A comfortable, soft flannel that’s brushed for comfort & ready to take on fall and winter.
Ahh, yes. Another Friday, another edition of The Friday Read … and another recommendation for the best fall menswear to buy now. Specifically, the handsome, versatile Proof Heatseeker Flannel— made from brushed polyester flannel for comfort and movement — is leading us off to start the weekend. In short, the Heatseeker Flannel will go anywhere you go, from the office to happy hour, and it’ll look great doing it. Now, onto the rest of today’s entry. Have you made sure to keep up with the blog as we get you fully prepped for this season? We’re looking at Thanksgiving just a few weeks away — dressing in style for the occasion is crucial, and we’ll have more content in that regard next week on the blog via our #OOTD series. In other matters: We debuted a new look on The Style Guide this week! What do you think of it? Feel free to let me know on Twitter. And elsewhere: I’m very, VERY excited to be heading back to my home state of Michigan this weekend for my kindergarten (yep!) best friend’s bachelor party! What’s on tap? Plenty of amazing Michigan craft beer, plus college football (Go Green!) and of course, the chance to break out some of my rugged fall gear as we spend the weekend at a log cabin retreat. To keep up with all the action, you know where to go — follow me on Instagram, and then be sure to join us again tomorrow for another edition of the Style Pick of the Week. OK, I’ve got a flight to catch — thanks for reading!
- We’ve been rolling through November for a while now, which means it’s time to turn our attention toward men’s health. Believe you me, it’s not too late to get into the spirit of Movember — my friend John Jones at The Manual dives into why, exactly, it’s worthwhile for us fellas.
- The chill of winter is going to be bearing down on us in short order, which is why I rounded up the best men’s parkas for GearMoose! There’s something for every price point and every style, without a doubt.
- In the way of other other men’s style essentials you need for fall, you can add stylish leather boots to your list — such as the Rhodes Dean Boots, a handsome and low-profile pair of sleek leather boots that I again covered for GearMoose. Lace up, then hit the road.
Still want something else to read? Check out thebest henley to buy for fall. Or, busy yourself reading about the all-weather boots you need in your closet (and on your feet). Still not ready to go back to work? Check out a recent edition of the Friday Read, covering the best leather boots and the best live music venues out there. They go hand-in-hand, right? OK, that’s all for now.
Step on up and dive right in to this week’s Friday Read, packed with men’s style essentials aplenty to start your weekend off right. I’m looking forward to another early “Summer Friday,” (a perk of working in the NYC PR world!). This weekend, I’m planning on visiting the iconic Grand Central Station, enjoying some local coffee and neighborhood strolls, and checking out the lauded Brooklyn Museum! It’ll be a relaxing and enjoyable summer weekend, to say the least. I truly can’t wait. The close of this week also means that we’re one week closer to Labor Day and the end of summer — how are you prepping for early fall? Might I suggest shopping some of my favorite menswear picks to make the transition? I hope that the below menswear reads are helpful to you as you shop, pack and plan. Without any further ado, here we go! Happy reading, happy shopping & wishing you a happy weekend.
- Some guys are watch guys, and some guys just … aren’t. At least, not in the traditional sense. If you find yourself in the market for a new, tech-forward timepiece, just about the best thing you could do would be to check out my feature on the best smartwatches for 2018 over on GearMoose.
- I’ll be sharing more thoughts on the best weekender bags in the season ahead, but for now, I’d say you’d do well to check out my latest piece for The Manual covering essential, stylish gear to pack up for your next trip out of town.
- Let’s talk dependable, everyday style — with just a bit of edge thrown in, that is. The Flint and Tinder Bone Button Western Shirt keeps popping up on the site for good reason. It’s made with quality cotton in a rich indigo color, and it features a reliable fit for layering over everything from a grey slub tee to a long-sleeve thermal shirt (come early fall, that is). That’s why I’d recommend you catch up with our See Now, Buy Now series, and make the Bone Button Shirt work for you.
