Step into the weekend the right way — with these tough leather boots.
Are you laced up and ready to head into the weekend? I know I am — and if I had my way, I’d be wearing some of the best men’s leather boots as shown above: The Nick’s Boots MP-M1 Boots. They’re a perfectly rugged pair of leather boots to wear all weekend (and in my humble opinion, they’d do very well when worn to a favorite brewery or craft beer bar). If you end up picking up those stylish leather boots, let me know. In the meantime, we’re rolling into a busy February with today’s Friday Read. It was another edition of New York Fashion Week: Men’s here in the city this week, which led to quite the juggling act for me — hopping from my agency day job to runway shows by menswear luminaries like Todd Snyder, who showed a perfectly refined, throwback-inspired collection of beautifully tailored outerwear and trousers. It helps that he also served delicious craft beer from Brooklyn’s Threes Brewing at said runway show earlier this week!
The fun didn’t stop there, though — I found time to fit in another one of my passions, that passion being great live music. I swung through the recently revamped Webster Hall (a legendary venue in its own right) to see California rockers Cold War Kids, a personal favorite. I had previously seen them in Brooklyn (in 2018) and Nashville (back in 2017), and they always put on a blistering set. Standbys like “Hospital Beds” and “First” amped up the night, as did my favorite song by the So Cal rockers — the hard-charging, inspiring “Miracle Mile.” Tracks off the band’s most recent album, “New Age Norms 1,” featuring more soulful numbers and gospel-esque production, fit in surprisingly well throughout the night, too. All told, when you blend a night of great rock music with, say, a couple cans of cold PBR, it doesn’t get much better. That being said, I’m looking forward to a relaxing weekend in the borough, powered by plenty of coffee and some of my favorite vinyl records spinning. Check out our Friday Read below, then come by tomorrow for the Style Pick of the Week. Cheers!
- I mentioned above that we’d be talking about your new favorite sneakers — and indeed, that time has come. Nike recently released an upgraded take on its classic Air Force 1 silhouette, and the result is a pair of streamlined sneakers made with GORE-TEX for added winter durability. Read my latest at GearMoose for the full scoop. Wear them now with your favorite pair of jeans.
- Bear with me for just a moment here — there’s truly no reason you can’t wear your favorite summer watch in the winter. How does that work out? Well, I’m giving you the full rundown in my latest for The Manual (Hint: It’s all about texture and rugged style).
- Give the gift of rock n’roll this Valentine’s Day (or any time at all, really) with the latest from Happy Socks — the Happy Socks x Linda & Johnny Ramone Collection harnesses everything that’s cool about rock n’roll in one effective collection of stylish socks, and it celebrates their iconic relationship at the same time. You’re turning up the volume on your style quickly here.
- Let’s talk quickly about the best men’s grooming essentials, shall we? For the weekend and your work day, it’s *essential* you take care of business efficiently and effectively — and the Art of Sport Hustle Harder Kit (as covered by yours truly at GearMoose), makes it easy to get great grooming done in one handy package.
Before we officially head into the weekend, stick around to shop some of my favorite new menswear deals — everything from a slick leather moto jacket to a rugged flannel shirt is in the mix, as it should be this season. Have questions on what else you should be shopping or wearing? Let me know on Twitter. Enjoy the weekend!
A legendary leather jacket you’re going to want to pre-fund ASAP.
How are you getting ready for fall and winter? Hopefully, with a stylish leather jacket as essential and iconic as the incredible Taylor Stitch Moto Jacket seen above — it’s available now for pre-funding via Taylor Stitch, everyone’s favorite menswear brand. And did I mention it’s one of the best leather jackets this menswear writer has seen in some time? This latest release is no different, and it could just be your new favorite leather jacket … easily, at that. So, that’s setting the stage style-wise for a great fall weekend. What’s on your agenda? For this menswear and craft beer writer, I’m looking forward to closing out a busy week the right way. For one, I returned from lovely Asheville, North Carolina on Monday, where I spent the weekend in the rolling mountains of western North Carolina for my good friend and former college journalism colleague Dillon Davis’ wedding! For the wedding and the weekend, I made good use of my Taylor Stitch Telegraph Jacket, and for exploring Asheville, I wore some classic leather boots (Clarks Originals Wallabee Boots, to be exact), while also checking out prime craft beer spots like the Belgian ale mecca that is Thirsty Monk. If you saw all the fun on my Instagram, you know that Asheville has a wealth of craft beer riches and beautiful scenery.
