We’ve powered through the week and we’re staring down the weekend — that’s a heck of a good feeling, right? We kept busy at The Style Guide this week, serving you up an #OOTD that covers how to wear a crewneck sweater this winter (in a way that even works at the office, if you can believe it!). We also went behind the scenes on my latest men’s style road trip, this time to Florida for a birthday weekend at Disney World — a truly great time was had by all, to say the least! We stopped at countries “around the world” at Epcot, we checked out the wonders of Animal Kingdom and we even spent a jam-packed day at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter — not bad at all, right? I’m now looking forward to a laidback weekend, likely featuring some craft beers at Gold Star Beer Counter, plus some time spent in Prospect Park (and a likely trip to my favorite coffee-and-menswear spot in the city, Upstate Stock). Before we get to that, we’re rounding a day in the office — and helping you do the same — with some choice links for your perusal (and potential listening pleasure). Sound like a plan? Without further ado, let’s get this going.
- Esquire.com will kick off this edition of the Friday Read for us, namely the lauded (if struggling) retailer’s take on new dress shirts — stock up, maybe? Or maybe not?
- On a music-related note, this past week was a pretty big one for my favorite band, Ohio-born indie rockers The National — these well-dressed gentlemen took home the Grammy for Best Alternative Album! “Sleep Well Beast” was one of my favorite albums of this past year, and I think it’s a well-deserved accolade. Read more with the band’s Aaron Dessner at the link above.
- I absolutely love me a great pair of shoes — especially retro-inspired high-tops like the Converse Chuck 70 Wordmark, which I wrote about for GearMoose. Step into ’em, lace up and get ready to step out in style!
- I don’t know about you, but I found this Esquire.com piece on WeWork — the global “shared-space nerve center,” as Esquire says — to be quite fascinating. What say you?
That’s going to close out this week’s Friday Read — until the next one (and until tomorrow’s Style Pick — enjoy your weekend!)
The month of October seriously has flown by — can you believe it? We’ve talked a bunch about fall style essentials, from the rugged men’s gear to buy now to the best bomber jacket for fall to sporty, stylish sneakers for weekend adventures. Hopefully, it’s been helpful? You can — and should! — let me know your thoughts via The Style Guide Facebook page. In the midst of all this #menswear coverage, I’ve also been thankful to get out and about quite a bit this month, from a Northeast trip to Boston to see my favorite band (The National!), to explorations around some neat Brooklyn spots thanks to my Wildsam Field Guide. Among those stops, I can’t recommend craft beer haven The Well enough, and the super cool, eclectcic Silent Barn is a great DIY music and art gallery at which I spent an enjoyable evening recently. $8 for three bands? Not bad at all, my friends. Of course, I also had the chance to head back to Chicago this past weekend for a visit with my great friend and former State News journo Jesse O’Brien.
Now, if you follow me on Instagram, perhaps you knew all about my latest trip (wink, wink). On top of a summer weekend in Chicago and a trip to Lollapalooza 2017, it’s been great to explore such a cool city, complete with craft beer and #menswear galore. Are you heading on any fall trips soon? Be sure to dress in casual weekend style — for now, we’ll say goodbye as we head into a Brooklyn weekend. I’ve got another excellent Brooklyn Steel show on tap, this time featuring breezy Brooklyn indie rockers Beach Fossils! Follow along on Instagram for all the action, and thanks for reading!
- Every guy needs an arsenal of stylish casual watches, right? And perhaps an investment-worthy timepiece, too. And in that regard, it’s a great time to be a watch aficionado in NYC — the worn&wound Watch Fair is back in NYC starting today! The event takes over a portion of NYC’s Chelsea Market through Sunday the 29th, turning it into a haven for innovative, classic and extremely well-made watches. It focuses on smaller, more unique and more carefully made watches from brands that you might not have heard of — yet. So, head to the subway and head to Chelsea Market just as quickly as you can. You just might end up with a few ideas as to your new favorite watch.
