Dependable outdoor shoes to wear the rest of the summer — and this coming weekend, if you can swing it.
You see those rugged outdoor shoes at the top of the page? Well, they happen to be from Lems Shoes, and we’re going to be telling you more today about how these tough hiking shoes can unlock some excellent summer outdoor adventures. In the meantime, that’s what today’s Friday Read is all about — summer gear for summer adventures. I’m all about making the most of my time in Brooklyn, seeing as I’ve been fortunate enough to travel everywhere from London to Madrid in pursuit of great rock music, craft beer & coffee this year. Every time I get the chance to get away from NYC, I always appreciate it that much more when I come back. And that being said, it seems there are continual opportunities to explore and enjoy this amazing city around every corner, from delicious craft beer to stellar live music.
In fact, I took the chance on Thursday to see acclaimed indie folk guitarist Matthew Houck (AKA Phosphorescent!) play an intimate outdoor show at 99 Scott Avenue, a suitably fitting and fun space for a lovely Brooklyn evening. This is music that reminds me of years ago in college, and more specifically, about summers spent in my college town — to have that experience in Brooklyn now was pretty special, to say the least. So this weekend, I’ll be resting & relaxing, looking back on that show, working on this blog & likely enjoying a pint at the new Transmitter Brewing in Industry City. What about you? Let me know over on Twitter, and enjoy the best new menswear below in the meantime!
- Keeping tabs on the pulse of the menswear world isn’t as easy as copping the latest sneaker drops — at least, that’s what I think. And if you agree with me, you’d do well to check out my latest for The Manual, covering the recent launch of sustainable and eco-friendly Nothing New sneakers — if it’s a summer-friendly pair you happen to be searching for, this is a brand that’s got ’em (on a related note, check out another recommendation of mine on the stylish sneakers to wear to the office).
- Speaking of stylish sneakers, let’s head over to GearMoose — namely, I covered the rugged, travel-ready, go-anywhere Lems Mesa Shoes, an ultra-flexible pair of tough shoes to wear on summer hikes (with camp shorts and a rugged henley), or to your favorite brewery (with classic chore pants and a thermal shirt come fall).
- Let’s keep things going over at GearMoose, shall we? Namely, we’ve got quite the look at the best new headphones to upgrade your listening experience. As a big music fan and something of an audiophile, you can’t go wrong when you amp up (literally) your listening experience with the V-Moda Crossfade Headphones — that’s a guarantee.
OK, that’s going to tie things up with a bow for today’s edition of The Friday Read. If you’d still like to keep on catching up with the best style essentials for summer, I’ll point you toward the best new men’s chinos to throw on for the weekend (or the work week). Aside from that, you’d also do well to check out my guide on how to wear an Oxford shirt for summer. OK, that’s all I’ve got — happy shopping!
The right sneakers for your next workout or your next summer trip.
How is your summer rolling along, friends? In need of new summer sneakers? Step into the weekend with the YORK Athletics Mfg. Henry Low Sneakers as seen above. With any luck, you can wear those stylish sneakers to either A) Get a workout in or B) start to check things off your summer to-do list, from festivals to craft beer tastings & summer travel. If you’ve attended a music festival or still have one on your radar, perhaps my music festival style tips ought to do the trick (Think: Rugged and casual, not sloppy). And if you still need more of the best gear for summer, well, click right through that hyperlink.
OK, now onto business — what’s on your weekend agenda? For me, it’s a rather packed one in Brooklyn — tonight marks the second night in a row I’ll be at my favorite music venue in NYC, the famed Brooklyn Steel! The occasion? A second show in a row by my second-favorite band, Local Natives! If you recall, I trekked to Portland earlier this spring to see this excellent indie rock band play a barnburner of a show behind the new album “Violet Street,” and I even met lead singer Taylor Rice out in PDX! And, last night was the first of a two-night run showing off those same tracks in Brooklyn, and with a varied setlist and stellar live sound, it was everything I thought it would be! So, if you want to follow along with tonight’s fun, join me on Instagram. The rest of my weekend is set to include a fun craft beer tour by bike with friends in Queens — and hopefully, some rest & some work on my Instagram! Again, if you care to join me on another social media platform, it’s appreciated. Now, I’ve got some work to do before the weekend. Cheers!