So, that was last weekend. And this week has been plenty eventful, including a string of incredible indie rock shows at my favorite venue on the planet, Brooklyn Steel! Namely, Tuesday night saw a triumphant return to the stage by ethereal British indie rockers Bombay Bicycle Club (an old college favorite!), while Wednesday saw yet another excellent Brooklyn Steel show by indie rock luminaries Big Thief (more on them in a moment!). There’s nothing I love more than a transcendent rock show, and there’s no better way to enjoy a night out in Brooklyn, in my opinion. Add in the fact that the newly opened 18th Ward Brewing is right by Brooklyn Steel to upgrade your craft beer experience, and you’ve got the makings of a perfect night. But I digress — it’s time to dive into today’s Friday Read to get the weekend started. Cheers!
- Finding the right blazer to wear for travel — the type of stylish blazer you can wear both on and off the plane or train or automobile — is tricky. Not so anymore thanks to the Tact & Stone Traveler Blazer, a wildly comfortable and polished blazer made in travel-ready fabric. Wear it over a merino T-shirt with slim faded jeans and classic chukka boots for style that’s easygoing yet sharp, no matter where you go — and of course, learn more via my latest GearMoose briefing in the meantime.
- Durable layers are a must for a fall weekend, especially if you want to gear up with your favorite henley or your new favorite pants for fall — and in that regard, the Proof Reversible Shirt Jacket seems to check all the right boxes. Helpfully, I covered that crucial piece for GearMoose. Happy layering!
- I mentioned my new favorite indie rock band, Big Thief, above; given that they’re releasing their SECOND album this year on today of all days, it seems fitting to recommend this driving indie rock track, “Forgotten Eyes,” off that second album. Two incredible albums in one year is more than we could ever ask for — enjoy!
So, we’ve covered indie rock, we’ve covered craft beer, we’ve covered essential fall layers … I’ll leave you with one last briefing covering the durable pants you need to buy for fall. If you read the blog, you’ll recognize these as some of the best pants for the season. That being said, it simply doesn’t get much better than the Proof Rover Pants, especially if you’ve got a busy weekend of tailgates or brewery visits on the horizon — I’ll see you at the next IPA tasting. Again, cheers and thanks for reading!
You’ll be the talk of the town if you pick up this shirt in advance of the weekend.
There’s no question about it, the best flannel shirt for fall — and particularly for an early fall weekend — has got to be the rugged, purely essential Taylor Stitch Yosemite Shirt. It’s your new favorite shirt, it doubles as a rugged overshirt, and you can style it plenty of different ways. In short, just know that this is the best men’s shirt for a fall weekend … like this one that’s on the horizon right now! I always love my fall weekends in Brooklyn, from the idllyic confines of Prospect Park to enjoying a rich IPA or crisp Oktoberfest at choice Brooklyn haunts like Gold Star Beer Counter. I’m still waiting on the weather to shift to slightly colder temperatures, but when it does, Taylor Stitch is what I’ll be wearing as I enjoy my favorite beers.
And on tap for me this weekend elsewhere? Some Michigan State football, to be sure, plus preparing plenty of fall style content for the blog and of course, my Instagram. It’s always nice to be able to take some time to relax after travel, too. Again, if you follow me on Instagram, you perhaps saw that I was in Denver last weekend to see my favorite band, indie rock heroes The National! The city is an exceptional one, blending a love of the outdoors with stunning beauty and a host of quirky, cool spots, like My Brother’s Bar (the oldest bar in Denver!) and pioneering Denver brewery Great Divide Brewing. Elsewhere, I also enjoyed a highly affordable and seriously tasty breakfast at Sam’s No. 3 on Sunday to close out my trip, and I also visited the minimal and modern menswear shop Steadbrook — and of course, CREMA provided crucial refreshment & energy throughout. Speaking of great gear, it was also a treat to check out the menswear & gear market expo American Field on Sunday! It’s a yearly traveling showcase highlighting American-made brands (like Topo Designs, a personal favorite!), complete with plenty of craft beer and coffee to test out from local markets (Denver, in this case!). AF heads to Brooklyn this November, too. Not bad at all. Have you been to Denver? What’s next on your radar in terms of trips? Oh, and I almost forgot — let’s get to the Friday Read below!
- As we shift our attention toward fall and style that’s ever-so-slightly rugged, it would behoove you to reach for a rugged leather watch that can stand up to the rich textures and fabrics of your fall style essentials. To wit: I covered the Dango TK-01 Trek Watch, a heck of a tough leather watch to bring you into the best season for menswear. Check it out at GearMoose.
- Speaking of fall essentials, one could argue that the best new whiskey is a fine fall essential to have on hand — and in that regard, it was a pleasure to dive right in and cover the 1792 Aged Twelve Years Bourbon for GearMoose. It’s a pleasing fall sipper that’ll warm you up on many a chilly fall or winter night.