- OK, switching tracks a bit here — I’m a huge fan of all things live music, from festivals to small Brooklyn club shows, so I found the big news out of the music industry this week both intriguing and alarming. That is to say, Paste Magazine and other outlets have reported that musicians received only 12 percent of the music industry’s $43 billion in revenue last year. YIKES. Give the article a read, and then buy a T-shirt the next time you see your favorite local indie artist, yes?
Can’t get enough menswear before the weekend? Shop these menswear must-haves before you go. Thanks for reading!
Hey there, folks — it’s Friday! And it’s time to wrap up the work week here and jet off into the weekend (preferably dressed in casual weekend style). The start of November means a few things, at least for me personally … namely, it’s a month that’s VERY closely associated with my favorite song by my favorite band (that’d be “Mr. November” by The National). Does that stellar song top my list of things to look forward to this month? Well, of course not … but it’s a fun one nonetheless. We’ve also got Thanksgiving on the horizon, along with Black Friday shopping aplenty; you can expect a full rundown of stylish men’s gear to buy for that occasion here in the next few weeks. For now though, I’m happy to be at home in Brooklyn this weekend. My fall travels have taken me out to Portland and south to Nashville, along with a quick Northeast jaunt to Boston to see, as luck would have it … The National! But my focus is solely on the homefront this weekend. I’m planning on swinging by my favorite menswear and coffee shop, Upstate Stock, to check out plenty of finely crafted #menswear, and I’m also hoping to make my way to a local sports bar to cheer on my beloved Michigan State Spartans as the battle the Penn State Nittany Lions in a college football showdown. What’s on your weekend agenda? Before you dive in, check out the below men’s style news for your reading pleasure. Cheers!
- Want a simply designed, yet simply unbeatable, windbreaker? The GoRuck Simple Windbreaker (would ya look at that!) is the one to buy now! Read more via my latest GearMoose post, and check out my own guide on how to wear a bomber jacket for more inspo.
- Make no mistake, I’m not necessarily a hiking enthusiast, per se — but I know great outdoor gear (and rugged style essentials) when I see it on the market. Interestingly enough, Gear Patrol makes the case that you shouldn’t buy new outdoor gear … how about that? What’s your take on that?
- Now, I sure do love me a stylish men’s henley — and if you happened to catch my feature for The Manual on the best men’s henleys, you know that all too well! Get yourself one before it’s too late, my friends.
Alright, my friends … that’s all the #menswear I’ve got for ya today!
Enjoy the weekend, and check back for tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week!
The month of October seriously has flown by — can you believe it? We’ve talked a bunch about fall style essentials, from the rugged men’s gear to buy now to the best bomber jacket for fall to sporty, stylish sneakers for weekend adventures. Hopefully, it’s been helpful? You can — and should! — let me know your thoughts via The Style Guide Facebook page. In the midst of all this #menswear coverage, I’ve also been thankful to get out and about quite a bit this month, from a Northeast trip to Boston to see my favorite band (The National!), to explorations around some neat Brooklyn spots thanks to my Wildsam Field Guide. Among those stops, I can’t recommend craft beer haven The Well enough, and the super cool, eclectcic Silent Barn is a great DIY music and art gallery at which I spent an enjoyable evening recently. $8 for three bands? Not bad at all, my friends. Of course, I also had the chance to head back to Chicago this past weekend for a visit with my great friend and former State News journo Jesse O’Brien.
Now, if you follow me on Instagram, perhaps you knew all about my latest trip (wink, wink). On top of a summer weekend in Chicago and a trip to Lollapalooza 2017, it’s been great to explore such a cool city, complete with craft beer and #menswear galore. Are you heading on any fall trips soon? Be sure to dress in casual weekend style — for now, we’ll say goodbye as we head into a Brooklyn weekend. I’ve got another excellent Brooklyn Steel show on tap, this time featuring breezy Brooklyn indie rockers Beach Fossils! Follow along on Instagram for all the action, and thanks for reading!
