We might be on the cusp of Labor Day weekend — and today’s #OOTD can certainly function well in that setting, too — but it’s also prime time to look toward early fall. Critically, how to dress for early fall is something we’ve been driving home these past few weeks on The Style Guide, and today’s #OOTD is no different. To wit: We’re taking a rugged camo jacket (perfect for long weekend travel or as a casual, cool blazer replacement) and matching it up with the kind of men’s style essentials you’d be proud to wear any time of year (but especially as the weather gets chilly). Trust me: It could be your new favorite jacket. And what about the rest of this look? You’ll find the Taylor Stitch Heavy Bag Tee below, along with some of the best men’s pants for fall — the goal here is casually rugged style that works from the coffee shop to the open road (and maybe even your office, if you can get away with it). The focus is this: The right gear picks speak for themselves, so when wearing a more flashy camo jacket, you should tone down the rest of your #OOTD accordingly. And because we’re moving ever-so-slowly into fall, that means the introduction of rugged leather boots — the kind you wear to your favorite distillery or for a quick weekend hike. It’s all about gear that can go anywhere, so mix and match these picks as you please. Alright, without further ado … here we go.
- The Jacket: Taylor Stitch Ojai Jacket in Camo Wax, $198 — Here it is, your new favorite jacket. Consider it the perfect go-between layer for breezy early fall nights. This rugged camo jacket is both subtly stylish and distinct enough to work everywhere from a rock concert to a weekend brunch.
- The Classic White Tee: Taylor Stitch Heavy Bag Tee, $45 — Now, is this a full-on white tee? Not quite. And that’s OK! The Taylor Stitch Heavy Bag Tee is A) Sustainably made and B) More durable than a thinner white tee — just what you need heading into September (and beyond).
- The Pants: Proof Rover Pants, $98 — If it’s a pair of the best men’s pants for fall that you seek, then perhaps the oft-recommended Proof Rover Pants are your best bet. Sharp and stylish, yet easily paired up with one of the best white tees out there.
- The Boots: Red Wing Heritage Weekender Chelsea Boots, $240 — Stylish Chelsea boots that just so happen to be rugged and versatile? It’s possible thanks to these rugged leather boots — they’re also lightweight and not overly clunky.
- The Watch: Jack Mason Diver Watch, $282.98 — You’ve got your rugged camo jacket, you’ve got your Red Wing Heritage boots … might as well throw on a classic dive watch as a complement to this #OOTD, ehh? Indeed!
- The Grooming Essential: Saturdays NYC Clay Pomade, $24 — We’re leaving your stylish ballcap at home on the shelf in favor of a slick, sharp hairdo via the Saturdays NYC Clay Pomade, the latest grooming essential from one of your favorite brands.
- The Everyday Bag: WP Standard Canvas Travel Bag, $215.98 — Need to hit the road in a hurry for a fall weekend trip? Need to haul a change of clothes to the office? This rugged shoulder brief is the way to go.
- The Everyday Carry: Studebaker Workshop Keyholder, $58 — Never lose track of your keys again, no matter the style situation, with this crucial everyday carry upgrade.
OK, let’s recap it all, shall we? The goal here is transitional fall style that you can even make use of during Labor Day weekend. So, a rugged camo jacket from the good folks at Taylor Stitch takes care of business for breezy fall nights, as does the Taylor Stitch Heavy Bag Tee — a one-two combo that’s subtly stylish and eyecatching. Some of the best men’s pants for fall act as another reliable outfit anchor, with the type of fabric and cut that works for fall travel or a fall day on the job. And it’s always tough to go wrong with rugged leather boots, particularly the kind that feature tough suede and sleek-but-hardworking construction. To haul your daily essentials, grab tough-as-nails, rugged shoulder brief, but not before you’ve done up your ‘do with the Saturdays NYC Clay Pomade — it’s an immediate hair upgrade that adds some refinement to this look. Don’t forgo your everyday carry, either. And last but not least: Be sure you’ve accessorized accordingly with a classic dive watch to round things out. Is this the way you’d style this #OOTD? You can always let me know on Twitter. Cheers!