Sipping an iced coffee and reflecting pensively on a great long weekend in Cincinnati. Wearing a cotton flannel shirt from Todd Snyder and a navy T-shirt from Mott and Bow. Photo by Laura Henschke.
Gather ’round the proverbial Style Guide fire for another weekly edition of The Friday Read. It’s been a whirlwind couple of days, as I roadtripped back from Cincinnati on Monday following a long weekend trip to Cincy. What took me to Ohio? Well, if you caught last week’s Friday Read, you know that the extraordinary first edition of The National Homecoming festival was more than enough reason to visit the seriously cool city of Cincy (This terrific piece by The Ringer sums up the weekend nicely!). Headlined by, yep, The National and featuring sets from luminaries like Future Islands, Lord Huron, Julien Baker and Alvvays, we had a great time sipping on cold beverages from Rhinegheist (check us out on their Instagram!) while enjoying lovely (if somewhat chilly) spring weather. If ever you get to Cincy, I know I loved the gourmet Mexican food and margaritas at Bakersfield OTR, plus the excellent brunch deal at Nation. We also enjoyed hearty cold brews from Coffee Emporium and checked out a National-themed photography exhibit at the city’s Contemporary Arts Center! Top it off with two stellar, unique sets from The National, and you’ve got the makings of an extraordinary weekend! To say the very least. In other happenings, well, we’re about to kick off another weekend, and this one will also find me traveling back to Michigan — and Grand Rapids — for Cinco de Mayo celebrations with close high school friends. Follow along with all the fun on Instagram, and be sure to get your weekend going with a few more-than-engaging reads below. Cheers!
- Let’s get right down to it — if you missed this week’s post about spring style essentials to shop in the latest edition of The List, you need to catch up. We’ve got stylish spring sneakers, we’ve got everyday carry essentials, we’ve got a stylish weekender bag … and it’s all yours for perusing now.
- If you haven’t yet heard, J. Crew Factory is running an extraordinary summer sale, and Esquire.com has all the picks you need to shop now, right this very instant. Get to it and stock up on summer style essentials just a bit early.
- Speaking of music festivals, Pitchfork put together quite an interesting and insightful analysis of the gender balance — or rather, inbalance — at festivals via some revealing data-crunching and colorful graphs. The biggest takeaway? More representation is needed at festivals across the board! That’s all there is to it.
- Lastly, I’ll leave you with one more #menswear essential to buy now — these slim light wash jeans from Raleigh Denim, as featured on the blog last week, could feasibly see a ton of use in the weeks and months ahead. Get to shopping!
That’s all I’ve got in today’s Friday Read, my friends. Cheers!
The only thing standing between you and the weekend is today’s edition of the Friday Read. Well, not quite. Perhaps you’ve got a day on the old job ahead of you as power right on through into mid-April. If you missed the happenings this week at everyone’s favorite menswear blog (The Style Guide, of course), then we’re here to fill you in. We talked the best way to wear chukka boots this spring, and we also talked about one of the best pairs of spring chinos to buy now. So, there was certainly a lot going on in terms of style this week. Elsewhere in Brooklyn and beyond, I’m way excited to welcome my amazing girlfriend Laura to the borough and to the Big Apple for the very first time! While we’re here, she’s a marvelous photographer (and a wonderful human!), and you’d do well to check out her photography work. We’ve got lots on the docket, including exploring Prospect Park and Central Park, plus grabbing a classic NYC brunch and record shopping at the legendary Rough Trade in Brooklyn. And of course, it’ll be business as usual here on the blog, complete with tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week. For now, I’ll leave you to start your weekend with these choice reads. Thanks for supporting The Style Guide, and we’ll catch you on the flip!
- I’m all about experiential vacations that go beyond the ordinary. Such is the case with a new chance to stay in the old, famed Pabst Blue Ribbon brewery in the beer-friendly town of Milwaukee. That sounds like a trip I can get behind — my pals at The Manual have the full scoop.
- Who can resist an affordable, stylish watch? The great folks at Esquire.com have done their best to round up the best affordable watches for men, so give that a read before you make your next timepiece purchase. For my money, I think this affordable Timex watch as covered here on the blog might be your best bet for casual weekend style this season.
- Looking for an easy way to give your spring weekend style a shot in the arm? Just add a simple, easygoing and yet versatile layer like the Grayers Dalton Terry Crew (last week’s Style Pick of the Week entry). It really gets no better, folks. Wear it with light wash denim, white canvas sneakers and a slub T-shirt for off-duty style that just gets a lot of things right.
- Lastly, let’s talk one more dose of shopping today. Are you in need of new high-top sneakers for spring? Of course you are. My latest post for The Manual covers that topic precisely. Not a bad read, if I do say so myself!
That’s going to do it for today’s Friday Read. Enjoy the weekend and follow along with my adventures on Instagram and Twitter.