- Let’s talk fitness, yes? Specifically, let’s talk fall fitness and this helpful list of the best men’s workout gear for fall from our friends at Esquire.com. It’s crucial to get those miles in as it gets colder (and you might also find this site’s take on the most stylish gear to wear to the gym quite helpful).
- You’re surely already familiar with the Taylor Stitch Moto Jacket — right? At least, I’d say you should be. And in that regard, I’d urge you to head over to GearMoose to check out my latest piece on this fantastic, stylish piece of fall outerwear. Oh, and in the meantime? You should certainly shop my very own list of the best men’s jackets for fall. Rock on!
- As someone deeply entrenched in — and indebted to — social media, I found this piece in The Atlantic fascinating, well-written and quite disturbing. It’s a deep dive into the impact of smartphones and social media on today’s teenagers — give it a read when you get the chance today.
I’m clocking out for a relaxing NYC weekend now, and I hope you get to do the same soon.
OK, Style Guide readers — how was everyone’s Fourth of July? Productive? Relaxing? Ideally filled with quite a few of the best summer beers? I sure hope that was the case. I spent mine relaxing in Brooklyn, hitting up some of favorite coffee and craft beer spots, and putting in some light work on The Style Guide (hey, gotta hustle). At any rate, it’s been a quick, shortened week, what with the holiday falling on a Tuesday. But lest you think nothing’s gone down lately in the #menswear world … think again.
We’ve got plenty of ground to cover before we roll into the weekend. If summer shopping remains a priority for you, I’d urge you (strongly!) to look for affordable men’s style essentials and pick up one of the best men’s polos to buy now. I’d also urge you to pair said polo with some stylish shorts for the season — two foolproof moves that work for your next summer BBQ, your next beach trip or a casual stroll in your favorite park. Before you spend all your budget in one place, though … take a look at a few prime men’s style news items below, will ya? And with that, it’s nearly time to kick back for Friday happy hour — isn’t it? Follow along with me through the weekend on Instagram, and thanks for reading!
- Among other #menswear writing pursuits, I’ve been doing some work for The Menlo House, the blogging arm of personalized style service and E-commerce shop FiveFour Club. As with so many men’s fashion matters, the devil is in the details — so my latest post covers how to upgrade your everyday carry in style. It’s as easy as that!
- Looking for a minimal, sharply designed pair of shorts that function in more situations than you can count? That’s what SPUDS is aiming to produce — the brand says that its shorts (launching on Kickstarter on July 11th!) are meant to “redefine men’s activewear,” what with a blend of performance fabric and easily wearable colors. Learn more here, and look out for that launch next week.
- While we’re on the subject of upgrading your everyday carry, I reckon that myself and the GearMoose team might have found the stylish wallet to buy now. It’s the Hitch & Timber Flat Jacket Wallet, and it’s a handcrafted, rugged beauty of a piece. Go get that wallet now!
- In other everyday style tips, Esquire.com has a simple — yet quite important — missive for you to follow. Namely, the site’s fine style team wants you to, quite simply, stop buttoning the bottom button of your suit jacket. That’s it! That’s all!
- Let’s close this week out with some stellar new music — agreed? If you haven’t caught on by now, Brooklyn-bred indie rock heroes The National are masters at crafting subtle, simple and yet detailed and complex songs. The band’s latest release, “Guilty Party,” is a multi-layered, multi-faceted song about love and loss — in short, it’s beautiful and it’s been on repeat here at The Style Guide HQ. Listen away!
Those quick-hit menswear and music items will wrap up today’s Friday Read. I think we’re on track for a great weekend, yes? Let me know on Twitter if you’ll be doing any shopping for summer style essentials, or if you’ve got any style-minded questions. With all that being said, I’ve got a happy hour to look forward to later — cheers and enjoy the weekend!
