome and low-profile pair of sleek leather boots that I again covered for GearMoose. Lace up, then hit the road.
Still want something else to read? Check out thebest henley to buy for fall. Or, busy yourself reading about the all-weather boots you need in your closet (and on your feet). Still not ready to go back to work? Check out a recent edition of the Friday Read, covering the best leather boots and the best live music venues out there. They go hand-in-hand, right? OK, that’s all for now.
You see the Flint and Tinder Mill Pants pictured aobve? To me, they’re a fall style essential — and the ideal way to kick off today’s Friday Read. They’ll work for a brewery visit — or brewing your own beer. They’ll work for a day hike. They’ll work for an impromptu weekend coffee date. They’ll work anywhere you do, mostly. Who’s with me? And wh’ else is ready for the weekend? We’ve kept busy as of late on the blog, telling you all about the best new field watch to pick up for the season, while also keeping you updated on all the men’s style picks your wardrobe deserves. And if you’re anything like me, you’re likely very excited that the weather is taking a turn toward fall. For me, that means plenty of time spent in Prospect Park and enjoying rich fall beers at places like the excellent Greenpoint Beer & Ale. How about you? It’s not all fun and games, though.
As a matter of fact, by the time you check back on Monday (after you read tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week, of course), we’ll have a new look on the blog — new fonts, a new design and layout, the whole nine yards. Or at least, we’ll give it a shot. And here’s where you come in: However you feel about the new look (is it better or worse? Cool or lame!?), I’d urge you to please let me know on Twitter or via The Style Guide Facebook group. It’s a change I haven’t taken lightly — after all, it’s my name on the blog! And you and I both (likely) love the current layout. But change is afoot. So, please let me know once we get those changes rolling! And in the meantime, you can peruse the below Friday Read … and then come back for the Style Pick of the Week. Cheers!
- OK, so in the way of excellent live music, I’ve truly been floored by the passion and talent of Maggie Rogers, New York City’s own. She recently released a new music video, and you’d do well to check it out — and perhaps think about the state of pop music — via Consequence of Sound.
- If you keep up with my work on The Manual, perhaps you saw this piece on Mott & Bow and the brand’s new cashmere sweaters — they’re crisp, minimal and easy to pair with stylish M&B denim. Just in time for fall, too.
- And on to more menswear — I always try to do the best I can when it comes to rounding up fall style essentials, and if you’re still in search of a few picks to round out your wardrobe, I’d urge you to click on that hyperlink right there.
- Speaking of menswear essentials, there’s still time to add some stylish fall sneakers to your wardrobe — you’d do well to make that move right now with the New Balance x Todd Snyder Pale Ale 990V3, which I covered for GearMoose. A word of wisdom: These sneakers would wear well with the Flint and Tinder Stonewashed Jeans or the Flint and Tinder Mill Pants as seen above. Pair them up with a real pale ale on a chilly fall night for some seasonally friendly flavor … and style.
That’s going to wrap up this week’s edition of The Friday Read — again, stay posted for the best new menswear of the week tomorrow, and then hold onto your horses for a whole new edition of The Style Guide very soon. Thanks for reading!