Editor’s note: Expect these posts once a week on Fridays — consider this a jumpstart on reading for your weekend downtime. Expect a mix of style and non-style content. For more entries, click here.
There are weeks that, despite flying by in a blur, make you grateful for what you do and where you live. This week was definitely one of them. But first things first — how did you celebrate Valentine’s Day? Happily in love or happily alone? Hopefully, you found our Valentine’s Day style suggestion helpful. As for me, I kept quite busy this week with pursuits both #menswear and music-related — as seems to be the case these days. And luckily, there’s perhaps no better place to pursue both of these ends than NYC. Yes indeed, there’s probably nothing I love more than a great live show — and this week’s been full of them. It’s always an honor and a treat to check out a show at the legendary Mercury Lounge — a former home to bands (and personal favorites) like The Strokes and The National — and seeing an upcoming band like upbeat, powerful Aussie rockers Gang of Youths gives me hope for the spirit of the genre. So, that kickstarted the week — and of course, I rocked my JackThreads Munro Leather Biker Jacket for the occasion. But, that’s not all. If you haven’t yet plugged your headphones into the high-voltage, no-holds-barred rock of Chicago natives The Orwells, look out. It was a treat to attend their album release show at hallowed Brooklyn venue/record shop Rough Trade NYC, and the group’s brand-new album, “Terrible Human Beings,” is one you’re going to want to spin if you appreciate a simpler era in rock. Oh, and last but not least …. it’s time for show no. 3 tonight! Again, some weeks fly by in a blur, but I’m beyond excited to see the fun, positive and infectious rock of Frank Turner and the Sleeping Souls, supported by another amazing band in their own right, Canada’s Arkells. Who’s ready? Now, before you dash out to your own slate of concerts and weekend activities, catch up with what you missed in men’s style (and yes, music) this week. Keep up in the meantime via Instagram and Twitter — TGIF and cheers!
- Let’s get your weekend started with a nice #menswear deal — shall we? You might recall Johnnie-O from a few past entries on this site, namely as part of my packing for a November trip upstate. And if you need a stylish, luxurious cashmere sweater or a new spring polo to get ready for the season ahead — ‘cuz it’s coming — do we have a deal for you. Now through February 25th, use the code ‘GENTS17’ to get 10 percent off your Johnnie-O order! Yes indeed, that goes for the classic Player’s Blazer and the shirt that I myself picked up (and featured on Instagram) — the Dustin Denim Sport Shirt.
- Need a new pair of spring footwear? Of course you do. Check out Esquire’s recent roundup of the best men’s sneakers to buy now.
- It was a real treat to write about an essential outerwear item — that’d be a waxed canvas jacket — for GearMoose. Yes indeed, check out my roundup of the best men’s waxed jackets, folks.
- Alright, because it’s Friday, let’s get down to business — The Manual teaches you how to make a Boilermaker this weekend. Cheers!
- Lastly — we’ll be back with a new Style Pick of the Week tomorrow, but keep yourself occupied for now by reading about the essential, rugged Abercrombie & Fitch Chamois Shirt.
And with that, I’m off to another show — how about yourself? If that’s the case, learn all about how to dress for your next rock concert. See you in the front row!