With that, I’ll be closing up shop for the weekend (well, until tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week, at least). Until then, I’d urge you to shop for your perfect summer T-shirt, or else find your new favorite pair of summer shoes. That’s all I’ve got today! Cheers.
A comfortable, soft flannel that’s brushed for comfort & ready to take on fall and winter.
Ahh, yes. Another Friday, another edition of The Friday Read … and another recommendation for the best fall menswear to buy now. Specifically, the handsome, versatile Proof Heatseeker Flannel— made from brushed polyester flannel for comfort and movement — is leading us off to start the weekend. In short, the Heatseeker Flannel will go anywhere you go, from the office to happy hour, and it’ll look great doing it. Now, onto the rest of today’s entry. Have you made sure to keep up with the blog as we get you fully prepped for this season? We’re looking at Thanksgiving just a few weeks away — dressing in style for the occasion is crucial, and we’ll have more content in that regard next week on the blog via our #OOTD series. In other matters: We debuted a new look on The Style Guide this week! What do you think of it? Feel free to let me know on Twitter. And elsewhere: I’m very, VERY excited to be heading back to my home state of Michigan this weekend for my kindergarten (yep!) best friend’s bachelor party! What’s on tap? Plenty of amazing Michigan craft beer, plus college football (Go Green!) and of course, the chance to break out some of my rugged fall gear as we spend the weekend at a log cabin retreat. To keep up with all the action, you know where to go — follow me on Instagram, and then be sure to join us again tomorrow for another edition of the Style Pick of the Week. OK, I’ve got a flight to catch — thanks for reading!
- We’ve been rolling through November for a while now, which means it’s time to turn our attention toward men’s health. Believe you me, it’s not too late to get into the spirit of Movember — my friend John Jones at The Manual dives into why, exactly, it’s worthwhile for us fellas.
- The chill of winter is going to be bearing down on us in short order, which is why I rounded up the best men’s parkas for GearMoose! There’s something for every price point and every style, without a doubt.
- In the way of other other men’s style essentials you need for fall, you can add stylish leather boots to your list — such as the Rhodes Dean Boots, a handsome and low-profile pair of sleek leather boots that I again covered for GearMoose. Lace up, then hit the road.
Still want something else to read? Check out thebest henley to buy for fall. Or, busy yourself reading about the all-weather boots you need in your closet (and on your feet). Still not ready to go back to work? Check out a recent edition of the Friday Read, covering the best leather boots and the best live music venues out there. They go hand-in-hand, right? OK, that’s all for now.
Step on up and dive right in to this week’s Friday Read, packed with men’s style essentials aplenty to start your weekend off right. I’m looking forward to another early “Summer Friday,” (a perk of working in the NYC PR world!). This weekend, I’m planning on visiting the iconic Grand Central Station, enjoying some local coffee and neighborhood strolls, and checking out the lauded Brooklyn Museum! It’ll be a relaxing and enjoyable summer weekend, to say the least. I truly can’t wait. The close of this week also means that we’re one week closer to Labor Day and the end of summer — how are you prepping for early fall? Might I suggest shopping some of my favorite menswear picks to make the transition? I hope that the below menswear reads are helpful to you as you shop, pack and plan. Without any further ado, here we go! Happy reading, happy shopping & wishing you a happy weekend.
- Some guys are watch guys, and some guys just … aren’t. At least, not in the traditional sense. If you find yourself in the market for a new, tech-forward timepiece, just about the best thing you could do would be to check out my feature on the best smartwatches for 2018 over on GearMoose.
- I’ll be sharing more thoughts on the best weekender bags in the season ahead, but for now, I’d say you’d do well to check out my latest piece for The Manual covering essential, stylish gear to pack up for your next trip out of town.