Ladies and gentlemen, gather round — it’s time for another edition of The Friday Read here on The Style Guide. As we power through April, there are some exciting things on the horizon this spring in NYC. Namely, I’m excited to help host two great work events — both related to #menswear, naturally — in the next two weeks on behalf of Coyne Agency. The work never stops! And yet, we’re churning out plenty of great style-related content here on the blog and via GearMoose and The Manual. Need transitional footwear for spring? I’ve got you covered. Wondering how to dress for a spring road trip? Consider it taken care of. On other fronts, there’s plenty going on, as well — what have you been listening to, namely? The NYC music scene always seems to present new and exciting opportunities and shows around every corner — on that front, you can look for news of an exciting music-related writing venture on the way from yours truly in the coming weeks! In the meantime, start your weekend early with the best men’s style news of the week — and follow along for my weekend adventures over on Instagram and Twitter, 24/7.
The mission of Mission Belt — quite literally — revolves around giving back to those in need through micro-loans that help them pursue their dreams.
- Want a belt that’s more than just a belt? Seriously, you won’t be disappointed with Mission Belt. Crucially, the company makes sleek, essential belts with no holes — just an easy-to-slide adjustable track on the interior of the belt. Add in a range of clean and classic color options and belt combos, and you’re all set — but that’s far from it. The company puts part of each sale toward providing micro-loans for those in need across the world — these loans can go a long way, and often launch small business (such as the story of Mission Belt friend Luis Melendez, who turned an old bus into a mini transportation fleet and a growing business with the help of the company). Still not sold? The company’s belts are affordable, well-made and able to slide on and off easily — that’s the case if you pair ’em with everything from slim light wash denim to olive cargo pants.
- Need a new pair of stylish spring sneakers in your rotation? Of course you do. And luckily for all of us, Esquire.com recently rounded up the best new spring sneakers. Among that list, the GREATS Royale and Wooster Sand and Perf Pack are particularly sharp and spring-ready. Wear ’em with a white polo and slim light wash denim for spring weekends …. starting right now.
- So, you need new, stylish swim trunks for summer — right? Well, I’ve got you covered. It was a pleasure and an honor to speak once again with Mr. Todd Snyder for The Manual about the classic, essential Todd Snyder x Birdwell Beach Britches collaboration, featuring retro-inspired swim trunks, a beach towel and even a T-shirt; the fact that it’s all inspired by designs found in the Birdwell archives — and current rotation — is very agreeable and stylish indeed.
One last item before you go…
- A useful, cleanly designed and well-made pen is among perhaps the more underrated everyday carry essentials for us stylish guys and gals — might I recommend the Inventery Mechanical Pen for all your daily writing needs? It’s among my latest offerings for GearMoose. Enjoy!
Alright — that’s all she wrote today. Let’s get onto the weekend! You can still expect another Style Pick of the Week tomorrow, and I think you’ll quite like it — just my opinion.
Thanks for reading!
Thanks for joining us again for another Friday Read here at The Style Guide. It’s pretty wild to be closing out the last week of March and moving into April. The past month was certainly a busy, busy one, what with my Florida spring break trip and my latest #menswear road trip to Pittsburgh to see Local Natives, among plenty of Brooklyn style adventures. If you’ve been on the road, or find yourself prepping for a spring break trip of your own, shop my suggestion on how to dress for spring break this year. For now though, we’ve got plenty of other seasonal style essentials to cover. For one, did you pick up a stylish spring jacket yet? A recent shopping post on this site covers pieces that are functional and great-looking (of course). And if you need tips on what to look for when buying a leather jacket, there’s an #OOTD entry I think you’ll find helpful and highly stylish.
Elsewhere in style (and trip) planning matters, it was with tons of excitement that I picked up tickets this past week to see none other than The Killers at the excellent Radio 104.5 Birthday Celebration in June! Of course, that show will follow on the heels of Governors Ball here in New York City — are you heading to any spring or summer music festivals? Let me know on Twitter — and shop my picks for how to dress for a music festival in the meantime. And that reminds me … we’ve got a nice mix of music and men’s style in the below reading picks. So, read on, enjoy the weekend and keep up with my real-time men’s style updates via Instagram.