We’re rather quickly flying through January — tough to believe, right? This month has been packed with some stellar highlights in NYC and beyond, chief among them a weekend Philly trip to see The Killers. Hopefully, your year is off to just as action-packed of a start — what are your men’s style resolutions, and are you sticking to ’em so far? Feel free to let me know on Twitter. Hopefully, some of the advice on this blog has been helpful, including a new way to wear classic denim, shopping picks for stylish long-sleeve T-shirts and my latest weekly pick for a new flannel shirt to buy now. It’s the time of the season to upgrade your wardrobe, at least just a bit, and taking a good look at classic staples reimagined is as good a place to start as any. In the meantime, we’ll talk a bit about the world outside of menswear — including (gasp) a bit of music and a bit of T.V. time in today’s edition of The Friday Read. Read on, kick back and enjoy the weekend!
- Did you catch last week’s Style Pick? It’s got you covered when it comes time to pick up a stylish flannel shirt — specifically, Mizzen+Main definitely delivers the goods.
- On a music-related note, The Naked and Famous, one of my favorite bands, are back out on the scene again with new, stripped-down versions of some of their biggest hits, including the anthemic “Girls Like You.” Plug in now — what do you think?
- Admittedly, I don’t watch as much as TV as I should in terms of what’s new and now — but Quartz actually argues that there might be TOO much TV out there, by the numbers at least. Read up and let me know your thoughts!
- The new year — which is rapidly flying by — is all about getting into the spirit of change in matters of both style and lifestyle. With that being said, if you’ve resolved to hit the gym more, you still should keep your looks in mind. On that note, I rounded up the best men’s gym shorts over at GearMoose — go out there and get that PR now.
It’s time to call it a day (or at least, time to turn my attention to other pursuits before the weekend hits). Enjoy yours, come back for the Style Pick of the Week tomorrow and cheers!
Just like that, it’s the very first Friday Read of 2018! It’s tough to believe that we’ve knocked out a proper week in January — how are you holding up? Earlier this week, we talked men’s style resolutions — we also continued our #OOTD series and got ya ready to start the new year in style with another edition of The List (covering the best men’s gear to buy for 2018). If that doesn’t get you fired up to start the new year right, I’m not sure what will. At any rate, it’s been a pretty busy week kicking off my day job in fashion PR, and I’ve also started to churn out some more #menswear entries for GearMoose — you can expect updates on those pieces in the coming weeks & months ahead! And most importantly, I’m looking forward to getting my apartment updated with a few key home goods that Santa gave me this Christmas … including, crucially, a wooden shoe rack that’ll hopefully give me much more space in my humble Brooklyn abode. After that, I intend to get out and explore a bit of Brooklyn (likely while enjoying a few tasty treats along the way). What are your weekend plans? Feel free to connect with me on Twitter any time — let’s get to the rest of today’s post!
- The holidays are over and we’re into the new year, but I like to keep that same holiday spirit and energy extended into the new year. One way to do that? Burning a nice scented candle — seriously. GQ.com offers up picks for the best candles for your space, all with a bit of cold weather-friendly vibes:
- Ever on the cutting edge of stylish, dependable — and sometimes ridiculous — footwear, Esquire.com serves up this list of the best sneakers of the past year, some of which you’d do well to research and buy now … hopefully at slightly lower 2018 prices? Good luck out there.
- Holiday travel season might have just ended, but I still think you should seriously consider picking up the Taylor Stitch Travel Pants. Think of the remarkable Travel Pants like an upgraded sweatpant, with a fit that darn near mirrors that of your favorite chinos. Read my latest on this stellar launch for GearMoose!
My friends, that’s all the quick reads we’ve got today. Enjoy your weekend, check back for tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week
and thanks for reading!
Sitting down to write this post, checking the calendar and then realizing that, yes, 2018 was just days away was … quite wild, to say the least. And it’s fitting that we’re kicking off the year with a brand-new post on January 1st, no less! If you’re still a little, uhh, groggy, I’d recommend you check out this post on casual weekend style before rolling out of bed to check out some college football. In years past, we’ve sat down to talk about my menswear resolutions for the year ahead, but now … I want to hear yours! Style is definitely an ongoing journey, one with ups and downs — sometimes, you might lean toward something as specific as a certain cut of shirt or a certain type of jacket, and other times … you might find yourself gravitating toward style staples like sharp Chelsea boots or a rugged chambray shirt, sometimes worn in the same outfit. Again, it’s all a process, and it can be even more fun to find what you love to wear … and then build a whole wardrobe around it! I hope this blog can help you continue to do that, even just a bit.
The point is, I’m looking forward to an even better 2018 here on The Style Guide, packed with more entries in our #OOTD series, more features on the best men’s gear via our ongoing The List series, and plenty more chances to travel and share my menswear adventures along the way. What’s on the docket in the way of 2018 trips? Well, we’ve got a family trip to Europe planned for this coming March, and more music & menswear trips planned on a personal note (yes, I fully intend on seeing The National play again very soon). So, again … what are your menswear resolutions this year? Personal resolutions? Let me know in the comments below, or say “Hi” on Twitter or Facebook!
Thanks for reading — let’s make 2018 count!
