Essential, rugged moc toe leather boots for plenty of occasions.
Let’s step into Friday the right way — with the lowdown on some of the best men’s leather boots for fall. More specifically, the exceptionally rugged and tough Quoddy Bowhunter Boots, some of the toughest and most stylish boots to wear with olive chinos (as shown above), light wash denim (yes, for fall!) or your favorite corduroy pants as we roll into another fall weekend. They’re the kind of stylish leather boots I’ll be wearing this weekend, in fact. On that note: It’s tough to believe it’s November, and even more difficult to believe … it’s been about three years since I visited my alma mater, Michigan State University in East Lansing! The time’s flown since I’ve been back, and together with some former student newspaper friends from The State News, I’ve decided it’s high time I ventured back to the Midwest for a Spartan football game, some tasty beers at HopCat, and a crucial brunch at Beggar’s Banquet — all favorite pursuits during my college days! I have a special place in my heart for the lovely MSU campus & the friendships and memories I made along the way — it’ll be wonderful to return home! There will of course be tailgating and cold beer aplenty throughout the weekend once I arrive on an early-morning flight into Detroit, and I’m also seriously looking forward to taking in some classic Michigan fall weather as my beloved Michigan State Spartans play Illinois. Naturally, I’ll be wearing some of my favorite fall style essentials along the way — what about your weekend plans? Let me know on Twitter, be sure to check out tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week, and kick off your weekend nice and early with today’s Friday Read. Go Green!
- If you follow my writing work at The Manual, perhaps you’re familiar with the Everlane Uniform Collection, a well-curated set of daily men’s style essentials made to be worn, well, on the daily and also mixed-and-matched at will. And if not? I wrote about the Everlane Uniform Collection for the site, so you can get up to speed in a hurry.
- Let’s shift to more handy and helpful everyday carry gear. It can be relaxing, meditative and cathartic to stroll around your favorite park (mine happens to be Prospect Park) with your favorite tunes on repeat (The Walkmen, anyone?) — add a new favorite copper flask into that equation, and you’ve got the recipe for a lovely fall afternoon. To wit: Bring the Whiskey Leatherworks Copper Flask to your next camping trip, your next day hike, or your next bonfire — but first, read my latest briefing for GearMoose.
- Wondering about the best jacket for fall and winter, one that you can wear on the aforementioned park stroll or camping trip? We’re going to turn back toward GearMoose and specifically, the pleasingly rugged Filson Cover Cloth Aberdeen Jacket, the sort of tough jacket to wear with ease alongside your favorite henley and classic camp pants. Again, just add in the Whiskey Leatherworks Copper Flask and call it good, OK? Bingo!
So, that’s the end of today’s brief-yet-hopefully enlightening Friday Read. Because weekend fun is never done, though, I’m going to leave you with my recommendation for perhaps the best fall jacket, one you can wear with ease atop your favorite Oxford shirt alongside slim faded denim. It’s a surefire combo for all your top casual fall pursuits, from apple orchard visits to brewery tours & beyond. Cheers to the weekend, my friends!
It’s high time you laced up some of fall’s best boots for a great weekend.
It’s sometimes shocking how on-the-nose a product title can be when looking at the best fall gear for men — for example, the Red Wing Heritage Weekender Chukka, as shown above, should be on your feet for each and every fall weekend adventure you can dream up. They’re simply some of the best leather chukka boots you can get for your hard-earned cash, and if I was you, I’d make a point to snap them right up. That being said, they’re the kind of boots I’d pick up for a fall adventure of my own … kind of like the one I’m on as we speak! We’re coming to you from the lovely, fall-friendly confines of Boston, where I trekked last afternoon on a mid-fall getaway … complete with a rock show by my heroes, The National! I’ve been able to make it a point and a priority to crisscross the country (and the globe!) to see them on an incredible tour behind their latest album, “I Am Easy To Find” — these shows have been nothing short of lifechanging, from Nashville to Montreal across the pond to Madrid (and back to Brooklyn’s Prospect Park, of course). Last night’s show at Boston University’s Agganis Arena was nothing short of incredible either, including a banner run of cuts off of “I Am Easy To Find” — including fan favorite “Rylan” — and recent classics like “The System Only Dreams In Total Darkness.” At this point, I’d be hard-pressed to pass up any opportunity to see this world-beating band, especially if it only means a relatively quick train ride up the East Coast!
That being said, I’ve got plenty more on my Boston agenda as I set out to explore from the ecletic, modern FOUND Boston Common Hotel. I already had the chance to enjoy a delicious Old Fashoned pre-show at the seriously cool Deep Ellum near the Boston University campus, and my travels today will take me out on foot to spots like Trillium Brewing, fueled up by coffee from The Thinking Cup. I’ll also be checking out the menswear on tap at SAULT New England, naturally. Before I head back tomorrow, do you have any must-see spots I should hit? Let me know on Twitter! And in the meantime, let’s carry on with today’s roundup of essential weekly menswear news from yours truly.