My spring style pick — and available for a nice deal this weekend, too. Photo courtesy of SeaVees.
- Not feeling in the mood for April Fool’s jokes, but feeling in the mood for some menswear? If that’s the case, the fine folks at SeaVees have a deal for you. On Saturday only (that’s April 1st — AKA April Fool’s), you can get 20 percent off all footwear — including the brand’s new Spring 2017 collection — using the code ‘NOFOOL’ … I’m not even kidding here, folks. My personal favorite pick? The SeaVees Legend Regatta, as featured above and as worn by yours truly on my recent Florida spring break trip . They’ll work with slim chinos, they’ll work with light wash denim and they could just be your new favorite spring sneaker!
- So, we told you we’d have some music included in this post — right? Well, if there’s been one artist I’ve been listening to on repeat these past few weeks, it has to be the mercurially talented Maggie Rogers. The Maryland native seamlessly blends indie folk, jazz and R&B influences, with a touch of dance pop thrown in. It’s music that’s subtle, nuanced, well-written and beautifully sung — you might want to check on Maggie Rogers tour dates if you like what you hear! Tickets are literally selling out quicker than you can say “viral sensation,” so hop to it!
- Now, back to menswear — I certainly have my own picks when it comes to classic men’s spring sneakers, and Esquire.com is also here with a helpful rundown on the best white sneakers to buy for spring. Buy ’em now, wear ’em a ton and look forward to warm weather.
- In other matters of men’s style, spring travel season — AKA spring break — is upon us, as mentioned earlier. Crucially, the Bradley Mountain Utility Bag is the one bag you need to buy and use for your next road trip. Let me know if you’ve picked it up via the comments below!
- Last but not least … I rounded up 25 (25!) durable men’s work boots for GearMoose, featuring brands from Danner to Wolverine. Before you tackle your next spring project, grab a pair and get to it.
OK, so that’s this week’s Friday Read — have a great weekend and check back here tomorrow for a spring-friendly Style Pick of the Week.
As I look back on this week, I’m struck by how quickly it went by — and by how I tired I am! It shouldn’t come as a shock, though — last weekend took me on the road to Pittsburgh to see Local Natives, a stellar show and a great trip to boot. As I’ve said before, it’s always a treat to be able to travel, to see great live shows and to bring along my favorite #menswear. I’m not sure when I’ll be back on the road again — this past month already took me to New Haven to see Young the Giant — but I hope it’s soon. And until then, you can follow along on Instagram and Twitter. Of course, I won’t be going long without checking out some neat live music — I’m excited to attend my first Sofar Sounds show tomorrow! The company holds intimate, acoustic performances across NYC (and the globe), always held at a secret location and available only to a select set of approved registrants. Needless to say, I’m quite excited! However, we’ve got some menswear news to get to in the meantime, from transitional spring footwear to essential lifestyle gear. Given that we’re now past the first day of spring, I hope you’ve taken care of everything on your spring style wish list. You’ve done that, right? If not, let’s at least get a jumpstart on the weekend while we can — read on and stay stylish!
All of the essentials you didn’t know you needed — and a few fun add-ons, too.
- Without further ado — are you looking to kickstart your lifestyle from A-to-Z? That is, from style upgrades to better nutrition and better workouts? There really is one place you can get all of this — and it’s the Men’s Health Box. Curated by the expert lifestyle purveyors at — you guessed it — Men’s Health, each box offers up everything from workout gear to menswear accessories to tech products and snacks geared toward your workout routine and an improved life in general. I can’t recommend it highly enough, and that’s why you should definitely sign up. Seriously, you get four boxes a year for $89.99, and the value of these boxes is more than $150 — so, a great deal. Oh, and you can get 20% off your first Men’s Health Box by using the offer code MHBOXMVP20. As you can see from the shot above, they really are packed with excellent, everyday essentials for making you a better man. Go to it!