My dear friends and Style Guide readers … you know what today is, yes? Christmas! In the spirit of the season, we’re taking just a bit of a break today on the blog — and I hope you’re finding the time to kick back and relax, ideally surrounded by family, friends, your holiday style wish list and a great Christmas craft beer. If you’re out on the road, I hope you dressed in holiday travel style. If not? I hope you’re still enjoying yourself, wherever you might be. I’m taking in the day with my family in lovely Fort Myers (where I also spent Thanksgiving in style). It’s been a relaxing and rejuvenating trip, and you can expect a full holidayl travel style post tomorrow (plus the requisite updates via my Instagram). After that, we’ll get back to our #OOTD series to help you close out the year in style.
Starting The Style Guide from my college house a little over four years ago has been a labor of love, and quite the tough thing to keep going at times, what with my day job in fashion PR here in the city. It’s something I genuinely enjoying sitting down to work on, and I hope you find it useful, engaging and maybe even … fun? If ever you’ve taken the time to read a post on this site, offer up a comment, check out what I have to say on Twitter or via The Style Guide Facebook page … I thank you for your support! It’s all the more worthwhile to think that maybe, just maybe, you decide to spend a bit of your time on this site every now and then. For that, I’m very grateful this Christmas! Don’t forget to keep dropping by in the months ahead — there’s plenty in the works, from the continuation of our men’s gear series The List to plenty of seasonal style suggestions, a New Year’s men’s style resolution and our Style Pick of the Week entries. With that being said, I’m going to kick back, relax and enjoy the rest of the day.
From The Style Guide to you — Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and as always … thanks for reading!
Alright, we made it to Friday — raise a glass! Or crack open a cold one and kick back. It’s the welcome end to a long week here in NYC, one that caps off a busy five days of work following my latest Style Guide trip to celebrate a Florida Thanksgiving with my family! It was a long weekend complete with an amazing Thanksgiving meal, plus many helpings of leftovers in the days following. I even got some shopping done for Black Friday — you can check out my Instagram in the coming days for more in that regard. And why should you follow along on Instagram, exactly? Well, I’m heading back down to Florida this weekend to visit my sister for the 97x Next Big Thing music festival in lovely Tampa Bay! I’m excited to hit the road tonight to take in a great, great weekend of live music featuring some seriously fun, seriously powerful bands (many of whom I’ve had the chance to see in and around NYC as of late!).
That includes the festival’s two main headliners, The Lumineers and Paramore, along with other highly enjoyable groups like Canadian pop-rockers Arkells, New Jersey’s own Bleachers, the always-fun MisterWives out of NYC, groovy indie rockers Portugal. The Man and upbeat dance rockers Saint Motel! That’s just the tip of the iceberg, though. It promises to be a sunny, fun weekend in Florida — I couldn’t be more excited to once again break out some warm weather style essentials, just as in past road trips to Florida, and it’s certainly a treat to embark on another Style Guide road trip centered around stellar music. Now, I know we can’t all be so fortunate as to head to warm weather every weekend … if you’ll be battling chilly temperatures, I’d recommend a stylish pair of boots like the Nisolo Andres Boots,our most recent Style Pick of the Week here on the blog. And if holiday shopping is in the cards for you — as it should be — then you’d do well to check out this site’s picks as to the best gifts for men. But more on that very, very shortly. For now, you can join me on Instagram to follow along with all the fun this weekend, and you should stick around tomorrow to check out our next Style Pick of the Week. Alright, now it’s off to catch my flight!
- OK, folks — have we got a heck of a deal for you. Launching today (that’s December 1st), the good folks at Nisolo — of Andres Boot fame — are offering a men’s holiday gift bundle and an equally stellar women’s holiday gift bundle that you’re not going to want to miss. Now through December 24th, customers (that’d be you!) can spend $35 to get $250 worth of shopping credit at “bundle” brands — in short, we’re talking five brands and five gift cards good for $50 at each brand. What’s in store at each brand? Well, we’ve got rugged outdoor gear from United By Blue, beautiful bags from ONA, high-quality tailoring from Ledbury and stylish men’s boots from Nisolo, among other highlight in the men’s gift bundle. Seriously, what’s not to love about that? Again, you can get the men’s holiday gift bundle and the women’s holiday gift bundle (for yourself or someone else!) through December 24th.
- Wearing a casual T-shirt this holiday season doesn’t have to be sloppy. Over my Thanksgiving trip to Florida, I found myself reaching for a Barking Irons tee time and again, featuring soft fabric and a retro fit. If that sounds good to you, you might want to pick up the “War Is Over” Tee from Barking Irons, or one of the brand’s other sharp graphic tees. They’d make a great gift for the guy who appreciates standout casual style, too.
- Let’s talk a bit of grooming today on the blog, and specifically, how to keep your teeth in prime shape during the holiday season. Between red wine, chocolate, craft beer and more, keeping your teeth white can be a tall order. So, I’ve been testing out LusterPremiumWhite and the brand’s PowerWhite Deep Stain Eraser Flouride Toothpaste (courtesy of the brand) these past few weeks, and I truly can’t recommend the brand enough! It even helped me soar through my last dentist appointment with flying colors (well, sort of). Grab a tube now.
And with that, I say goodbye until … tomorrow!
Enjoy the weekend!