A unique pair of packable, wearable spring and summer travel shoes.
I can tell you this — today’s post centers a lot around spring travel, so it’s fitting that I’m recommending the Astorflex Patnoflex as the one pair of shoes you need this weekend. Wear them on the plane, wear them off the plane, and pack ’em in your bag without worry. Come to think of it, I could use a pair of these — perhaps the best travel shoes — given my weekend plans!
As we speak, I’m on the road to Los Angeles for what should be a truly banner weekend — my last trip to the City of Angels was, surprisingly enough, way back in October 2015! The reason for this long-overdue trip? Well, it’s perhaps the best possible reason I can think of to get on a plane across the country: A “Special Evening with The National,” of course! The night is set to feature a concert, a film screening and Q&A featuring my favorite band & my heroes, The National!
These indie rock champions are set to debut new material from the forthcoming album “I Am Easy to Find,” complete with an accompanying film from director Mike Mills (and starring Alicia Vikander, no less). It’ll be a special preview of the album before it drops on May 17th, and that’s pretty exciting — to say the very least. Have any suggestions for what I should do in Los Angeles? Places I should visit (aside from the requisite trips to Angel City Brewery and HomeState Tacos)? Let me know on Twitter and Instagram — and in the meantime, we’ve got an in-depth look here at the best menswear news of the week.
Perhaps you’re well-aware of what you normally wear to the bar when you’re at home in terms of a go-to outfit, from vintage sneakers to a classic denim shirt. That being said, what do you wear when you hit up the bars while traveling? As in, what does one wear on a spring break bar crawl
? I wrote about just that for The Manual earlier this season. Cheers!
Speaking of a spring break bar crawl … perhaps you’ll come across some flavorful, out-of-character Pabst Blue Ribbon Extra
, a new offering from the legendary makers of everyone’s favorite “hipster” beer, PBR. I had the chance to write about this higher-ABV sipper for GearMoose, and I’d suggest you keep your eyes peeled for it the next time you set foot in your PBR-oriented watering hole.
Let’s get back to menswear — more specifically, let’s revisit my guide on how to dress for the office
this spring, featuring appearances from rugged Chelsea boots, slim dark denim and a classic blazer. How does that sound? Can’t go wrong in my opinion!
That’ll wrap up today’s Friday Read as I fly across the country to L.A. — again, feel free to chime in on Twitter if there are certain must-hit spots out West! And before I go, I’ll remind you that you need a pair of the best light wash denim for spring and summer. That’s all there is to it. Have a great weekend, folks!
A lightweight, durable pair of spring Chelsea boots.
Right off the bat, it might seem the stylish boots seen at the top of the page — the Danner Mountain 600 Chelsea Boots — are more suited for fall and winter than spring. Rest assured, that’s not the case. These are the lightweight hiking boots you need in your rotation, and they’ll look just as stylish as the brewpub for happy hour afterward this spring and summer (they’ll pair particularly well with slim light wash jeans, too). So, that’s how I’d encourage you to start your weekend — by picking up a pair of those Danner boots. From there, well, you can go just about anywhere.
That’s what I’m planning to do this weekend, at least. I’m hoping to check out a few noted spots in lovely Red Hook, a former maritime hub in Brooklyn that still retains its charm. Brunch at Fort Defiance is on tap, as is a stop at vintage menswear emporium Wooden Sleepers — I’ll be wearing my own pair of the Danner Mountain 600 Chelsea Boots, as it were. It’s been a rather quiet April on the travel front, but I’m gearing up for a big coastal trip next weekend — stay tuned there! And for now, check out all the new men’s style essentials and tips for spring below. Oh, and be sure to find me on Instagram, too. Cheers!
- If you want affordable grooming essentials that take all the little details into account, you want the Groundskeeper by Dollar Shave Club set of hard-working, spring-friendly men’s grooming essentials — and you’re in luck, because I covered it for GearMoose. Can’t go wrong with a seasonal grooming upgrade!
- As far as essential men’s sneakers go, there’s one particular style that can do a ton of heavy lifting for you — that would be a pair of the best white sneakers. From luxe leather options to hard-wearing canvas models from brands you know and love, read my full roundup over at The Manual.