- I’m a big proponent of the small details that make a big difference in terms of how you compose and compile your #OOTD — take everyday carry essentials, for instance. On that note, I rounded up a few favorites that’ll keep your gear sharp and in check on the daily; as luck would have it, you can check out that roundup at GearMoose.
- The right gear for fall and winter isn’t too hard to find if you know precisely where to look — that is to say, for my money’s worth, you should be looking toward the new Madewell Men’s fall collection. From stylish flannel shirts to durable accessories, all your bases are covered — you can get the full scoop over at The Manual, naturally.
- We mentioned Red Wing Heritage up at the start of this post, and with good reason — they’re making some of the best men’s boots you can find (to say the very least). It’s on that note that I’m directing you toward my roundup of the best new men’s gear for October and November, led off by … yes, you guessed it … a pair of rugged Red Wing Heritage boots! Get to shopping, and then enjoy breaking those boots in all season long.
OK, so that’s all I’ve got for you today. OK, well, not quite. Because a guy can never have too many pairs of stylish leather boots, I’m going to direct you back toward my post on the best chukka boots to buy for fall (a word to the wise: They’re coming at you courtesy of Huckberry and Rhodes Footwear). They’re so essential, so durable, so tough and yet versatile … they’ll become your new favorite pair of chukka boots, and I can nearly guarantee it. Now, if you’ll excuse me … I’ve got some Boston exploration to take care of! Enjoy your weekend, and thanks for reading.
The perfect fall weekend boots from Danner? Very nearly!
My friends, we’ve reached the end of another work week (at least, I hope that’s the case for you). If you’re anything like me, you’ve got your shopping cart full of fall style essentials as we patiently await the finest hour in menswear. And speaking of stepping into a new season, the rugged, versatile Danner Vertigo 917 Boots as showcased above could just be the perfect new addition to your closet. Danner makes all of its footwear in the U.S.A. with prime attention to detail, making the above pair some of the best leather boots (period!) that you can snag for fall. Now that we’ve covered off on the best boots for the weekend, what say we dive into something like … Brooklyn’s best new coffee shop? I’ve had the pleasure recently of checking out Sweetwaters Coffee & Tea in Brooklyn’s idyllic Park Slope neighborhood (as you might have seen on my Instagram), and I’m certainly a new fan! If ever you get to the borough, I can’t recommend you visit this spot enough. It’s a welcome addition to the Brooklyn coffee scene, seeing as the company was founded in my home state of Michigan, and it’ll be a crucial weekend stop for me tomorrow, too. As for the rest of my weekend, I’ll be taking in some college football action by my Michigan State Spartans, and enjoying a cold fall beer at Threes Brewing. How about you? Feel free to check in with me in the comments below!
- Fall is well and truly here — at least, it’ll officially be here next week on the calendar (and hopefully soon thereafter in terms of the weather). With that in mind, I put the best flannel shirts to the test for GearMoose, and believe you me, there are some stellar options when it comes to fall’s perfect shirt. Layer it up with your favorite henley and tough camp pants, then get out there & get to work.
- Speaking of essential fall gear, I sure do hope you moved quickly to pre-fund the excellent Taylor Stitch Mechanic Jacket. Crafted from the brand’s famed Boss Duck fabric, it’s a hard-wearing jacket that should arrive just in time for fall — read my full scoop on the best new fall jacket over at GearMoose, naturally.
- Let’s turn once again toward this here blog, and our ongoing #OOTD series. There’s still time for you to get plenty of wear out of your favorite denim jacket — you just need to layer it up accordingly, and that’s why I recently covered how to wear a denim jacket for fall. There’s no time to waste, my friends.
- And because it wouldn’t be a fall weekend without a little craft beer action, I rounded up the best Oktoberfest beers to enjoy as we move into this prime, prime season for hops-inclined refreshment. Again, I point you toward GearMoose for that briefing — cheers to Friday!
So, for old’s time sake, let’s close out today’s Friday Read with one last helpful #menswear reminder before the weekend — I’ll point you back to The Style Guide, and my take on the best hooded sweatshirt for fall. It’s just that good … believe me. OK, that’s all I’ve got today, folks. Enjoy the weekend!
Get ready for fall with these transitional leather boots from Yogi (as sold by Huckberry, of course).