- And let’s close things out today with more essential, seasonal gear from Taylor Stitch — namely, the rugged Taylor Stitch Camp Pants are exactly what the doctor ordered if you’ve got to go off-trail, get upstate or simply suit up in rugged fashion for a chilly tailgate. Don’t sleep on these, folks!
OK, my friends — we’ve called out this handy, seasonal #OOTD in the past, but it’s worth calling attention to again. Wondering how to dress for early fall? Of course you are — that #OOTD as mentioned above can help, guaranteed. Alright, that’s a wrap on the start of this early fall weekend — cheers!
Dependable outdoor shoes to wear the rest of the summer — and this coming weekend, if you can swing it.
You see those rugged outdoor shoes at the top of the page? Well, they happen to be from Lems Shoes, and we’re going to be telling you more today about how these tough hiking shoes can unlock some excellent summer outdoor adventures. In the meantime, that’s what today’s Friday Read is all about — summer gear for summer adventures. I’m all about making the most of my time in Brooklyn, seeing as I’ve been fortunate enough to travel everywhere from London to Madrid in pursuit of great rock music, craft beer & coffee this year. Every time I get the chance to get away from NYC, I always appreciate it that much more when I come back. And that being said, it seems there are continual opportunities to explore and enjoy this amazing city around every corner, from delicious craft beer to stellar live music.
In fact, I took the chance on Thursday to see acclaimed indie folk guitarist Matthew Houck (AKA Phosphorescent!) play an intimate outdoor show at 99 Scott Avenue, a suitably fitting and fun space for a lovely Brooklyn evening. This is music that reminds me of years ago in college, and more specifically, about summers spent in my college town — to have that experience in Brooklyn now was pretty special, to say the least. So this weekend, I’ll be resting & relaxing, looking back on that show, working on this blog & likely enjoying a pint at the new Transmitter Brewing in Industry City. What about you? Let me know over on Twitter, and enjoy the best new menswear below in the meantime!
- Keeping tabs on the pulse of the menswear world isn’t as easy as copping the latest sneaker drops — at least, that’s what I think. And if you agree with me, you’d do well to check out my latest for The Manual, covering the recent launch of sustainable and eco-friendly Nothing New sneakers — if it’s a summer-friendly pair you happen to be searching for, this is a brand that’s got ’em (on a related note, check out another recommendation of mine on the stylish sneakers to wear to the office).
- Speaking of stylish sneakers, let’s head over to GearMoose — namely, I covered the rugged, travel-ready, go-anywhere Lems Mesa Shoes, an ultra-flexible pair of tough shoes to wear on summer hikes (with camp shorts and a rugged henley), or to your favorite brewery (with classic chore pants and a thermal shirt come fall).
- Let’s keep things going over at GearMoose, shall we? Namely, we’ve got quite the look at the best new headphones to upgrade your listening experience. As a big music fan and something of an audiophile, you can’t go wrong when you amp up (literally) your listening experience with the V-Moda Crossfade Headphones — that’s a guarantee.
OK, that’s going to tie things up with a bow for today’s edition of The Friday Read. If you’d still like to keep on catching up with the best style essentials for summer, I’ll point you toward the best new men’s chinos to throw on for the weekend (or the work week). Aside from that, you’d also do well to check out my guide on how to wear an Oxford shirt for summer. OK, that’s all I’ve got — happy shopping!
The right sneakers for your next workout or your next summer trip.
How is your summer rolling along, friends? In need of new summer sneakers? Step into the weekend with the YORK Athletics Mfg. Henry Low Sneakers as seen above. With any luck, you can wear those stylish sneakers to either A) Get a workout in or B) start to check things off your summer to-do list, from festivals to craft beer tastings & summer travel. If you’ve attended a music festival or still have one on your radar, perhaps my music festival style tips ought to do the trick (Think: Rugged and casual, not sloppy). And if you still need more of the best gear for summer, well, click right through that hyperlink.
OK, now onto business — what’s on your weekend agenda? For me, it’s a rather packed one in Brooklyn — tonight marks the second night in a row I’ll be at my favorite music venue in NYC, the famed Brooklyn Steel! The occasion? A second show in a row by my second-favorite band, Local Natives! If you recall, I trekked to Portland earlier this spring to see this excellent indie rock band play a barnburner of a show behind the new album “Violet Street,” and I even met lead singer Taylor Rice out in PDX! And, last night was the first of a two-night run showing off those same tracks in Brooklyn, and with a varied setlist and stellar live sound, it was everything I thought it would be! So, if you want to follow along with tonight’s fun, join me on Instagram. The rest of my weekend is set to include a fun craft beer tour by bike with friends in Queens — and hopefully, some rest & some work on my Instagram! Again, if you care to join me on another social media platform, it’s appreciated. Now, I’ve got some work to do before the weekend. Cheers!