- While we’re talking about upgrading and improving your spring style, it’s just as important to keep in mind that even your off-duty fits deserve an update. With that in mind, I’m going to direct you toward a full rundown of the best new men’s style gear as we discuss how to upgrade your casual spring style this season. From a classic slub tee to timeless high-top sneakers, we’ve got something for everybody — you’ll be the best-dressed guy at the bar this weekend.
That’s the end of today’s Friday Read, folks. Having fun yet? Still looking for something to read to wile away the day? Check out all of my tips on how to wear a classic T-shirt for spring, if you feel so inclined. Or, read about the stylish cotton blazer that’ll upgrade any outfit (but especially one featuring a classic chambray shirt and slim tan chinos). How does that sound? Just add a delicious spring beer and call it a day. Have a good one, folks!
The one and only denim jacket you need for spring and summer, available right now.
I’ll come right out and say it — the one jacket you need to wear this weekend is the Flint and Tinder Type 2 Trucker Jacket. Seriously, it could be the best denim jacket on the market, and that’s really saying something. As sold by Huckberry (and available in the site’s section of Just Landed new gear), it belongs on your back for many spring and summer weekends to come. How could you not love the throwback style and yet modern cool that this thing brings to the table, right? At any rate, I digress — we’ve got work to do. Well, not a ton of work, seeing as it’s the start of a spring weekend and all. After quite a few weeks on the road (including a recent trip to wonderful Portland, Maine as seen on my Instagram), I’ll be hanging back in Brooklyn this weekend, enjoying a favorite cup of coffee and visiting with an old college friend up from Washington, D.C., and taking in all the city has to offer on the craft brewing front (I think a trip to Five Boroughs Brewing is in the cards). And if I had my way, well, I’d be wearing the Flint and Tinder Typer 2 Trucker Jacket for exploring many a great brewery — but a guy can dream, right? For adding to your own menswear wish list, check out my Friday news selections below. Thanks for reading!
- OK, so I mentioned the wildly popular show “Game of Thrones” up above in the headline … but I don’t watch the show (sorry!), so why did I call it out? Well, it’s got a menswear-specific tie-in. Namely, the John Varvatos x Game of Thrones collaboration just dropped, and I wrote about it for The Manual! Get even more of your GOT fix by reading up on the full offering.
- We’re well and truly into spring sneaker season — it’s with that in mind that I put together my own guide recently on the blog covering how to wear sneakers this spring. Can’t go wrong with an entry in our ongoing #OOTD series, can you?
- If you follow me on Instagram, you know I appreciate a tasty whiskey — in an Old Fashioned or on its own, on the rocks — as much as the next guy. In that regard, it was pretty neat to learn and write about Yellow Rose Outlaw Bourbon, one spirit you should serioulsy consider adding to your bar cart — read about why it’s so unique and essential (hint: It involves Texas corn!) over at GearMoose.With the weekend nearly upon us, I bet you’re ready to get going. Not so fast, my friends. Stick around for one more second to read about this spring’s must-buy boots (from Taylor Stitch naturally). And while you’re still here, you might want to read about the classic leather watch you need on your wrist … ASAP. OK, that’ll do it from me. Have a good one!
Unbelievably excellent boots for fall and winter — just what the doctor ordered.
First things first: Those boots right there are the Rhodes Dean Boots, and these Portuguese-built boots might be some of the best fall boots your money can buy. They’re simply perfect for the season, and I’m highlighting ’em with good reason today — trust me, you’d do well to shop these essential men’s boots. Now, on to business. We’ve made it to Friday — the final Friday in October, no less! I’ve spent this week taking in the changing seasons in New York City, and after a very busy and hectic couple of weeks, I couldn’t be happier to have some time off, some rest and some tasty coffee & craft beer on tap in Brooklyn these next few days. Have you been keeping up with the blog? If not, I’d urge you to get on board with the men’s style essentials you need for the season, plus the best leather jacket to buy now (as covered in last week’s Friday Read!). We’ve also told you all about how to wear sneakers this fall — complementing classic, retro-inspired footwear is easy when you’ve got rugged shirting and easygoing accessories, in short. It’s not all about menswear on the blog, though. Earlier this week, I had the very cool chance to check out a VIP media dinner (yes, I’m very important!) at John Doe Craft Bar & Kitchen with the excellent West Coast-based beer purveyors at Anchor Brewing! Led by Brewmaster Scott Ungermann, one of the highlights was assuredly a chance to try the brewery’s famed, 44th Annual Christmas Ale — a true and delicious rarity, it was simply incredible. Be on the lookout for it starting November 1st! So, with all of that in the books, I’m very much looking forward to the weekend. Start yours the right way below, my friends. Thanks for reading!