- Every guy needs an arsenal of stylish casual watches, right? And perhaps an investment-worthy timepiece, too. And in that regard, it’s a great time to be a watch aficionado in NYC — the worn&wound Watch Fair is back in NYC starting today! The event takes over a portion of NYC’s Chelsea Market through Sunday the 29th, turning it into a haven for innovative, classic and extremely well-made watches. It focuses on smaller, more unique and more carefully made watches from brands that you might not have heard of — yet. So, head to the subway and head to Chelsea Market just as quickly as you can. You just might end up with a few ideas as to your new favorite watch.
- Let’s talk fitness, yes? Specifically, let’s talk fall fitness and this helpful list of the best men’s workout gear for fall from our friends at Esquire.com. It’s crucial to get those miles in as it gets colder (and you might also find this site’s take on the most stylish gear to wear to the gym quite helpful).
- You’re surely already familiar with the Taylor Stitch Moto Jacket — right? At least, I’d say you should be. And in that regard, I’d urge you to head over to GearMoose to check out my latest piece on this fantastic, stylish piece of fall outerwear. Oh, and in the meantime? You should certainly shop my very own list of the best men’s jackets for fall. Rock on!
- As someone deeply entrenched in — and indebted to — social media, I found this piece in The Atlantic fascinating, well-written and quite disturbing. It’s a deep dive into the impact of smartphones and social media on today’s teenagers — give it a read when you get the chance today.
I’m clocking out for a relaxing NYC weekend now, and I hope you get to do the same soon.
TGIF and congrats are in order, right? We made it — no, powered through — another week of #menswear here at The Style Guide. Have you been keeping up? I’ve enjoyed ramping up a recent new series on the blog, our ongoing See Now, Buy Now entries, which cover all sorts of men’s style essentials to see now and … buy now. Don’t forget to check out our fall style wish list, either — ’tis the season! Want to see something different on the blog in the way of content? Let me know in the comments or on Twitter and I’ll get right on it! In the meantime, it’ll be an exciting and busy Brooklyn weekeend — I’m hosting my mom, dad and sister for a weekend of stylish Brooklyn exploration!
We’ve got a Broadway show on tap, plus some stops at the New York Food and Wine Festival and likely a few pints at some of Brooklyn’s best craft beer spots (lookin’ at you, Other Half Brewing Company). Where will your weekend adventures take you? Be sure to dress in fall travel style, will ya? Have a great weekend!
- Have you caught one of the latest #OOTD write-ups here on the blog? We’re calling it out specifically today simply because it’s such a crucial — and fun — menswear move to make this season. Yes indeed, the right flannel shirt can work in casual style situations galore, from your next bonfire to a fall hike to dressing in style for a tailgate. Read the #OOTD to learn how to style the Filson Vintage Flannel Shirt, folks.
- If you, like me, often find you have trouble taking care of your keys, check out the Key Titan. I covered this everyday carry essential for GearMoose recently, and the Key Titan surely looks like it’d be an excellent way to stay organized (and y’know, avoid having to call a locksmith).
- We’ve talked a lot this season about essential fall gear, from a stylish indigo shirt jacket to a tough denim trucker jacket. You can add one more piece to your fall style wish list, though — the American Giant Mechanic’s Jacket is a heck of a well-crafted coat, and I covered it recently for The Manual. Shop away!
Alright, my friends. We’re all done for this week — unless you count tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week, or Sunday’s See Now, Buy Now entry. So, plenty more rugged menswear for fall is on the way!
My friends, it’s another big Friday at The Style Guide — as seems to be the case lately. It’s been a busy fall of travel for your #menswear author and editor already, what with stylish trips to Portland and Nashville already in the books. And as luck would have it, I’m en route back from yet another #menswear and music-centric trip as we speak! Last night, I made the relatively quick hop up to Boston from NYC to see my favorite band, lauded indie rockers The National, kick off their fall U.S. tour! I took in a great, great show — nearly beyond words — and even grabbed a few craft beers at the excellent Tip Tap Room, too.