- Let’s talk dependable, everyday style — with just a bit of edge thrown in, that is. The Flint and Tinder Bone Button Western Shirt keeps popping up on the site for good reason. It’s made with quality cotton in a rich indigo color, and it features a reliable fit for layering over everything from a grey slub tee to a long-sleeve thermal shirt (come early fall, that is). That’s why I’d recommend you catch up with our See Now, Buy Now series, and make the Bone Button Shirt work for you.
- OK, switching tracks a bit here — I’m a huge fan of all things live music, from festivals to small Brooklyn club shows, so I found the big news out of the music industry this week both intriguing and alarming. That is to say, Paste Magazine and other outlets have reported that musicians received only 12 percent of the music industry’s $43 billion in revenue last year. YIKES. Give the article a read, and then buy a T-shirt the next time you see your favorite local indie artist, yes?
Can’t get enough menswear before the weekend? Shop these menswear must-haves before you go. Thanks for reading!
Hey there, folks — it’s Friday! And it’s time to wrap up the work week here and jet off into the weekend (preferably dressed in casual weekend style). The start of November means a few things, at least for me personally … namely, it’s a month that’s VERY closely associated with my favorite song by my favorite band (that’d be “Mr. November” by The National). Does that stellar song top my list of things to look forward to this month? Well, of course not … but it’s a fun one nonetheless. We’ve also got Thanksgiving on the horizon, along with Black Friday shopping aplenty; you can expect a full rundown of stylish men’s gear to buy for that occasion here in the next few weeks. For now though, I’m happy to be at home in Brooklyn this weekend. My fall travels have taken me out to Portland and south to Nashville, along with a quick Northeast jaunt to Boston to see, as luck would have it … The National! But my focus is solely on the homefront this weekend. I’m planning on swinging by my favorite menswear and coffee shop, Upstate Stock, to check out plenty of finely crafted #menswear, and I’m also hoping to make my way to a local sports bar to cheer on my beloved Michigan State Spartans as the battle the Penn State Nittany Lions in a college football showdown. What’s on your weekend agenda? Before you dive in, check out the below men’s style news for your reading pleasure. Cheers!
- Want a simply designed, yet simply unbeatable, windbreaker? The GoRuck Simple Windbreaker (would ya look at that!) is the one to buy now! Read more via my latest GearMoose post, and check out my own guide on how to wear a bomber jacket for more inspo.
- Make no mistake, I’m not necessarily a hiking enthusiast, per se — but I know great outdoor gear (and rugged style essentials) when I see it on the market. Interestingly enough, Gear Patrol makes the case that you shouldn’t buy new outdoor gear … how about that? What’s your take on that?
- Now, I sure do love me a stylish men’s henley — and if you happened to catch my feature for The Manual on the best men’s henleys, you know that all too well! Get yourself one before it’s too late, my friends.
Alright, my friends … that’s all the #menswear I’ve got for ya today!
Enjoy the weekend, and check back for tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week!
The month of October seriously has flown by — can you believe it? We’ve talked a bunch about fall style essentials, from the rugged men’s gear to buy now to the best bomber jacket for fall to sporty, stylish sneakers for weekend adventures. Hopefully, it’s been helpful? You can — and should! — let me know your thoughts via The Style Guide Facebook page. In the midst of all this #menswear coverage, I’ve also been thankful to get out and about quite a bit this month, from a Northeast trip to Boston to see my favorite band (The National!), to explorations around some neat Brooklyn spots thanks to my Wildsam Field Guide. Among those stops, I can’t recommend craft beer haven The Well enough, and the super cool, eclectcic Silent Barn is a great DIY music and art gallery at which I spent an enjoyable evening recently. $8 for three bands? Not bad at all, my friends. Of course, I also had the chance to head back to Chicago this past weekend for a visit with my great friend and former State News journo Jesse O’Brien.