- Let’s kick this thing off with rugged fall menswear aplenty — namely, I rounded up my top fall style picks from Filson for The Manual. From hard-wearing bags to layering-ready shirting, this Pacific Northwest brand consistently delivers.
- As a huge fan of live music — and a fan of hitting the road to see some excellent live music — I loved reading this Consequence of Sound piece on the best music venues in 10 American cities. What’s your favorite venue in your city? Any places you’re dying to check out?
- We’re flashing it back here on the blog to this post on a true fall style essential — your favorite fall jeans from Flint and Tinder (that’d be the Flint and Tinder Stonewashed Jeans, as an FYI). Pick up a pair, throw ’em on and style them with a rugged flannel shirt and tough brown leather boots.
- I mentioned this earlier, but it’s been a heck of a busy and beer-filled week, thanks in particular to the evening I spent on Wednesday with Anchor Brewing — on that note, it was my pleasure to cover the Anchor Brewing Fog Breaker IPA for GearMoose, a seasonally friendly beer that’s here just in time for the weekend.
Alright, so that’s our Friday Read for you. Feel like following along with my weekend escapdes? Be sure we’re connected on Instagram. Need something else to keep you busy. Read more about the fall corduroy pants to buy now. Or, check out my guide on how to wear a denim shirt for fall and winter. OK, that’s all I’ve got for now.
Enjoy your weekend!
Hey there, my friends — let’s raise a glass to the weekend, yes? It’s been a jam-packed week in NYC, from a media event at my day job at NYC’s Coyne PR to some excellent rock shows on the side, including a long-awaited retun from my pals in the West Coast-based indie rock band Mainland. They played the legendary Mercury Lounge on Wednesday night as part of a sold-out tour alongside fellow rockers The Wrecks — talk about a great night of guitar-driven jams. And for what it’s worth, the latest Mainland release, the anthemic “I Found God,” is an excellent, high-voltage song packed with power and a poignant, moving music video to go along with it. A heck of a way to spend a Wednesday night, certainly! This weekend promises more fun, too — I’m heading upstate for a quick day trip to the lovely town of Beacon, home to the world-class Dia: Beacon art museum. It’ll be a nice getaway after a busy week, and I’m bringing my favorite fall style essentials with me, of course. For full coverage, be sure to check out my Instagram. What’s on the docket this weekend for you? On the style front, I’d say you should prep to dress for your next tailgate in style if you’re heading out to a ballgame. Taking things just a bit more casually? We’ve also got you set when it comes to weekend style essentials. Again, I hope you enjoy the weekend — and I hope it’s filled with great coffee, great brunch and great beer!
- It’s never too early to start shopping around for the best men’s holiday gifts — right? Right? Luckily, our pals at Huckberry have darn near everything you need for a great stocking stuffer (and beyond). Some initial favorites of mine? Ursa Major’s Essential Face Wipes, the cool and cozy Acorn Astronaut Slippers, Fulton & Roark Shave Cream, and of course, the Be Home Copper Bar Set. Fear not, though — we’ll cover plenty of holiday gift suggestions and Black Friday deals in the week ahead.
- If you’re on the hunt for a new timepiece — which you certainly should be — your search might just be ending … well, today. Martenero lovingly crafts durable, striking timepieces with heritage quality and a modern edge. The Kerrison, the brand’s latest effort is A) Assembled in New York and B) Made with some seriously cool design touches. We’re talking a crisp, simple and stylish everyday watch. It’s available for pre-funding on Kickstarter now and if I were you … I’d hop over to that page and hand over some money.
- While we’re talking all things Kickstarter, how about upgrading your everyday carry? Maybe with something as simple as the Minimal Mechanical Pencil? From Modern Fuel, this excellently designed mechanical pencil is simple enough to be essential — in short, it’s a pencil you’ll want to pre-fund now … before you find yourself using it all the time, everyday. Plege $340 or more and get the Collector’s Set, featuring one of each pencil. Tell me that’s not a great deal, ehh?