Much as in the photo above, we’re sitting on the verge of the weekend — and sitting on the verge of fall in a few weeks (post-Labor Day, that is). And all of this is to say, it’s never too early to start thinking about buying a pair of the best leather boots for the season. In fact, those ones above come from Yogi, a unique brand making high-quality boots that won’t quit — no matter where you go this weekend. For me, this weekend represents a much-needed chance to kick back and relax in Brooklyn, something that’s been sporadic at times between trips to Madrid, Chicago & London this summer! Make no mistake though, I’d do it all again — to say the very least! As for my plans this weekend, I plan on checking out Five Boroughs Brewing, a Brooklyn-based brewery that’s been on my “to-do” list for quite some time! I’ll also be getting a much-needed iced coffee at another of my favorite Brooklyn spots, the quaint Milk and Honey. What about you? I’m a huge fan of the Brooklyn craft beer and coffee scenes, so if you happen to be in NYC and need suggestions, let me know on Twitter! And to start the weekend right, we’ve got the below Friday tips & tricks ready to go in the meantime.
- We’ve talked previously about a stylish new blazer for these last few weeks of summer — if that happened to pique your interest, you’re in luck. You can check out more on the Grayers Dylan Blazer via this very Web site. And the even better news? It’s easily wearable with dark denim and a classic Oxford shirt through September — trust me on that.
- Speaking of classic style, there’s really no way to go wrong when it comes to the best new sneakers for men — especially a pair of vintage-inspired Nike kicks. I’m talking, of course, about the Nike Cortez ’72 S.D., a set of sleek, streamlined sneakers that should be enough to amp up casual outfits (like light wash jeans and a short-sleeve henley) as easily as slightly more formal looks (like tan chinos and a classic chambray shirt). You can get the full scoop via my latest for GearMoose.
- Last but certainly not least today, let’s dig into the music world a bit, shall we? Once I find a feature I love, I like to go back and peruse it from time to time. That’s been the case lately with this GQ feature on The Strokes’ Julian Casablancas, a one-time (and forever) rock legend who’s branched out in recent years with his band the Voidz, a decidedly more experimental outfit. The piece is a few years old (2014!), but it’s a fascinating read to start off your weekend right — cold beer in hand, preferably.
OK, that’s going to close the books on today’s Friday Read. If you need one last item to get you going before the weekend, then I’d point you toward my favorite men’s style and gear picks for August. All good? All good!
One of the best views in the city for drinks? You bet. Image courtesy of R17.
While we normally start The Friday Read by recommending a men’s style essential to buy in advance of the weekend, we’re going to go a different route today — I’m going to point you toward one of the best new restaurants in New York City, a proper dining experience I recently found delightful. That is to say, the Rooftop at Pier 17, also known as R17, is the place to be this summer. As it were, Pier 17 is also one of the best venues for music in the city, with past acts running the gamut from Passion Pit to Kings of Leon (both of which are right up my alley).
R17 was kind enough to seat myself and my great friend + fellow media industry pro Kyle Campbell on a recent evening, and I can’t say enough about the wall-to-wall experience at R17. It’s absolutely one of the best rooftops for drinks in the Big Apple, and I don’t say that lightly — it’s rare I get the chance to escape to a rooftop, let alone on a weeknight, for some lovely bites and cocktails. Get the English Muffin Burger, but not before you’ve started things off with some Crispy Potatoes. Wash it down with a Kentucky Cooler, a delightfully delicious bourbon-rouge vermouth-campari concoction that was surprisingly perfect for summer — especially on a hot night. If you happen to be in NYC this weekend or in the months ahead, squeeze in some time to visit the Rooftop at Pier 17 — no regrets to be found anywhere (and a heck of a view to go along with it!). Now onto the rest of today’s Friday Read. Start your weekend the right way here, will you?
The right accessories can make all the difference when it comes to your #OOTD — that’s why I’m re-upping my post on the best men’s sunglasses (and you should check out my own post on this blog covering another pair of must-have sunglasses). Any one of those pairs could be the perfect way to soak up some rays.
- Let’s keep talking about the best men’s gear, shall we? On that note, I also covered the best messenger bags for men over at The Manual, featuring tried-and-true, favorite brands like WP Standard (as seen on my Instagram) and a few others I’m sure you’ll recognize. Time to gear up!
- Lastly, let’s have a little fun before we start the weekend. You surely know Todd Snyder, my favorite American menswear designer — and assuredly, a favorite of yours, as well. But did you know that Mr. Snyder recently put his stamp on a custom-made, investment-level car? Yes indeed, the Todd Snyder FJ43 Land Cruiser is iconic and one-of-a-kind. Head to GearMoose to get the full scoop via my latest feature for that site.
One last time before we head out of here for a few days: I’d implore you to check out my favorite menswear picks for the rest of summer, featuring an indigo Western shirt, classic men’s chinos and plenty more wearable picks for any day of the week. OK, that’s all for now — cheers!
The best T-shirt for a summer weekend? Sure is!
