Get geared up for spring with these stylish Chelsea boots from Astorflex and Huckberry.
First off, my friends: Thanks for joining us for another edition of The Friday Read. If you’ve just about had it with winter, well, you’re not alone — I have, too. That’s why I’d recommend investing in some of the best spring boots — the Astorflex Bitflex Chelsea Boots as seen above. They’re a favorite of the blog (as seen in this post). And the even better news is, this new pair of Chelsea boots just got an upgrade, all thanks to the tough nubuck upper. They’re sure to become (quite possibly) your new favorite pair of boots, to make a long story short.
So, to business! Today, we’ve got lots of ground to cover — it’s time for a weekend trip of a different nature for yours truly! Well, nearly time. Tomorrow morning, the Hayhoe family is taking our traditional March family trip (celebrating my dad’s 60th this time!) to a far more exotic destination than I’ve traveled of late: The sandy beaches and crystal-clear water of Turks and Caicos! It’s a far cry from Dublin, but I couldn’t be more thrilled to ditch my winter style essentials — seriously — and take in some rays. Want to see how I transition from the winter to the warmth of Turks and Caicos? It’ll be a tough task, but head to my Instagram for more. Oh, and the rest of your Friday Read is below!
- For GearMoose, I wrote about an iconic jacket from an iconic brand that you need for spring — specifically, a rough-and-tumble Filson piece perfect for transitional style.
- If you ask me, I think it’s worth revisiting this post on the best early spring style essentials, from transitional outerwear to the best flannel shirt to comfortable bedding. Chilly, breezy weather is going to be with us for a while, so that’s certainly one way to tackle it — that’s all there is to it.
- Speaking of early spring style essentials, there’s one style of jacket I think you’re going to get a lot of usage out of for the coming season — the classic trucker jacket. On that note, I wrote about the best men’s trucker jackets for my friends at The Manual — give it a read!
That’s going to close up shop for me today — I’ve got some last-minute packing to do, and some sunshine to anticipate! If you still want one last item to read before you start the weekend, you’d do well to check out this piece on the best leather belt to buy now. Now meaning, well, right this instant. Let me know on Twitter if you pick it up. Thanks for reading!
First of all: Happy Friday, Style Guide readers? Are you ready for the weekend? Are you ready to close out March? Know that we’ve got plenty of spring style essentials, shopping picks and outfit suggestions coming your way across the next month. But for now, let’s turn our attention to another edition of The Friday Read. Most importantly, I’m hitting the road back to the Detroit area for the weekend today. I’m looking forward to exploring Detroit, visiting must-see spots like Third Man Records, and enjoying some excellent coffee, brunch and Bloody Mary’s (what more could you ask for out of a weekend!?). As I hit the road, I’ll likely be listening to a new favorite band of mine, Australian indie rockers Gang of Youths. I first saw this powerful, epic rock band last February and had the chance to see them again on Sunday at Bowery Ballroom — I’d recommend them, without a doubt. And in the meantime, I’d also recommend you check out this week’s featured reading — from my latest feature at The Manual to a piece that Wes Anderson lovers will surely enjoy, we’ve got something for everyone below. Enjoy!
- Over at The Manual, I wrote about the essentials you’re going to need for spring — from crucial layering moves to cool sneakers and a great watch, I hope you find these picks helpful as we bridge the gap between seasons.
- If you didn’t catch last week’s featured men’s style pick on the blog — that’d be the Iron & Resin Reserve Jacket — well, here’s your chance. Read that piece, buy that jacket and step out this weekend (and every other weekend, for that matter!).
- For lovers of both music and Wes Anderson films — of which I’m both — I thin you’ll greatly enjoy this excellent feature on the music behind his movies, and his overall approach. Some seriously cool stuff!
That’ll be the last of today’s featured articles, folks. Enjoy the weekend, and check back for our next Style Pick of the Week!
It’s time to grab your favorite brew, kick back and throw on your favorite band — it’s Friday, after all. And of course, that means the Friday Read is here to welcome you back into the weekend with open arms. I’m certainly glad the week is done — namely, that means this dispatch is coming to you from sunny Florida, where I’ve jetted south to spend the next few days with my family at Walt Disney World for a birthday weekend! On the docket? Well, other than warm-weather #menswear aplenty, we’ve got plans to visit Hollywood Studios and Magic Kingdom, and Saturday is the day where I’ll be taking on the fun (yet infamous?) challenge of imbibing at every single “country” around the world at Disney’s Epcot. It won’t get too out of control, I presume. Either way, I’m planning on recapping it all on the blog here on Monday, and you can follow along in real time on Instagram, too. Let me know what’s on your plate this weekend via the comments or The Style Guide Facebook page. Let’s get to it!
