Editor’s note: Expect these posts once a week on Fridays — consider this a jumpstart on reading for your weekend downtime. Expect a mix of style and non-style content. For more entries, click here.
As every week draws to a close, it’s pretty fun to carve out some time to write these posts — sometimes, that time is pretty short (those Effortless Gent features don’t write themselves), and other times, there’s a bit more room for introspection. I often like to put on some music as I write, and for about the past week, that’s consisted of “Sunlit Youth,” the fantastic new album from the fantastic indie rock band Local Natives. But what’s that got to do with menswear, you might ask? Well, those guys dress in laidback, minimal California cool garb, for one (wink, wink). And number two — well, it’s just a plain beautiful record, and it’s got me looking forward to a Northeast trip to see their Providence show, wherein we’ll have a full travel style post next month. See, there’s the tie-in! At any rate, records like that are works of art, and worth your time, too — much like some excellent menswear, yes? And it’s music that’s so far colored my week — for the better, by far (personal favorites include the soaring “Past Lives,” the hopeful and lilting “Coins” and the determined drive of tracks like “Psycho Lovers” and “Mother Emanuel”). But again, I’m just one guy. If you fancy spinning that record while you catch up on the below men’s style stories, give it a go. I guarantee it’ll be a perfect start to your weekend.
- With a new season comes the chance to buy and try out some new menswear — why not start with something supremely stylish, like this standout double-breasted camel wool suit from Banana Republic? It’s part of the brand’s new line of seasonal essentials featuring NBA All-Star Kevin Love, who cleans up pretty nicely in a variety of tailored looks from the brand. And if he can find a suit that fits him the right way, so too can you. Right?
- If you’ve been itching for a change in seasons, much like I have, this week’s Fall Style Wish List at the ole’ Style Guide should set you right. Personal favorites — besides all of ’em — include that gorgeous Flint & Tinder Flannel-Lined Waxed Trucker Jacket. Who’s ready for fall yet??
- While we’re out here talking about the change in seasons, the folks at Taylor Stitch are making gear to suit your needs for now and beyond. The Taylor Stitch Summit Sweater is what we’re talking about, and in either a marled red or navy color, it’s the perfect weight for layering up with a classic chambray shirt — so says Well-Spent, anyways.
- Elsewhere in NYC, it was New York Fashion Week, which did feature a decent helping of men’s style in addition to dozens upon dozens (upon dozens) of women’s fashion shows — for one, the J. Crew Spring 2017 menswear presentation did a fine job at showcasing what the brand does best, which would be breezy, wearable clothes for the modern man.
Want one last story to read before getting back to work?
- Speaking of Flint & Tinder, the brand is on a serious push when it comes to stellar fall menswear that’ll last and last. Slim henleys in marled fabrics, that beautiful waxed trucker jacket and even some sharp denim — it’s all up for the taking. Read more about it at The Manual, and again — shop the Flannel-Lined Waxed Trucker Jacket ASAP; you can also snag the rest of the line at Huckberry.
That’s it for the above Friday Read, ya dig? Now, back to another spin of “Sunlit Youth”…. right?
Stay stylish and keep your eyes open,