Just one look at the above Friday Read tells you all you need to know — we’ve got a packed rundown today, starting off with the best new T-shirt to buy for summer. We’re talking, of course, about the Flint and Tinder Heavyweight Triblend Tee as seen above. It’s geared to be worn with everything from chino shorts to slim light wash denim — but you’re not here for that, right? No, sir. Let’s close out the week in style (or at least, we’ll close up shop until tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week).
After a couple very busy weekends in a row seeing my favorite band, The National — including a trip down South to the amazing Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival & a jaunt to Montreal — I’ll be spending this weekend in Brooklyn. As to Montreal, I can’t recommend the city’s mix of culinary delights (a la amazing meats at Maison Publique) and surprisingly delicious craft beer (the mix of French and Belgian influences at places like Isle De Garde was very neat to experience) enough. Throw in a killer show by The National playing old and new classics at Place des Arts, and you’ve got the recipe for a banner weekend. Oh, and for poutine and classic “greasy spoon” dishes, head to the Montreal Pool Room. Coffee and bagels? Fairmount Bagels has you covered. Can you tell I’m a big fan??
How about your plans for this weekend? I’m looking forward to catching up on the coffee scene at my favorite Brooklyn coffee shop, Milk & Honey, and I’m also looking forward to catching up on the craft beer scene at another favorite Brooklyn haunt, the always excellent Sycamore Bar & Flower Shop. As ever, you can check out how I’m dressing for a stylish summer weekend over at my Instagram. In the meantime, let’s get on with today’s Friday Read. Thanks for spending some of your weekend here!
- There’s one essential men’s grooming brand — among many, naturally — that should be on your radar this season. That brand is the aptly named Beau Brummel for Men, purveyors of everything from an effective charcoal face mask to an excellent daily moisturizer. Give my latest for The Manual a quick read to get up to speed!
- We’re going to pivot here briefly back to one of my other passions — that’d be craft beer, and specifically, some of the best beer for summer. Namely, I’ll point you toward GearMoose to read all about New Belgium’s Passion Fruit Kolsch, one heck of a light, essential beer for the warmer months.
- And in the spirit of summer style — and summer style essentials — I’m going to close things up here by pointing you back toward some of the best shorts for summer. Make no mistake, this is ever more critical with the Fourth of July quickly approaching. Best start shopping now.
Still searching for one last critical purchase in advance of the weekend? Check out my guide to the best gear for summer — if you’re not already enamored with many of those gear picks, that is. OK, it’s time for me to sign off and head out to enjoy a summer weekend. To follow along with what I’m up to, check out my profile on Instagram. That’s all for now — cheers!
The dependable and trail-ready shorts you need for a summer weekend.
If it’s a summer weekend — which it most definitely is — then you need a pair of functional, adventure-ready shorts. You need the Coalatree Trailhead Shorts, in fact; they’ll take you anywhere you need to go, from a music festival to a brewery and everywhere in between. Are you packing up these stylish shorts?
For me, what I’m packing and wearing this weekend has perhaps never been more critical — I’m heading down South to the revered Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival for the first time ever! The occasion, of course, is none other than a Saturday night festival concert by my favorite band (yes, THE NATIONAL) as they play tracks from their new album “I Am Easy To Find,” plus old favorites. I’m seriously so thrilled and excited to be able to make this trip; although I was hesitant in years past to head to The ‘Roo (the camping element makes things difficult), the introduction of one-day passes means I’ll be able to spend some time exploring Nashville (as I did in a previous September 2017 trip) while also looking forward to some standout music from my favorite band — and plenty others, including indie rock luminaries Hippo Campus. To follow along with all the fun, join me on Instagram, or else check out my Twitter. And for now, let’s get your own weekend started the right way — with my Friday Read picks below — cheers!
- For my friends at The Manual, I covered your new favorite chinos from Bonobos — they’re made from organic cotton, and in an agreeable & tailored fit. How can it get any better than that, right? Wear them with classic suede chukka boots and a slim navy polo any day of the week.
- So, Father’s Day is getting shockingly close — and we likely all know what it’s like to have a dad or father figure who’s tricky to shop for (especially if he’s got a more off-the-beaten-path hobby like indulging in rare whiskey). On that note, I covered the excellent George Dickel Bottled-in-Bond Whisky for GearMoose — get ready to taste the best whiskey you didn’t know you needed, in short.
- We mentioned above about the slim navy polo you need to wear with your new Bonobos chinos — well, my friends, one of the best men’s polos for summer can be found in my post about the new Wellen Hemp Polo. If you missed this post last week, read up accordingly now. Cheers!
That’s just about going to wrap up today’s Friday Read — where are you headed this weekend? Wherever your travels take you, be sure to get around in style with my guide on how to dress for summer travel. Elsewhere, read about the classic white sneakers that are also going to elevate your weekend. Until tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week, enjoy your Friday, folks!