- Esquire.com can always be counted on for affordble, easy-to-wear style that comes through in the clutch. That’s the case with its new and ongoing series “The Endorsement,” which breaks down one stellar item and brand in a particular category — in this case, we’re talking high-end sneakers to buy now. Not bad, ehh?
- Have you dealt with your own version of the polar vortex yet? If not — or even if you just want to stock up on #menswear for the next one — these are my standout picks for what to wear for the polar vortex, via The Manual. Enjoy and stay warm!
- Perhaps you’ve seen this by now, but one of everyone’s favorite action heroes, Tom Hardy, apparently dropped a mixtape back in 1999 that, well, might be worth listening to? For what it’s worth, I don’t think “dropped a mixtape” has ever been taped here on the pages of The Style Guide. Onward!
- The search for the right winter jacket can be taxing and frustrating, so I’d hope that this site’s ongoing See Now, Buy Now series can lend a little relief. On that note, the Tom Beckbe Tensaw Jacket might just be a perfectly durable, perfectly tough and perfectly stylish coat to buy this very instant. Start the weekend right, yeah?
That’ll close out today’s Friday Read. Enjoy the weekend!
The world keeps turning, the clock keeps ticking and so, we find ourselves again at the end of the week — and another fun-filled Friday Read, ehh? Have you covered all of your #menswear bases this summer? That is to say, have you picked up stylish leather high-top sneakers or added any items to your summer style wish list? We’ve still got another month of summer to come yet — and with that, a few upcoming highlights in this neck of woods. Coming on the heels of a busy New York Fashion Week: Men’s earlier this month, I’m excited to hop on the subway this weekend to the second rendition of one-of-a-kind NYC festival Panorama, as much a celebration of tech and art as it is excellent music from the likes of Solange, Frank Ocean, Mitski and Future Islands (among many others). I had an incredible Saturday at Panorama 2016 — dressed in prime music festival style, of course — and I’m very much looking forward to taking in two action-packed days this coming weekend, starting shortly today! As it were, you can look for a full post recapping how to dress for a music festival (and how to make the most of those craft beer tents — am I right?). At any rate, you can follow along in the meantime on Instagram and Twitter — and as scheduled, we’re coming at you with our regularly scheduled Style Pick of the Week tomorrow. It’s all in a day’s work here. Enjoy the weekend, and we’ll catch up tomorrow!
- There are underrated areas when it comes to men’s grooming essentials, and there are areas that tend to be overlooked altogether. One could argue that solid colognes get overlooked a bit, especially when so many brands offer up scented spray colognes. So with the aim of spreading knowledge — all in the name of #menswear, of course — I wrote about the best solid colognes for men for the fine folks at GearMoose. Read up and shop away!
- Your Style Guide team of one already filled you in on how to dress to head to the beach — but what about what to wear on a boat? I covered exactly that for The Manual recently — I sure do hope you find it helpful and informative! Like what you’ve read? Let me know on Twitter, ehh?
- As seems to be the case lately, let’s end this version of The Friday Read on a music-related note. As of earlier this month, the lovely ladies of California-based rock trio HAIM are back with a new album. Just as with “Days Are Gone,” the group’s 2013 debut, they’re very adept at making shiny, upbeat and yet well-crafted, emotional AND summer-friendly rock. I’d urge you to listen as you kick back with a refreshing summer beer — preferably wearing a pair of summer’s best sneakers?
We’re closing up shop early today — I’ve got some music to see!
Thanks, as always, for reading — stay stylish!
Sometimes, in the daily production of everyone’s favorite #menswear blog — that’s this blog, The Style Guide — it seems there’s not enough time or space to cover everything that needs to be covered. From new series like The List (highlighting the best men’s gear to buy now) to weekly series like our #OOTD and Style Pick of the Week entries, there’s a lot of content that’s rolling out — to say the least. And when I need to really lock in and get it done, I often turn to my favorite music. I say this because there are some songs and records I find myself putting on a lot — like, a lot.
And on the note, I’d say that it’s essential — yes, essential — that you listen to the beautifully crafted, emotionally written and perfectly composed “Melodrama” by Lorde . It’s a fine record that’s sure to sit near the top — or at the top — of many a year-end album ranking, and I’ve listened to it a lot since its release just a short time ago. If that sounds like the idea of a great way to kick off the weekend, I’m here to do you one better — complement it with a full rundown of the week in men’s style news and interesting tidbits from Brooklyn and beyond! Right? Right. To keep up with my weekend — and weekday — shenanigans, follow me on Instagram or Twitter. And to get a daily dose of menswear, check out The Style Guide Facebook page. Happy reading — happy listening, too!