- We’re going to be getting to this site’s picks for the best light wash denim for spring in the coming weeks, but know that in the meantime, the fellas at Esquire.com told us this week how your jeans should fit right now.
- While we’re talking spring style upgrades, step up your footwear game with new kicks from M.Gemi — the premium Italian brand just launched the Netto Due, an absurdly beautiful set of hand-painted leather sneakers that are sharp enough to wear with a suit and versatile enough to pair with slim chinos and a casual pocket tee. You would really do well to invest in a pair.
- Let’s wrap this thing up early — shall we? The weekend awaits, after all. And if you need to upgrade your grooming game, take note — the Owen and Fred “You Dirty Dog” Grooming Kit should be your next buy — with everything from shaving cream to face wash, it’s three essential products designed to help you look and feel your best. Did I mention I covered it for GearMoose? Yes, indeed.
OK, onto the weekend — check back for tomorrow’s Style Pick of the Week, and have an outstanding weekend in the meantime!
Alright, folks — Happy St. Patrick’s Day! Over here, we’re buckling up for another Friday Read on The Style Guide, and we’re capping off a very busy week in the process. The days have flown by since I returned from a Style Guide spring break trip to Florida, choice #menswear gear in tow and all. The NYC weather certainly proved a bit of a rude awakening, what with snow and rain and sleet pounding the city during Winter Storm Stella — that meant a day of working from home (or the Style Guide’s Brooklyn HQ, as I like to call it). If you dodged the winter weather this week, good for you — raise a pint and of course, check out this site’s feature on how to dress for St. Patrick’s Day (hurry, there’s still time!).
We’re also in the midst of the opening weekend of the NCAA Tournament, and I’ll be fervently cheering on my Michigan State Spartans wearing some of my best team gear. If you need a few tips of your own when it comes to how to dress for March Madness, I’ve got you covered. And once the game wraps, I’ve got another busy weekend ahead — I’m hitting the road early Saturday to Pittsburgh to see perhaps my favorite band, Local Natives! That makes four shows in about five months, including my fall trek to Providence, and I couldn’t be any more pleased or excited! From powerful tracks off their most recent album, “Sunlit Youth,” through to classic offerings from “Gorilla Manor” and “Hummingbird,” I truly can’t wait to see ’em again! If you’ve got any suggestions for things to see or do in Pittsburgh, drop me a line. As per usual, you can follow me via Instagram or check out The Style Guide on Facebook to see how my trip goes — we’ll have a full travel style recap on Monday, too! In the meantime, enjoy your weekend and Go Green!
- Let’s kick things off here by discussing some stylish men’s watches — shall we? Namely, Bloomberg Pursuits caught up with our main man, and Style Guide favorite, Daniel Craig — they got the scoop on the watches he loves and wears.
- Speaking of tough, durable watches, are you familiar with the Huckberry Combat B33 GMT Watch? No, you say? Well, it was last week’s Style Pick of the Week, and I’d strongly urge you to check it out.
Another current Man of the Hour in matters of style, Ryan Gosling shows you how to wear your new blue suit .
Now, a word of warning — he might be the only one who can pull it off (womp, womp).
Be prepared to open up your wallet for this one — GQ tells us all about what could be your new favorite Oxford shirt
(if you can spare some extra cash).
Let’s end the week on a non-menswear note discussing perhaps my favorite movie of all-time — will there be a sequel to Gladiator
? Only time will tell; if Ridley Scott has anything to say about it, we just might get one, though!
We’re not quite set to roll into the weekend yet …
- No sir, we’ve got one more post for you — if you need a tough jacket to battle inclement spring weather, the Whipping Post Explorer Jacket was made for you. It’s my latest via GearMoose, and I had a great time writing it.
That’s all for now — join us for another Style Pick of the Week entry tomorrow!