With that, I’ll be closing up shop for the weekend (well, until tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week, at least). Until then, I’d urge you to shop for your perfect summer T-shirt, or else find your new favorite pair of summer shoes. That’s all I’ve got today! Cheers.
A comfortable, soft flannel that’s brushed for comfort & ready to take on fall and winter.
Ahh, yes. Another Friday, another edition of The Friday Read … and another recommendation for the best fall menswear to buy now. Specifically, the handsome, versatile Proof Heatseeker Flannel— made from brushed polyester flannel for comfort and movement — is leading us off to start the weekend. In short, the Heatseeker Flannel will go anywhere you go, from the office to happy hour, and it’ll look great doing it. Now, onto the rest of today’s entry. Have you made sure to keep up with the blog as we get you fully prepped for this season? We’re looking at Thanksgiving just a few weeks away — dressing in style for the occasion is crucial, and we’ll have more content in that regard next week on the blog via our #OOTD series. In other matters: We debuted a new look on The Style Guide this week! What do you think of it? Feel free to let me know on Twitter. And elsewhere: I’m very, VERY excited to be heading back to my home state of Michigan this weekend for my kindergarten (yep!) best friend’s bachelor party! What’s on tap? Plenty of amazing Michigan craft beer, plus college football (Go Green!) and of course, the chance to break out some of my rugged fall gear as we spend the weekend at a log cabin retreat. To keep up with all the action, you know where to go — follow me on Instagram, and then be sure to join us again tomorrow for another edition of the Style Pick of the Week. OK, I’ve got a flight to catch — thanks for reading!
- We’ve been rolling through November for a while now, which means it’s time to turn our attention toward men’s health. Believe you me, it’s not too late to get into the spirit of Movember — my friend John Jones at The Manual dives into why, exactly, it’s worthwhile for us fellas.
- The chill of winter is going to be bearing down on us in short order, which is why I rounded up the best men’s parkas for GearMoose! There’s something for every price point and every style, without a doubt.
- In the way of other other men’s style essentials you need for fall, you can add stylish leather boots to your list — such as the Rhodes Dean Boots, a handsome and low-profile pair of sleek leather boots that I again covered for GearMoose. Lace up, then hit the road.
Still want something else to read? Check out thebest henley to buy for fall. Or, busy yourself reading about the all-weather boots you need in your closet (and on your feet). Still not ready to go back to work? Check out a recent edition of the Friday Read, covering the best leather boots and the best live music venues out there. They go hand-in-hand, right? OK, that’s all for now.
Step on up and dive right in to this week’s Friday Read, packed with men’s style essentials aplenty to start your weekend off right. I’m looking forward to another early “Summer Friday,” (a perk of working in the NYC PR world!). This weekend, I’m planning on visiting the iconic Grand Central Station, enjoying some local coffee and neighborhood strolls, and checking out the lauded Brooklyn Museum! It’ll be a relaxing and enjoyable summer weekend, to say the least. I truly can’t wait. The close of this week also means that we’re one week closer to Labor Day and the end of summer — how are you prepping for early fall? Might I suggest shopping some of my favorite menswear picks to make the transition? I hope that the below menswear reads are helpful to you as you shop, pack and plan. Without any further ado, here we go! Happy reading, happy shopping & wishing you a happy weekend.
- Some guys are watch guys, and some guys just … aren’t. At least, not in the traditional sense. If you find yourself in the market for a new, tech-forward timepiece, just about the best thing you could do would be to check out my feature on the best smartwatches for 2018 over on GearMoose.
- I’ll be sharing more thoughts on the best weekender bags in the season ahead, but for now, I’d say you’d do well to check out my latest piece for The Manual covering essential, stylish gear to pack up for your next trip out of town.
- Let’s talk dependable, everyday style — with just a bit of edge thrown in, that is. The Flint and Tinder Bone Button Western Shirt keeps popping up on the site for good reason. It’s made with quality cotton in a rich indigo color, and it features a reliable fit for layering over everything from a grey slub tee to a long-sleeve thermal shirt (come early fall, that is). That’s why I’d recommend you catch up with our See Now, Buy Now series, and make the Bone Button Shirt work for you.
- OK, switching tracks a bit here — I’m a huge fan of all things live music, from festivals to small Brooklyn club shows, so I found the big news out of the music industry this week both intriguing and alarming. That is to say, Paste Magazine and other outlets have reported that musicians received only 12 percent of the music industry’s $43 billion in revenue last year. YIKES. Give the article a read, and then buy a T-shirt the next time you see your favorite local indie artist, yes?
Can’t get enough menswear before the weekend? Shop these menswear must-haves before you go. Thanks for reading!