As if that wasn’t incredible enough, my trip back to Brooklyn comes just as the band arrives in New York City for an evening show at the elegant Forest Hills Stadium in Queens — where you’ll find me this evening! You can look for full details on both shows and the weekend itself in a #menswear post coming to the blog on Monday, and in the meantime, you can follow along on Instagram for up-to-the-song updates. Need something to read while you kick off your own weekend? We’ve got you covered below, and we’ve got you covered with your shopping, too. You can — and should — shop the best men’s jackets for fall, pick up stylish travel gear via the Bespoke Post Wander Box and perhaps add to your fall wardrobe with the stellar Flint and Tinder Flannel-Lined Waxed Trucker before the weekend kicks off. So, that’s taken care of — onto the reading picks below! Cheers and rock on.
- An easy-to-wear, easy-to-layer, rugged shirt jacket is a fall style essential — pair it with a slim striped henley and tan chinos, plus leather boots … or take it to the next level and slide it on underneath a field jacket. Those are just two of my suggestions, though — if it’s a stylish shirt jacket you seek, you’d best get started with my picks for the best men’s shirt jackets from GearMoose.
- I love the work being done on the sneaker front by CLAE — if you followed along with my fall trip to Nashville, you know that I brought the Gregory Mid with me, and you know that the brand blends the sporty and the classic with comfortable technology. Such is the case with the High and Lows x CLAE launch — the brand teamed with the lauded international retailer on a cool Chelsea boot revamp known as the Richards Zip Vibram Boot. Available in two color options, we’re talking water-resistant, sporty style and details like a heavy-duty pull tab for extra durability. Not a bad job at all by CLAE! (And to see how I style the rest of my sneaker collection — from CLAE and beyond — head to my Instagram).
Lastly, you can head back here tomorrow to check out the latest Style Pick of the Week — and on Sunday, we’ll get into an all-new See Now, Buy Now entry covering more rugged menswear for fall. It’ll be great, folks!
Thanks for reading,
Let’s turn the page on another week and hop right into the weekend here on The Style Guide. With another Friday Read comes another step closer toward fall. From football tailgates to breaking in new Chelsea boots all the way through to knocking back a rich IPA or an Oktoberfest beer at your local haunt, it’s a great time to prep for the season with perfectly rugged fall style. We’ve been talking a lot about those themes on the blog, from a new way to wear your denim jacket to the best men’s boots for fall, too.
If all of that #menswear doesn’t get you excited, I’m not sure what will! I know I’m excited to break out some new seasonal favorites — you can follow me on Instagram for more there. And in the meantime, you might want to tag along this coming weekend; I’ll be hitting the road in style once again, this time on a West Coast trip to lovely Portland! It’s coming on the heels of a big fall event at my day job, so the trip is perfectly timed for a little rest, relaxation, craft beer, fall menswear and of course, some live music. Who exactly is on the docket? Why, passionate, energetic and plain fun synth pop band Future Islands! Give their new album, “The Far Field,” a spin as you relax with your weekend coffee and a few prime pieces of men’s style news — which, as always, you can find below!
- As we talked about earlier, it’s the perfect season for a great pair of stylish leather boots — right? Right. And my picks for The Manual covering the best leather boots for men might just take the cake. At least, that’s what I think! Read up now, folks.
- Fancy getting out of the city on a hike? I know I could use a getaway every now and then — and if you’re more outdoors-minded than this city dweller, one of the best pairs of men’s hiking pants, as written about by yours truly, could very well be of interest. Get out there and get to it!
Alright, we’re keeping it short and sweet today — although if I had to make one last recommendation, it’d be to read this neat Esquire rundown of why you need a denim shirt in your fall men’s style rotation. Get it? Got it? Good.
Happy Friday and enjoy the weekend!