Welcome to another weekly #menswear recap, whereby we’re looking back at some choice reads you should tick through this weekend. How was your week? It was a busy one in the Brooklyn “office” of The Style Guide, what with a PR client event via my day job on Wednesday night at the luxurious Beekman Hotel and a plethora of blogging in between. It’s a tough, sometimes sleep-deprived gig, but someone’s gotta do it! And in that regard, I sure am glad it’s the weekend.
If you’re setting out on a spring adventure, here’s the weekender bag you need to buy now. And if you could use some help organizing the rest of your gear, feast your eyes upon stylish dopp kits for spring travel. Oh, and if your weekend per chance calls for an early spring wedding? Wear any one of my picks for stylish men’s dress shoes to shop now. In the meantime, we’ve got a few more items for your perusal below — it’s quite tough to believe we’re nearly into May and staring down summer. I, for one, cannot wait for music festival season and a bit of summer travel. But for now, I think I’ll look toward Friday happy hour, some light reading and enjoyable spring weather. Join me, won’t ya? See you tomorrow for our Style Pick of the Week, and you can catch some of my style pursuits in the meantime on Instagram. Lastly — thanks for reading!
- I know I’ve been struck by the talent and deep, brooding and well, terrifying nature of some of Javier Bardem’s on-screen characters. Esquire continues to prove why they’re the best around when it comes to engaging and insightful profiles, and I’d urge you to check out their profile on Javier Bardem from this month’s print issue. Better yet, get out there and buy a copy.
- Want a light spring jacket or a pair of breezy trousers made with substantial, yet pliable, cotton fabric? Want them done up in one of a few beautiful shades of blue? That’s where the men’s and women’s style purveyors at 13 Bonaparte come into play. The French brand makes carefully crafted, refreshingly easygoing pieces fit for spring layering, from workwear shirt-jackets to band-collar shirts and unique, lightweight cotton trousers. The pieces are interchangeable via the brand’s numbered collection system (so, numbers 1-9, for example). The brand also releases two core collections a year, but it was the cool-looking denim shirt-jackets that caught my eye during a recent tour of the collection with Founder and Artistic Director David Sarfati. In all, it’s a continental take on pieces you already know — and only through this weekend, you can find them in NYC! Venture on down to 2 Rivington Street through Sunday to get a look at the brand yourself, and shop the 13 Bonaparte site for more.
- A lightweight spring henley is both specific and yet oddly tough to find, from time to time. I recently wrote about the Flint and Tinder Slub Henley and why you should buy it — and I’m here to tell you again: Buy it, layer it, wear it on its own… when those breezy spring and summer beach nights come along, you won’t regret it. And if you need an idea of just how to style it, take a look at our recent feature on how to upgrade your henley this season.
- Looking for a new addition to your everyday carry? It would behoove you to check out the excellent, tech-minded Cross Pens Peerless TrackR Pen. This ballpoint pen blends a pleasing weight and nice writing ability with the sort of technology more common to a Bond film. It syncs up with an app that tracks its location at all times — not too shabby. And it’d be a great Father’s Day gift — if you’re shopping around early, that is.
Last but certainly not least ….
- It seems to me that patio drinking season is in full force — at least, judging by the crowds around Brooklyn. Given that, I’d wager you’ll need some stylish bar crawl. And so I give you two guides: my 2016 guide to how to dress for a spring bar crawl, and my most recent bar crawl style guide for The Manual. Have a good one out there!
That’s it for today, folks.
Stay stylish for now,