With Jane.com, you get the chance to pick up a stylish tee, denim and crisp sneakers all at once — and that’s just the start of it! Learn more below.
- Ever needed one cool place to satisfy all of your stylish men’s clothing needs all at once? Ideally, a boutique marketplace with products that have personality, style and some unique design touches? That’s what Jane.com provides for you — that is to say, you can get everything from stylish knitwear to slim denim and crisp sneakers at affordable prices from sharp retailers. And the end results? Pretty stylish, if I do say so myself — I was more than pleased with the slim black denim, casual-yet-classic sneakers and rugged raglan tee I picked from the site. Again, it’s one easy spot to take care of your men’s fashion needs, and that should be applauded.
- There are some times when you want a crisply designed, no-frills watch … and there are times when you want a watch with a little bit of bold personality (and the requisite functionality, of course). In the search for stylish men’s watches, things can get tricky. Yet, there’s help! With both sleek style and the versatility that comes with multiple color options, the True Thinline Collection from Rado Watches offers you the best of both worlds. You get a watch that can accessorize with simple summer outfits while providing a pop of color. Crucially, watches from the True Thinline Collection can also travel with you — the lack of a leather strap means you don’t need to match it to your shoes and belt to your favorite watch. Handy and stylish in more ways than one, ehh?
- While we’re on the topic of bold-yet-wearable, stylish summer sunglasses and summer-friendly accessories, you might do well to check out the latest launch from Style Guide favorites Electric California. I took the brand’s sunglasses with me on a summer weekend trip to Florida, I’ve recently been checking out a stylish Electric watch, and perhaps you recall the brand from my Father’s Day gift guide. So, it’s winning style all the way around — and they recently released the quick-selling Zombie S, a bold set of shades for those who love the West Coast. Importantly, the brand worked with Scotty Stopnik of the revered California surf/skate/chopper haven Cycle Zombies on two shades that capture the independent, bold spirit of the industry and the area. How’s that for upgrading your pair of stylish summer sunglasses?
Did you enjoy this week’s Friday Read? If so, I’d love to hear from you in the comments. For now, I’ve got a work day to finish up — and then, it’s off to enjoy one of the best beers for summer, I’d wager. Hope your plans are similar, folks.
Thanks for reading, and we’ll see you for tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week.
This week, I’ve found myself looking back — and looking forward — quite a bit. I’ve been looking back on an incredible mini-trip to Philadelphia and New Jersey to see The Killers about two weeks ago now, and I’ve also been looking back on a great family wedding weekend in Charleston. Both trips brought amazing memories, a dash of excellent #menswear and hearty helpings of craft beer (and in the case of my Jersey trip, stunning live tunes!).
I’m also looking forward to a few other momentous events coming up, including a holiday weekend in NYC surrounding the Fourth of July, plus an exciting month of live music (including a mid-July show by one of my all-time favorite bands, The Naked and Famous!). In the meantime, you can be sure we’ll be talking plenty of men’s style news on the site, from American-made denim to the best shorts to buy for summer and the best new men’s gear to buy now— and plenty more! If that’s of interest, I’d say you should definitely stick around. Before we get to that though, we’ve got a laidback weekend in the Big Apple coming up, and a full rundown of the week in #menswear to kick it off — per usual, as it were! Follow me on Instagram to keep up with the latest, and have a drink on me tonight.
Two distinctly different shoe options available for pre-order from an excellent retailer.
- Let’s talk summer wedding style as mentioned above — what’s your dress shoe situation like? If you’ve got some time to plan ahead, the fine folks of Beckett Simonon can surely sort you out, and quite handsomely. The company’s well-done pre-ordering process — one that updates you every step of the way via E-mail, from production to shipping — is definitely quite neat. Of course, you might know Beckett Simonon from a Style Pick of the Week entry on the terrific Cole Bomber Jacket on this site, but the brand is so much more. Perhaps you’re familiar with the insanely cool-looking Morgen Trainer as seen above? And from the handsome Dean Oxford in Brown Leather to a sharp and useful collection of three Italian leather belts, the company’s fine craft is evident throughout the entire process. Again, if you’ve got some time to plan ahead, pre-order one (or several?) pairs of the brand’s stylish men’s dress shoes and be prepared to take that late summer wedding by storm.