Now, if you follow me on Instagram, perhaps you knew all about my latest trip (wink, wink). On top of a summer weekend in Chicago and a trip to Lollapalooza 2017, it’s been great to explore such a cool city, complete with craft beer and #menswear galore. Are you heading on any fall trips soon? Be sure to dress in casual weekend style — for now, we’ll say goodbye as we head into a Brooklyn weekend. I’ve got another excellent Brooklyn Steel show on tap, this time featuring breezy Brooklyn indie rockers Beach Fossils! Follow along on Instagram for all the action, and thanks for reading!
- Every guy needs an arsenal of stylish casual watches, right? And perhaps an investment-worthy timepiece, too. And in that regard, it’s a great time to be a watch aficionado in NYC — the worn&wound Watch Fair is back in NYC starting today! The event takes over a portion of NYC’s Chelsea Market through Sunday the 29th, turning it into a haven for innovative, classic and extremely well-made watches. It focuses on smaller, more unique and more carefully made watches from brands that you might not have heard of — yet. So, head to the subway and head to Chelsea Market just as quickly as you can. You just might end up with a few ideas as to your new favorite watch.
- Let’s talk fitness, yes? Specifically, let’s talk fall fitness and this helpful list of the best men’s workout gear for fall from our friends at Esquire.com. It’s crucial to get those miles in as it gets colder (and you might also find this site’s take on the most stylish gear to wear to the gym quite helpful).
- You’re surely already familiar with the Taylor Stitch Moto Jacket — right? At least, I’d say you should be. And in that regard, I’d urge you to head over to GearMoose to check out my latest piece on this fantastic, stylish piece of fall outerwear. Oh, and in the meantime? You should certainly shop my very own list of the best men’s jackets for fall. Rock on!
- As someone deeply entrenched in — and indebted to — social media, I found this piece in The Atlantic fascinating, well-written and quite disturbing. It’s a deep dive into the impact of smartphones and social media on today’s teenagers — give it a read when you get the chance today.
I’m clocking out for a relaxing NYC weekend now, and I hope you get to do the same soon.
TGIF and congrats are in order, right? We made it — no, powered through — another week of #menswear here at The Style Guide. Have you been keeping up? I’ve enjoyed ramping up a recent new series on the blog, our ongoing See Now, Buy Now entries, which cover all sorts of men’s style essentials to see now and … buy now. Don’t forget to check out our fall style wish list, either — ’tis the season! Want to see something different on the blog in the way of content? Let me know in the comments or on Twitter and I’ll get right on it! In the meantime, it’ll be an exciting and busy Brooklyn weekeend — I’m hosting my mom, dad and sister for a weekend of stylish Brooklyn exploration!
We’ve got a Broadway show on tap, plus some stops at the New York Food and Wine Festival and likely a few pints at some of Brooklyn’s best craft beer spots (lookin’ at you, Other Half Brewing Company). Where will your weekend adventures take you? Be sure to dress in fall travel style, will ya? Have a great weekend!
- Have you caught one of the latest #OOTD write-ups here on the blog? We’re calling it out specifically today simply because it’s such a crucial — and fun — menswear move to make this season. Yes indeed, the right flannel shirt can work in casual style situations galore, from your next bonfire to a fall hike to dressing in style for a tailgate. Read the #OOTD to learn how to style the Filson Vintage Flannel Shirt, folks.
- If you, like me, often find you have trouble taking care of your keys, check out the Key Titan. I covered this everyday carry essential for GearMoose recently, and the Key Titan surely looks like it’d be an excellent way to stay organized (and y’know, avoid having to call a locksmith).
- We’ve talked a lot this season about essential fall gear, from a stylish indigo shirt jacket to a tough denim trucker jacket. You can add one more piece to your fall style wish list, though — the American Giant Mechanic’s Jacket is a heck of a well-crafted coat, and I covered it recently for The Manual. Shop away!
Alright, my friends. We’re all done for this week — unless you count tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week, or Sunday’s See Now, Buy Now entry. So, plenty more rugged menswear for fall is on the way!