- Now, aside from menswear writing and live music, I’ve got another passion — that of excellent craft beer. It’s easy to find so many great spots serving up richly crafted beer in NYC, but October (a recently launched beer and music-centric publication) delves into a cool question: What if you only had two taps at your restaurant or bar? What would you serve? The examples seen in this feature are pretty neat, to say the least.
That’s going to do it for this week’s Friday Read — enjoy a nice weekend, shop a few of my fall men’s style essentials, and see you tomorrow for the Style Pick of the Week. Cheers!
Hey there, folks — it’s Friday! And it’s time to wrap up the work week here and jet off into the weekend (preferably dressed in casual weekend style). The start of November means a few things, at least for me personally … namely, it’s a month that’s VERY closely associated with my favorite song by my favorite band (that’d be “Mr. November” by The National). Does that stellar song top my list of things to look forward to this month? Well, of course not … but it’s a fun one nonetheless. We’ve also got Thanksgiving on the horizon, along with Black Friday shopping aplenty; you can expect a full rundown of stylish men’s gear to buy for that occasion here in the next few weeks. For now though, I’m happy to be at home in Brooklyn this weekend. My fall travels have taken me out to Portland and south to Nashville, along with a quick Northeast jaunt to Boston to see, as luck would have it … The National! But my focus is solely on the homefront this weekend. I’m planning on swinging by my favorite menswear and coffee shop, Upstate Stock, to check out plenty of finely crafted #menswear, and I’m also hoping to make my way to a local sports bar to cheer on my beloved Michigan State Spartans as the battle the Penn State Nittany Lions in a college football showdown. What’s on your weekend agenda? Before you dive in, check out the below men’s style news for your reading pleasure. Cheers!
- Want a simply designed, yet simply unbeatable, windbreaker? The GoRuck Simple Windbreaker (would ya look at that!) is the one to buy now! Read more via my latest GearMoose post, and check out my own guide on how to wear a bomber jacket for more inspo.
- Make no mistake, I’m not necessarily a hiking enthusiast, per se — but I know great outdoor gear (and rugged style essentials) when I see it on the market. Interestingly enough, Gear Patrol makes the case that you shouldn’t buy new outdoor gear … how about that? What’s your take on that?
- Now, I sure do love me a stylish men’s henley — and if you happened to catch my feature for The Manual on the best men’s henleys, you know that all too well! Get yourself one before it’s too late, my friends.
Alright, my friends … that’s all the #menswear I’ve got for ya today!
Enjoy the weekend, and check back for tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week!
Let’s turn the page on another week and hop right into the weekend here on The Style Guide. With another Friday Read comes another step closer toward fall. From football tailgates to breaking in new Chelsea boots all the way through to knocking back a rich IPA or an Oktoberfest beer at your local haunt, it’s a great time to prep for the season with perfectly rugged fall style. We’ve been talking a lot about those themes on the blog, from a new way to wear your denim jacket to the best men’s boots for fall, too.
If all of that #menswear doesn’t get you excited, I’m not sure what will! I know I’m excited to break out some new seasonal favorites — you can follow me on Instagram for more there. And in the meantime, you might want to tag along this coming weekend; I’ll be hitting the road in style once again, this time on a West Coast trip to lovely Portland! It’s coming on the heels of a big fall event at my day job, so the trip is perfectly timed for a little rest, relaxation, craft beer, fall menswear and of course, some live music. Who exactly is on the docket? Why, passionate, energetic and plain fun synth pop band Future Islands! Give their new album, “The Far Field,” a spin as you relax with your weekend coffee and a few prime pieces of men’s style news — which, as always, you can find below!
- As we talked about earlier, it’s the perfect season for a great pair of stylish leather boots — right? Right. And my picks for The Manual covering the best leather boots for men might just take the cake. At least, that’s what I think! Read up now, folks.
- Fancy getting out of the city on a hike? I know I could use a getaway every now and then — and if you’re more outdoors-minded than this city dweller, one of the best pairs of men’s hiking pants, as written about by yours truly, could very well be of interest. Get out there and get to it!
Alright, we’re keeping it short and sweet today — although if I had to make one last recommendation, it’d be to read this neat Esquire rundown of why you need a denim shirt in your fall men’s style rotation. Get it? Got it? Good.
Happy Friday and enjoy the weekend!