- In retail news, one of my favorite purveyors of stylish leather watches, Shinola, just opened what should be an incredible, well-appointed retail space in chic SoHo here in NYC. Swing by if you’re in the Big Apple — you can find this shop in addition to the new Shinola Brooklyn shop and the brand’s handsome flagship in Tribeca. Happy shopping! be
- We’re at it again — the three-ring circus that is the traveling band of menswear shows (kidding, kidding) is starting up again, this time at the world’s largest menswear fair, Pitti Uomo. As always, it’s brought out its fair share of well-dressed guys and … overly dressed guys. See the best-dressed guys at Pitt Uomo here.
- Among other menswear developments, I’m particularly excited about a new series launched recently on the blog — it’s called The List, and it’s a rundown of great gear and essentially, the best menswear to buy now. Our first List included a plethora of great picks, from stylish Chelsea boots to a handsome leather watch and summer drinking essentials from my good pals at Bespoke Post. I’m very much looking forward to continuing the series, and I hope you’re looking forward to reading it.
Let’s start to wrap things up with some music — agreed? The Killers
— a stunning, soul-stirring and ridiculously excellent live band — released their new single, “The Man
” late last week. It was fitting coming off of my weekend trip to New Jersey
to see them play! Have you heard it yet? It’s a groovy, heavy, funky track that might fit in more readily with Mr. Brandon Flowers’ solo work … and yet, it’s got me as excited as ever to hear their new album, “Wonderful, Wonderful.”
Now, I’m moreso a proponent of stylish summer sneakers
, but that didn’t stop me from writing about the best sandals for men
over at one of my favorite style sites, GearMoose — they’re definitely a summer style essential if you’re on the beach or the boardwalk. Shop on!
In short order, that’s going to wrap up today’s Friday Read — are you ready for the weekend yet? I’m ready to kick back, relax and enjoy a nice, cold beer (or an iced coffee). Catch me tomorrow for our regularly scheduled Style Pick of the Week
, and we’ll see you around!
Ladies and gentlemen, gather round — it’s time for another edition of The Friday Read here on The Style Guide. As we power through April, there are some exciting things on the horizon this spring in NYC. Namely, I’m excited to help host two great work events — both related to #menswear, naturally — in the next two weeks on behalf of Coyne Agency. The work never stops! And yet, we’re churning out plenty of great style-related content here on the blog and via GearMoose and The Manual. Need transitional footwear for spring? I’ve got you covered. Wondering how to dress for a spring road trip? Consider it taken care of. On other fronts, there’s plenty going on, as well — what have you been listening to, namely? The NYC music scene always seems to present new and exciting opportunities and shows around every corner — on that front, you can look for news of an exciting music-related writing venture on the way from yours truly in the coming weeks! In the meantime, start your weekend early with the best men’s style news of the week — and follow along for my weekend adventures over on Instagram and Twitter, 24/7.
The mission of Mission Belt — quite literally — revolves around giving back to those in need through micro-loans that help them pursue their dreams.
- Want a belt that’s more than just a belt? Seriously, you won’t be disappointed with Mission Belt. Crucially, the company makes sleek, essential belts with no holes — just an easy-to-slide adjustable track on the interior of the belt. Add in a range of clean and classic color options and belt combos, and you’re all set — but that’s far from it. The company puts part of each sale toward providing micro-loans for those in need across the world — these loans can go a long way, and often launch small business (such as the story of Mission Belt friend Luis Melendez, who turned an old bus into a mini transportation fleet and a growing business with the help of the company). Still not sold? The company’s belts are affordable, well-made and able to slide on and off easily — that’s the case if you pair ’em with everything from slim light wash denim to olive cargo pants.
- Need a new pair of stylish spring sneakers in your rotation? Of course you do. And luckily for all of us, Esquire.com recently rounded up the best new spring sneakers. Among that list, the GREATS Royale and Wooster Sand and Perf Pack are particularly sharp and spring-ready. Wear ’em with a white polo and slim light wash denim for spring weekends …. starting right now.
- So, you need new, stylish swim trunks for summer — right? Well, I’ve got you covered. It was a pleasure and an honor to speak once again with Mr. Todd Snyder for The Manual about the classic, essential Todd Snyder x Birdwell Beach Britches collaboration, featuring retro-inspired swim trunks, a beach towel and even a T-shirt; the fact that it’s all inspired by designs found in the Birdwell archives — and current rotation — is very agreeable and stylish indeed.
One last item before you go…
- A useful, cleanly designed and well-made pen is among perhaps the more underrated everyday carry essentials for us stylish guys and gals — might I recommend the Inventery Mechanical Pen for all your daily writing needs? It’s among my latest offerings for GearMoose. Enjoy!
Alright — that’s all she wrote today. Let’s get onto the weekend! You can still expect another Style Pick of the Week tomorrow, and I think you’ll quite like it — just my opinion.
Thanks for reading!